Mega Man Anniversary Collection: PS2/GCN Pros and Cons

I have the Hori pad and it's still not worth the trouble. Yeah sure somepeople can get used to it but the issue here is they dont WANT to. People are used to jumping with the heel of their thumb and shooting with the tip of it, and there's no reason it shouldn't have stayed that way except that they wernt paying attention and thats's just sloppy.

Sure in this case the Video might be full screen and interviews may out weigh the cartoon on the PS2 version (why do people keep calling it "classic"? the show isnt THAT old!) but interviews can be hit and miss, plus the lack of music is a worse let down for the GC version.

For the hard core MM fan that must have EVERY single item with an incarnation of the blue bomber on it... but all the little niggles are annoying for more discriminating consumers.

[quote name='Alpha2']I have the Hori pad and it's still not worth the trouble. Yeah sure somepeople can get used to it but the issue here is they dont WANT to. People are used to jumping with the heel of their thumb and shooting with the tip of it, and there's no reason it shouldn't have stayed that way except that they wernt paying attention and thats's just sloppy.

Sure in this case the Video might be full screen and interviews may out weigh the cartoon on the PS2 version (why do people keep calling it "classic"? the show isnt THAT old!) but interviews can be hit and miss, plus the lack of music is a worse let down for the GC version.

For the hard core MM fan that must have EVERY single item with an incarnation of the blue bomber on it... but all the little niggles are annoying for more discriminating consumers.[/quote]

Jump with the heel, shoot with the tip... that's the PS2/SNES control scheme you're talking about (for MMX series and MM7) It's always been sideways like on the Cube (except reversed) on the NES games... shoot with the left side of your thumb, jump with your right side....

Even on the GBA games (MM&B, MMZ 1 and 2)

So... you're smoking crack.

[quote name='Alpha2']. . . interviews can be hit and miss . . . [/quote]

Sure, but its not just interviews . . . its a 24 minute documentary done by the G4 cable channel on the history of Megaman. It's pretty good because it explains with interviews and images.

I agree completely on the control issues . . . they should have made it selectable . . . there is no reason not to have user choice!

I At first, I was righteously pissed at the Cube control scheme......then, I kinda realized that it was for the better, at least in my case. the reveral of the jump button allows me to easily hit the "Auto-fire" button making it so that I bust some Reploid ass with extreme justice. By the time I beat Cutman in MM1, I was used to it and played 8 with no problems at all.

Reality's Fringe said:
the reveral of the jump button allows me to easily hit the "Auto-fire" button

I disagree. IMO I felt it was much harder to access the Y-button. My thumb literally had to jump back and forth from jump to auto-fire, causing me to not even use it. Even going from jump to fire (A-button), it's backwards so it makes my thumb movement seem awkward.

I'm a big Mega Man fan and was looking forward to getting it on GC, but ended up getting the PS2 version. I did play the GC version and the controls (sorry redgopher) were just to awkward. The controls feel good on PS2, not just the buttons, but the D-Pad as well. Plus I love the remixed music during play. I'm sorry to say, but if you got both systems get it on PS2.

So far I beat MM 1, 2, 3, and 8. I got the hidden cartoon which was cool.

I noticed the sound is kinda weird in Mega Man 8 on the PS2 version. Some boss voices talk faster and sounds like a chipmunk. Also some explosions are really loud. Besides that it's the same I think. How's MM 8 on GC?

I'm probably going to get the GC version. I'm used to using Ctrl to jump and Space bar to shoot, so the whole thing about pushing both buttons with one hand doesn't really apply, I don't think I'm going to have a problem with it. But really, screw these versions, the GBA collection is where it's all at. Why do they have to make me wait longer for the one I want more?

[quote name='livetnediser']I'm probably going to get the GC version. I'm used to using Ctrl to jump and Space bar to shoot, so the whole thing about pushing both buttons with one hand doesn't really apply, I don't think I'm going to have a problem with it. But really, screw these versions, the GBA collection is where it's all at. Why do they have to make me wait longer for the one I want more?[/quote]

GBA collection is the old Game Boy Mega Man games 1 thru 5.. not the NES games. Just so you know.

I bought the GC version and have no complaints. I was rocking MM1 on my widescreen TV and it looked/played fine. I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but why not get an arcade stick? Then the button placement isn't as much of an issue.

I used a Naki (Nyko?) GC->PS2 converter and a Interplay arcade stick. I got both from KBtoys.com a while back for under $10 total. Can't beat that with a stick.

bread's done
Back