Mega Man ZX - Out on the 13th, an awesome change to the series!

[quote name='Logain8955']I really like the game. The different forms are much more than the typical "MegaMan Different Weapon Upgrade", as they will change how you move and what the bottom screen is used for. (My favorite so far is Lx, which lets you see a map on the bottom screen that shows where items are.) One thing I will say, is the map system *sucks*. They'll give you a mission "Go and kill bad guy in Area F." (It's actually called area F.) But, [bold]*they dont tell you where the fuck Area F is*[/bold].

And it's not like Area F is connected to Area E. No, no no. It's off of Area B-3.

Other than that, it's an awesome game.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so that's what Gamespy meant.

Game is pretty awesome... kind of hard, too.

I thought Giro was a girl until they said "He" and "Him"... even the way he stands is feminine.

I tried the game out for about a half hour... it's really damn good so far. I'm waiting to get back to college where my headphones are before I play further.

Very positive first impression though.

fuck fuck fuck!!!! I hate the fucking holiday season. They could've released all these damn games ages ago, but no, they lump them all together and plop them out accross a three month span.

Someone really needs to tell the VG industry that people do infact buys games year round, not just the "holiday" season.

/rant

I hope GS/EB is still offering that three for ten deal, because I'm going to have a shit ton of games to trade in. :bomb:

[quote name='-Never4ever-']
I hope GS/EB is still offering that three for ten deal, because I'm going to have a shit ton of games to trade in. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yea, they are, it's how I got Harvest Moon and Megaman ZX for $3.33.

Oh man I need to get this, sounds really great. But I know the minute I get it, there well be a price error or something like that. 3 for 10 deal? What in the world are you talking about?

So nobody else got this game? I'm about 6 hours in, I probably have about an hour left to go, maybe more if I want to do the side quests and the optional stuff.

Game has been pretty damn good.

Fun game, but the map system can break it at times.

I spent two hours wandering around looking for some area. After going into warehouses on fire and attempting to navigate through some other areas, I finally gave up and Gamefaq'd where I had to go.

If they fixed that for a sequel and gave us an on-screen map system, the game would be amazing.

The first time I wandered around looking for an area I said to myself "screw this... the map thing will dampen my enjoyment" and promptly went to GameFaqs for the map gif.

Next game they should cut out the whole contiguous map thing and go back to traditional megaman levels. The gameplay in MMZX is excellent... there's no reason to try to go the Metroidvania route with megaman...

Finally beat the game... took me about 8 hours, 2 of which is dying on the last boss and having to do the WHOLE thing over again. This game has some good Mega Man like gameplay, but the execution leaves alot to be desired. I didn't even know that the shadow, fire, and wind forms had a charge up move until the end of the game :lol:

I mean, it's a good start, but I did no sidequests at all and only grabbed two energy tanks (the other two are a pain in the ass to get)... I hope the sequel expands upon the world a bit and dosen't make it such a pain to backtrack. Anything involving area L was too much hassle for me.

All in all, I like it, it's a good start to the series that Capcom will definitely improve in the next version, kind of like how MMZ 2 ----> MMZ 1.

Where am I supposed to go in area K? I made it to the top of the vertical-filling-lava section, switched the lava flow to "Slow" then... well... yeah can't seem to get anywhere.

There's a red door towards the left of the upper area but I can't seem to do anything with it.

So far I've beaten all of the pseudoroids, at around 9 hrs in after doing some of the side quests. I guess I have to go beat the last boss?

The map system... ugh. Definitely could use some better organization. It's hard to remember where all of the exits in a stage are located.

Who's bright idea was it to have the bosses respawn after a while? I noticed something like "so-and-so-boss has been location in X-Y," so I go there and beat the boss, and so on for each boss. Then I see the message saying that the first boss I killed (that I've now killed twice already) has been located again. I was thinking WTH was I just doing? Only when I talked to one of the people at the HQ did I learn about the pseudoroid regen ability. X_X

I thought having to stay in human form while in the city was sorta interesting, but I have no idea why they bothered; you can transform right in front of someone before talking to them and nothing bad happens.

Overall, it's been a good game, but the side quests are a bit annoying (go back to the place you just left and find something where a secret disc used to be!).

[quote name='Squee']So far I've beaten all of the pseudoroids, at around 9 hrs in after doing some of the side quests. I guess I have to go beat the last boss?

The map system... ugh. Definitely could use some better organization. It's hard to remember where all of the exits in a stage are located.

Who's bright idea was it to have the bosses respawn after a while? I noticed something like "so-and-so-boss has been location in X-Y," so I go there and beat the boss, and so on for each boss. Then I see the message saying that the first boss I killed (that I've now killed twice already) has been located again. I was thinking WTH was I just doing? Only when I talked to one of the people at the HQ did I learn about the pseudoroid regen ability. X_X

I thought having to stay in human form while in the city was sorta interesting, but I have no idea why they bothered; you can transform right in front of someone before talking to them and nothing bad happens.

Overall, it's been a good game, but the side quests are a bit annoying (go back to the place you just left and find something where a secret disc used to be!).[/QUOTE]

The droids respawn so you can beat them with a level 4 victory... don't hit their weak spots and you'll get the chip at max power instead of having to spend crystals to "repair" it.

Are you saying that you can keep beating a boss until you get a level 4 victory and the chip will be repaired? For example, if I beat a boss with a level 3 and get the chip, beating the boss with a level 4 after it respawns will allow me to automatically get the level 4 undamaged version? What happens if you do worse?

[quote name='Squee']Are you saying that you can keep beating a boss until you get a level 4 victory and the chip will be repaired? For example, if I beat a boss with a level 3 and get the chip, beating the boss with a level 4 after it respawns will allow me to automatically get the level 4 undamaged version? What happens if you do worse?[/QUOTE]

Nothing happens if you do worse, you can only upgrade, not downgrade.

In the end, I didn't have any of my chips maxed out, it really dosen't matter since the final boss isn't weak to any chip anyways... I just used normal ZX form.

I just beat the game using Vent a couple of hours ago. I thought the last boss was going to have more forms... guess not. Hooray for doing spinning slashes in place! In my opinion, the only forms with much use are ZX and model H.

I've started hard mode using Aile, now have both parts of models H & P. Boss attacks are basically more numerous, stronger, and faster. Are there any real differences in the storylines for the two characters? The whole two-playable-characters aspect doesn't seem as fleshed out as it could have been.

I'm not sure why, but the names Aile and Vent just seem to go together and remind me of "airvent."

[quote name='Squee']I just beat the game using Vent a couple of hours ago. I thought the last boss was going to have more forms... guess not. Hooray for doing spinning slashes in place! In my opinion, the only forms with much use are ZX and model H.

I've started hard mode using Aile, now have both parts of models H & P. Boss attacks are basically more numerous, stronger, and faster. Are there any real differences in the storylines for the two characters? The whole two-playable-characters aspect doesn't seem as fleshed out as it could have been.

I'm not sure why, but the names Aile and Vent just seem to go together and remind me of "airvent."[/QUOTE]

I never went back and tried it on hard mode... I didn't really feel compelled to play it again so soon and deal with that shitty map system. I mean, I do appreciate the change going to the new direction, but they could have done the whole "everything is interconnected" approach alot better.

Backtracking in places like Area L with the stupid satellites is nerve racking, I could have done without it.

But like I said earlier, this is just the beginning, I imagine Megaman ZX 2 will blow this one away.

X_X ... I finally beat omega zero in hard mode... that was most, how should I say it... excruciating, especially with no life ups or subtanks or any items. Frickin' lame dashing air-juggling combo that automatically kills me when it connects! Not to mention he heals with that cheap barrier move. If we could only have a mega man game where we could use this game's version of zero... :drool:

[quote name='WildWop']The first time I wandered around looking for an area I said to myself "screw this... the map thing will dampen my enjoyment" and promptly went to GameFaqs for the map gif.

Next game they should cut out the whole contiguous map thing and go back to traditional megaman levels. The gameplay in MMZX is excellent... there's no reason to try to go the Metroidvania route with megaman...[/QUOTE]

Or thye could, you know, put a map on one of the screens.

I finally beat hard mode with Aile. It took me quite a while to figure out how to approach the last boss' second form; I don't remember the boss being very hard on normal. The storyline actually has some noticeable differences compared to Vent's.

I went back and tried out model OX. I'm thinking, why couldn't I get all of the elemental powers in one form like this earlier in the game??? Or at least have elemental chips like the Zero series. Model ZX + elemental powers + infinite overdrive moves = pwnage.

I cant remember the last time a megaman game did not give you at least one energy capsule in between the boss battles at the end of the game.

Shenanigans.

I suppose they expect me to do all those fetch quests to get the other two sub tanks?

I just got this game today and after about 1 hour worth of play I wished I never even glanced at it in the store. Stupid impulse purchase.

Stupid question, but on a scale of 1-10 how important is it to play through the other Mega Man Zero games first? I've got 1-3 right now and haven't put in the time to beat any of them yet.

[quote name='furyk']Stupid question, but on a scale of 1-10 how important is it to play through the other Mega Man Zero games first? I've got 1-3 right now and haven't put in the time to beat any of them yet.[/QUOTE]

I only played MMZ 2 and I understood the story just fine. It takes place 100 years or so in the future so it dosen't really tie into the old MMZ storyline all that much.

[quote name='Ebraum']I just got this game today and after about 1 hour worth of play I wished I never even glanced at it in the store. Stupid impulse purchase.[/QUOTE]

So, I'm taking it that you hate it? :(

Bought it. Beat it. Traded it back for credit toward Yggra Union. I’m not gonna knock the game for what it did right (gameplay, pacing, handsome little graphics), but I agree with the rest of you; the map system is totally brokededed.

[quote name='SinnerChrno']So, I'm taking it that you hate it? :([/QUOTE]

Pretty much. My first Mega man game. I guess it's just not for me.

bread's done
Back