Megaman Legends 3 Cancelled

[quote name='SuperPhillip']One is a savelocked game that should be included with Revelations, and the other is a late port. Great effort by Capcom.[/QUOTE]
Oh bullshit. They released a great game that uses Spotpass, Streetpass, online multiplayer, and runs at 60fps. What more could you realistically ask for from a 3rd party at launch?

[quote name='Strell']You say that now, but when we get "Feenicks Write" as a character with dredlocks, orange shorts, and a gigantic flashlight, you'll see. You'll all see.[/QUOTE]
I think we'll get it. Layton sells, even if Nick doesn't, and Level-5 can get shit done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']Oh bullshit. They released a great game that uses Spotpass, Streetpass, online multiplayer, and runs at 60fps. What more could you realistically ask for from a 3rd party at launch?[/QUOTE]
The sad thing is that no matter how you argue SSFIV being bad or Resident Evil the Mercenaries they're easily among the best on the system. What fighting game is actually better than SSFIV? You have Dead or Alive which is extremely different, but could be and Blazblue CS 2 which is by a wide margin the worst 3ds game. Some could argue that it is in fact the worst DS game too (I mean it lacks standby). This being said I honestly don't see the issue since you cant be the best off theory, but in practice vs other games.

Anyways... Did anyone actually have faith in this game? They ported the first to the PSP and only Japan got that... I think its pretty clear Rockman will only exist in half ass network ports.

[quote name='pete5883']I think we'll get it. Layton sells, even if Nick doesn't, and Level-5 can get shit done.[/QUOTE]

Level 5 is becoming the de facto premiere Japanese developer. Man, I can't wait to see DQX.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Exactly. Capcom has a really strange project approval system. Basically there is a board of higher-ups who have been with the company for ages. Virtually none of them play games let alone have actually developed them. They're all suits.

Teams come up with concepts and submit them to the board and then, if they get approved, they go ahead and make the game. However, many teams are so passionate about their ideas that they will stay and work on prototypes on their own time. This is exactly what happened with both Dead Rising and Lost Planet.[/QUOTE]
Did the original Dead Rising and Lost Planet have tons of community involvement with the character designs? Planned playable "alphas"?

I realize they always said it was never officially greenlit, but how many projects that aren't greenlit are shown off to this degree.
Very strange situation. Ultimate tease.

I know, I remember when Inafune stated as such.
But I don't really know if that was the case for this game considering how much they showed it off. That's just not normal.

Capcom can go to hell now. I mean seriously, Ultimate MvC 3 while Megaman Legends 3 goes dead. This is just horrible, ruining a franchise like this. I mean I don't need 18,000 megaman games, but give us Legends 3, something different.

I don't even know if I will even consider buying a Capcom game in the next year unless I can upgrade my MvC 3. MvC 3 had nothing content wise, they have the 3rd person Left 4 Dead Clone, and I mean I don't know if I even want to consider buying the RE4 remake now.

I just think it's the pinch of the recession kicked in for capcom. It seems they want to survive the recession. I bet if legends 3 was coming out in 2008 or 2007 when the economy was in better shape capcom wouldn't mind losing money on it.

That's nintendo's stance with the trio of jrpg's to them it's bleeding cash in some form. They really don't want to end up like sega. Even Iwata had that fear in 06 with the wii. They would've been doing software instead of hardware and software if the wii failed.

But capcom has been saying for months on their blog that the project wasn't doing so hot. So I don't understand the media's obsession with saying it was killed within the last 24 hours!!! How dare capcom!!! Guess it shows the short attention Span of American media :lol: it pretty much was doa when the demo wasn't coming out on the eshop. A lot of cags agreed that was the tipping point.

Don't get me wrong it sucks. But there's a chance it will come back in the years ahead , the economy should hopefully be in better shape at that point.

Also, capcom is like Hollywood in the recession, by pumping out the street fighter games and marvel vs cacpom games it's keeping them going. Transformers sucks as a movie(lacks substance but it's keeping paramount and speilberg, micheal bay well funded for other projects).

My biggest thing is that legends was dying or a tease, depending at you look at it. but gaming media needs to say that hey it was already dead months ago.

[quote name='rocky435']I just think it's the pinch of the recession kicked in for capcom. It seems they want to survive the recession. I bet if legends 3 was coming out in 2008 or 2007 when the economy was in better shape capcom wouldn't mind losing money on it.

That's nintendo's stance with the trio of jrpg's to them it's bleeding cash in some form. They really don't want to end up like sega. Even Iwata had that fear in 06 with the wii. They would've been doing software instead of hardware and software if the wii failed.

But capcom has been saying for months on their blog that the project wasn't doing so hot. So I don't understand the media's obsession with saying it was killed within the last 24 hours!!! How dare capcom!!! Guess it shows the short attention Span of American media :lol: it pretty much was doa when the demo wasn't coming out on the eshop. A lot of cags agreed that was the tipping point.

Don't get me wrong it sucks. But there's a chance it will come back in the years ahead , the economy should hopefully be in better shape at that point.

Also, capcom is like Hollywood in the recession, by pumping out the street fighter games and marvel vs cacpom games it's keeping them going. Transformers sucks as a movie(lacks substance but it's keeping paramount and speilberg, micheal bay well funded for other projects).

My biggest thing is that legends was dying or a tease, depending at you look at it. but gaming media needs to say that hey it was already dead months ago.[/QUOTE]

I agree, well said

[quote name='rocky435']I just think it's the pinch of the recession kicked in for capcom. It seems they want to survive the recession. I bet if legends 3 was coming out in 2008 or 2007 when the economy was in better shape capcom wouldn't mind losing money on it.

My biggest thing is that legends was dying or a tease, depending at you look at it. but gaming media needs to say that hey it was already dead months ago.[/QUOTE]
I pretty much agree with your post, but there becomes a problem when it's yes there is a recession but there is nothing good or new coming out from your end. There is a new Ultimate MvC 3, a Left 4 Dead ripoff, and re releases of 2 RE games.

I mean I don't need lots of new and different games coming out, but it makes me frustrated as a gamer when your only offerings are a upgrade, remake or a ripoff.

I don't see how a game being released for a handheld takes anything away from the console version or the franchise itself. It's not like consoles and handhelds are in direct competition with one another. If you enjoyed a console game, why on earth would you NOT want a portable version of that game. I think you're making the mistake of assuming that every time a game is released, it's intended to be a direct successor of the most recent game in the franchise. I also think that playing a game on a small screen right in front of your face is pretty similar to playing on a larger screen that's all the way across the room. This thread just feels a lot like complaining for the sake of complaining.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I personally prefer gaming on a handheld much more than I do consoles now, and I grew up playing on consoles. Considering MML3 was one of the main reasons I purchased a 3DS, it looks like I may be trading my system in...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you're an idiot for buying a system for a game that wasn't even greenlit. Plus buying a system for one game.

The end. :)

Wow OP I dont think you understand what is going on in this industry. Basically you either take that much lower cost portable game sequel or you dont ever get it. Japan is mess, they can barely handle HD console games and their outrageous development costs. Niche games especially only have the portable scene for survival now and with all the gimmicky waggle devices, mini games and cell phone scene maybe not much longer either. Support them or just watch your favorite genres die off.

[quote name='KingBroly']Here's the problem with Mega Man: It never made a proper jump into 3D. Legends was cool, but it wasn't a proper Mega Man game.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious.

To join in on the discussion, I'm pretty majorly pissed as well. MML3 wasn't my selling point for the 3DS, more often than not I'm willing to give Ninty the benefit of the doubt since they are what I grew up with. However, the announcement of MML3 brought me so much joy since it was a game I'd been waiting a whole decade for. I know Inafune had stated several times that he "got games made" by going ahead with projects without the official green light, but surely they didn't get shown to the extent that MML3 was? I mean, I know the other main two were totally new IP's at the time, so obviously Legends would automatically receive way more coverage(not arguments from me there) but surely if it hadn't had a very real chance at getting completed they wouldn't have announced it and revealed as much for it as they had? I mean, they were giving us an alpha build/paid demo thingy, had a pretty strong community going in the dev room, and produced a good amount of covereage all of their own accord. Even without the media bringing this to the forefront of discussions this game would have been known about nearly just as much just by the work Capcom did promoting it themselves. Trailers, released gameplay footage, devroom events, and I even saw some posters. That's not something a company does when a select team are working on their own time to try and will this game to be made.

This has got to be one of the most upsetting cancellations in video game history. I'm still clinging to that small piece of hope that all this fan reaction actually makes them bring it back to life. Who knows, maybe this was part of their plan all along to get a better grasp on the audience this game has? Either way, it's a pretty douchebag move and an extremely shitty way of treating their fans. I feel as if they just dangled it out there in front of all of us and snatched it away without any real reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cochesecochese']Fuel meet fire

http://twitter.com/#!/CapcomEuro/status/93720826087620608

lulz[/QUOTE]
You know, I had a hunch they might base a greenlight decision on participation in their community site. After the voting for the heroine, the major western gaming sites didn't seem to cover them anymore, so I assume participation dropped off. Capcom isn't going to expect much of an audience when no one is paying attention to what they're doing with a game online. :/

Us: "CAPCOM, why don't you release the old games on PSN to build hype?"
CAPCOM: "lolno"
Us: "Why don't you release that eShop demo you were making to build hype?"
Us: "Why don't you put Volnutt Mega Man in UMvC 3 to build hype?"
CAPCOM: "lolno."
Us: "CAPCOM, why did you cancel your game?"
CAPCOM: "No one was hyped. Nice job, morons. Buy UMvC 3."

[quote name='pete5883']You know, I had a hunch they might base a greenlight decision on participation in their community site. After the voting for the heroine, the major western gaming sites didn't seem to cover them anymore, so I assume participation dropped off. Capcom isn't going to expect much of an audience when no one is paying attention to what they're doing with a game online. :/[/QUOTE]

That could be true as well, It did still have a pretty strong base, but the numbers were definitely tapered off from what they were in the beginning. The obvious problem with Crapcom thinking that way would be: WE DON'T ALL WANT TO MAKE GAMES(or even be a small part of the development of one)! Some of us only want to play them. I know, I know, it's hard to wrap your head around such a concept, Capcom. But really, it's most definitely so.

[quote name='62t']Us: "CAPCOM, why don't you release the old games on PSN to build hype?"
Us: "Why don't you release that eShop demo you were making to build hype?"
Us: "Why don't you put Volnutt Mega Man in UMvC 3 to build hype?"
CAPCOM: "lolno."
Us: "CAPCOM, why did you cancel your game?"
CAPCOM: "No one was hyped. Nice job, morons. Buy UMvC 3."[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up.

wasent Capcom trying to charge $5 for the Mega Men Legends 3 demo? Im not much into Megaman because I got my ass kicked as a kid on the NES versions, never touched one since....bad memories.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ok, I wasn't as fired up about this as other people about this cancellation but this is some bullshit. Originally it was "well we'll see how the demo does on the e-shop" now we were supposed to show some involvement beyond downloading a demo that never came? fuck off Capcom.[/QUOTE]

Since the prototype demo was supposed to gauge fan interest, how else were they going to get involved? Fans voted on designs. Fans even created designs that were going to be used in the game. I'm not all that interested in the Legends series, but that is some serious BS on Capcom's part.

Darn it, I was looking forward to a new MML game! I grew up with the Legends games and this was going to be amazing even if the game kind of sucked. I can't believe Capcom didn't even get to the point where they would release a demo!

[quote name='thirdrose']Since the prototype demo was supposed to gauge fan interest, how else were they going to get involved? Fans voted on designs. Fans even created designs that were going to be used in the game. I'm not all that interested in the Legends series, but that is some serious BS on Capcom's part.[/QUOTE]

No one's really sure right now and the Capcom Euro twitter account has gone insane. Whoever is manning it made comments about how the dev room wasn't popular enough.

What the hell else were we supposed to do? Code the damn thing?

[quote name='thirdrose']Since the prototype demo was supposed to gauge fan interest, how else were they going to get involved? Fans voted on designs. Fans even created designs that were going to be used in the game. I'm not all that interested in the Legends series, but that is some serious BS on Capcom's part.[/QUOTE]
You just answered your own question. If few fans are voting, interest looks low.

I would agree with you if you named any games that were graphically complex, but all those games were not that graphically great to begin with, so I'm not sure how they really benefited that much from being on consoles only.

pasxW.jpg

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
I hate to say it, but Megaman is now looking worse than Sonic did 4-5 yeard ago.[/QUOTE]
That is true, and Sonic has had some bleak moments in its history. Say what you will about Sega, but they would have never done this.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That is true, and Sonic has had some bleak moments in its history. Say what you will about Sega, but they would have never done this.[/QUOTE]
No they would not. I mean Sonic 06 wasn't good but you know what, it still came out. Sega learned from that and now we have Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.

Capcom has nothing in store for anything in the Megaman Universe. It's sad to see this because I am a huge Megaman fan.

They (Capcom) are obviously insulting our intelligence and patronizing us at this point. I suppose you could call it trolling as well because for them to try to make us honestly believe that a PAID DOWNLOADABLE DEMO that was supposedly almost complete wasn't financially viable is horseshit. Either the demo was never going to happen and they used it to keep eyes on them or it was pretty far off from being released despite their claims it would be ready for E-Shop launch. Either way, they lied to us at some point along the way or, at the very least, were drastically inflating the truth.

Like I said, they're insulting our intelligence with this or this entire venture has been out of vindictiveness toward Inafune for leaving with a desired outcome of burying the Mega Man IP. Clearly something has been wrong when he left because 23 year veterans don't normally pick up and leave a company saying that they want to start their life over.

At any rate, Capcom's entire community relations is suspect at this point. Particularly in light of this little nugget. Remember that $60 you spent on MvC 3 5 months ago? Well you might as well consider it wasted because now everybody'll be playing the new and improved version which your copy can't be upgraded to.

Capcom, Ultimate trolls

[quote name='62t']
pasxW.jpg
[/QUOTE]

If that's true (it is 4chan after all) then all I have to say is, we need pictures, or better yet, video of it. Release it to some major gaming sites and Capcom will have a shitstorm heading their way- even by people who've never played a Capcom game.

Of course, Capcom will probably come up with an excuse to make themselves look like the good guys. "We didn't let her in because she was stabbing people who wanted to check out Super Ultra Street Fighter 4 Ultra Mix Edition and the latest Resident Evil Port (RE4 on the TI-83!!)."

EDIT* I have no idea why that image is so huge in my post...

[quote name='Vinny']If that's true (it is 4chan after all) then all I have to say is, we need pictures, or better yet, video of it. Release it to some major gaming sites and Capcom will have a shitstorm heading their way- even by people who've never played a Capcom game.

Of course, Capcom will probably come up with an excuse to make themselves look like the good guys. "We didn't let her in because she was stabbing people who wanted to check out Super Ultra Street Fighter 4 Ultra Mix Edition and the latest Resident Evil Port (RE4 on the TI-83!!)."

EDIT* I have no idea why that image is so huge in my post...[/QUOTE]
While it is 4chan but I firmly believe this is true. Just being there long enough, I can tell whoever this poster is, is probably telling the truth. Although yeah we do need pics of this because that's just wrong.

I don't normally like to troll Capcom since the only games of theirs I like and frequently purchase games in are RE, Phoenix Wright and a handful of Mega Man titles but since they're not bringing over AAI2 or Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright and canning MML3 (and then blaming it on the fans) and considering how much flack EA and Activision gets, I think it's fair that Capcom starts feeling some internet nerd rage.

This sums up their recent activities nicely:
http://www.gamingsurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/capcom-mistakes.jpg

[quote name='62t']http://twitter.com/#!/Protodude/status/94104964938473472[/QUOTE]

They should try to locate that cosplayer too... I mean, that's gotta be a real cunt punt (I'm assuming it was a girl) to put in the work dress up like Tron and then having Capcom kick you out. It's like a mother who doesn't love their child anymore.

THIS IS A NOTICE TO ANYONE BELIEVING LIES ABOUT PEOPLE BEING KICKED OUT.

I hovered around the capcom booth all day talking with people about the cancellation. Not a single megaman cosplayer or "Save Megaman" supporter was kicked out. This stupid rumor started on 4chan and if you believe it, youre a moron for thinking it is real.

I REPEAT, THE CONGOERS BEING KICKED OUT RUMORS ARE FALSE!

Also, http://www.facebook.com/pages/100000-Strong-for-Bringing-Back-Mega-Man-Legends-3/149316248475958

I read this comment on Reddit and thought it was funny but then realized that it was probably true.
Inafune who created Mega Man left Capcom and pointed out flaws in their company/management and they are now butthurt is all I can figure.

[quote name='Vinny']I read this comment on Reddit and thought it was funny but then realized that it was probably true.[/QUOTE]
You know that makes perfect sense. As a highly respected game designer, I can see him wanting to leave the company if Capcom are literally forcing decisions on him, he doesn't want to make. I would like to hear his full point of view on the situation because really why would you leave Capcom after how many years now unless it was retirement.

In 3-4 years I can see capcom on the verge of not existing or having to merge with a company. Their future looks bleak with only like four new games that are not fighters coming out. Two which are resident evil.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']You know that makes perfect sense. As a highly respected game designer, I can see him wanting to leave the company if Capcom are literally forcing decisions on him, he doesn't want to make. I would like to hear his full point of view on the situation because really why would you leave Capcom after how many years now unless it was retirement.

In 3-4 years I can see capcom on the verge of not existing or having to merge with a company. Their future looks bleak with only like four new games that are not fighters coming out. Two which are resident evil.[/QUOTE]

They are not in any trouble as long as Monster Hunter is selling in Japan

Why would we want Inafune's input on anything with relation to this? Someone needs to convince me, because the dood spends a few years trashing A) his company and B) his entire country's videogame output while championing some narrow minded American style weeaboophileness, only to leave and form his own company making browser based cutesy Popcap wannabe games.

It doesn't help that he rides the success of Megaman for a few decades before coming out with some backhanded "Oh right, I'm only about half responsible for him," and even that is being generous.

At this point, Inafune just strikes me as preachy. He talks some big storm about this and that, and then goes and does the opposite. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a while, because maybe this first venture of his is a capital/resource vacuum, and then he'll start delivering on his massive promises and theories. But I can't shake the feeling that he's going to say something and do the opposite and then tell people he can't be questioned because Hey, You ever hear of a little series of games called Megaman? Yeah, I thought so too.

It might be interesting to see what he has to say on the subject based on his initial proximity to it alone, but at this point he's out of the loop and has little perspective. You might as well get Ono's word on it, because Ono is actually at Capcom making games when he's not crossdressing in bad wigs.

Wasn't Dead Rising also designed by Inafune? So much so, that he kept on developing it after Capcom told him to kill the project? Yet that franchise is getting both a new "title" (that's admittedly little more than a cashgrab) and a representative in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Seems like if they were truly out to destroy Inafune's legacy, they'd also kill that franchise...then again, Dead Rising is actually fairly successful.

I don't think I've ever seen this much drama over a game cancellation, and I don't understand why. I'd think most gamers that have been around long enough to play MML2 would be used to this kind of thing. This isn't the first I won't be able to play due to cancellations/not getting localized/focus getting diverted to other projects for so long that the game is never formally cancelled but we all know the game will never come out.

[quote name='Salamando3000']

I don't think I've ever seen this much drama over a game cancellation, and I don't understand why. I'd think most gamers that have been around long enough to play MML2 would be used to this kind of thing. This isn't the first I won't be able to play due to cancellations/not getting localized/focus getting diverted to other projects for so long that the game is never formally cancelled but we all know the game will never come out.[/QUOTE]
I think it's the way Capcom handled it in the whole PR situation and the same time they announced UMvC3.

If they announced a few weeks later and said, hey were sorry this game isn't looking up to the quality of our other titles and well we don't want to release something you fans would hate. Then well I think they would be more generally accepted by gamers. Saying oh we canceled it because you were not active enough in the development process kinda rubbed gamers the wrong way.

bread's done
Back