Megaman Legends 3: Prototype Version

sandmanzero

CAGiversary!
Megaman Legends is back for the 3DS and it looks like there's going to be a snippet of the game downloadable on the eShop in May.
mmL3.jpg

http://youtu.be/nSzzXnv5JYo

"Mega Man Legends 3" is a big experiment for Capcom. Throughout the course of the game's development, the company will open certain development and design choices up to fans through online voting. Seems the experiment isn't just limited to the game's development process, but also to its release schedule. Capcom is planning on releasing a small portion of the game with the title, "Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version," as part of Nintendo's 3DS eShop launch festivities.

According to the official announcement, "'Prototype Version' gives players the first taste of Mega Man's upcoming open-world action/adventure game, and lets them see a game still early in the development process."

In addition to a small chunk of the game, "Prototype Version" will also include work-in-progress areas and debug options which unlock special abilities."

This is pretty cool news. It's a $2 dollar download but I think it's worth it considering the 10 year wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done playing the first legends. Amazon had Mega Man 64, brand new, on sale back in November or so and I just got around to playing it. It was a pretty magical experience. Now I need to find Legends 2 on the PSOne. So considering how hyped I am, I will be downloading this day one and getting the actual game day one lol :p

i heard this 2$ demo will determine whether or not the actual game will get greenlit since it's still not quite there. aka, buy this.

ah heres the article:
[quote name='Silconera']Mazakazu Eguchi, director of Mega Man Legends 3, recently updated the game’s development blog with some talk of the upcoming Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype Version, a paid preview version of the game that will launch with the Nintendo 3DS eShop in May.

You may recall that Legends 3 is a project that still isn’t entirely “greenlit,” meaning that that higher-ups at Capcom aren’t fully convinced of its viability. This is where the Prototype Version comes in. Eguchi says that the Prototype Version was shown off internally at Capcom to a “top-notch” reception.

He then touches upon how the Prototype Version will be used to gauge interest in the game, which could factor into whether or not a full game will be developed:

“As it happens, it was decided that the prototype version of the game we had submitted within the company would be sold as a downloadable—“Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype Version”. Furthermore, the heat and excitement surrounding this downloadable title would determine whether or not the full game could be greenlit. If hype is strong, the full title will be a go. If not, it’s a no-go. I don’t even want to think about that outcome!”

Note that Eguchi doesn’t use the word “sales,” but opts for “heat and excitement” instead.[/quote]
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/2...t-hinges-on-the-prototype-versions-reception/

Damnit, Capcom is so full of shit sometimes. I'll buy it because I want to see it "green light" but I'm pissed they are still pulling that tactic. I'll give them their crappy $2.

I never played the first two games, hope they will be available on PSN if not already or a ports of the first two games on one disc/cartridge would be nice.

[quote name='themaster20000']The game already got the green light,there moving forward with it.[/QUOTE]
source? cuz the article i linked is only yesterday

This is fucking BS that they are blackmailing the fans into a $2 demo so there is a chance for a full game

[quote name='M-PG71C']Damnit, Capcom is so full of shit sometimes. I'll buy it because I want to see it "green light" but I'm pissed they are still pulling that tactic. I'll give them their crappy $2.[/QUOTE]

From what I gathered, it seems as though this prototype is like a Megaman Legends 2.5. Set between the end of 2 and at the beginning of 3.

On the one hand, I love MML and would do nasty, dirty things to secure a sequel. Two bucks is nothing, so I'm all the more ahead that this is all Capcom wants.

On the other, Capcom doing this is bullshit worthy of the mightiest of trolls, leveraging a game to fans by asking for us to pay for a damned beta demo.

But then again, only two bucks for a game I desperately want to be released.

Sigh. It just feels gross. Why not port MML1/2 to generate some quick revenue/interest? Why even bother with the game at this point when you basically hold all the cards, and could thus claim anything at all? I.e., don't have to tell us specific download numbers and then cancel it, or disband the team already and just release whatever is done, etc. It's practically asking fans to fund the development costs, something traditionally done after we get our hands on the game. But I guess we're getting part of a game, and the price reflects that. *ugh*

If it shows up on the US shop for $2, I'll probably gift a bunch of them to people just to artificially up the count. Catch 22.

Most of the reaction towards Capcom has been that they're holding this game hostage through the demo. I guess the question we all have to answer is whether or not we want to negotiate with terrorists. Hyperbole, I know, but there is a fear of setting a precedent here.

I am not ready to buy a 3DS yet. Plain and simple. I hope there is a way to access the Nintendo eshop through a PC and buy the download that way (doubtful, I know).

I know one thing, if after all this crap they just up and state, "You know guys, we just can't garner enough interest for this game so we're forced to cancel it" I will NEVER buy another Capcom game new, I'll just buy them used at GameStop. I'll eat shit on a stick before supporting their douchebaggery. So needless to say, it better get released.

[quote name='DQT']Most of the reaction towards Capcom has been that they're holding this game hostage through the demo. I guess the question we all have to answer is whether or not we want to negotiate with terrorists. Hyperbole, I know, but there is a fear of setting a precedent here.

I am not ready to buy a 3DS yet. Plain and simple. I hope there is a way to access the Nintendo eshop through a PC and buy the download that way (doubtful, I know).[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to get a 3DS until Megaman Legends 3 was released. It's the one game that would make me get a 3DS. I really want this game to see the light of day. Hopefully if I get the fire burning is some message boards people will talk about it. Capcom suits must really be stubborn about making this game and seem to be out of touch about what the fans want.

Which why they should scrap games people don't want *cough* DMC reboot *cough* and put the funding towards a game people have been waiting for a decade to play.

I fear for the repercussions this could have, but it's been so long... At this point I'd pay $20 for their stinking demo just to jump back into the world after all these years, even if it ends up only being 5 minutes of playtime. I hate that they're doing this but after such a long period of time and being worried that it might actually get cancelled if this doesn't do well, I don't exactly have a choice. *sighs*

If this is like a case zero or Prologus type of deal, where you got some stuff not in the main game, that would be fine.

Then again I don't want another Mega Man Universe where they canceled it because the don't think Mega Man is popular

[quote name='62t']If this is like a case zero type of deal, where you got some stuff not in the main game, that would be fine.

Then again I don't want another Mega Man Universe where they canceled it because the don't think Mega Man is popular[/QUOTE]

I don't know why Capcom is worried about MEGAMAN of all franchises not selling. If they made Megaman toilet paper it would sell.

Like someone on neogaf suggested, why not have the prototype as a preorder bonus? That way people who paid are putting their money down towards the full game, and capcom can also gauge interest.

[quote name='sandmanzero']I don't know why Capcom is worried about MEGAMAN of all franchises not selling. If they made Megaman toilet paper it would sell.[/QUOTE]

Well the Legends franchise was a failure to them since it sold horribly.That's why they think there taking a huge risk with this.

I loved the first two MML, and just like strell would probably do evil dirty things to get a third one (just probably not as dirty or evil). I will definitely pay $2 to hope to see this over here, because this game is a day one purchase for me.

I am going to buy a 3ds just for this game. I think the 2$ is to help cover the cost of putting the demo on the Eshop. Sony charges publishers a bandwidth fee to put up free demos on the psn so I think Nintendo might do the same. Also Capcom said it not the number of downloads or money made that matters but the amount of hype generated.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Did I mention my name was Mega Man Legends 3?[/QUOTE]

So you are named after your momOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[quote name='soriku']I am going to buy a 3ds just for this game. I think the 2$ is to help cover the cost of putting the demo on the Eshop. Sony charges publishers a bandwidth fee to put up free demos on the psn so I think Nintendo might do the same. Also Capcom said it not the number of downloads or money made that matters but the amount of hype generated.[/QUOTE]

If they want negative hype/press...they'll surely be getting plenty.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']If they want negative hype/press...they'll surely be getting plenty.[/QUOTE]
That seems to be the case in just about every message board I've been to. I have a feeling the game will be released anyway. Because if they pull this game they'll lose a MASSIVE amount of fans.

[quote name='Strell']So you are named after your momOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/QUOTE]
This post should be reported but it's far too clever to do that.

If this is like 2-3 hours long (which it wont be), but if it was then I can see the price. This is going to be a demo and a $2 demo at that. If they get point cards out by then, I may consider downloading it just so they finish the game. If we don't get megaman legends 3, I may never buy a Capcom game again.

Actually wait, put fucking Megaman Legends 1-2 on the PSN Store. I will also buy both of them if that means we have a better chance at seeing Megaman Legends 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Trillian']Freaking Capcom. I hate the notion of ransoming a game, but I do want a Legends 3, so...[/QUOTE]

Is it ransom or blackmail?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Is it ransom or blackmail?[/QUOTE]

I think ransom, but it's sucky either way. I really don't get it. For awhile it seemed like every other Capcom game was yet another Mega Man, but now we have to buy the demo or they may not release the full game? Ugh.

[quote name='Trillian']I think ransom, but it's sucky either way. I really don't get it. For awhile it seemed like every other Capcom game was yet another Mega Man, but now we have to buy the demo or they may not release the full game? Ugh.[/QUOTE]

They have become money hungry. $5 for MvC 3 characters. No Ace Attorney 2 for america, this $2 demo. It seems like they will only make stuff they know they will get a big profit on nowadays, not what their diehard fans want. Which when you think about it, is sad.

Capcom executives didn't want to in invest into the game due to the original games lack of income, so the fans of the MML series have to help prop it up. Yeah, it reeks but the fans have to do it in order to continue the series.
kobugrumble.gif

bread's done
Back