Meijer mid-night launch for Wii and PS3

Lord Draconus777

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
The ad for next week lists that the PS3 and Wii will each get a midnight launch, on 11/17 and 11/19 respectively at 12:01am.

The ad lists that quantities are limited (especially for the PS3), and that if you buy a Wii and an extra Wiimote, you'll get a Nunchuk controller free. Goodluck, I'll be their to get my Wii, I'm just hoping I don't have to work that Sunday morning.

My local Meijer has a place all carved out and labeled for Wii accessories. I tmight be a worthwhile place to chek early to see if you can score a controller, game, or video cables before release. Or maybe they'll be really dopey, ignore all the signage, and sell you one before release. ;)

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']and that if you buy a Wii and an extra Wiimote, you'll get a Nunchuk controller free.[/quote]I'm going to confirm this with my uncle, since he's very high up in the local Meijer circle. I actually don't know what he does, but I believe he's a manager over one of the stores in my area. Maybe he can hook me up? If memory serves, my parents got my N64 from him after they were selling out all over the place. I figure if he could do that ten years ago, he can probably assure me a Wii.

Dang it, why didn't I think of any of this earlier?!

I may go to Meijer. At least you can wait inside.

Isnt it curious the EBGames and/or Gamestop still do not have the PS3bundles online yet? I really think there is going to be an even more drastic shortage than that initially anticipated.

HA! I haven't talked to the uncle yet, but he's the store manager of a Meijer in northern Kentucky and he didn't actually get me the N64. I don't want to know who (still keeping a bit of faith in the ol' Santa man) but I've been told it wasn't him.

Well, at the Rolling Meadows, IL store, we are doing a lottery system at midnight (for the PS3, not sure about the Wii yet); not sure exactly how this will be planned out, though.

Anyone know what quantities they are getting, and if certain Meijers are getting more than others? I live wihin about 45 min of several stores, some of which are in less busy areas, so if they are all getting the same allocation, I'd drive to a less busy one, but if they are getting less I might just go where there are more consoles.

I wouldn't bother waiting in line all day at Meijer. If your store is anything like mine, they'll do a raffle for the PS3 and Wii systems. Last year for the Xbox 360, there were like 150 idiots in line for HOURS. Meijer took everyone's name and did a raffle to see who got to buy one. You had the same chance to get one if you waited in line all day or if you showed up 5 minutes before the raffle.

Well, the ad said that the Wii was good while approximately 2200 last chain wide, which means about 10-15 will be available for each store. Nothing was mentioned for the PS3, assumable because there will be even fewer available.

So it's a raffle? That's dumb. If you are willing to get there early and wait, it should be first come, first serve. Anyone know how Wal-Mart is doing it?

RD

WrestleCrap'sRD;2358100 said:
So it's a raffle? That's dumb. If you are willing to get there early and wait, it should be first come, first serve. Anyone know how Wal-Mart is doing it?

RD

The thing is, they don't WANT people standing in line for hours inside the store. They had that problem last year even though they were doing a raffle though. I was there grocery shopping and the entire merchandise side of the store was one big mass of people, so you couldn't walk through or buy anything in the main aisle. The grocery side of the store was fine though. I think they should advertise that they're doing a raffle just to keep people from standing in line. If you want one for standing in line early, head to Circuit City or Best Buy. Both of those store hand out tickets to people in line before they open, so you can actually go grab breakfast before the store opens once you get your ticket.

[quote name='Rictor']The thing is, they don't WANT people standing in line for hours inside the store. They had that problem last year even though they were doing a raffle though. I was there grocery shopping and the entire merchandise side of the store was one big mass of people, so you couldn't walk through or buy anything in the main aisle. The grocery side of the store was fine though. I think they should advertise that they're doing a raffle just to keep people from standing in line. If you want one for standing in line early, head to Circuit City or Best Buy. Both of those store hand out tickets to people in line before they open, so you can actually go grab breakfast before the store opens once you get your ticket.[/QUOTE]

Good points. I'll probably try Meijer or Wal Mart for the midnight launch, and if that's a no go, head to CC/BB in the morning. Anyone know how Target or K-Mart is handling this stuff? I might try the local ghetto K-Mart, as I cannot fathom anyone considering going there for new launches. Their PS2 kiosk has graphics that pimp "coming soon" titles such as Formula One 2002!

When you think about it, this whole thing is kinda dumb. I remember on the DC launch, preorders were available and the system wasn't in short supply. The GC I don't even think I preordrered...just walked into a store launch day and they had them. That was really nice.

RD

Still haven't talked to the uncle, though I will likely do it sometime this afternoon.

However, the Sunday ads for Meijer confirm the free Nunchuk with the purchase of an additional Wiimote. It also says something peculiar. In the little bubble that states this Nunchuck deal, it says (in typical, small disclaimer text) "While 2,000 last chainwide." Does this mean Meijer is only getting 2,000 Wiis, or just 2,000 free Nunchucks to give away? I'm thinking the later, since 2,000 Wiis chainwide seems a bit low and 2,000 free Nunchucks seems feasable.

does anyone know the total number of meijer stores?

then we could figure out how many each one would get if it was spread across each store.

Damn, I was considering getting my Wii at Meijer, since I never got a preorder in anywhere. But, I'm not going there if they are doing a raffle system. If it's first come, first served, I'll probably pick my console up there.

I plan on getting my Wii at meijer at midnight and if I come up empty handed there then I'll check out Target in the morning.

bread's done
Back