Memory Adapter/Link Cable PS2 to PC

aminerva

CAG Veteran
Does anyone use one of these? I've seen them listed on some website for transfering saves from PS2 to PC or vice versa. If so, where does it plug into? The memory card port?

I only have one memory card & keep running out of room. While it's not that difficult or expensive to buy more, it is a pain if I could be keeping them on my computer hdd.

I suppose I'm better off waiting for the PS2 HDD, but that's a lot more money & I don't care at all about the game that comes with it. Does anyone know if there are plans to release the HDD without the game (FF?) installed for a cheaper price?

I don't know of anything except for the SharkPort which I haven't been able to find anywhere. It's not made or supported anymore anyway. There was also an Action Replay Port cable made briefly but again, is impossible to find now.

I haven't read anything about another game release for the HDD, but I hope they decide to issue a differnt package too. I have no interest in FF and won't be spending $100 just to get a game I'll never play.

I happen to own a PS2 Linux kit. It came with a 40 Gig HD. You can go out and buy just about any hard drive you want and put it in the PS2. Problem is, you need a drive utility to set it up. I also recall that Sony wasn't going to support (a.k.a. allow) game saves stored on the HD (if it were to be released). Even if some third party did want to do so, they would have to write their own software to implement such a feature since it's not built into the PS2.

If you want to read up on getting a Hard Drive for the PS2 (without buying a game) go to http://www.playstation2-linux.com. Search the forums and you will find the information you are looking for. And I mean SEARCH for the info. It is there.

I've heard from some who have an early PS2 HDD that you can save create folders & put saves in them, but you cannot play from those saves. So you can only use the folders to move to/from your regular 8MB memory card.

That's ok with me, really it's the solution I'm looking for. I want to continue to have just one memory card, from which I move saves to/from a HDD. Whether it is Sony's or my computers HDD. I appreciate the info about the Linux HDD, but right now I don't want to go down that path.

What I was looking at was a solution to use my computer's HDD from a cable like this: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=138

Which also requires this piece: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=202

The problem with this solution, to me, is that new games coming out after the HDD release may require the HDD to save, and no longer be able to save on the 8MB memory card. At which point I would have wasted my money on the above cable & memory adapter to move saves to my computers HDD.

So I guess I'm answering my own question. Might as well wait, or invest $20 in another 8mb card until I know if the PS2 HDD does allow you to create folders & transfer saves to/from the memory card.

[quote name='aminerva']I've heard from some who have an early PS2 HDD that you can save create folders & put saves in them, but you cannot play from those saves. So you can only use the folders to move to/from your regular 8MB memory card.

That's ok with me, really it's the solution I'm looking for. I want to continue to have just one memory card, from which I move saves to/from a HDD. Whether it is Sony's or my computers HDD. I appreciate the info about the Linux HDD, but right now I don't want to go down that path.

What I was looking at was a solution to use my computer's HDD from a cable like this: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=138

Which also requires this piece: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=202

The problem with this solution, to me, is that new games coming out after the HDD release may require the HDD to save, and no longer be able to save on the 8MB memory card. At which point I would have wasted my money on the above cable & memory adapter to move saves to my computers HDD.

So I guess I'm answering my own question. Might as well wait, or invest $20 in another 8mb card until I know if the PS2 HDD does allow you to create folders & transfer saves to/from the memory card.[/quote]

I would LOVE to know where this "someone" got this info from/how he did it. The PS2 Hard Drive does not show up as a device in the PS2 browser like memory cards and games/DVDs do so, again, it's impossible to move save files from a Memory Card to the HD without some sort of software.

As for Sony dropping Memory Card support, that will NEVER happen. They are more likely not support HD games saves than to drop the Memory Card.

As a side note, I wasn't suggesting the PS2 linux kit as a way to get a hard drive. Rather, the PS2 linux forums have a list of compatible hard drives that you can go out and purchase from your local computer store. As long as you have the PS2 Network Adaptor you can plug the HD right in. The only piece you'd be missing is the software to transfer saves to and from the Memory Card, which takes us back to the beginning. :D

There is also Intec's XPort, which is a similar device to the SharkPort, it can be found on their website with a bonus remote for $30.

Link To The XPort Page

This is what the people on eBay who sell NCAA roster updates use to transfer to memory cards, and is a decent device for transferring saves across the net.

I actually own the sharkport, i got it a year and a half ago when memory cards used to cost i think $30 while the sharkport was $30-$40. The promise on the box as that you will have nearly unlimited saves since you can transfer them to your hardrive and for the most part this is true. I have filled up my memory card many times and just transferred the data to my hdd. The transferring process from the ps2 to the pc is very easy. The sharkport comes with two usb ports connected together, a pc disc and a ps2 disc. You put the respective discs where they belong and plug in the usb cables to both the ps2 and pc and you should be transferring data in no time.
Here is the problem however, it is NOT as convenient to transfer the files back to your memory as the box leads you to believe. What took me awhile to figure out is that in order to transfer a memory card file from the pc to the ps2 you need to already have a file of that type from the game on the memory card. For example if i want to transfer my Madden franchise mode save from the pc to the ps2 i need to play the game and create a new franchise mode save which will later be replaced by the one in my pc. Does that make sense?
Overall while the transferring can be tedious it is still very helpful if your card is full of big files that you want to hold onto but you know you are not going to always use. Hope that helps.

Well those are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, and the price is right. While having an attached HDD would offer obvious advantages, this seems like a pretty cheap solution.

Thanks for all your help

Yeah, I have the XPort I havnt had any problems. Plug both USB cable ends in, pop in the CD, and go. Easy. BIG props for the XPort.

These (Sharkport) can be found on gameshark.com for about 13.00 USD including shipping and handling. I was actually looking for saves when I came across the thread and forum. These are going to be helpful with setting up the independance exploit.

I've got a SharkPort (several, actually, from the TRU green tag sale: willing to sell or trade) and a Maxdrive USB 16MB flashdrive. Of the two, the Maxdrive is quite a bit easier to use on the PC side: plug it in and Windows autodetects it, then just trade files back and forth. Both use a custom disc on the PS2 side for save management. The Maxdrive also has a utility for 'crushing' (compressing) the files to fit even more on it. The PS2 does NOT recognize it as a memory card during play, so basically you have to copy files over to it using the included PS2 disc.

Generally speaking, if you've got a choice, get anything Datel over anything MadCatz; MadCatz has totally ruined the Gameshark brand. I gave up on them when the last device I bought (a memory card to PC transfer device for Gamecube) had PC software that had to be installed before Windows would recognize it as a drive, and that had to be activated online with a code. It's like they went out of their way to make sure you can't use their stuff. By comparison the Maxdrive for Gamecube works like a charm.

bread's done
Back