memory cards, controllers why so pricy?

CaoPi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
PS2 is almost dead as well as other past generation systems. Regular price for a PS2 controller is still 24.99 as well as the 8MB memory card. Was it this same price back then for the old generation consoles such as PS1, N64?

Give it some time. The PS2 stuff will eventually get clearanced out (just like the PS1 and Dreamcast stuff).

The mark-up is mostly at the store level, right? Given that margins on the games themselves are so low...

PS2 controller was 34.99 and memory i believe also was 34.99. but many times circuit city has it for 19.99 so a cheap gamer never pays more... plus if you look at the worst seniro is xbox dvd remote 29.99 still just to play dvds on old xbox. sad

[quote name='DX']Its razors and razorblades.

Basic pricing strategy that is old as economics.[/quote]

Yup, pretty dead on. The price is high because there is a huge profit margin for accessories. A memory card may cost almost nothing to produce, but people will pay plenty of cash because they want to be able to save games. And companies like making more money than less money, so they charge as much as they want even if it's a common, old product. :!:

It's hilarious they think they can still get away with these outragously obvious price gouging. The only other thing funnier is people actually buy them.

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's hilarious they think they can still get away with these outragously obvious price gouging. The only other thing funnier is people actually buy them.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you just contradicted your own statement.

maybe 3rd party memory cards are so bad so sony can charge whatever they want for it. plus, the ps2 is still selling very well. i feel for ya though, that's why i decided to trade someone for a new memory card rather than buy it. whoo ha!

[quote name='sp00ge']^^ exactly. We won't be seeing any drops in PS2 stuff until the PS2 stops outselling the PS3.[/QUOTE]
And every other console. :p

Yeah memory card prices for last gen systems (PS2, GC) are definitely the worst. They probably cost like $1 to make now and they're still charging $15-30 depending on what you want.

Right now, I've been trying to find a good deal on a new wavebird and logitech wireless xbox controller, but neither has dropped in price at all. The xbox controller is becoming hard to find in my area.

[quote name='erehwon']Right now, I've been trying to find a good deal on a new wavebird and logitech wireless xbox controller, but neither has dropped in price at all. The xbox controller is becoming hard to find in my area.[/quote]

I have a used, but well treated Logitech wireless precision for the xbox in my TL. Price isn't set in stone, make me an offer.

Being able to use standard memory cards is one nice thing about the Wii and PS3 (and not so nice about the 360). Of course now that all the consoles have internal storage for game saves, you don't need memory cards except to transfer or backup game saves.

bread's done
Back