memory questions

W.arner1281

CAGiversary!
Feedback
179 (100%)
I'm trying to upgrade the memory on my work computer at the moment. The computer is used miostly for surfing the web, some graphics programs (Photoshop and Canvas), and a few other miscellaneous programs. Some of my computer specs are listed below. I have the manual for my Motherboard (K8-Triton Series: GA-K8NSNXP-939) which says I can go up to 4GB of memory (DDR400/333/266/200). Obviously, for what I'm doing, that seems like a bit of overkill. However, having to reset my computer 2-3 times a day because my computer is "running low on virtual memory" is a pain in the ass. So I can support DDR RAM, in dual chipset if necessary, but I want to know a couple of things.

1) What is an "unbuffered system memory"? When I went to newegg to look at memory, a lot of them say this. Is this something to worry about, is it a cheaper version of something, or is it just some random thing that I need not worry about?

2) What is dual chipset? I guess my question is more of what the purpose of it is more than what it actually means. I understand you can pair up the memory... but why do this?

3) Any recommendations on manufacturers, websites to buy from, or anything in particular I should be looking for/avoiding? I'm looking to bring my memory up to about 1GB (right now it has a single 128MB PC133 in there). While price is not a major issue, I would still like to keep the cost reasonable.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ProcessorIntel Pentium III 737MHzDisplay CardNVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/Pro/TiMemory128MBOperating SystemMicrosoft Windows 2000Free Disk Space13.29GBDisplay Card Memory32MBDisplay Driver Version5.2.1.6DirectX Version9.0cOptical DriveDVDSound CardCreative Sound Blaster AudioPCI

1) Unbuffered is what you want. That works fine in nearly all personal machines. Buffered (aka registered) memory is usually only for servers.

2) Dual chipset basically means you are getting two sticks of RAM that will equal the advertised capacity. It's just an easy way to order memory, especially when you are building a new box or replacing RAM (rather than adding on). You generally want to pair up like modules because they will work together. I've seen some brands not work with others, either due to a weird conflict between the actual RAM boards or a problem with how each interacts with the motherboard.

3) I generally recommend Corsair. It is not the cheapest, but it has never failed me in the six years or so I've been using them. If you want quality, go to NewEgg and get Corsair RAM for whatever capacity you're shooting for. On the other hand, if you want a good price, check out www.Pricewatch.com . It's like PriceGrabber but it only looks at computer parts. Just make sure you check the various store ratings before you order, and also make sure you are really ordering what you need (due to the way Pricewatch catalogs things, it can be easy to click on the wrong item sometimes).

For peace of mind, I'd go with NewEgg. I see they have a 1GB dual channel kit (DDR 400, 184 pin) for a little over $100 shipped. That would probably be your best bet. You could also go for the single 1GB stick for maybe a couple bucks less. Also, you'll probably want to pull that 128MB stick from your machine and keep it as a spare. If you go with just the single 1GB stick, you could keep the 128MB if you wanted to brag "I have over a GB of RAM in my box!" :)

[quote name='Tarsus']Also, you'll probably want to pull that 128MB stick from your machine and keep it as a spare. If you go with just the single 1GB stick, you could keep the 128MB if you wanted to brag "I have over a GB of RAM in my box!" :)[/quote]

lol, no I'm not that cheesy. I was planning on taking it out and problem throwing it into one of the other crap machines around here to double the memory in that computer :roll: . Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at tigerdirect.com and newegg.com, but I know a lot of people have had problems with tigerdirect.com, so I'll probably just stick with newegg.

You say your current RAM is PC133? Are you sure? I thought PC100/PC133 was a completely different memory architecture than DDR memory.

They use different voltages, but I've seen many older motherboards with two sets of RAM slots so they can support either one.

That being said, if you're using PC133 now, a DDR400 upgrade will likely go in the other set of slots on your motherboard. The two types of RAM are made differently however, so it wouldn't be possible to get them in the wrong slots (DDR will have one notch, the older RAM should have two notches).

I knew it was weird when I first noticed I had PC133 in there and was looking for DDR. I figured I just had a kickass mobo and some really shitty memory. lol. Now I realize I'm just stoopid. Anyways, turns out my mobo is ASUS CUSL2-c. Supports up to 512MB of memory (oh gee... yay?). Just went ahead and ordered some PC133 SDRAM through newegg.com (1 512MB stick). On a sidenote, does anyone know if you can cancel an order through newegg and if so, how long do I have to do it??

[quote name='Warner1281']I knew it was weird when I first noticed I had PC133 in there and was looking for DDR. I figured I just had a kickass mobo and some really shitty memory. lol. Now I realize I'm just stoopid. Anyways, turns out my mobo is ASUS CUSL2-c. Supports up to 512MB of memory (oh gee... yay?). Just went ahead and ordered some PC133 SDRAM through newegg.com (1 512MB stick). On a sidenote, does anyone know if you can cancel an order through newegg and if so, how long do I have to do it??[/QUOTE]

How many memory slots do you have on the motherboard? Usually the maximum memory is based upon all the slots being full, so what I'm getting at it - it might not accept 1 512MB stick. If it has 2 slots, it would probably take 2 256 MB sticks, if it has 4 slots, then 4 128 MB sticks.

As far as your question about newegg, I don't know, sorry.

I looked up your Motherboard at kingston.com to get an idea of what have. It said you have three slots:
Standard Memory: 2 MB (Non-removable) AGP video
0 MB (Removable) DRAM

Maximum Memory: 4 MB AGP video
512 MB DRAM

Expansion: 3 Sockets

CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium III 450 MHz Intel 815
Intel Pentium III 933 MHz Intel 815

Bus Architecture: AGP; PCI

Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A

Comments This system only supports 4 Banks of memory. If two double sided DIMMs are used, the 3rd Socket(s) is disabled.

Although it is physically possible to install more memory, the system will only recognize 512MB maximum.
-----------------------------------

And it lists the following kingston sticks:

KVR133X64C3/64 64MB 133MHz Non-ECC CL3 DIMM
KVR133X64C3/128 128MB 133MHz Non-ECC CL3 DIMM
KVR133X64C3/256 256MB 133MHz Non-ECC CL3 DIMM
KVR133X64C3SS/128 128MB 133MHz Non-ECC Single Sided CL3 DIMM
KVR133X64C3SS/256 256MB 133MHz Non-ECC Single Sided CL3 DIMM
-------------------------------------------

It doesn't list a 512 MB stick!

I haven't ordered it yet, so no worries (will be doing so tomorrow). In any case, the manual I'm looking at has a little chart. Says I have 3 slots (and I confirmed I do) and under each slot I can install any of the following 168pin sticks in each slot: 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512MB. It also says that the total cannot exceed 512 MB otherwise the system may hang during startup. Lastly it says the single sided DIMM come in 16, 32, 64, 128, & 256MB while double sided come in 32, 64, 128, 256, & 512MB

After doing some more research it does in fact support a single 512MB, however it seems that some people have a hard time getting it to work. The easier thing to do is just order 2 256MB sticks and be done with it. I'll probably do that so I don't have to fight with the computer. Thanks for your help though.

[quote name='Warner1281']After doing some more research it does in fact support a single 512MB, however it seems that some people have a hard time getting it to work. The easier thing to do is just order 2 256MB sticks and be done with it. I'll probably do that so I don't have to fight with the computer. Thanks for your help though.[/QUOTE]
Good luck - now that you have the right manual, you should have no problem!

bread's done
Back