Memphis CAGs

MemphisGun

CAGiversary!
Hey guys if TenneCAGs wasn't good enough for us Memphians then this should be. We need a logo and some other cool stuff. Can't wait to talk to you other Memphians!!! ;)

Anyone from Cordova? I haven't lived there since 1996. I miss that place so much. Apparently, it grew overnight. There's like a shopping mall a mile from my old subdivision. Wolfchase Galleria I think it's called?

Does anyone from that area remember a game store called Boomerang Gameware? I use to go there all the time as a kid.

[quote name='Tardcore']Anyone from Cordova? I haven't lived there since 1996. I miss that place so much. Apparently, it grew overnight. There's like a shopping mall a mile from my old subdivision. Wolfchase Galleria I think it's called?

Does anyone from that area remember a game store called Boomerang Gameware? I use to go there all the time as a kid.[/QUOTE]
Never heard of it. I was like 5 or 6 in 1996 though so I wouldn't remember it, but I don't think they're in business anymore.

[quote name='Tardcore']Anyone from Cordova? I haven't lived there since 1996. I miss that place so much. Apparently, it grew overnight. There's like a shopping mall a mile from my old subdivision. Wolfchase Galleria I think it's called?

Does anyone from that area remember a game store called Boomerang Gameware? I use to go there all the time as a kid.[/QUOTE]

I was born in Memphis, but left for a few years (93-96- we lived in Duluth, GA). When we moved back we were in Cordova. All there was when we got there was the little cluster of shopping centers at Germantown and Dexter (Huey's, Boomerang and a grocery store across the street).

The mall popped up in 97 and everything exploded. You should get on Google Streetview and tab down Germantown pkwy. You won't recognize it at all. Also, Cordova was anexed into the city of Memphis a few years back, so it's not the nice place to live for avoiding city taxes while being close to it all. Now everyone is moving out to the next county and the sprawl continues.

Regarding Boomerang - In about 1999, Funcoland moved into town so there were some video game stores outside of malls (specializing in trades no less) so they didn't last too long after that. I used to love going up there and buying instruction manuals for old games out of a bin they had.

I had some great memories of that store. When the Sega CD first came out, they had some consoles set up on the back wall with a few games.

I'd go to them for games along with Target/K-Mart and another dead store, Service Merchandise. It was at Service Merchandise where I THINK I first played a 3DO. It was the last time I had ever seen that console since.

Anyway, I went to Chimney Rock elementary before I moved in 96 (born in 87). I lived in a subdivision what I now find quite hilarious, called "Morning Woods".

The last time I was in Memphis was 2002. Place was hardly recognizable. I do want to go back though 'cus I miss it.

So it got annexed, you say? Does it still exist under the Cordova name?

[quote name='Tardcore']I had some great memories of that store. When the Sega CD first came out, they had some consoles set up on the back wall with a few games.

I'd go to them for games along with Target/K-Mart and another dead store, Service Merchandise. It was at Service Merchandise where I THINK I first played a 3DO. It was the last time I had ever seen that console since.

Anyway, I went to Chimney Rock elementary before I moved in 96 (born in 87). I lived in a subdivision what I now find quite hilarious, called "Morning Woods".

The last time I was in Memphis was 2002. Place was hardly recognizable. I do want to go back though 'cus I miss it.

So it got annexed, you say? Does it still exist under the Cordova name?[/QUOTE]

Yes and No. "Cordova" is what I believe the postal service refers to as a "vanity address". It's Memphis, but for people having a hard time letting go, they can still have things mailed to "Cordova" and the postal service won't give them any trouble.

I know that neighborhood- the enterance is off Hwy64, isn't it? Kids used to always steal the letters off that sign.

Hey I'm from Memphis and it's cool to see there's a thread for us guys.

I do seem to remember seeing a commercial back in the day for Boomerang Gameware. I think they had a nice lil' jingle too.

Not sure much of a deal but I saw Binary Domain for $20 at the Southaven Best Buy. Only 2-3 copies left in the 50% off section behind the game counter.

bread's done
Back