menlo park nj disaster in the making

rsigley

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
there's a sony store that is in menlo park mall, they won't let you camp out

there's people hidden in stairwells/the woods/hundred other places with police roaming non stop til 6am when you're allowed on the premises

i predict someone will be shot or killed, come down to check it out

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']This whole launch is probably the funniest and greatest all time. I just hope someone doesn't get killed or seriously injured.[/QUOTE]

I really hope no-one gets hurt or anything. From what I've read on this site it would appear that there's been some very close calls. All that for a video game console or a quick dollar on eBay. It's pretty sad actually.

However, if 40% of the launch consoles were defective somehow, that would be great.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I really hope no-one gets hurt or anything. From what I've read on this site it would appear that there's been some very close calls. All that for a video game console or a quick dollar on eBay. It's pretty sad actually.

However, if 40% of the launch consoles were defective somehow, that would be great.[/QUOTE]
it would be even better if sony refused to fix the consoles

[quote name='rsigley']
there's people hidden in stairwells/the woods/hundred other places with police roaming non stop til 6am when you're allowed on the premises
[/QUOTE]

wow.. I laughed a ton when I read that. The concept of people hiding in stairwells, bushes, trash cans, etc. is about the funniest thing I've read all night.

i'm gonna write up a big story later on with pictures and video but here's some cool things i saw:

- People breaking open two of the doors to get inside of the mall before it opened only to get chased out by the cops
- Some girl get trampled literally, she had red marks all over her face from people stepping on her
- Some kid running fell landed on his head hard, he then tries to get up twice, falls over, and starts vomitting. We ask for police to help him, after 5 minutes they never come even though we went up to officers telling them we think this kid is gonna die

There were about 1000 people scattered among all the mall entrances, most near Nordstroms/Movie theater (both those doors got broken) for 16 PS3's. The sad thing is no one even got one because when everyone finally got inside mall employee's were already lined up for them.

When I was leaving there was about 4 cop cars sirens blaring driving towards the scene so something must of happened

This was so disorganized, we told the security guard this was gonna happen and how we could run it smoothly if you get everyone to one entrance and keep a list, but they didn't listen and now 1 person might be dead, at least one girl got trampled, and all the property damage to the mall cause people were rioting outside

[quote name='rsigley'] but here's some cool things i saw:
- Some girl get trampled literally, she had red marks all over her face from people stepping on her
- Some kid running fell landed on his head hard, he then tries to get up twice, falls over, and starts vomitting. We ask for police to help him, after 5 minutes they never come even though we went up to officers telling them we think this kid is gonna die
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds really "cool." You're a fucking asshole.

noone forces people to stand outside. why should taxpayers pay for extra cops. got to love that person with the list thing. Hell i could make up a list and say i was first and all my friends were 2nd , 3rd , 4th ext

I was there, the scene was crazy :\
I didn't even bother trying to get one, just waited for everyone else to get into the mall before my bf and I entered. There were at least a dozen cop cars outside the theater entrance when we left.

[quote name='yuy104']I was there, the scene was crazy :\
I didn't even bother trying to get one, just waited for everyone else to get into the mall before my bf and I entered. There were at least a dozen cop cars outside the theater entrance when we left.[/QUOTE]

after they broke open the door upstairs i decided to go downstairs to the B entrance where it was much calmer but we didn't get a ps3 either (i really don't think anyone did eveyrone in the line worked at the cheesecake factory). everyone there was cool and kinda knew we weren't getting one so we just talked and had a good time for a couple hours.

Oh man, I've been to this mall before. I had some friends who used to work in the Nordstroms. Hope no one got hurt.

My very pessimistic and cynical side is thinking that Sony would welcome the PR a launch line death would bring. Not that I want it to happen at all, but...

I didn't know mall employees were the ones that got them...kinda unfair...
but overall it was an interesting experience, it was my 1st time at this sort of "event"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15764297/

sourceAP.gif

PUTNAM, Conn. - Two armed men tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new PlayStation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.
The two confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.
"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.
Vance said police were searching for the suspects.
Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday.
In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.
A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart — employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

Can anyone please confirm the Coldstone Creamery was left unscathed? Please tell me these savages didn't go after the innocents!

[quote name='yuy104']I didn't know mall employees were the ones that got them...kinda unfair...
but overall it was an interesting experience, it was my 1st time at this sort of "event"[/QUOTE]

The guys at the front were all wearing Cheesecake Factory shirts which they took off eventually

Here's some pictures, got a first person view my friend took of running in too i'll up soon:

Part of the crowd in front of one of the entrances

http://i15.tinypic.com/3z7ocb7.jpg

People who actually got inside and decided to wait in line

http://i15.tinypic.com/2ymum48.jpg

Broken door #1

http://i15.tinypic.com/2nkhnpk.jpg

Broken door #2

http://i15.tinypic.com/351ibr5.jpg

Cops

http://i15.tinypic.com/4d3p9vk.jpg

[quote name='jer7583']wow.. I laughed a ton when I read that. The concept of people hiding in stairwells, bushes, trash cans, etc. is about the funniest thing I've read all night.[/QUOTE]

Sneak King?

[quote name='Puffa469']http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15764297/

sourceAP.gif

PUTNAM, Conn. - Two armed men tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new PlayStation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.
The two confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.
"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.
Vance said police were searching for the suspects.
Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday.
In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.
A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart — employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.[/QUOTE]

I already started a topic on that. it was one of the biggest news ideas on Yahoo's Homepage.

heard this on the radio and i think its total BS

Some people went down to a homeless shelter and told the homeless they would pay each one of them 100 bucks a day to stand in line for the ps3. I guess the person had like 6 to 12 people first in line and admitted to a tv station they are all going on ebay for 1500 each

said they spent around 1200 bucks on the homeless people but will make a profit of over 10k

I was at the Boston copley sony store the night before. I talked to a couple of the store workers, the security, and the local police. None of them had a plan or a clue what was going to happen the next morning. The place has multiple entrance/exit points. I had thought it would have been one of the quieter places and that it would have been an easy pickup - I had called a week earlier and they expected 50-100 units.

Turns out this was the most chaotic one of them all. I sure know how to pick them. Luckily, I decided it was too stupid to even try and stayed home instead where I failed to score on toysrus and ccity.com, but that's life, eh? According to the joystiq link, they only had 20 units and it ended up being a lottery.

bread's done
Back