Mercenaries or Destroy All Humans?

boyward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
I'd like to get one of these, and I'm undecided as to which one. I like the concept for both, so it really comes down to which game is more fun to play. Please help me decide. :)

I haven't played either.... Playing as Han Solo is tempting, but I find the concept of destroying a town as an alien more original.

This poll might get better results if you wait a week or two so that people have time to actually play it...not to flame but didn't DAH just come out?

GT aclones??

What GT are you referring to? If you mean GTA you are sorely mistaken, neither of these games resemble GTA in anyway. Neither are sandbox games. I think you need to play them both before comparing them to something.

If you like blowing up things and you're a GTA fan I would strongly recommend Mercenaries. As for DAH I've only played the demo on Xbox and it feels limited. Sure you can blow things up on foot and in your spaceship, but that is about all. Unlike Mercenaries I think you are limited to only your spaceship. Mercenaries allows you to take any vehicle, except the Mafia helicopter. Mercenaries is a buy and I would look for the demo in a magazine or on display at gamestop. good luck.

happy gaming

Mercenaries is generally regarded as a very good game (and I agree)

Destroy All Humans got a 7.0 from IGN, though I haven't read any other reviews on it yet. From what I played of the demo, it seemed like it'd get old fast once the novelty wears off.

I personally would go with mercenaries

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']GT aclones??

What GT are you referring to? If you mean GTA you are sorely mistaken, neither of these games resemble GTA in anyway. Neither are sandbox games. I think you need to play them both before comparing them to something.[/QUOTE]

I believe you're sadly mistaken.

You're insane. Just because you can get in and out of different vehicle and drive around doesn't mean its like GTA. If that was the case Roger Rabbit on NES is just like GTA, you should try it.

How can you tell me I'm mistaken when you've already said you've never played them?

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']You're insane. Just because you can get in and out of different vehicle and drive around doesn't mean its like GTA. If that was the case Roger Rabbit on NES is just like GTA, you should try it.

How can you tell me I'm mistaken when you've already said you've never played them?[/QUOTE]

But doesn't having open gameplay that includings getting in and out of all vehicles and being able to kill/blow up whatever you want, with the possibility of taking missions make it similar to GTA?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']But doesn't having open gameplay that includings getting in and out of all vehicles and being able to kill/blow up whatever you want, with the possibility of taking missions make it similar to GTA?[/QUOTE]

Finally, some one with common sense.

IMO, Mercenaries looks better.

No it doesn't. We are all talking about the lucasArts mercenaries right? In that game I can't change the radio station, visit houses, have police chase after me based on my choices, walk from one end of gigantic city (sandbox to the other), pick up a hooker, drive a cop car, put out fires, need I go on?

Getting into a vehicle and blowing shit up does not mean its a GTA clone. GTA was not the first to do this and surely not the last. Does that mean Mercs is a completely different type of game? No, but clearly it is not a clone and neither is DAH. In fact if you look at it from the reverse side, its even more clear how wrong the "clone" statement is. Does GTA have mutliple characters? Can you call in backup/support? Can you even destroy one single building in any of the GTA? Does GTA have deformable environments?

OP: Wait for DAH to drop, grab mercs for now. DAH will hit 39 in a month or two and probably drop to 29 in 6 months anyway. Save your money and grab Mercs and run around as either Han or Indy (depending on the system you get it for). It is a great game for sure, where as the jury is still out on the long-term playability of DAH.

I haven't played Destroy All Humans yet but I have played Mercenaries. If you like to blow shit up than Mercenaries is pretty cool otherwise it has a very low replay value.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']No it doesn't. We are all talking about the lucasArts mercenaries right? In that game I can't change the radio station, visit houses, have police chase after me based on my choices, walk from one end of gigantic city (sandbox to the other), pick up a hooker, drive a cop car, put out fires, need I go on?

Getting into a vehicle and blowing shit up does not mean its a GTA clone. GTA was not the first to do this and surely not the last. Does that mean Mercs is a completely different type of game? No, but clearly it is not a clone and neither is DAH.

OP: Wait for DAH to drop, grab mercs for now. DAH will hit 39 in a month or two and probably drop to 29 in 6 months anyway. Save your money and grab Mercs and run around as either Han or Indy. It is a great game for sure, where as the jury is still out on the long-term playability of DAH.[/QUOTE]

Are you getting caught up on the word "clone"? There is no question that the games are similar. I can't believe this is the first time you've heard the comparisson as it seems to be the most common one. Plus the differences you listed are VERY superficial, the core gameplay is undeniable similar.

i like the idea and theme of destroy all humans, but the game is boring as hell. theres not too much depth beyond the first 10 minutes of the game. mercenaries seemed to have a bigger variety in the way to attack certain missions, with more weapons, vehicles etc.

Go with Mercenaries it is well worth it because of the variety of vehicles and weapons that are used to blow stuff up.

I think he's emphasizing the word "clone" here too much. Mercenaries is very much a GTA-like game. Yeah, there aren't cops are hookers, but it doesn't apply to the environments. Instead, you've got angered factions shooting at you when you enter their areas similar to the gang areas in GTA.

I think the very definition of a GTA-like game doesn't necessarily mean it has to have every single aspect of GTA, but it has an open world where you're free to explore and wander however you please.

Mercenaries is more of a focused GTA. Well worth the money, though I haven't played DAH or even the demo.

Mercenaries was a VERY fun game....one of my favorites. Once I beat it though, I have not touched it. Just got DAH today, but I have yet to try it.....reviews seemed mixed. If I hate it, I'll sell it/trade it

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Just because you can get in and out of different vehicle and drive around doesn't mean its like GTA. If that was the case Roger Rabbit on NES is just like GTA, you should try it.[/QUOTE]

I love it - now THERE'S an internet movement to get going. SPREAD THE WORD! TELL YOUR FRIENDS! GRAND THEFT AUTO RIPS OFF WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT FOR NINTENDO! Touchstone (or whoever) should IMMEDIATELY sue Rockstar.\

Not only the getting in-out of vehicles thing, but you could also run over people. Er. Weasels.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Just because you can get in and out of different vehicle and drive around doesn't mean its like GTA. If that was the case Roger Rabbit on NES is just like GTA, you should try it.[/QUOTE]

I love it - now THERE'S an internet movement to get going. SPREAD THE WORD! TELL YOUR FRIENDS! GRAND THEFT AUTO RIPS OFF WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT FOR NINTENDO! Touchstone (or whoever) should IMMEDIATELY sue Rockstar.

Not only the getting in-out of vehicles thing, but you could also run over people. Er. Weasels.

Mercenaries is a great game to play, but you have a tendency to stop playing it, restart, stop again, and finish. It's a great game to complete over time though.

Mercenaries is great. I've only played the demo for DAH and it feels similar in gameplay, just more humorous in tone. I plan on picking it up as well.

I hadn't heard DAH was short. Mercenaries does not have that problem.

I ended up getting Mercenaries (and I'm LOVING it!), but I want to resurrect the thread to get more comparisons between Mercs and Destroy All Humans.

they're both by pandemic. DAH was good, but not as good as mercs was. I only played the demo of DAH and found it pretty corny. the Mercs demo was better and made me go out and buy the game

bread's done
Back