Mercenaries

redsox6391

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I got Mercenaries a while back at a flea market for $5. It didn't come with a manual. Now that I have taken a renewed interest in it, I need to know something.

What is the point of the game? What are you supposed to do? Is it just visiting the different factions and getting missions?

Thanks!

[quote name='redsox6391']I got Mercenaries a while back at a flea market for $5. It didn't come with a manual. Now that I have taken a renewed interest in it, I need to know something.

What is the point of the game? What are you supposed to do? Is it just visiting the different factions and getting missions?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
You are suppose to take down the deck of 52. Manual here.
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1918

You can take missions from each faction giving you clues to the location of the cards. Each mission you take will eventually piss off the other factions. So you may find yourself fighting them all. You can bribe them to get them back on your side.

[quote name='mwynn']You are suppose to take down the deck of 52. Manual here.
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1918

You can take missions from each faction giving you clues to the location of the cards. Each mission you take will eventually piss off the other factions. So you may find yourself fighting them all. You can bribe them to get them back on your side.[/quote]
Thank you very much!

Your welcome. This is one of the best games I have played. Plenty of fun to be had. My favorite part is jacking helicopters, while they are in flight.

[quote name='mwynn']Your welcome. This is one of the best games I have played. Plenty of fun to be had. My favorite part is jacking helicopters, while they are in flight.[/quote]

How do you do that? They are always a little too high...

But it sounds AWESOME! :bouncy:

This game does indeed rock.

Helicopters don't usually come down low enough, but you can catch them if they do. They'll be low enough if a circle appears under them. The best place to try this out is atop the massive plateau west of the Allied Base in the South (Starting) Province. THere's a helicopter around there that starts the "Fling cars with the helicopter crane" minigame, but normally some NK bastard jacks it to try to go on a strafing run against you. Fortunately, he hangs pretty low with it.

Also, note, half the fun of this game is just leaving your car and hiking through the mist-covered North Korean countryside. You never know what sort of out-of-the-way military base, phat lewt collectibles, or deck members you might find.

Note: Collectibles like national treasures (Green boxes), listening posts (Small radar stations, destroy them), WMD Blueprints (Gray boxes with radioactive symbol), and General Song monuments (Any statue that looks like it is in honor of Song or NK. Destroy with air strike or heavy weaponry) give you unlocks AND faction boost with China or SK. Since most later missions from China or SK pit you against the opposite, you might want to not go hunting for collectibles until you've pissed them off.

Still, though, the drops you unlock from collectibles ain't bad at all, so don't ignore ones you've seen.

I loved this game for the aforementioned reasons, but also for some of the most hilarious bugs. A couple of note were:

- Sometimes there are collision issues with objects and they're all trying to occupy the same space (you'll notice because they'll sit there and rattle for a bit). Eventually it seems the engine quirks out and all the objects go rocketing off in the opposite direction.

- Another collision but is when driving over train tracks at high speeds. Most times you'll get the simple bump, but a couple times I've had my jeep go rocketing off into the sky (with perfect spiral and everything).

Fun game, especially since a lot of the missions have multiple methods of completion (given whether you're going for the kill or the capture).

thanks for this thread...reminds me that i should go play it now. haha.

i had a funny moment where i took a soldier with me in a tank and somehow he ended up actually hopping back into the tank and fending off a few enemies for me! um...this was actually the ONLY time where the AI was pretty smart though. lol!

Another favorite memory: Once you reach the 50% mark and unlock the second province, you'll find the stakes are higher. The Chinese and the SK forces have finally turned the heat up and can be seen engaging in open fighting. At one point though, I found one SK Special Forces and one Chinese soldier just standing around, not fighting. In my head, I thought "Can this be? Can love truly bloom on a battlefield?" as "Why Can't We Be Friends?" played in my head...

until I realized they were both packing Anti-Air Rockets, which cannot be used on infantry. So they couldn't attack each other.

Barely got the game a few days ago and i have to say this game is really fun

with or without its hilarious bugs (as mentioned by Starky). Hoped it had

multiplayer though, it would've been awesome.

BTW I'm not too much in the game but is there any cutscenes?

bread's done
Back