Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
I started playing Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake last night (off the MGS3 Subsitance disc) and what took me so long to play this?!? I've always wanted to beat this, guess I'm late to the party. Super innovative for it's time (1990 I think), the music is amazing, plus the story is far beyond anything I've seen on an 8-bit system.

If you're a fan of the series I recommend a quick playthrough. It almost feels like a history lesson, and not just story-wise but also gameplay-wise. It's interesting to see how the elements from these old MSX games transfered into MGS1 and beyond. Alot of basic ideas & puzzles stem out of this. Some examples I've noticed are punching walls to make noise, crawling over mines to pick them up, changing key shapes with temperature, using a suppressor to minimize noise, crawling to avoid making noise on hard floors, etc...

I'd love to see a remake of this and the orginal Metal Gear.

Anyone else care to share their likes or dislikes about this game?

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Didn't know it was on the subsistence disc. Thanks![/quote]

Actually it's on disc 2 which I think is labeled "Persistence" It's the same dsc that has the online mode.

I couldn't get into MGS3. Pretty sure I have one of the NES MG games. The one I played on the NES I liked (I think).

Can you play the game off Subsistence disc without beating anything? If so, I will go find it and give it a go.

[quote name='Rig']I couldn't get into MGS3. Pretty sure I have one of the NES MG games. The one I played on the NES I liked (I think).

Can you play the game off Subsistence disc without beating anything? If so, I will go find it and give it a go.[/quote]

Keep in mind the NES games and MSX games are different, I think the MSX games are superior. In fact the NES Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge isn't even considered part of the series.

But you don't need to do anything to play it.

I'm pretty sure Snake's Revenge wasn't given any sort of Metal Gear moniker, and of course isn't considered canon to the series.

You've got to play MGS3!!!!! It took me 3 years to be able to actually play through it. I couldn't get into it at first, but when it kicks in, it kicks ass. I only have the Snake Eater version, so the camera is absolutely terrible. I decided to just run and gun it instead of sneak, since sneaking is so hard with the janky camera. MGS3 is epic, that's all I can really say. The story is so freaking ridiculously engrossing, you can't put it down when you get into it. You've got to give it another go.

It should be noted that the old MSX Metal Gear games are not in the new Essentials collection, only the initial release of Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistence.

And while this is off topic a bit, the Subsistence version of MGS3 is much better thanks to an improved camera system.

I remember playing metal gear 2 for the MSX and really enjoyed it. Like TC said there are striking similarities to MGS, such as a elevator fight, and fighting grey fox hand to hand. The game is fairly impressive for its time (1990), sporting nice visuals, unqiue gameplay and some semblence of story. It would be cool if konami ported this and MG 1 to a handheld system because they have a more pick up and play style that would work well for long and short trips alike.

[quote name='Halo05']It should be noted that the old MSX Metal Gear games are not in the new Essentials collection, only the initial release of Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistence.[/quote]

I always assumed they were. I guess they weren't "essential" enough.

[quote name='Halo05']And while this is off topic a bit, the Subsistence version of MGS3 is much better thanks to an improved camera system.[/QUOTE]

I finally played through my copy of Subsistence recently. It was a great game but certainly wasn't as epic as everyone makes it out to be.

My biggest issue with it was that Subsistence had the MUCH better 3rd person camera ... except for the fight with The Boss. I was so fucking angry that I was forced to use ghetto MGS camera during that fight after being used to a real camera.

This thread slowly became for MGS3. :fridge:

I noticed they changed the codec pictures. All of them used to look like famous people. I can see why they wanted to change that for the re-release. Big Boss was Sean Connery, Snake was Mel Gibson, Grey Fox was Tom Berenger. See if you can't recognize a few.

cast.gif

Beat it. Took about 6 hours with a faqs. It'll probably take 10 without one simply because there is a tremendous amount of backtracking and you often forget which doors you don't have keys for. Plus the puzzles are pretty vague, there a few I wouldn't have figured out without a faqs. The backtracking is probably the games only weakness. Got the animal code "Zebra" at the end. Funny, I think I got this same code in MGS1.

I found a couple holes in the story, however they're spoilers for if you haven't beat MGS4 yet:
I don't see how Big Boss could've survived what snake did to him. He pretty much set him on fire and Big Boss burnt to a crisp then exploded. And during the last boss fight one of your codec contacts (Keslar) informs you that after your first encounter with Big Boss he was found with no arms, no legs, missing an ear and an eye. He continues to say because of his missing limbs he's pretty much half robot :shock: This is something that was never mentioned in the Solid games. Plus Big Boss lost his eye in Snake Eater. It just didn't connect

[quote name='DaveD']I'm pretty sure Snake's Revenge wasn't given any sort of Metal Gear moniker, and of course isn't considered canon to the series.

You've got to play MGS3!!!!! It took me 3 years to be able to actually play through it. I couldn't get into it at first, but when it kicks in, it kicks ass. I only have the Snake Eater version, so the camera is absolutely terrible. I decided to just run and gun it instead of sneak, since sneaking is so hard with the janky camera. MGS3 is epic, that's all I can really say. The story is so freaking ridiculously engrossing, you can't put it down when you get into it. You've got to give it another go.[/quote]

Yeah a really engrossing story with a guy who shoots bees ,a guy who leeps like a Frog,And a man who can electrocute people naturally.

Realy engrossing Indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']Keep in mind the NES games and MSX games are different, I think the MSX games are superior. In fact the NES Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge isn't even considered part of the series.

But you don't need to do anything to play it.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually recommend Snake's Revenge pretty highly. People seem to constantly shit on it but it's definitely a worthwhile game and a nice follow up to the NES Metal Gear.

If the fact that it's not canon annoys you, pretend it's a different setting. The game is quite fun regardless, aside from the odd (but thankfully brief) side-scrolling segments.

[quote name='MarkMan']Just wondering, does anyone here own an actual MSX copy of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake?

^_^[/quote]

It only came out in Japan

[quote name='Rodimus']
I found a couple holes in the story, however they're spoilers for if you haven't beat MGS4 yet:
I don't see how Big Boss could've survived what snake did to him. He pretty much set him on fire and Big Boss burnt to a crisp then exploded. And during the last boss fight one of your codec contacts (Keslar) informs you that after your first encounter with Big Boss he was found with no arms, no legs, missing an ear and an eye. He continues to say because of his missing limbs he's pretty much half robot :shock: This is something that was never mentioned in the Solid games. Plus Big Boss lost his eye in Snake Eater. It just didn't connect
[/QUOTE]
It's explained at the very end of 4.
Parts of Liquid and Solidus were used to rebuild Big Boss's missing body parts.

[quote name='vashknives114']It's explained at the very end of 4.
Parts of Liquid and Solidus were used to rebuild Big Boss's missing body parts.
[/quote]

I know, but if you see the animation of Big Boss dieing he freakin' explodes. I guess it's just the old 8-bit way of saying "you win." I probably shouldn't take it so seriously.

I would assume all his robot parts were taken out while re-fitting him with human parts. I guess that would make sense.

[quote name='PINKO']It only came out in Japan[/quote]

Uh, yeah I know that. I was still wondering if anyone has a legit copy of it... lol.

I was at Anime Expo last weekend and one vendor had a pristine MSX2 and also a copy of Solid Snake. The game alone was $300 X_X !

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was consistently going for $250ish before MGS4 craze kicked into high gear...

I'm curious to see what prices will end up being a year from now. Then again you never see it on ebay nowadays.

bread's done
Back