Metal Gear Box.

GTmaster39

CAGiversary!
I just got a new 80gig hdd, and I needed something to put it in. So I go to Fry's Electronics and I'm looking around for external casings......what I found was freak'n sweet. This thing is a called a Metal Gear Box, all plug and play, I didnt even have to install drivers. Take a look at the pics. I'm pretty proud of my self. It's nothing to brag about by any means, I just wanted to show off what I got today.

Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

For your own protection: I hope that enclosure has it's own cooling. If not, expect it to die within a year.

I put together my own external drive a few months ago, and after doing lots of research, it was quite apparent that getting a case with its own cooling system is HIGHLY critical.

But yours does look nice, I'll give you that.

[quote name='Strell']For your own protection: I hope that enclosure has it's own cooling. If not, expect it to die within a year.

I put together my own external drive a few months ago, and after doing lots of research, it was quite apparent that getting a case with its own cooling system is HIGHLY critical.

But yours does look nice, I'll give you that.[/QUOTE]

It's not sealed shut, it has vents all the way around it where the lights are glowing.

Vents don't equal cooling. I'm talking about internal fans that create circulation and keep it cool. I guess if you touch it and it's not warm, it should be just fine.

It's all just for your protection, that's the only reason I'm mentioning this.

[quote name='Strell']Vents don't equal cooling. I'm talking about internal fans that create circulation and keep it cool. I guess if you touch it and it's not warm, it should be just fine.

It's all just for your protection, that's the only reason I'm mentioning this.[/QUOTE]

It is a tad warm, but there is no way anyone could fit a fan in this thing. Thanks, you've official scared the shit out of me.

How much did it cost?

I remember when I got my first external enclosure from CompUSA that it has a fan switch which does an okay job of blowing out the air and it was about 40 bucks. The second time I went to CompUSA they apprently felt the fan was suddenly unecessary and the new models of the same store brand enclosure didnt have it. it kinda pissed me off but I didn't feel like going back and having to spend more time trying to get one that may or maynot still have the fan.

[quote name='Alpha2']How much did it cost?

I remember when I got my first external enclosure from CompUSA that it has a fan switch which does an okay job of blowing out the air and it was about 40 bucks. The second time I went to CompUSA they apprently felt the fan was suddenly unecessary and the new models of the same store brand enclosure didnt have it. it kinda pissed me off but I didn't feel like going back and having to spend more time trying to get one that may or maynot still have the fan.[/QUOTE]

It cost me about.......45.

[quote name='THe VGM']You lost all bragging rights because you have a Dell ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey, a cheapass is a cheapass no matter what. And something that plays music, surfs the web and plays dvds all for 400 bones is ok in my book.

Not trying to scare you. Just that after working tech support and general computer shit for several years, seems like no one understands anything, and I try to educate as best I can. Any kind of hard drive needs cooling, not just circulation. I'd suggest not letting it run all the time next to your comp, bnut only when you are backing up information. Just be smart with it and you shouldn't have any problems - don't let it sit in the sun, run for weeks straight, keep it ventilated in an uncluttered area, etc. You should be fine.

I've had 2 of these USB2.0 version Metal Gear Box'es for over a year now. I have a 160GB Maxtor 7200 8MB in one, and an 80GB WD 7200 8MB in the other. The casing gets warm but never too hot to touch, not even in the summer (here in So. Cali). I've been running these 2 externals for almost 24/7 in the past year w/o problems. I suppose the cooling by the side vents are adequate as long as your room has A/C or has really good cooling. Both of mine costed $50 total ($25 each) over a year ago, so I'm not sure if the enclosures really worth $45 each (unless it supports both USB2.0 and 1394, then, maybe) since it's a simple case without anything fancy.

bread's done
Back