Metal Gear Chronology question...

psychobuck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Does anyone know about all of the Metal Gear games that have been released? I played Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty (PS2) and am playing MGS4 Patriots (PS3) now. I know I missed MGS3: Snake Eater (PS2). What about the others? Ive heard of

MGS3: Subsistence
MGS2: The Document

I feel like I may be missing one. I guess what I want to know is are any of them remakes, posssibly with additional content? I wanna get any that I've missed but I dont wanna waste money on duplicates.

Also, whats the deal with the ones for the PSP... Acid, Acid2, Portable Ops, Portable Ops Plus?

I appreciate any info.

Thanks!

MGS3 Subsistence is an improved version of Snake Eater. It adds a controllable camera, so it's definitely worth getting instead of Snake Eater.

[quote name='ihadFG']MGS3 Subsistence is an improved version of Snake Eater. It adds a controllable camera, so it's definitely worth getting instead of Snake Eater.[/QUOTE]

Awesome to know. Thats the reason I didnt play Snake Eater. Tried it for like 15 mins and hated the camera. Thanks.

Story-wise the only PSP Metal Gears you'd want to play are Portable Ops & Peacewalker which is due out soon.

Like ihadFG said Subsistence is defiantly worth a look. Not only is MGS3 an awesome addition to the series it also has the original Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. And not the cheap NES versions but the superior MSX versions. Here's the story chronologically told:

Metal Gear Solid 3 (Subsistence)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Plus)
Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker
Metal Gear
Metal Gear: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid (Twin Snakes)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Substance)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4:_Guns_of_the_Patriots

All the canonical games in chronological order below.

MGS3
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MG1
MG2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

MGS1 came out in two versions, the PSX original and the Twin Snakes version on the Gamecube. The Twin Snakes game is a major upgrade to the PSX original, but it's mostly the same.

MGS2 came out in two versions, Sons of Liberty and Substance. Substance adds a whole bunch of extras, but the stories are pretty much the same between the two.

The Document of MGS2 isn't a game, but it's a piece of software that runs on the PS2. It's a big behind the scenes documentary about how they made the game. It also allows you to do all sorts of things like view the environments and character models.

MGS3 came out in two versions, Snake Eater and Subsistence. Subsistence adds a whole bunch of extras and reworks the camera system in the main game. It also comes with proper ports of the two Metal Gear (not Solid) games on the old Japanese MSX computer which you probably never heard of. Those two games are where the series got its start.

There is also MGS: VR Missions. It's a collection of VR simulations. I'm not sure where or if it fits into the MGS canon. MGS2 references VR simulation, but it's arguable if it's talking about the VR Missions game.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with Portable Ops Plus. To the best of my knowledge, it's just an expansion to the original Portable Ops's online multiplayer mode.

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel for the Game Boy Color. (It came out as Metal Gear Solid in the US, just a marketing renaming to cash in on the popularity of the PSX game.) While it's generally not considered canon, there are arguments that it depicts the training of a particular character in MGS2.

The Acid games are not considered canon.

Metal Gear for the NES is not considered canon. The version of Metal Gear for the MSX as well as the PS2 port in MGS3: Subsistence is the true Metal Gear.

Snake's Revenge for the NES is just :lol:

Rod and Chup,
Thank you guys for all the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Basically I dont need to buy Twin Snakes. I thought it was a different game. Save myself a few bucks. All it looks like I need is Subsistence and the Portable Ops for PSP I guess. Whats the deal with the Acids? I hear theyre turn based (RPG like ?) Are they worth playing? I dont mean for the story, just in general.

I've never played them but the Acid games are actually card based strategy games. They got decent reviews so I guess they're worth playing if you like that kinda thing. Not really my cup of tea.

[quote name='Chuplayer']
I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with Portable Ops Plus. To the best of my knowledge, it's just an expansion to the original Portable Ops's online multiplayer mode.
[/QUOTE]

I believe Portable Ops Plus is just a bunch of online missions that have no bearing on the plot of the series.

I bought the MGS Essential Collection as well as MGS4 for the PS3. I've never played a MGS game. I have PSP so I also have access to those now too.

So, I'm asking the same question I ask everytime before I start a new franchise. Should I play in release order or in chronological order? Is the story consistency really worth the back and forth between generations?

Peace Walker is actually Metal Gear Solid 5. However, due to Konami being worried about the game bombing overseas on PSP (piracy) they dropped the 5 from the title. Of course, that's an unofficial reason of course, but it's probably a good reason.

Also, there was talks about releasing it on PS3 through PSN to help it sell better overseas. I don't really understand how that could help, but whatever.

Also, I just want to throw out my love for the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3. Best ending to a video game, ever.

I went through this when I got my PS3 and I played them in order of release:

MGS1(*1)
MGS2: Sons of Liberty
MGS3: Snake Eater(*2)
Portable Ops (*3)
MGS4

*1- I had access to the gamecube version of MGS: Twin Snakes at the time, but decided not to play it because it wasn't directed by Hideo, and it isn't considered the cannon version of events. Also, I thought it would be useful to play the games all on the same controller.

*2- I had the essential collection- so I was forced to skip MG1 & MG2 that are included in the rerelease of Snake Eater. I got the disc later, and honestly they haven't aged great, so it wasn't a loss. Just read the wikipedia pages before you get started and it should all make sense.

*3- I personally enjoyed the big screen break from MGS at this point. The story to PO isn't super important, but it's interesting filler. Buy this off the PSN if possible or at a non-gamestop retailer. Gamestop guts their games, and the inventory is awful. On 3 different occasions, gamestop tried to give me MGS:pO+ instead of regular PO, and it took me forever to find a copy.

Regarding AC!D : These aren't officially part of the storyline, and I skipped them.

MGS PS1 also has superior music. Most people also like the voice acting better even though it was mostly the same cast.

Awww, so the versions of the games in the essential collection doesn't come with all the bonus stuff that was on the standalone releases?

[quote name='Buuhan1']Awww, so the versions of the games in the essential collection doesn't come with all the bonus stuff that was on the standalone releases?[/QUOTE]

"Essential" comes with the original MGS1 release, The enhanced version of MGS2, and the enhanced version of MGS3 (disc 1).

Because MGS3 was a 2 disc collection, you lose everything that was on the 2nd disc, which includes the original 2 titles, and (if I remember correctly) a gag real of the videos they ran at E3 and all that stuff.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I bought the MGS Essential Collection as well as MGS4 for the PS3. I've never played a MGS game. I have PSP so I also have access to those now too.

So, I'm asking the same question I ask everytime before I start a new franchise. Should I play in release order or in chronological order? Is the story consistency really worth the back and forth between generations?[/QUOTE]

That is a tough question. I actually played the series in chronological order early last year while I was out of work. It was a lot of fun, but I think that is something only appreciated by someone who has played the series in release order.

I kind of want to suggest to play it in release order, so you can kind of follow the path that "the rest of us" did. I don't know if playing in chronological order really offers any benefit, because not a lot of the series storylines come together until the last few hours of mgs4 anyways. But when I was playing the series in chrono order, I found it difficult sometimes because you'd be going to from a PSP (portal ops) to a ps2/3 (snake eater) to a NES/Emulator/Maybe you have the subsistence 2nd disk if you are super lucky. IT was a unique and trying experience. The original metal gear on NES was one of the hardest games I ever played. I remember getting a NES for xmas with that game when I was like 5 or 6 and never played because I never understood it....and still struggled with it 20 years later lol

Thanks, think I'll follow your advice and play in release order. Not gonna bother with MG, NES games kick my ass.

bread's done
Back