metal gear essentials reprinted?

CaoPi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I was at the walmart a bit out of town they had 3 copies sealed for $20 sure beats those crazy online prices!

They seem to be pretty abundant at some walmarts (mine has about 6), but they still sell for about $40 on ebay so I think they're fairly hard to find outside of walmart.

Most techies/Apple enthusiasts don't like shopping at Walmart, so $40 on eBay is a better deal than $20 at Wally World.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Most techies/Apple enthusiasts don't like shopping at Walmart, so $40 on eBay is a better deal than $20 at Wally World.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself (I am a techie and Apple user). I'll go to any B&M store over ebay any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
There's nothing wrong with Walmart, unless you hate capitalism.:D

[quote name='Vader582']Speak for yourself (I am a techie and Apple user). I'll go to any B&M store over ebay any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
There's nothing wrong with Walmart, unless you hate capitalism.:D[/QUOTE]

Capitalism has nothing to do with hating Wal-Mart... I'm both a Techie & Apple user (not that it matters, and is not the reasoning behind despising Wal-Mart BTW), and I FORBID to do business with this shithole of a company. They're single handedly destroying our country. Everywhere one is placed it drives the property values DOWN. That's plenty of reason to hate the company. But they're also responsible for driving the companies who built this great country out of business. I can go on and on but supporting WM is the last thing we americans should be doing.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']They're single handedly destroying our country. [/QUOTE]
Single-handedly? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you?

Trash-dumps also drive property values down. I'm very curious to people's aversion to Walmart. I can understand it in the past. They were dirty and unorganized but they've changed over the past few years, like any good business should. The dislike of Walmart just comes off as a hipster thing to me. What's the reasoning behind the hate? They close down mom and pop stores? Well, if their prices were better and the community really cared then the mom & pop shop, it would have survived. That is capitalism.

Would you not consider Walmart a great American company? Their main offices still have wood-laminate covered walls. The CEOs of the company still work out of these offices. When other companies, in lavish buildings were asking for a handout from the American people, Walmart was able to stand on it own and adjust their business to survive, without depending on taxpayer money. That's a great company.

I'm not saying they don't have their issues but this hatred seems irrational and an attempt to jump on a bandwagon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely not a hipster thing to me. I've witnessed first hand the destruction they cause.

The people not "caring" of the small businesses are just following the trend. WM being a one stop shop is what's really killing the small businesses.

I'm not sure where you live but in CO, the trash containment facilities are in the outskirts of towns in undeveloped areas. Not drastically impacting property values like throwing a supercenter into a suburban community.

They can be considered an "American" company but I wouldn't consider them an "innovator" of anything in American culture.

Do you know that the WM execs/family have a ridiculous bunker in case the apocalypse were to ever happen? I don't care if they work in a state of the art building. That doesn't show how humbling a CEO or corporate employee is.

Thanks for the heads up. I went and got a copy at Wal-Mart. For $19.96, this is hard to pass up. There were MANY copies at the Wal-Mart in Collierville, TN.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']The people not "caring" of the small businesses are just following the trend. WM being a one stop shop is what's really killing the small businesses.[/QUOTE]

In the 1960's Walmart (Walton's Five and Dime back then) was a small business. I think it's funny how everyone wants to pat the small businesses on the back when they're down, but should they become extremely successful and turn into large national chains, they are now evil and should be destroyed.

Yes, Walmart keeps a good number of small businesses from succeeding, but have you ever thought why? They offer the products at a lower price with their competitive business model. If you went into a Mom & Pop store and they charged $70 for a new game that Walmart sells for $60 would you buy it on principle? Do you refuse to shop at all large national chains? Targets, JC Penny, Food Lion, Dillards, Macys, Farm Fresh, etc etc etc? All of those companies stomp all over the small businesses that sell clothing, food, and household goods.

Every time I have ever heard someone make the argument you are making, they have always turned out to be a huge hypocrite. I highly doubt you only support small businesses, especially considering the website we are currently on. Picking one large chain out of the lot as the most glaring example and painting them as the problem while continuing to shop at other stores that do the same thing (provide unbeatable competition for the small business owner) is ridiculous.

[quote name='blindinglights']In the 1960's Walmart (Walton's Five and Dime back then) was a small business. I think it's funny how everyone wants to pat the small businesses on the back when they're down, but should they become extremely successful and turn into large national chains, they are now evil and should be destroyed.

Yes, Walmart keeps a good number of small businesses from succeeding, but have you ever thought why? They offer the products at a lower price with their competitive business model. If you went into a Mom & Pop store and they charged $70 for a new game that Walmart sells for $60 would you buy it on principle? Do you refuse to shop at all large national chains? Targets, JC Penny, Food Lion, Dillards, Macys, Farm Fresh, etc etc etc? All of those companies stomp all over the small businesses that sell clothing, food, and household goods.

Every time I have ever heard someone make the argument you are making, they have always turned out to be a huge hypocrite. I highly doubt you only support small businesses, especially considering the website we are currently on. Picking one large chain out of the lot as the most glaring example and painting them as the problem while continuing to shop at other stores that do the same thing (provide unbeatable competition for the small business owner) is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Well, not sure what other people's issues are with Wal-Mart, but from my perspective, my fundamental problem is the way they treat their employees. Wal-Mart is notorious for hiring people and keeping them just below full-time to stave off having to give health benefits. The company also muscles politicians and local councils to make sure it doesn't have to pay the same amount in taxes. It's one thing to be big and powerful, but I'd like to think such great power and profits could mean it treats and pays its workers much more.

I always look at how demoralized Wal-Mart workers are, and then compare them with Costco. To me, Costco is the height of capitalism at its best. Sure, Costco has issues but there's a company that makes a lot of money, sells at fair to low prices, and offers all its employees high wages and strong benefits packages.

Too many people nowadays just look at Wal-Mart and insist it wins because -- well -- that's capitalism. Actually, that's a far too simple answer. Capitalism isn't just about making high profits at whatever expense to your workers. Capitalism isn't about driving prices so low that you force manufacturers to start substituting low-quality into your products (80% of Wal-Mart's stuff comes from China and look closely at some of the ingredients in your products -- you'll be surprised that Wal-Mart's "versions" of the same products you buy elsewhere have different ingredients-- for instance, its strawberry jam from Smucker's has high fructose corn syrup -- when you look at the same one at Costco -- it doesn't).

It's not about a race to the bottom, as some call it. That sort of capitalism is dangerous -- may be that's why we now have to resort to more government oversight in all our markets.

If you really think Wal-Mart is a great company then go watch Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. It's available on NetFlix instant streaming. Basic things that are covered in the documentary are:

-Wal-mart keeping employees under full time to not give them benefits.
-Most wal-mart workers are overworked and don't get paid for that time they are overworked. Wal-mart's settle a ton of lawsuits regarding not paying their workers already and they are still doing it today.
-Employees that do have benefits pay so much for their medical coverage that they can barely afford anything else.
-Wal-mart uses its money and political power to push around politicians and always get their way.
-Wal-mart uses its vast resources to reallocate their stores whenever the old store proves to be worse than the new one. For example; one wal-mart was just about to start giving a town 100% of its sales tax revenue and then Wal-mart closed down that store, and built a new store 1.1 miles away just outside of the town to fuck them over.
-Towns actually give Wal-mart money to build their store. Guess who pays for that money?

And many other things. Wal-mart is a piece of shit company, period. I do buy from them and have no problem admitting that because whenever I do buy from them, I'm making money off of them. Even then, I rarely buy things from Wal-mart.

[quote name='DarkRider23']If you really think Wal-Mart is a great company then go watch Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. It's available on NetFlix instant streaming. Basic things that are covered in the documentary are:

-Most wal-mart workers are overworked and don't get paid for that time they are overworked. Wal-mart's settle a ton of lawsuits regarding not paying their workers already and they are still doing it today.
-Employees that do have benefits pay so much for their medical coverage that they can barely afford anything else.
-Wal-mart uses its money and political power to push around politicians and always get their way.
-Wal-mart uses its vast resources to reallocate their stores whenever the old store proves to be worse than the new one. For example; one wal-mart was just about to start giving a town 100% of its sales tax revenue and then Wal-mart closed down that store, and built a new store 1.1 miles away just outside of the town to fuck them over.
-Towns actually give Wal-mart money to build their store. Guess who pays for that money?

And many other things. Wal-mart is a piece of shit company, period. I do buy from them and have no problem admitting that because whenever I do buy from them, I'm making money off of them. Even then, I rarely buy things from Wal-mart.[/QUOTE]

I am watching that show on youtube right now. Very interesting stuff, I knew some of it and learned other things. wow, just wow.

My main issue with Walmart is the horrible deals and lack of concern for the customer. They always have long lines for example, tonight they had 3 lines open and 6+ people in each line. Target always opens up more registers if there is a line. The game prices are a joke, clearance consists of old PS2 games for $10 and so many old games are full price. My local store still has Madden 02 for XBox st $19.82 (and I scanned it to see if it really was that price)

[quote name='DarkRider23']If you really think Wal-Mart is a great company then go watch Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. It's available on NetFlix instant streaming. Basic things that are covered in the documentary are:

And many other things. Wal-mart is a piece of shit company, period. I do buy from them and have no problem admitting that because whenever I do buy from them, I'm making money off of them. Even then, I rarely buy things from Wal-mart.[/QUOTE]

You could quite literally, replace the word "Walmart" in your above statement with any myriad of US companies.
By the way, you're not making money off of Walmart. You're making money off some other person who walked into Walmart and couldn't find what they were looking for...makes for a degree of hypocrisy in your criticism of Walmart, IMHO.

I see your one documentary and raise you Penn & Teller and CNBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-o1fj1rX7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSfSB51gcwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_LN50mJGSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYZ9uMXHRM

[quote name='YoshiFan1']They always have long lines for example, tonight they had 3 lines open and 6+ people in each line. Target always opens up more registers if there is a line. The game prices are a joke, clearance consists of old PS2 games for $10 and so many old games are full price. My local store still has Madden 02 for XBox st $19.82 (and I scanned it to see if it really was that price)[/QUOTE]

See, what you described above happens to me about 90% of the time at Target.
It feels like I always have to wait in line in the Targets here and they are slow to open more than 2 lanes at a time.
It all depends on the manager, no matter the store/company.

I have actually seen that show before as well as seeing articles about the dirty business practices that Walmart uses. My frustration with the conversation prior to my post was the "Walmart is kills small businesses" commentary. I hate it when people get on their soap box like they are some small business activist because they hate Walmart. It's always the same story:

I hate Walmart! They kill small businesses! .... Let me go to Target to pick up a new TV stand, drop by Krogers to get groceries, get some supplies from Lowes, and eat at Applebees.

What about the local family owned furniture store? The grocery store in town owned by that old couple? The hardware store in town owned by that nice man? The lady who opened a home cooking restaurant downtown?

Avoiding every large chain that kills off small businesses is damn near impossible these days since the small businesses close and most of the time they don't return. So why act high and mighty about supporting small businesses through hatred of Walmart when chances are you don't make any further effort to shop only at small businesses on principle? Even more so when you're on a website called "cheap ass gamer" since most of the deals will be at larger stores that can afford to make sharp price cuts or do clearances.

Maybe this topic is just a pet peeve of mine. Walmart gives plenty of reasons to hate it, why not use the valid ones.

bread's done
Back