metal gear online beta

snowsquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just signed up for the metal gear online beta. I immediately got an email saying that I don't qualify, but no reason? Did any Canadians get in? Or is there some other reason? I don't think they have actually announced people who got in yet (other than people who preordered).

~S

It'd be good to get confirmation on this, since I'm thinking of buying the MGS Saga disc off ebay (for like... $15 but sooo worth it since I missed the preorder thing) and I don't want to be stuck in some sort of region locking limbo malarky.

Interesting. Did you email them? There's a konami beta support email on the slip.

Maybe they just don't allow signups until the official download date on the 17th. I'm leaving the country on the 26th and I've been debating giving/selling my code off since I won't be able to use it for the full length. I got into the Bad Company beta and find myself not really playing it and feel kinda guilty.

[quote name='darkandlong']Interesting. Did you email them? There's a konami beta support email on the slip.

Maybe they just don't allow signups until the official download date on the 17th. I'm leaving the country on the 26th and I've been debating giving/selling my code off since I won't be able to use it for the full length. I got into the Bad Company beta and find myself not really playing it and feel kinda guilty.[/quote]

If you're giving away the key I'll totally take it off your hands. Also if you're selling the SAGA DVD that came with the key I'll buy that one :). I've been contemplating buying the SAGA DVD off ebay for like 25-20$ (plus shipping :(:().

My EB games is still doing to preorder thing. They had 10 of the bonus discs and online keys left. You didn't have to buy the SE version either.
~S

I didn't read carefully enough... in the smaller print, it says at this time you don't qualify, stay tuned you may qualify later. Ok that makes sense, possibly on the 17th, I may get another email.

~S

"If you have attained a MGO Beta UPVC, then Thursday, April 17th, this week, the download of the MGO Beta client will be available to you through the PlayStation Store on your PS3 (but please bear in mind, gameplay does not start until April 21st , and then will run until May 5th) - again, please do not try to redeem your UPVC before April 17th, you will just get an error message. You need to carefully follow the instructions provided on the MGO Beta UPVC insert in order to get at the download of the MGO Beta client through the PlayStation Store on your PS3. It is also important to note that your UPVC for the MGO Beta is good for only one PS3/PSN/PlayStation Store account, so you should absolutely NOT share your UPVC with anyone (unless you plan to forfeit your MGO Beta to whoever you give the UPVC to). There will not be any additional issue/reissue, replacement, etc of these codes - so again, we stress, please DO NOT share your UPVC for the MGO Beta with anyone!"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...ion-blog-with-metal-gear-online-beta-details/

I signed up yesterday as soon as the blog post went live and ended up getting one instantly. I'm giving it to a friend as I already have it pre-ordered and am just waiting on my MGS SAGA VOL. 2 disc.

Yeh, I believe there was only a certain number of spaces available. Maybe they'll allow more people in after the initial swarm of testers.

dont you just put the code in through your ps3 on the 17th, download the beta, and play? (ala COD4 and halo 3) or is there something im missing here

[quote name='JnJosh']dont you just put the code in through your ps3 on the 17th, download the beta, and play? (ala COD4 and halo 3) or is there something im missing here[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly what you do.

However, it looks like Konami/Sony have put the beta up for download 1 day earlier than expected!

I just downloaded my copy and updated it to version 1.01.

I'm downloading the update to 1.01 right now.. its been going at 30-50kbs for like 15 mins and its only @ 10% :/

[quote name='kathos']I got the beta, installed and everything, is anyone else having trouble with the update download?[/quote]

Sort of...I've been on and off the whole update thing all day, as sometimes it would sit idle at 0KB/s. I finally got it to work and i've been downloading at a range of 30-100KB/s, PS3 has been on since about 7 or 8pm EST. Takes forever!:cry:

[quote name='AJD23']Sort of...I've been on and off the whole update thing all day, as sometimes it would sit idle at 0KB/s. I finally got it to work and i've been downloading at a range of 30-100KB/s, PS3 has been on since about 7 or 8pm EST. Takes forever!:cry:[/quote]

It's been exactly 15 minutes at the time of this writing since my last post, and it just started and it's at 1%.

If I did my math correctly I should have 25hrs more to go, joy!

Well my MGS SAGA VOL. 2 dvd came with a 9 digit code so I emailed Konami and have been waiting 48 hours for a response so far... sweet.

If anyone finds it difficult to find this promo DVD, just PM me. I know where you can grab one! Not free, but you need to do preorder with them.

By the way, Ottawa only please

[quote name='danthemightyone']If anyone finds it difficult to find this promo DVD, just PM me. I know where you can grab one! Not free, but you need to do preorder with them.

By the way, Ottawa only please[/quote]
Is this secret of yours called best buy ? :roll:

[quote name='MatiasB']Is this secret of yours called best buy ? :roll:[/quote]

Not really a secret, but would prevent lurkers/hoarders from snatching everything.

Wait, Best Buy Inc's doing pre order saga discs too?!??!

EDIT: also, the update for the beta took an overnight. I just left it on.

how the hell do i get an id from konami?

the site is slower than molasses in january, (id.konami.net) and it says i've timed out if i put in my country language and birthdate.

Am i missing something?

[quote name='JnJosh']how the hell do i get an id from konami?

the site is slower than molasses in january, (id.konami.net) and it says i've timed out if i put in my country language and birthdate.

Am i missing something?[/quote]

I'm having trouble too, the konami portal's down due to crap.

There's a couple of methods, to successfully get a konami ID on that site. If your registered on the us playstation boards check out the sub-forum for Metal Gear Solid series, and there's a couple. Either way, I'll share the one that was successful for me (copied and pasted from the us playstation boards):
  • You need Firefox
  • Go to Tools Add ons, Get Extensions
  • Find the AutoFormer add on and install it and restart the browser
  • goto https://id.konami.net and click register (Blue button on the left) - might take a while but keep trying
  • Enter your date of birth and go to edit in Firefox menu and find AutoFormer, click Save all fields - this will now save you entering the DOB again if you need to come back to this stage
  • click next
  • Wait until the terms show before clicking next again
  • fill out the entire form carefully, don't rush you have all the time in the world. Make sure you don't use capitals in username, and make sure game id password is all numbers. Make sure phone number and postcode have no spaces
  • now before clicking next click edit again and AutoFormer>save all fields
  • Click next, it'll probably fail due to time taken to complete the form. Don't worry
  • Start again, this time your DOB should be auto inserted click next to terms, click next to form, click next to confirmation click next and you're done - SIMPLE!!!
and all credit goes to www.playps3.co.uk

It worked for me after multiple tries, but if it doesn't work the first time, don't be worried just keep trying. Apparently, the site is so screwed up that you have a VERY limited time to input your information, and times out in literally seconds. I guess that's where the AutoFormer came in. Good luck guys ;)

I have registered two different konami id's (screwed up name in first), so deleted it. For both of them, it tells me that my email address is used by another konami id. I used different emails for both. Anyway, it can't send the confirmation email for this reason. I have a feeling trying to get a hold of konami support would be a waste time, I give up.
~S

So the Beta got delayed, I hear?

Man, some serious MGS4 fanboys are foaming at the mouth ready to play by the sounds of it. I'm one of them :D

[quote name='iamtheodork']Good thing I did this crap the day I pre-ordered.

Doesn't matter though, still can't get on.[/quote]

The timeout issue is gone, but the "heavy traffic" on their servers won't let me apply.

Godammit konami IDs were a bad idea.

Obvious questions:
1. Why can't they just use your PSN ID for an ID?
2. Why have a Konami ID, and a game ID?
3. Why can't game ID == Konami ID?
4. Why are they using a Pentium 133, 12MB RAM, on a 28.8kbs line, to power their website?
5. Why did they not test the website at all? (ie., the email already used bug, very quite timeouts, etc)?

I can't imagine the though process that lead to this debacle? I would have loved to have be a fly on the wall of that boardroom.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Obvious questions:
5. Why did they not test the website at all? (ie., the email already used bug, very quite timeouts, etc)?
~S[/quote]

You forgot that this is BETA! They are doing the test right now. Load balancing and server traffic maintenance are parts of the test.

[quote name='danthemightyone']You forgot that this is BETA! They are doing the test right now. Load balancing and server traffic maintenance are parts of the test.[/quote]
THANK YOU. It's funny how quickly people forget this ONE SIMPLE FACT. This is a beta and as such these things are bound to happen. As a matter of fact this is why the concept of a "beta" was created in the first place.

In all honesty the only thing people have a right to be angry about is the Konami ID nonsense. Totally useless.

What are you talking about? MGSO is a beta, not the website. The website, and konami id's have been around for a while, just not used in NA. I am talking about the website being a POS, not MGSO.

It should have been pretty easy for them to geta rough estimate of traffic based on the number of beta codes given out, and a little research.

Konami is million (billion?) dollar company, not some dude in his paren't basement. They should have the ability to stress test a website, and launch it without major glitches, and bottlenecks. There a lot of ways to stress test a website without human input.

~S

You can use the BETA scapegoat all you want for the actual game and server downtime. But their Konami/GAME ID form has got to be the most ridiculous sign up processes I've heard of for a while.

It's obvious they didn't bother to go through any proper private testing or research on this thing, and is garbage as a result. The user shouldn't have to worry about not capitalizing or removing spaces from fields, or use an unconventional/numeric-only password for their account, etc.

If you want to slap a four-letter word on the sign iup process, LAZY would be more fitting.

[quote name='danthemightyone']You forgot that this is BETA! They are doing the test right now. Load balancing and server traffic maintenance are parts of the test.[/QUOTE]

So the 9 digit codes (Which don't work, as you need a 12 digit code) are part of the test, too?

Sarcasm aside, if they're having this many problems before the actual gameplay goes live, then the delay is a very good thing for Konami. Let's hope they get the problems sorted out soon.

It's online! I just played a few team deathmatches...
6 on 6....I have no idea what I'm doing. But it's so fun and
the graphics are amazing! No lag, what a hot game!
This just makes me want MGS4 even more!
(I got shot trying to mount the human catapult!)

Anyone online? My Konami ID is brlitoro, game ID is brlito.. and my character name is brlito.

So if anyone wants to add me, go right ahead.

Godamn I hate this Konami ID bullshit.

Hey everybody, well i've been playing as well and I think the game is awesome. Hard as shit but pretty cool non the less.

So how many people would be into a canadian cag clan?[CCC!?] or gaming group ?

[quote name='MatiasB']Hey everybody, well i've been playing as well and I think the game is awesome. Hard as shit but pretty cool non the less.

So how many people would be into a canadian cag clan?[CCC!?] or gaming group ?[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea, we'd immediately have a group to play with XD.

just on a side note. My store is getting another 40 copies of the pre order disc. I am sure most stores are... for those that missed out.

bread's done
Back