METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION XBOX 360 $24.99 on XBOX LIVE

BamNanas

CAGiversary!
This is my first thread :D saw it on live today. So I wanted to share with everyone sorry if it been posted already.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/MGS-HDC/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024b4e0840

Share your thoughts deal or no deal. I'm debating whether to wait for it to hit $19.99 but $24.99 is the cheapest I've seen it yet especially through xbox live lol :bouncy:

EDIT: The deal is only for Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3. Doesn't include Peace Walker my bad for the mix up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kazuya']I own my digital content, and I'm not losing it tomorrow. Step into the real world with me and out of the fantasy world... before your dad steps on another one of your discs. You are not going to play through Metal Gear Solid 20 years from now. You think you will, and it sounds like a good idea, but it's not going to happen.[/QUOTE]
You don't own the content noob. Try actually reading the TOS. You're licensing the content.

We may remove your content from the Service at any time and for any reason, including if: (i) you breach this contract; (ii) the content exceeds limits on storage or file size; or (iii) we cancel or suspend the Service. You are responsible for backing up the data and content that you store on the Service. We may permanently delete your data from our servers if the Service is suspended or canceled. We do not have any obligation to return data to you after the Service is suspended or canceled. If data is stored with an expiration date, we may also delete the data as of that date. Data that is deleted may be irretrievable.

We provide the Service "as-is," "with all faults," and "as available." We do not guarantee the suitability, reliability, availability, accuracy or timeliness of information available from the Service, or that the Service will be uninterrupted, secure, error-free or that data loss will not occur. You acknowledge that computer and telecommunications systems are not fault-free and occasional periods of downtime will occur. We give no express warranties, guarantees, or conditions. We disclaim all warranties with regard to the Service, including any implied warranties (e.g., those of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, workmanlike effort, title and non-infringement). You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws that this contract cannot change.

You can recover from us for all successful claims only direct damages up to a total amount equal to your Service fee for one month. You cannot recover any other damages, including consequential, special, indirect, incidental, or punitive damages and lost profits.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kazuya']I own my digital content, and I'm not losing it tomorrow. Step into the real world with me and out of the fantasy world... before your dad steps on another one of your discs. You are not going to play through Metal Gear Solid 20 years from now. You think you will, and it sounds like a good idea, but it's not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

No we are only replaying the games 11 and 8 years after they were originally released... I even still play my original Legend of Zelda

[quote name='needler420']You don't own the content noob. Try actually reading the TOS. You're licensing the content.

We may remove your content from the Service at any time and for any reason, including if: (i) you breach this contract; (ii) the content exceeds limits on storage or file size; or (iii) we cancel or suspend the Service. You are responsible for backing up the data and content that you store on the Service. We may permanently delete your data from our servers if the Service is suspended or canceled. We do not have any obligation to return data to you after the Service is suspended or canceled. If data is stored with an expiration date, we may also delete the data as of that date. Data that is deleted may be irretrievable[/QUOTE]

What is your point, this is exactly the same for disc games, you don't own them either. You have a license to play them. Your whole argument is based on the doomsday Live ending scenario, but I already told you, my games are backed up. I don't need Live, your argument is null and void.

The point was never really about how long these things will last, of course a disc and a console is going to be the longest lasting scenario. But there's no reason people wont be able to enjoy their digital content for the foreseeable future... all you're doing is spreading misinformation and paranoia. What you just can't face is that it's totally ridiculous to ignore money-saving deals on the basis of MAYBE not being able to play these games 20 years in the future. It's hilarious you think that you will care about that then.

[quote name='feeter277']No we are only replaying the games 11 and 8 years after they were originally released... I even still play my original Legend of Zelda[/QUOTE]

How old are you? I do know people who play/replay older games, but they are younger people who have time to do it in addition to playing current titles. While I do think that we will one day start to see older gamers who started at the Atari/PC level, the truth is you are probably not going to be gaming at all in 20 years. That's just life.

[quote name='Kazuya']While I do think that we will one day start to see older gamers who started at the Atari/PC level, the truth is you are probably not going to be gaming at all in 20 years. That's just life.[/QUOTE]

We exist, I've been gaming for over thirty years... ;)

[quote name='Kazuya']How old are you? I do know people who play/replay older games, but they are younger people who have time to do it in addition to playing current titles. While I do think that we will one day start to see older gamers who started at the Atari/PC level, the truth is you are probably not going to be gaming at all in 20 years. That's just life.[/QUOTE]

The average age for a gamer is currently 37, which also happens to be my age. We grew up with this medium and we have no inclination to toss gaming aside any more than we might toss aside other mediums such as literature, television or film.

I just busted out my NES to play rampage, Arch Rivals and Super Spike V'Ball. I would bust out my SNES to play FF2/3 and Chrono Trigger often but I sold the cartridges for $50+ a piece a while ago. Me and my friends still regularly break out our Xbox to play Halo LAN. Not to mention I have a modded Xbox that houses all my ROMS for NES, SNES, Genesis etc.

So I am a person that can vouch for still playing old systems. I am also going on 30 so can vouch for "older" gamers. Granted I don't get to game a ton, but I still do

I'm finding this physical vs digital debate to be funny. Both sides are making good points here, but ultimately things will be digital anyhow. As a guy who enjoys having a big collection of games, I understand the pride a person can have in regards to their collection. However, digital is going to be the way of the future. Look in terms of the hardware such as the SNES. Most of the cartridge batteries are dying/dead already, so you would have to either replace them yourself or get someone to do it for you (costing you additional time and money on top of the media cost).

What is ironic is that most of this "digital only" content has already been (or will be) preserved by console modders/hackers. Which will allow future generations to be able to play them without them completely disappearing.

Digital content loses, period. Just check back for the halo 2 fiasco with the games dlc and such. You can't go back and download old Xbox content anymore so if that worries/bothers you, then get a physical copy. I'm an adult gamer and have experienced all of this myself.

Back on topic, you're better off waiting for a sale on the physical copy of the HD Collection unless of course, you don't care for Peacewalker.

[quote name='needler420']You must have missed the memo to what happened to the first xbox live service.[/QUOTE]

he still has those Halo 2 Maps and digital copy of Ms PacMan sitting on his Xbox harddrive...
now if the original xbox dies,i guess he's still right?

[quote name='intoxicated662']Digital content loses, period. Just check back for the halo 2 fiasco with the games dlc and such. You can't go back and download old Xbox content anymore so if that worries/bothers you, then get a physical copy. I'm an adult gamer and have experienced all of this myself.

Back on topic, you're better off waiting for a sale on the physical copy of the HD Collection unless of course, you don't care for Peacewalker.[/QUOTE]

I take it you don't go online and look at ROMS much. You can find a majority of Xbox live items through rom sites

Yes I do love my physical copies, but my modded xbox running all my ROMs is simply AMAZING. No need for my 100+ NES cartridges (although I kept my favorite games and go old school once in a while).

Likewise all the PS1 games I have ROMS for.

So I see your point, but there are ways to save your digital content which is a lot easier than saving a physical item. Backup and redundancy makes ROMs virtually eternal

People still play this-
252px-Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

Which is 15 years old.

I still play this-

525243_49519.jpg

Which is 27 years old. So buddy, you can kindly STFU and GTFO.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I take it you don't go online and look at ROMS much. You can find a majority of Xbox live items through rom sites

Yes I do love my physical copies, but my modded xbox running all my ROMs is simply AMAZING. No need for my 100+ NES cartridges (although I kept my favorite games and go old school once in a while).

Likewise all the PS1 games I have ROMS for.

So I see your point, but there are ways to save your digital content which is a lot easier than saving a physical item. Backup and redundancy makes ROMs virtually eternal[/QUOTE]

Modded is the keyword. That's also the original xbox, not xbox 360. There are ways to save content legal and illegal. Technically, you could mod your Xbox 360 right now and do that stuff too but it is frowned upon. As for me, at the end of a console's life cycle count everything as a loss especially digital content. Upon a new console out, you won't be getting much for controllers or anything else.

By the way, in the Games On Demand description for MGS HD it describes both games only. They could add a disclaimer that it doesn't include Peacewalker, that would be helpful.

As long as you purchased the 360 content on the xbox your currently playing on (or did a license transfer to that xbox) you can play that game offline forever and/or as long as your 360 works.

The problem arises when your 360 dies and MS no longer supports the 360. You will be relying on MS to not only have full backwards compatibility but also the ability to re-download 360 content free of charge. I can actually either a) see Live prices going up again because of this or b) MS charging for re-downloading 360 content if they decide to let 360 content work on the next xbox. Imagine all the people downloading gigs and gigs of content onto their next xbox and all the old games MS has to keep server side? I just don't see MS being the king of freebees.

Either way it sucks in the long run because I'm sure even the 360S will start to break down. While the NES and SNES have more "classic" games I'm sure there will be a few games on the 360 I'd like to go back to again someday barring a HD facelift version on the next system. Alan Wake, Mass Effect and the Gears trilogy to name a few.

bread's done
Back