Metal Gear Solid

theq87

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Well, I finally caught up with the gaming world circa 1998 and beat the original Metal Gear Solid on ps1 tonight (though I was playing on a ps2).

My thoughts: Fantastic game, though I found the story more gripping than the actual gameplay. I had avoided this game until now because I SUCK at these stealth titles. It was basically just the strategy guide I recently acquired that enabled me to finish the game.

I played on normal, and yeah, it was really hard for me. Some of the boss battles I had to play OVER and OVER again. But, I feel like it was worth it despite the frustration; it's rare that a game really (for me, probably given the genres I usually dabble in, mostly RPGs) challenges me, but this did in a way that reminds me of the original DMC.

Anyway, the game was really hard, but I think part of the reason was because it attempted to make you think in ways that video games rarely challenge you to do. My "video game" training never told me that looking on the CD case for information was ever something to consider doing, for example. I think it was the things like that, and the Psycho Mantis controller trick that impressed me the most. But, again, I probably never would have thought of these solutions.

Anyway, I have MGS 2 substance that I'll probably start on before too long. This time, I hope to make it through without a guide. It could take years.

Congrats on beating that one- it took me a long time as well. While I'm here, I'm planning on picking up MGS:A and was wondering- now that I, too, am finally venturing through MGS2- about how long is this game just for a quick once-through just to get all of the story?

Congrats. I agree that the story line is really the most amazing part of the game. I didn't always love the gameplay of the first MGS, and its definitely dated by todays standards but it was great at the time just for the amount of things you could do to mess around with the guards. Move on to the next 2, the gameplay is even more solid and intuitive and the stories are pretty damn good as well.

EDIT: About MGS 2, it really depends on fast you play and how cautious you are. Also, I'm assuming you won't be skipping cutscenes the first time through, so I would guess it will take about 12 hours or so. This depends on if you click through codec conversations while reading them or wait for the voices to read them too, which I only do for the main ones.

I beat MGS 1 on PSone many times, but was never able to survive the torture scene without giving up. Even if you can beat that part, it's worth giving up to get the Otacon ending.

Thankfully, that part was made easier on Twin Snakes for GC. Either that or I was just better at rapid fire (thanks to Animal Crossing's car-wash minigame).

One thing about MGS that's nice, is that if you're floundering, you can get advice on the CODEC. That's how I learned how to beat Psycho Mantis.

Have fun with MGS 2. I really liked that, too. I'm only about 8 hours into Snake Eater, and have been waffling on continuing (got sucked into Devil May Cry 3).

Does anybody have any experience with MGS on Game Boy Color? I'm considering picking this up off ebay since I'm getting into the series and it received stellar reviews. Any thoughts on the game or its story?

I loved the first Metal Gear Solid. It still stands as one of my favorite games ever. It's in my top ten. MGS is just one game that should be in every gamer's collection and it's a game that can stand the test of time. MGS 2 was pretty good, minus the second half of it and some parts here and there, but it wasn't as good as the first. MGS 3 I hear brings back the series to it's MGS 1 glory days.

Oh and that part where Ocelot is torturing you and you have to continually rapid fire buttons was hard. I can't tell you the countless times that I retried that part back in the day. Psycho Mantis is one of my favorite video game villains ever.

I think that MGS is one series that is absolutely do able, in terms of making it into a good movie.

[quote name='theq87']Does anybody have any experience with MGS on Game Boy Color? I'm considering picking this up off ebay since I'm getting into the series and it received stellar reviews. Any thoughts on the game or its story?[/quote]

The story is nothing amazing. Probably the best story on the GBC, though. Definitely, the best gameplay on the GBC. One of the greatest portable games ever.

I thought they did a wonderful job on character design in Metal Gear Solid, but I didn't find the storyline itself all that entertaining. In fact, I can't remember much of the plot right now, but I can tick off the characters by name easily enough. :) I also thought that the boss fights were very well designed in MGS. Pair good characters with good boss fights and that was enough to tide me through the okay gameplay which I felt made up the rest of the game. While MGS2 wasn't a bad game, I considered it a bit of a letdown after MGS, since I felt that it wasn't as strong on either point.

MGS 1 was INSANSELY good, MGS 2 was great. Both are awesome games, although MGS 1 was better than 2. haven't had a chance to play 3 yet, don't have a ps2, but want to get one so I can play it. Also am looking forward to MGS:A.

I'm surprised that so many people struggled with the torture sequence. I found it quite easy, while pretty much EVERY OTHER part of the game was tough. Then again, I can do this thing where I flex my arm muscle until my hand shakes...makes fast button pressing quite easy. Too much info, I'm sure.

Anyway, can Ocelot really tell if you use rapidfire? Also, I completely screwed up the next part, where you're supposed to escape your cell. I both broke open the ketsup and crawled under the bed while the guard was looking. His reactions were priceless.

"Heh! What the HELL ya doin' playing with that ketsup?"
"What the HELL are you doing???"

[quote name='theq87']Does anybody have any experience with MGS on Game Boy Color? I'm considering picking this up off ebay since I'm getting into the series and it received stellar reviews. Any thoughts on the game or its story?[/quote]

I borrowed it from my work's game vault and played it on a trip once. It's very similar to the 8-bit Metal Gear -- which I wasn't too fond of, even though I had to do a strategy guide on it. Never thought enough of MGS on GBC to seek it out for my very own. However, if you were into the NES Metal Gear, go for it.

If you love MGS1 story just wait until you played snake eater. I hated MGS2 storyline. I just couldn't understand it but when I played Snake eater everything seems to click. :wink:

I'm surprised that so many people struggled with the torture sequence. I found it quite easy, while pretty much EVERY OTHER part of the game was tough. Then again, I can do this thing where I flex my arm muscle until my hand shakes...makes fast button pressing quite easy. Too much info, I'm sure.
That's EXACTLY what I do for games that require fast button pressing. My friends always think I'm a freak for doing it, but I'm unstoppable at games like Mario Party that use that type of gameplay.

bread's done
Back