Metalheads UNITE! (The Xevious edition)

Xevious

CAGiversary!
Couple things I wanted to throw out into the forum:

Best Metal Album of 2004: My vote goes to Mastodon's Leviation. Whats your opinion on what the best album of 2004?

Here is a killer mp3 from High on Fire upcoming album: http://66.235.201.198/audio/High_on_Fire_-_Devilution.mp3 This is some heavy shit!

And finally, this has been posted before (by Scorch) but some of you might of missed it. But here is a clip of Philip Anselmo talking about Dimebag
http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=21652

I haven't been listening to much of anything in 2004, but I just recently discovered Children of Bodom, and I like them alot.

Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Never imagined Mustaine still has that kind of music in him, or the ability to play so fast like in the good old days.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Never imagined Mustaine still has that kind of music in him, or the ability to play so fast like in the good old days.[/quote]

I used to listen to Megadeth alot when I was younger. I started to dislike them when the 5th album came out - I think its called "Countdown to extintion". Alot of their subsequent albums have been total crap.

I didnt know they had a new album though.

First, a couple of disclaimers. There are a couple releases I'm very interested in but haven't heard yet (Neurosis' latest, for starters). And I've got a terrible memory, so it's possible something worthwhile was released this year and I'm just not remembering the date right.

That said, it was a pretty miserable year for metal. Dissection's new material still stings when I think about it. In fact, it was such a wretched year that I'm tempted to give best of honors to Windir's retrospective or Nokturnal Mortum's re-released demo.

Then I think about how much fun Lordi - The Monsterican Dream was, and I feel too guilty to do it. Still, being catchy's not enough to pull a CD through as best of anything. And there were still a few good releases, like the aforementioned Leviathan, or Isis - Panopticon. Again, though, not stuff I'm comfortable calling the best of anything.

So I'm going to say to hell with it, take the easy way out, and give the nod to Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath.

Sometimes, consistency is the most you can hope for.

[quote name='Xevious'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Never imagined Mustaine still has that kind of music in him, or the ability to play so fast like in the good old days.[/quote]

I used to listen to Megadeth alot when I was younger. I started to dislike them when the 5th album came out - I think its called "Countdown to extintion". Alot of their subsequent albums have been total crap.

I didnt know they had a new album though.[/quote]

I just started to listening to Megadeth about a month ago and I really like them. I own Rust In Peace, Countdown to Extinction, and Youthanasia. I think Countdown is their best of the ones I own. I'd like to get System, but I want to get their older albums first. Dave Mustaine is awesome.

[quote name='Xevious'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Same here - I loved Rust in Peace but by the time Countdown came out it was just downhill from there - too much melodic singing and not enough heavy riffing. This explains my surprise at their latest CD - it sounds like a cross of their maniacal, raw riffing and soloing, blended with the production value and singing of their later albums. It sounds pretty close to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? since Chris Poland was on it too. I guess Mustaine wasn't holding anything back this time, since his illness took him away from the scene for a while, he even disbanded Megadeth during his illness.

Marty's latest solo album also rocks, although it's not really heavy metal. More of a straight rocker in the vein of Satriani, unlike anything he's done before.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='Xevious'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Megadeth - The System Has Failed

Same here - I loved Rust in Peace but by the time Countdown came out it was just downhill from there - too much melodic singing and not enough heavy riffing. This explains my surprise at their latest CD - it sounds like a cross of their maniacal, raw riffing and soloing, blended with the production value and singing of their later albums. It sounds pretty close to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? since Chris Poland was on it too. I guess Mustaine wasn't holding anything back this time, since his illness took him away from the scene for a while, he even disbanded Megadeth during his illness.

Marty's latest solo album also rocks, although it's not really heavy metal. More of a straight rocker in the vein of Satriani, unlike anything he's done before.[/quote]

Wow! 2 recommendations for the New Megadeth from this forum? I checked out the review on www.allmusic.com and the review was pretty good too. I'm shocked. I didnt know Mustaine had it in him anymore. Maybe I will go the store and pick it up. I lost faith in them awhile ago, maybe I give them another chance.

Some dissenting opinions.

Maybe see if you can find a sample before you invest in it; the love is far from universal.

Oh, and I remembered a few more things that came out this year, so I'm changing my vote to Anaal Nathrakh - Domine Non Es Dignus. It still wouldn't have made top 5 last year, but they've got a unique sound and they do it well. Plus, the intro is called "I Wish I Could Vomit Blood On You People." How could you not love it?

as far as i'm concerned, the three best metal albums of 2004 are "dove" by the band floor, then "trampled under hoof" by goatsnake, and finally "advance and vanquish" by 3 inches of blood. you could make an argument that the goatsnake reissue of their first cd and the "dog days" EP should be in that list, but i don't count that since i already owned both of those releases. the 3 inches of blood album totally surprised me, it was way better than i expected it to be. it's really fun.

i didn't get a chance to hear the new electric wizard or church of misery albums, though, so my top three may be a bit off.

i was actually very disappointed by the new mastodon cd. that first EP they put out ("lifesblood") was great, and "remission" was a very good album, but the new album barely even sounds like the same band. it's a pretty decent cd, and some of it a like a lot, but overall it's not nearly as good as what i expected.

[quote name='thatstoobad']

i didn't get a chance to hear the new electric wizard or church of misery albums, though, so my top three may be a bit off.

.[/quote]

I have the new Electric Wizard and its not great. I think its the worst album they put out. Dopethrone remains their best album to date.

Wasn't Judas Priest's new album supposed to come out in December???

Anyway, if you're a Megadeth fan like me, you will like TSHF quite a lot. It's not groundbreaking, but it rocks pretty good, and the songs are great live.

As for best metal album of 2004....hmm....I have Mastodon and it's good, but nothing really blew me away. Maybe I'm getting old. I just remember the years when every metal album I bought was great from Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Savatage, Metal Church, Voivod, Suicidal Tendencies.....now it's harder.

There's too much growling about Satan and his minions and not enough good songs.

When death/black metal rose to the top I started getting more into punk and alternative and, yes, old country.

I know there's good metal, it's just harder to find.

I started listening to internet radio when I couldn't pick up any radio stations in my office. I started listening to metal express radio. They play mostly European stuff, and I have heard a lot of stuff that I haven't heard before. I like Iced Earth, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Clawfinger, and Sinergy to name a few. I haven't heard much new stuff that came out this year to offer an opinion. It does sound like I should pick up the new Megadeth cd though.

[quote name='Stoneage']I just remember the years when every metal album I bought was great from Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Savatage, Metal Church, Voivod, Suicidal Tendencies.....now it's harder.
[/quote]

That sound like my Teenage years. I loved all those bands you've mentioned. Yeah, I understand what you are refering too. I have trouble finding good music now adays.

I know Judas Priest is releasing their new album next year; Supposely it going to be different than their previous efforts. Rob Halford said it has some relation to "Sad Wings of Destiny".

I also know that Trouble (Remember them?) is releasing their 7th album next year also.

I do recommend checking out High on Fire. They are a fantastic live act. Their albums are good but they are kinda underproduced. They have a new album coming out in February and its produced by Steve Albini (who made Nirvana's In Utero album). He's a good producer so hopefully he will do the band justice.

[quote name='Xevious']
I also know that Trouble (Remember them?) is releasing their 7th album next year also.

I do recommend checking out High on Fire. They are a fantastic live act. Their albums are good but they are kinda underproduced. They have a new album coming out in February and its produced by Steve Albini (who made Nirvana's In Utero album). He's a good producer so hopefully he will do the band justice.[/quote]

I know Trouble well...one of my favorite bands www.newtrouble.com
I've heard of HOF but I guess I'll check them out.

Welcome on the site; it's been an enormous help to me.

Anyway, agreed on the new Electric Wizard. I certainly don't hate it, but I never reach for it before Let Us Prey or Dopethrone. High on Fire are definitely worth checking out. They're not one of my favorites, but they're good and a lot of people seem to like them a lot more than I do.

You classic metal types really ought to check out Lordi.

I Need to get the Ozzfest edition of Comalies. And I cannot waith until 2005 for the Nymphetamine Special Edition. Cradle of Filth covers Mr. Crowley by Ozzy.

[quote name='ZarathosNY']I started listening to internet radio when I couldn't pick up any radio stations in my office. I started listening to metal express radio. They play mostly European stuff, and I have heard a lot of stuff that I haven't heard before. I like Iced Earth, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Clawfinger, and Sinergy to name a few. I haven't heard much new stuff that came out this year to offer an opinion. It does sound like I should pick up the new Megadeth cd though.[/quote]

What the name of this internet radio station?

[quote name='Xevious'][quote name='ZarathosNY']I started listening to internet radio when I couldn't pick up any radio stations in my office. I started listening to metal express radio. They play mostly European stuff, and I have heard a lot of stuff that I haven't heard before. I like Iced Earth, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Clawfinger, and Sinergy to name a few. I haven't heard much new stuff that came out this year to offer an opinion. It does sound like I should pick up the new Megadeth cd though.[/quote]

What the name of this internet radio station?[/quote]

Metal express radio. I listen through winamp. Their webpage is:

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/

bread's done
Back