Metallic Silver DS next month, Dual Touch Screen DS next year ?

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
Just caught wind that the DS will get a new shiny coat of metallic silver next month in the upcoming BestBuy ad and will probably grab it to complement my decor. However, those rumor-mongerers @ kotaku speculate the next revision of the DS will be a double-dipped touch screen phenom and may be even some widescreen support goodness. Depending on the price, Nintendo will be unstoppable for years to come ... IMO.

http://kotaku.com/5042290/rumor-next-dual-touch-ds-hitting-early-next-year

I'm doubtful about that design claim as I would think using the top screen as a touch screen would be awkward/uncomfortable. It will be interesting to see what they do come up with.

Does seem like it would be awkward. And if true it would have to be for the DS2 and not a redesign. No one would make dual touch screen games if it was just a redesign as they'd be locking out the millions and millions of people who had old DSs and/or DS Lites.

Nintendo has me pissed off enough with their shitty Wii strategy. If they expect me to buy a new DS next year after I just bought a Pokemon edition DS lite they can go fuck themselves(unless it hits next holiday season then I might be ok with it, but if they release it like spring, then I might not buy it).

I'm sure it's still a ways off. The DS is still selling like crazy, why announce anything too soon and slow down it's momentum? I'd say next holiday season at the very earliest. No need to rush at this point. And with dual touch screens it'd almost have to be a completely new system, not a redesign. I could see dual touch screens being useful in some games, not really in action games but I know there's been times in some slower paced games where both screens being touch screens would have been useful.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']However, those rumor-mongerers @ kotaku speculate the next revision of the DS will be a double-dipped touch screen phenom and may be even some widescreen support goodness.[/QUOTE]

fucking hell, people, stop making these fucking threads!

...Maybe it's just me, but this may be the dumbest DS rumor I've seen yet. I can't think of any real benefit that's accomplished by having two touch screens (especially if there still is the half inch plastic hinge between them), and has already been mentioned, if not handled correctly it'd be awkward to play.

I also don't buy the widescreen rumor, since it would require either reducing the amount of real estate not dedicated to the screen (reducing the amount of room you'd have for the buttons or to hold the system), or changing the system's shape significantly (and if it gets longer, I suspect the shift in weight could be enough to make holding the system with one and the stylus in the other much more difficult).

[quote name='spiwak']Well of course it'd be in the holiday season.[/QUOTE]

Traditionally, Nintendo has released their handhelds in the spring/summer.

[quote name='Renegade Moose']Traditionally, Nintendo has released their handhelds in the spring/summer.[/QUOTE]

The DS came out in November I believe (definitely fall 2004).

[quote name='dmaul1114']The DS came out in November I believe (definitely fall 2004).[/QUOTE]
With the exception of the Game Boy Color and the original DS, Nintendo has launched its handhelds in the Spring or Summer. I would say it is more likely to launch the next successor next Spring.

bread's done
Back