Metro 2033- 3/16/2010

slickkill77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
78 (100%)
metro-2033.jpg

• An RPG-light story where players encounter NPC’s via engaging and trading activities across the various ‘Station States’ of the Underground, each with its own social system.
  • A menacing atmosphere incorporating shadows, ambient sounds, lighting effects and claustrophobic scenes to create feeling of tension and fear.
  • Diversity of combat ranging from brutally intense action from a distance, to melee combat fought with improvised weapons or hand to hand in the half shadows.
  • A morality system based on points and measured by a proprietary engine that takes into account actions like curiosity, kindness and prejudice resistance, leading to alternative story endings.
  • Unique economy and inventory management systems based on ammunition and items which can be used to take down enemies or saved to purchase upgrades or buy goods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6pAvMqQm3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiz7aq0ppOE&feature=related

This game looks damn good. I'm surprised at the lack of love towards it.
First review 9/10
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=238823

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I wonder how true it is going to be based on the book.[/QUOTE]
I recall someone saying it follows pretty closely. I'll probably grab the book myself after the English version is released.

I'm getting it from Gamestop. They are selling it for $50 and I paid the game off using that recent trade in deal.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I wonder how true it is going to be based on the book.[/QUOTE]

Been waiting for the english version of the book to come out for awhile. Seems like it keeps getting delayed.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Been waiting for the english version of the book to come out for awhile. Seems like it keeps getting delayed.[/QUOTE]

It looks like it will be out right around the same time as the game. Although I am not sure why, I doubt that will push the sales much.

[quote name='timesplitt']hows the book? (if in English!) when is expected to be in English![/QUOTE]

It's an awesome book IMHO. I'd say if you can get a copy of it before hand, def read it. I'm glad to hear that people are saying it's pretty close to the book. Looks like I'll pick it up come release day.

yeah i didnt know it was coming out on the 16th because i had it pre-ordered on amazon and said it would ship till the 22nd. i just checked today because my card got charged and sure enough its getting here tomorrow.

Weird question, I just rented this and the disc isn't reading... it's not my disc drive everything else works. I don't see anything anywhere about this, wonder if it's an isolated incident?

Got my copy today and no problems. I say bring it back and just tell them it doesn't work.

So far, It's amazing. I like having to check my wrist to see if I have enough air. That's just the first level lol. Can't wait to delve deeper into it

You know what's really cool. When you check your gas mask watch to see how much oxygen you have left, it tells you the actual time. Right now it says 7:51, I thought that was a really cool yet small feature. I hope this becomes the hit of 2010 but I doubt it. Also, Checking your objectives is cool :D

Had my dad pick up my copy from Gamestop on his way home from work, and they charged the full $59.99, so now I gotta drive down there tomorrow and get my $10 back. So if you preordered and haven't picked it up yet, make sure they give you the correct $49.99 price. Annoying too, since I did in store pickup on the website and the print out even says $49.99.

So does the 360 version have the same idiotic AI shown in the PC thread? I don't see why it wouldn't, but just asking.

The games damn cool just as Bioshock was. My only complaints so far: The character needs more weight. Way to floaty feeling ala Half Life 2. The characters themselves are cool but they should tell the story in a different way. I wish they would have used cut scenes as loading screens rather than telling you whats going on during a blank loading screen.

The lack of HUD is awesome I think. Makes the game that much more fun IMHO.

[quote name='slickkill77']The games damn cool just as Bioshock was. My only complaints so far: The character needs more weight. Way to floaty feeling ala Half Life 2. The characters themselves are cool but they should tell the story in a different way. I wish they would have used cut scenes as loading screens rather than telling you whats going on during a blank loading screen.[/QUOTE]

Read the book, you'll enjoy it even more so.

Let me clarify something. The floatiness is only when you are walking around stations without a gun.

Is the book out in English yet? Once I'm done with the game I want to play it over in Russian.

This game definitely suffers from polish issues which is unfortunate because this could have been a truly great game. About an hour in. Minor issues here and there and the uneven AI detract from an otherwise beautiful game overall. 8/10 so far

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slickkill77']This game definitely suffers from polish issues[/QUOTE]

Tracking down former Nazis? The formation of a new democracy? Pierogies that are too hot?

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Tracking down former Nazis? The formation of a new democracy? Pierogies that are too hot?[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!! Classic!!

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Tracking down former Nazis? The formation of a new democracy? Pierogies that are too hot?[/QUOTE]

That'd be Polish, not polish....

AI is way to inconsistent, gunplay is also inconsistent. I wish a more experienced developer had gotten this license. 4A's inexperience shows way to much. Clipping enemies. AI that can apparently spot you in the dark but only if they know your around.

How are the RPG elements? I'm not expecting a ton but is there about as much as say Borderlands with a fairly simple leveling system and equipment or is it all FPS?

I hadn't heard about this one at all but I saw it when grabbing Resonance of Fate today and it looked interesting.

There isn't much. You can trade guns in but that's about it. A better developer would have made this game grand. Unfortunately 4A was clearly out of their league

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Gamefly shipped me 2033 today. I'm definitely intrigued. Anyone beat it yet? How long is it?[/QUOTE]

on normal it took me about 9 hours to finish,though i did do some exploring since it has a really great look to it.

Wow. What a let down of a game. The end levels sucked big time. That combined with the shitty shooting and terrible AI really bring this game down.

[quote name='keithp']So does the 360 version have the same idiotic AI shown in the PC thread? I don't see why it wouldn't, but just asking.[/QUOTE]

The video I had posted in the PC forum was from the 360 version.

I played last night slightly intoxicated and realized upon entering a town I had somehow inadvertently switched to firing the military-grade ammo that is also the currency on the previous level.

Damn it, I had spent lots of time scouring the levels as I heard there were some useful items to be purchased later in the game. Hopefully it isn't a big deal and I can just revert to the beginning of a previous level (although I am unable to check if this is possible right now as I am at work).

This game went from decent to shit in one level.
The level with the blob things was probably the worst level I've played in a video game in a long time.
The ending was dumb and the last few levels were very frustrating. I wouldn't wish this game upon my worst enemy.

The immersion that the objectives clipboard and pumping flashlight creates is neat, but it's completely negated by the load screens after every "level". This game was a waste of a few good ideas.

bread's done
Back