Metroid Prime Trilogy is a Done Deal

AHHHH.... Looks like I shouldn't hold out hope that my backorder is going to arrive....

I had ordered it with in store pickup... got the pickup email. When my wife went to pick it up, they couldn't find it... and didn't have any more copies in the store. They told her to call back at the end of the week and they would try to find it. Of course they didn't find it, and the girl I talked to told me to call the 1800bestbuy number. After waiting on hold for 45 minutes, I explained the situtation to the rep and she agreed to order me one and have it shipped for free.... of course, it was on back order by that point.

Maybe Nintendo will be smart and make this the first title in their "Budget Wii" series and release it around the time that Metroid Other M comes out, then they can do Super Mario Galaxy 1 as another "Budget Wii" title when SMG 2 comes out. (I'm sure that would piss off lots of shovelware makers who won't have the price advantage anymore to move their turds...)

Happy I got one. I'm afraid to open it now though. It didn't print for too long and this came out of nowhere. There are going to be a lot of people looking for this game as time moves on.

I know Nintendo will re-release this with updated Wii MotionPlus controls for the Wii 2. Nintendo always re-releases their mega-hits on different systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eightiesguy']AHHHH.... Looks like I shouldn't hold out hope that my backorder is going to arrive....

I had ordered it with in store pickup... got the pickup email. When my wife went to pick it up, they couldn't find it... and didn't have any more copies in the store. They told her to call back at the end of the week and they would try to find it. Of course they didn't find it, and the girl I talked to told me to call the 1800bestbuy number. After waiting on hold for 45 minutes, I explained the situtation to the rep and she agreed to order me one and have it shipped for free.... of course, it was on back order by that point.[/QUOTE]

I know how tedious this is going to sound, but try calling some other local stores in the area to see if they have any copies (normally I'd say use the www.bestbuy.com, but MPT is gone from there). If one does, call 1-888-BEST-BUY to have your order switched to in-store pickup again for that store (because from the looks of things, it's the only way now). I'm telling you this after doing it myself because mine was backordered too.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']I think this is the first time a publisher has encouraged people to acquire the game through a used games retailer.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they've done this for a while already for older games and systems.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/retail/index.jsp#oldproduct

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised nobody seems to be mentioning this... Why would Nintendo cancel production except....... New Play Control! Metroid Prime and New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Yours only for the low low price of $30.... each. And then you can buy Metriod Prime 3 for a nice hearty $50 to complete your collection.

This is some BULLshit! I never should have expected it to go any lower than $20 though..Nintendo games are always high priced. Why the hell would they discontinue this? Bloody wankers!

[quote name='Shady Hombre']I know how tedious this is going to sound, but try calling some other local stores in the area to see if they have any copies (normally I'd say use the www.bestbuy.com, but MPT is gone from there). If one does, call 1-888-BEST-BUY to have your order switched to in-store pickup again for that store (because from the looks of things, it's the only way now). I'm telling you this after doing it myself because mine was backordered too.
[/QUOTE]

Problem is that the closest best buy is an hour from me (two are an hour).... the closest one that had one when I called the 1888bestbuy was a good two hours away. I want the game... but not bad enough to go on a 4 hour round trip to get it for $20

Well, at least they kept their word. I mean, it was advertised as a Collector's Edition.

I don't think they'll pull that big of a dick move and re-release them individually. I'm thinking they'll re-release the collection again, but in just standard packaging.

[quote name='eddie291']I'm thinking they'll re-release the collection again, but in just standard packaging.[/QUOTE]

This is almost guaranteed to happen.

[quote name='FroMann']Thats right Nintendo. Stop publishing good games and rather than sell a bunch for cheap.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about Nintendo sometimes...if one of their games dares drop in price, they'll stop printing it, rather then sell a bunch of copies for cheap.

Seriously, I got a Wii this year, and I only own two actual Nintendo games for it, because their current gen games rarely seem to drop below the $30 range. And none of these are new games, this is stuff that has been out for a year or two. I like having the Nintendo Club points for new games, but at this point I'm going to say screw it and start buying them used...a couple of Nintendo themed posters, cards, and trinkets hardly seem worth hundreds of dollars in savings I could be getting used.

Wow Metroid never does that well sales wise. Also Other m may or may not do well given its going back to the roots and the 2D genre seems to have some weight to it still.

I guess if this game starts selling in the $70+ range, I will be tempted to sell my (sealed) copy (that I picked up for $20). Looks like it is selling between the $35-$45 range on eBay now.

[quote name='voidedx']I guess if this game starts selling in the $70+ range, I will be tempted to sell my (sealed) copy (that I picked up for $20). Looks like it is selling between the $35-$45 range on eBay now.[/QUOTE]

thats not going to happen untill probably the next nintendo system comes out

What amazes me is that this Metroid Prime Trilogy with 3 games inside reached 20-30 dollars, while Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Galaxy and other first party Nintendo games are still 50 dollars.

[quote name='FroMann']What amazes me is that this Metroid Prime Trilogy with 3 games inside reached 20-30 dollars, while Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Galaxy and other first party Nintendo games are still 50 dollars.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly.

Hell, I paid more for the original Metroid Prime for the GC than I did for the Wii trilogy!

Wow, I guess I should pick up one of the few remaining copies at work tonight. I was gonna hold off, but not now.

I was in the same Best Buy on Saturday, and they had two copies of the Metroid Prime Triliogy (for $50). I was kindda P.O.'d since I got cheated out of a copy back around christmas. I half debated on talking to a manager about it, but since I had my son with me (with a dirty diaper.... "Daddy... I Pooped!"), I just decided to leave. When I got back home, I emailed Best Buy about the whole situation (Ordered online, got the email for instore pickup, couldn't find my copy, ordered one via the 1888bestbuy number, backordered and eventually canceled). The email I received back from best buy was exactly what I expected: "Sorry, we can't help you, you can try asking the manager to do an over ride."

In a million years I never would have thought this would work. I printed off the email from best buy and the original order email and told my wife to stop in and see if she could get it for $20. She called me on her way home from work and said she got the game for $20!!

bread's done
Back