Metroid Prime Trilogy - Out of Print (Thanks, Nintendo!)

Question, is Pikmin the kind of game you should play to play Pikmin 2 ... or are they more standalone? (Trying to decide if I should try and get a new play pikmin)

[quote name='Kaoz']Question, is Pikmin the kind of game you should play to play Pikmin 2 ... or are they more standalone? (Trying to decide if I should try and get a new play pikmin)[/QUOTE]

You can play Pikmin 2 standalone, but I think the first game leads into the second one really well. They are also slightly different because of how time really limits you in the first game while the second game removed that limitation and gives more room to explore at your own pace.

Even though many people prefer the second, I think owning both is worthwhile. We also haven't seen Pikmin 2 New Play Control and have no assurance it's coming... and one is better than none.

One thing I find odd is how many people think these discontinued titles are indicative of a possible "Player's Choice" or "Greatest Hits" lineup. Looking over the titles, they all either underperformed compared to expectations or were made obsolete by updates/expansions. In both cases, I can't understand why Nintendo would care enough to reintroduce the games under a different label when they (presumably) have more productive and profitable things to pursue.

That said, I hope I'm wrong. I still haven't bought my own copy of Wario Land Shake It, Excitebots, or Metroid Prime Trilogy and am interested in all three.

is it still too soon to make a Player's Choice game? Even the ones they listed as OOP still don't qualify since they really didn't sell well.

I mean they have never did one for the DS games, and Mario Kart DS is selling like hotcakes. Probably no way in hell will they make a Player's Choice for that title.

[quote name='ejamer']
One thing I find odd is how many people think these discontinued titles are indicative of a possible "Player's Choice" or "Greatest Hits" lineup. Looking over the titles, they all either underperformed compared to expectations or were made obsolete by updates/expansions. In both cases, I can't understand why Nintendo would care enough to reintroduce the games under a different label when they (presumably) have more productive and profitable things to pursue.[/QUOTE]

The "New Play Control" games are effectively players choice, going OOP means they probably only had one print run to begin with given the sales numbers. Nintendo announcing it is either a mistake or a hint to the more hardcore/cheap crowd to catchem while you can.

[quote name='foltzie']The "New Play Control" games are effectively players choice, going OOP means they probably only had one print run to begin with given the sales numbers. Nintendo announcing it is either a mistake or a hint to the more hardcore/cheap crowd to catchem while you can.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to take the glass is half full stance and say they are clearing out Pikmin to make room for Pikmin 2 on store shelves. :D

[quote name='ejamer']You can play Pikmin 2 standalone, but I think the first game leads into the second one really well. They are also slightly different because of how time really limits you in the first game while the second game removed that limitation and gives more room to explore at your own pace.

Even though many people prefer the second, I think owning both is worthwhile. We also haven't seen Pikmin 2 New Play Control and have no assurance it's coming... and one is better than none.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the time limit is what worries me about the first compared to the second, I'd get npc pikmin 2 if they released it. I just hate the idea of getting to the end of a game, and having to start over because I didn't do good enough earlier, or I run out of time.

I'm hoping we get a Pikmin Trilogy released like Metroid Trilogy, only we don't have to buy Pikmin 3 first and instead its initial release comes with the Collector's Edition package. :)

[quote name='ejamer']One thing I find odd is how many people think these discontinued titles are indicative of a possible "Player's Choice" or "Greatest Hits" lineup. Looking over the titles, they all either underperformed compared to expectations or were made obsolete by updates/expansions. In both cases, I can't understand why Nintendo would care enough to reintroduce the games under a different label when they (presumably) have more productive and profitable things to pursue.[/QUOTE]

This. Either way though, is anybody actually surprised they stopped making some of those? I mean, a good chunk of those are over a year old now and tend to not be seen in stores. Besides, Toys R Us even clearanced out many of those. Pretty sure they wouldn't clearance out Radiant Dawn for $10 if they were getting more. (BTW, you won't be finding it so don't try).

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm hoping we get a Pikmin Trilogy released like Metroid Trilogy, only we don't have to buy Pikmin 3 first and instead its initial release comes with the Collector's Edition package. :)[/QUOTE]
I think there's a damned good chance of something like this happening.

[quote name='lilboo']Why do Nintendo games go out of print? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

They probably only have a finite amount of resources at their production facilities with which to produce games. They would either have to increase capacity, which is very costly, or reallocate resources away from games that are either older, or are not selling very well, and towards new titles, or games that do continue to sell well i.e. Smash Brothers, Mario Galaxy, etc. What surprises me however is that the original Wii Fit went out of print. I don't think it was ever sold game only, so I guess if they decided to stop production of the bundle with the balance board, so they could continue to produce the bundle with Wii Fit Plus, that might make sense, but still.

Oh yay... Just got this email from Best Buy:

Dear MICHAEL,

Thank you for your interest in Wii-Metroid Prime Trilogy on BestBuy.com. Your order is currently on backorder; and unfortunately, we will not be receiving more product. As a result your order will be canceled.
Please note that while your credit card hasn't been charged for the item(s), the authorization for funds may still reserve available account funds. Authorizations for funds generally expire after 7 days, but some credit cards may keep them open for a full billing cycle. Please contact your credit card company with questions you may have on their process.
If you used a Best Buy gift card for this order and no longer have it, please call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) and we will send you a replacement.
We are sorry for this and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com,

The Customer Care Team

This sucks :(

[quote name='Kaoz']Yeah, the time limit is what worries me about the first compared to the second, I'd get npc pikmin 2 if they released it. I just hate the idea of getting to the end of a game, and having to start over because I didn't do good enough earlier, or I run out of time.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure in the NPC Pikmin, you can restart from any day. So you wouldn't have to start completely over.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm pretty sure in the NPC Pikmin, you can restart from any day. So you wouldn't have to start completely over.[/QUOTE]

This is true.

[quote name='List of games going away']
* Battalion Wars ii
* Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
* Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
* Endless Ocean
* Excitebots: Trick Racing
* Excite Truck
* Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
* Mario Strikers Charged
* Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
* Metroid Prime Trilogy
* New Play Control! Pikmin
* Wario Land: Shake It!
* Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
* Wii Fit
* Wii Music[/QUOTE]
Nintendo could make a sweet $20 line of games for Wii. Pack them in either half height DVD cases, half height and half thickness DVD cases, or slimline DVD cases. The first two could even not have the "green" BS. Covers would be cheaper. Cases would be cheaper. Shipping would be cheaper. Cases would take less shelf space and play to the slow and steady game sales Nintendo likes to see.
[quote name='Awesome Wii $20 Game']
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Endless Ocean
Wii Chess
Wii Fit Plus
Wii Music
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort[/QUOTE]
Those games combined with updates and everything come to under 4.7 GB - They fit on a normal, cheap Wii disc. Even with a new menu on the disc and system updates / channels they would fit.

What would this do for Nintendo?

• Cheap to produce
  • Very little additional work required - Nintendo loves repackaging
  • Push the Wii Motion+
  • Possibly lower profits :whistle2:( - Wii Play, WSR, and Fit+ are all packaged with additional hardware in some cases.
If this package was $20, it would work wonders for third parties and Nintendo. Sure, you don't have to get a M+ or Balance Board, but you need it for WSR/Wii Fit+. Make sure the audience knows you need M+ for that game, available seperately for $19.99! These games encourage you to buy more peripherals.

From what I understand M+ isn't selling amazingly. This would help improve install rates very much and encourage developers to give Motion + a shot.

Similar:

• ExiteTruck
  • ExciteBots
  • Excitebike: World Rally
  • Excitebike
  • Excitebike 64
This is Nintendo. If they can't figure out to profit from their old games, they are idiots. Oh wait. What is so terribly bad about a cost-cutting budget line of games, Nintendo?

And for some games, a straight up cheap reprint would be fine. How much money would they really lose on a half height and width white DVD case with no manual?

2960odd

[quote name='Doomed']

[/QUOTE]

Your post is terrible. Do you really not understand how those suggestions are terrible ideas for Nintendo?

Why doesn't Nintendo like re-releasing games at a budget price? It devalues the games, the brands, and Nintendo's image. Just because they could do it doesn't mean it's a good business idea (although purely from a consumer viewpoint, I'd be thrilled if this happened). Also, some of the titles you are listing were already released at a budget price ($30 or less) previously - so re-releasing them probably won't spur too many sales.

As for the mega-compilation games you are talking about... take your head out of your ass. The Wii _____ disc looks great - but why sell everything combined when you can sell them separately? More importantly, why sell something that will make it so that people don't need to come back for more later. Nintendo would be totally shooting current and future sales of all games (from themselves, and other publishers) in the foot with something like this. Again, great idea for consumers... but totally impractical and never going to happen.

Seriously, if this crap is the best you have to add to the discussion then maybe you should go troll the 360 threads instead.

Zack & Wiki is still available at many retailers (new) for under $20. Re-release the game, adding thousands of extra copies of an already neglected property to the market? That would be a dumb decision.

Doomed, they're being discontinued in the first place because they take up shelf space. Stores won't carry them. Throwing more games onto the shelves isn't the answer.

/\ The games are not all sold out in stores its just they are at the bottom shelf behind the galss case, with all the games stacked sideways that you are not going to take the time to read. Nintendo doesnt want theirs down there with the latest horse trainer, or purple pansy party game.

[quote name='Doomed']From what I understand M+ isn't selling amazingly. This would help improve install rates very much and encourage developers to give Motion + a shot.[/QUOTE]

It's not definitive, but amazon's top selling video game items for 2009 has the WM+ add-on in 3rd place for all of 2009, better selling then any game on any system, and only behind the Wii itself and the Remote. At least at amazon, the WM+ seems to have been a big seller. Let alone Wii Sports Resort, which includes one, which is in 7th place, only behind NSMBWii and Wii Fit Plus Bundle (this is overall, for all systems.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2009/videogames/ref=zg_bs_cal

I would, though, love to know how it sold overall across all sellers.

There are over 3 million M+ devices in homes in the US just through WSR. I imagine one could another million or two from Tiger Woods/standalone/black remote sales. That's pretty healthy.

Of course, since most developers won't bother with the balance board with 8-10 million sold, one shouldn't expect numbers to mean anything.

[quote name='willardhaven']Wario Ware, Mario Strikers and Metroid should stay in print. These are games that will sell until the Wii dies.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I can't agree about Metroid. I don't have sales numbers on hand but the fact that it dropped to $20 for a week at Best Buy while few (if any) first party Nintendo games had a similar drop is a pretty damning statement about its sales.

And yes, I realize how fucked up that is.

I just finished Prime last night, awesome game. (I bought it for GC but couldn't get into it with that control scheme, didn't like it.) Will probably play a different game now, then do Prime 2 right after it. Loved it from start to finish. I know Prime is considered the best of the three, which does everyone else prefer of the other two though, Echoes or Corruption.

I found
Omega Pirate ... I think that was his name anyway, to be the hardest boss. Was surprised that I didn't have any trouble at all with Ridley or Metroid Prime.

[quote name='ejamer']Why doesn't Nintendo like re-releasing games at a budget price? It devalues the games, the brands, and Nintendo's image. Just because they could do it doesn't mean it's a good business idea (although purely from a consumer viewpoint, I'd be thrilled if this happened). Also, some of the titles you are listing were already released at a budget price ($30 or less) previously - so re-releasing them probably won't spur too many sales.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, it's some of that new fangled business philosophy! You know, the stuff where you no longer have a Player's Choice line of games like you did in the 90s because it's all about corporate image and never dissing your older product by making it cheaper! We all know that putting Super Mario 64 into the Player's Choice line didn't sell any copies whatsoever!

*looks at my own personal copy of SM64 with Player's Choice labeling*

OH WAIT.

Seriously. This new business philosophy of "it's bad for our image to ever lower prices" needs to stop.

Anyway, I picked up my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy today. I didn't really like the first one when I rented it years ago, but I figured I'd give it a shot since it won't be getting any easier to find, and it won't be getting any cheaper. I got up to the timed evacuation part of the first game, didn't evacuate in time because I wasted so much damn time looking for stuff to scan just so I could operate an elevator, and when I restarted, I found that I restarted from the very beginning of the game. Unskippable opening cutscene and all.

Already I am not having a good time.

Either there are no save areas before the evacuation or I missed them while I was rushing to get the hell out of the place.

I am also not that big of a fan of the aiming and rotation controls. Time Crisis 4's home "light gun FPS" mode is superior to this aiming and moving catastrophe. I don't see why I should have to move my crosshairs to the right side of the screen, overshoot my target every time, and then move them back to the left just so I can shoot them. Yeah, I know about lock-on, but screw that.

On top of all that, the "limited edition metal packaging" tore up the manual, so now I have a piece of garbage instead of a high class package. At least that fold-out history paper smells like baseball cards from the 90s. That's the best part of the game for me so far.

EDIT:

[quote name='ejamer']As for the mega-compilation games you are talking about... take your head out of your ass. The Wii _____ disc looks great - but why sell everything combined when you can sell them separately? More importantly, why sell something that will make it so that people don't need to come back for more later. Nintendo would be totally shooting current and future sales of all games (from themselves, and other publishers) in the foot with something like this. Again, great idea for consumers... but totally impractical and never going to happen.[/QUOTE]

This pissed me off, too. You know what the greatest Nintendo memory I have is? Super Mario All Stars. Hot damn, that was the Mecca of video gaming for me in the early to mid 90s. It totally elevated Nintendo in my eyes, and that cartridge alone kept me coming back for more in the future.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I don't see why I should have to move my crosshairs to the right side of the screen, overshoot my target every time, and then move them back to the left just so I can shoot them. Yeah, I know about lock-on, but screw that.[/QUOTE]
Let me get this straight. You "don't see why" you have to do something and then immediately state why you don't have to do it?

[quote name='Zing']Let me get this straight. You "don't see why" you have to do something and then immediately state why you don't have to do it?[/QUOTE]
I'm saying that I shouldn't have to overshoot in the first place. A second analog stick controlling rotation and vertical view while your pointer moves the crosshairs would eliminate this problem, and that's exactly what Time Crisis 4 does.

If you're not being a wuss, Time Crisis 4 does one better by being as close to an actual light gun as can be when you disable the crosshairs in that game while still being accurate as you look down the gun's sights. On the Wii, there's nothing like that to my knowledge. All shooters are glorified move the cursor games.

Wait, are you saying that you have to move the Wiimote pointer to the edge of the screen just to turn left and right?

Heh. Haha. Ahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

Wait. Seriously? I just read the manual PDF.

AHahahahaha!

And people said the controls were better than the Gamecube?

Did you just compare a light gun game to an FPA (first-person adventure)? And did you just suggest having two analog sticks AND a pointer?

FYI, House of the Dead Overkill allows you to remove the crosshairs.

[quote name='Zing']Wait, are you saying that you have to move the Wiimote pointer to the edge of the screen just to turn left and right?

Heh. Haha. Ahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

Wait. Seriously? I just read the manual PDF.

AHahahahaha!

And people said the controls were better than the Gamecube?[/QUOTE]

Not even to the edge of the screen. A certain distance to the left or right, and it turns slowly. All the way to the edge, and you turn quickly.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Did you just compare a light gun game to an FPA (first-person adventure)? And did you just suggest having two analog sticks AND a pointer?[/quote]

Oh hell yeah. Light gun FPS mode in Time Crisis 4 is pure underrated bliss. It's awesome. It's not just a light gun game.

FYI, House of the Dead Overkill allows you to remove the crosshairs.

But can you look down the Wiimote as if you were looking down its sights and aim accurately? You can with Time Crisis 4.

[quote name='Chuplayer']
But can you look down the Wiimote as if you were looking down its sights and aim accurately? You can with Time Crisis 4.[/QUOTE]

Some (but not all) games let you calibrate the remote so that you can look down the sights. Of course that makes sense if you are going to remove the cursor marker... otherwise it would be a blind guessing game.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Did you just compare a light gun game to an FPA (first-person adventure)? And did you just suggest having two analog sticks AND a pointer?[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, it would totally not be awkward at all! It's not like we need room on the wiimote for buttons, lets add an analog stick there.

Wii shooters are either something you like or you don't. If you can't turn without overshooting your target then you just aren't good at it. I have no problems with it at all, just because you can't do it does not mean the control input is at fault. That would be like me blaming 90% of fighting games for the fact that I can't do their combos. If only the controls would work, it has nothing at all to do with me not taking the time to get good at doing them.

[quote name='Kaoz']Yeah man, it would totally not be awkward at all! It's not like we need room on the wiimote for buttons, lets add an analog stick there.

Wii shooters are either something you like or you don't. If you can't turn without overshooting your target then you just aren't good at it. I have no problems with it at all, just because you can't do it does not mean the control input is at fault. That would be like me blaming 90% of fighting games for the fact that I can't do their combos. If only the controls would work, it has nothing at all to do with me not taking the time to get good at doing them.[/QUOTE]

Whoa Whoa Whoa... I always blame the game when I get trounced in SSMB and SSF2.

Chup and Zing what the hell are you two talking about?

Its a very fluid way of controlling the game. its called Strafe and it works wonders.

You're....actually trying to aim down the controller....physically?

This is worse than when you physically put the Zapper on the screen back in the Duck Hunt days.

Isn't the light sensor and the infrared senser work on two extremely different ways?

Just thinking that eyeing down the wiimote and still able to shoot is completely impossible and retarded.

Just to note: This thread, and the Wii Netflix went full retard. [quote name='Kirk Lazarus']Everybody knows you never go full retard.[/quote]

[quote name='xycury']Isn't the light sensor and the infrared senser work on two extremely different ways?

Just thinking that eyeing down the wiimote and still able to shoot is completely impossible and retarded.[/QUOTE]

Infrared light is light. The PS3 Guncon 3 technology isn't too much different from the Wii technology.

Anyway, I'm not trying to look down the Wiimote as if it were a gun on any games. I'm just saying that you should be able to do so. Apparently you can in a few games, but my point is that every game should have that functionality. Plus, the dual analog on the Guncon 3 kicks so much ass, the Wii should have it, too.

[quote name='xycury']Isn't the light sensor and the infrared senser work on two extremely different ways? [/quote]

Yes, you are right. Different technology, different limitations and functionality.

Just thinking that eyeing down the wiimote and still able to shoot is completely impossible and retarded.

However, I disagree here.

If you have (for example) the Perfect Shot pistol attachment, you might want to use it like a "real" pistol, and aim down the barrel towards your targets just like playing House of the Dead in a real arcarde. That isn't a bad idea, and isn't impossible either.

The trick is all in calibration. As long as the game knows where the "right" IR source positions are for each corner of the screen, it's easy enough to calculate where the remote is pointing while playing. Some on-rails games allow you to turn off the on-screen cursor and calibrate your remote in just this fashion, but I can't recall exactly which do/don't.

Most of the time this doesn't really matter for gameplay though and isn't taken into account. It's just a nice bonus for on-rails games that expect you to be using a gun accessory.

Just kinda randomly jumping in here , since we seem to have like 3-5 different conversations going on in this same thread.

With the games that are going out of print , I find it interesting about Warioland. I was just at Best Buy today and they had a ton of copies of the game , and they were marked down from $50 to $20. According to the price cards posted , the price change only went into effect less than a month ago. Not only that , I went to Target as well and they had the copies clearance priced at $25. This seems to support the discontinuation as stores seem to be trying to dump inventory. Oddly enough Target also had Metroid but it was still priced at $50. As far as the rest of the games going OOP , I have most of them , but the ones I don't:
Battalion Wars 2 - Have been trying to get it recently.
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast - Despite hearing it sucked , I figured I would pick it up (on the cheap) just for novelty's sake.
Wii Fit - Unnecessary now that Wii Fit Plus is out.
Wii Music - Same as Barrel Blast , sucks but would get it for novelty.

Moving on to Metroid Prime Trilogy , I have to admit , I'm not completely sold on the new play control style for the game. It's weird , when I originally played the first game on the :gc: I had no problem using the control scheme for the game , but I had a hard time just completing through the insect core boss where you get the missles. I don't know if it's because I just haven't gotten used to the control style yet , or if subconsciously I'm just so used to the old style that I can't adapt (despite it being years since I last played the game). Maybe a bit of both. To throw a wrench into the whole thing though , I've played through The Conduit , which uses a similar control style and had no real issues with that game. Originally I had planned to sell off my copies of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 since I have them in the bundle , but now I'm thinking that maybe I won't.

[quote name='Strell']Wow. This thread just got a million times more stupid than it already was.[/QUOTE]

Just at the moment you posted. Coincidence? :applause:

[quote name='Strell']Naw. The moment I posted, the thread got much more well endowed.[/QUOTE]

and infected, as per the John Holmes law...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='david12795']woo got 2 copies of Metroid prime trilogy for $15 at FYE[/QUOTE]

How? Used, coupon, rebate?

bread's done
Back