MGS HD Collection (360 only) 39.99 @ Toysrus, Free shipping

Im not 100% but I don't believe TRU offers any type of release date delivery; in fact those who have gotten in on other preorder deals at TRU (FIFA 12 for exampe) have complained that their games aren't even shipped (leaving the warehouse) until days after the release date.

Good deal. I've seen videos of gameplay and it looks like something I'd enjoy, and I'm excited that it's now available for the Xbox, but I've never been able to break past this psychological barrier that tells me it makes no sense to spend money on remakes of old stuff (whether video games or movies). I don't know why. The subconscious in me tells me it's wrong even if the rational part says do it.

[quote name='CoruptAI125']I'm assuming it's an error on their part.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yea I just checked the prices on other sites and they're all $49.99.

[quote name='Shady Hombre']Either that or they know the PS3 version will sell more[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's a sound argument.
I know if I had one thing that I expected to sell well, I would lower the price of a similar item to possibly eat into the profits of the first item. :whistle2:k

That's a good price. I wouldn't preorder from TRU though. They're were many people who didn't get their games until a week after release. That's just stupid. However, I have this pre ordered at Best Buy, but I can wait for a lower price.

if anything, id rather buy this for the PS Vita. assuming these will be released for the system of course. i played MGS on the PSP Go. my god i couldnt stop playing. and it just felt good to play such a high quality game on a handheld. now MGS4... i dont have a PS3, but it seems like a game that deserves to be played on a big TV and not on a puny handheld. if MGS4 is ported to the VITA i wouldnt buy it..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dv8mad']Agreed. It's a sound argument.
I know if I had one thing that I expected to sell well, I would lower the price of a similar item to possibly eat into the profits of the first item. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Yup, most Xbox 360 owners would buy Splinter Cell HD Collection more than PS3 owners if Splinter Cell HD Collection was released now instead of before. While PS3 owners will buy Metal Gear Solid HD Collection more than Xbox 360 owners.

Makes sense to me to lower the price on the version that won't sell as much.

I'm not sure if I should pick this collection up or not. I tried playing the MGS remake on Gamecube. Played it for about 90 minutes before calling it quits. I also tried playing MGS2(maybe??) on Xbox. Gave up on that game rather quickly as well.

I really feel like I need to play the MGS games since they are so popular. I'm a big achievement ho on 360. Maybe cheevos will finally get me to play and finish an MGS game.

I might just wait until I can get the collection for $30 or so.

[quote name='nightmareboosta']i refuse to play mgs with 360 controls, horrible![/quote]

really!?!?!?! Tell us why; we're all here and listening

[quote name='NightmareBOOSTA']I refuse to play MGS with 360 controls, horrible![/QUOTE]
So you refuse to play it with good controls, awesome

[quote name='NightmareBOOSTA']I refuse to play MGS with 360 controls, horrible![/QUOTE]

Could be worse. Imagine playing it with just Kinect.

Wouldn't the 360 controls be the same as PS3 controls... same general button layout...

I'm waiting for reviews on these. It'd be nice to have them but these are period pieces, games you MUST play simply because they are obligatory. Whether they are worth the money depends entirely on how nice the ports are. If we don't even get the MGS2 Snake Tales and VR missions and boss rush or the MGS3 Boss Battle Select and classic MGs and those wacky movies and SOME way of alleviating the stupid, stupid MH style farming of Peace Walker then I don't see how they're worth redipping for.

Really, I spent more time running boss rush in MGS2 than anything else (Well, except groaning in exasperation in the cutscenes). Those lousy controls added to the tension of the quality boss fights to make me just enjoy playing them.

Actually, the controls will probably make a difference.

Examples: aiming your gun and firing your gun depended on the pressure applied to the Square button. Interrogating a soldier or slitting his throat depended on how hard you pressed the Triangle button. Little things like that, shouldn't bother too much, but even so..

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm waiting for reviews on these. It'd be nice to have them but these are period pieces, games you MUST play simply because they are obligatory. Whether they are worth the money depends entirely on how nice the ports are. If we don't even get the MGS2 Snake Tales and VR missions and boss rush or the MGS3 Boss Battle Select and classic MGs and those wacky movies and SOME way of alleviating the stupid, stupid MH style farming of Peace Walker then I don't see how they're worth redipping for.

Really, I spent more time running boss rush in MGS2 than anything else (Well, except groaning in exasperation in the cutscenes). Those lousy controls added to the tension of the quality boss fights to make me just enjoy playing them.[/QUOTE]

Just to be the antithesis of your not-so-subtle negativity, I am pumped. And I love the awesome cut scenes. And these games hold up. And the controls worked well, both then and now. :)

And this is a good deal for those willing to wait for the shipping. And and and

Yeah, I'm super excited for this as well mostly because I missed Peacewalker. Bought my friend's old PSP off of him just to play it. Was only $20 for Peacewalker on sale and $20 for the PSP. Didn't realize he had a launch memory stick though and have had Peacewalker and the PSP sitting there ever since. Dumb/silly move on my part.

So yeah, bring on Peacewalker!

[quote name='badramen']And the controls worked well, both then and now. :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because having to hold like four buttons to lean out of cover and shoot was SO AWESOME. ;)

I'm just saying, stuff like the Splinter Cell HD collection has been not worth the money before due to poor support for the extras. The MGS collection definitely hinges on that.

Well, that and these are games I enjoyed the first time and after beating them look back on with disgust.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm waiting for reviews on these. It'd be nice to have them but these are period pieces, games you MUST play simply because they are obligatory. Whether they are worth the money depends entirely on how nice the ports are. If we don't even get the MGS2 Snake Tales and VR missions and boss rush or the MGS3 Boss Battle Select and classic MGs and those wacky movies and SOME way of alleviating the stupid, stupid MH style farming of Peace Walker then I don't see how they're worth redipping for.

Really, I spent more time running boss rush in MGS2 than anything else (Well, except groaning in exasperation in the cutscenes). Those lousy controls added to the tension of the quality boss fights to make me just enjoy playing them.[/QUOTE]
They've been confirmed to be the Substance and Subsistence versions of MGS2 and 3, and the original 8-bit MG games are included, so I would imagine Snake Tales and the other stuff are as well.

I'll appreciate the high res and 60 frame on mgs3. I'm a big mgs nerd for I'll get it

As an experienced cag, you don't buy any remastered or hd collections of older gen games at full price. Give a couple weeks and you'll find a deal just like the one for Ico collection and gow psp collection for 15 bucks at BB using their gamer coupon

Yeah because the 15 year old ps3 controls are sooo amazing. :roll:

[quote name='Mad dog']Why does this not include #1 and #4? This is a no buy for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why part 1 wasn't included but part 4 takes up an entire dual layer blu ray disc which is bout 50 gigs on ps3 due to all the cg and voiced dialogue. I don't think konami could edit enough of the game to fit on less then 10 dvds for the xbox 360

[quote name='unclenebber']Yeah because the 15 year old ps3 controls are sooo amazing. :roll:[/QUOTE]I don't see a problem with someone preferring to stick to the classic PS controller when playing a classic PS game..

I'd imagine part 1 wasn't included because well, it probably wouldn't look very good with an HD coat.

Damn you Konami. I MUST RESIST paying for these crummy games another time.
I'm still unsure about your feelings on the MGS games, maybe you can post about it 3 MORE times to clarify?

lol when I see a series collection that doesn't include its best game I have to decline purchase. Seriously, MGS is the best game in the series IMHO and its omission is sad. I know it has "crappy" graphics by today's standards but as a past MGS fan I wish it would have been included. As it stands I haven't played an MGS game since MGS 3 which I enjoyed but wasn't a favorite. I think I will be skipping this "collection" and keeping my PS2 MGS Essential Collection set if I ever get to the urge to play those games again.

[quote name='Mad dog']Why does this not include #1 and #4? This is a no buy for me.[/QUOTE]
1 was just too old and archaic to add and 4 you can get for 15 bucks now new

I have 3 different copies of Snake Eater for PS2 (Original, Subsistence and the copy that came in the Essential Collection.) Including HD and once Snake Eater comes out for 3DS, I imagine I'll have 5 different copies/versions of the game....

But Big Boss is such a fucking badass :bow:

[quote name='malethief']I'm not sure why part 1 wasn't included but part 4 takes up an entire dual layer blu ray disc which is bout 50 gigs on ps3 due to all the cg and voiced dialogue. I don't think konami could edit enough of the game to fit on less then 10 dvds for the xbox 360[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has the rights to #1 from the GC remake. At least, that's what I keep getting told.

4 only takes up such an obscene space because little to no compression was done where it could have been. It was Konami being silly, but I suppose they did have the space for such forced inefficiency. I seriously doubt that it couldn't be reasonably ported to the 360 if they wanted to do it. But it could also lead to some confusion from consumers who already own #4. Perhaps Sony has some stake in #4 staying exclusive, too.

[quote name='ChaosLaw']4 only takes up such an obscene space because little to no compression was done where it could have been. It was Konami being silly, but I suppose they did have the space for such forced inefficiency. I seriously doubt that it couldn't be reasonably ported to the 360 if they wanted to do it. But it could also lead to some confusion from consumers who already own #4. Perhaps Sony has some stake in #4 staying exclusive, too.[/QUOTE]
Being silly.. or avoiding increasing the already-long installation time? Decompressing several GB's of data can take a while.

[quote name='SaintAnger']Because it comes with a code to download MGS 1 from PSN.[/QUOTE]
I believe that only the Japanese version comes with a MGS1 code.

Im with u.playing msg with anything but a ps3 is just wrong

[quote name='TheodorusMajorus']Wouldn't the 360 controls be the same as PS3 controls... same general button layout...[/QUOTE]
The MGS games used pressure sensitive controls on the PS2 and I don't believe that the Xbox 360 has that capability (I could be wrong though). I use my 360 for most gaming but I'm DEFINITELY getting it on the PS3 for several reasons: controls that match the earlier versions, pressure sensitive controls, PS3 to PSP/Vita gameplay features, and all 3 games on one Blu-ray.

The 360 would be cool to play it on, but the PS3 features definitely pushed me in that direction.

bread's done
Back