MGS IV Midnight Launch Event in Hollywood BB

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://playstation.innovyx.net/v?xJnPHlnEHWHvnlvlTWJq

Location: Best Buy, West Hollywood 1015 N. La Brea Ave. West Hollywood, CA 90038
Date: June 11, 2008
Time: 11:45 P.M.

Guests:
David Hayter, the voice of the main character Solid Snake
Kenichiro Imaizumi, Senior Producer
Ryan Payton, Associate Producer
Yumi Kikuchi, real-life model for the game's fearsome enemies, the 'Beauties.'

Not sure if I'll go considering how these midnight events typically turn into a useless huge clusterfack and a waste of time. Plus Kojima won't be at this one and there's no indication of any decent free stuff (which would probably have been taken by the rabid fanboys who show up at 8am)

[quote name='thegarageband']You forgot to add the sausage fest factor.[/QUOTE]

well you'll be in west hollywood, so it'll be all good :). When in rome....

I'm planning on attending. I just wonder which of the two, the sleeve or the game, they're allowed to autograph. People who attended the UK launch reported that they weren't allowed to get their old games autographed only the sleeves, but seeing as this is a midnight launch for the game, I would think they'd let us sign the game.

01062008044.jpg

Edit: Nvm, looks like they will be signing the game :D

yup, if you want something signed, you'd better buy it there.

And it amuses me to no end that there will be no LE's there to purchase

Anyone here going? I'm seriously contemplating going up to San Francisco for the weekend. But this would be a lot closer.

You get Kojima if you go to the San Francisco launch. The LA launch has David Hayter, which is the only location he's scheduled to appear in. It's a toughie >,

Wow, no Kojima, that sucks. I figure there'd be hundreds of people there hours earlier too.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']You get Kojima if you go to the San Francisco launch. The LA launch has David Hayter, which is the only location he's scheduled to appear in. It's a toughie >,

[quote name='LeafPanda']Actually its the Saturday for us San Franciscans =P[/QUOTE]

probably better that way, you guys can actually get a limited edition game signed, and by kojima.
holding this event at a Best Buy is uselessness on top of a semi-useless event*

*unless you really really like david hayter or ryan payton, then all the more power to you.

But I mainly like to goto these things in hopes of something schwagworthy or collectorworthy or ebayworthy.

I guess they barely added Yumi to the list of guests, since the Bestbuy website only mention the first 3 people.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat153800050000&type=category

I wasn't planning on going with the price of gas & paying to park over there turned me off on the idea. Now that my friends offer to carpool and Yumi is going to be there, i might go after all:).

But how early should we go to guarantee a signing? And no i'm not going to spend all day there since i have to work in the morning.

wow i got luck then, i got kojima to sign all metal gear games for the ps2 and a poster at mgs3 opening at universal gamestop:cool:

I really want to go the event, but I don't get out of work until 10:30pm. Would that be to late to get in line to get the autographs?

haha I went to the Universal GS as well when he came to sign. Bad thing is he had already left Y_Y (came a little late) but he did pre-sign some copies of MGS3 and I managed to get 1 :D.

As far as what time to go I'm thinking that I should get there as early as 8 or 9 but I'm not quite sure how the lines will be by then. I hope BB's parking lot is big, cause I'd hate to go out and pay for parking (that's LA for you ), I just hope I get there early enough to avoid that.

Also is anyone here planning on buying the MGS4 bundle that night at the LA launch? I know Walmart is having this special deal when you buy the MGS4 bundle you get the $100 GC. What do you think are the chances that the Hollywood BB would price match that night given that they're probably busy ( I know its a long stretch >.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']You get Kojima if you go to the San Francisco launch. The LA launch has David Hayter, which is the only location he's scheduled to appear in. It's a toughie >,

[quote name='TahoeMax']Well, duh, if you're hardcore you'll go to both and get both Kojima and Hayter's sigs ;)[/quote]

If I do go to both launches I'd have to sell my blood to buy gas, seeing as gas is nearing $5 a gallon :cry: I don't think my cheapass will be willing lol

[quote name='Interstella 5555']If I do go to both launches I'd have to sell my blood to buy gas, seeing as gas is nearing $5 a gallon :cry: I don't think my cheapass will be willing lol[/quote]

Haha I know. I'm just kidding about that. Premium gas actually has been $5 at a couple places lately. My Tahoe prospects this year are limited. I need a full car to spread the cost out or it won't be worth the driving expenses.

Does anyone think those sleeves will be available at the Hollywood event? I would love to get my LE edition MGS4 signed, but seeing as how I can't be in two places at once, I wouldn't be able to pick up my LE from Gamestop and then rush over to Hollywood to get it signed.

Ah, the time when Kojima was at Universal, I wanted to go to that so bad, but I didn't know how to drive at the time. Now that I can, I don't know if I should considering there'll be way too many people.

[quote name='jling84']Does anyone think those sleeves will be available at the Hollywood event? I would love to get my LE edition MGS4 signed, but seeing as how I can't be in two places at once, I wouldn't be able to pick up my LE from Gamestop and then rush over to Hollywood to get it signed.[/quote]

From what I've been hearing you wouldn't be able to do that anyways, if there aren't sleeves it seems that they only allow MGS4 purchased at the best buy to be signed, nothing else...

[quote name='Interstella 5555']

01062008044.jpg

[/quote]

I'm always amazed at how young Kojima looks. What, was he 12 when he made the first MG game?

[quote name='ultrarobotninja']From what I've been hearing you wouldn't be able to do that anyways, if there aren't sleeves it seems that they only allow MGS4 purchased at the best buy to be signed, nothing else...[/quote]

I hope they give out sleeves to be signed. Cause I'm planning on buying the LE MGS4 from gamestop, I don't want to buy another game just to get it signed T_T

And Kojima does look pretty young for his age, he's 44 and he looks like he's in his mid-twenties or something lol.

Just curious, for those of you who are going what time are you planning on lining up? I want to bring my brother with me but he gets out of class at 9:45pm, Then drive from Irvine to LA. I don't know if thats too early or too late >.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']
Just curious, for those of you who are going what time are you planning on lining up? I want to bring my brother with me but he gets out of class at 9:45pm, Then drive from Irvine to LA. I don't know if thats too early or too late >.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I hope they give out sleeves to be signed. Cause I'm planning on buying the LE MGS4 from gamestop, I don't want to buy another game just to get it signed T_T

And Kojima does look pretty young for his age, he's 44 and he looks like he's in his mid-twenties or something lol.

I just called Best Buy. The girl on the phone said that:
- there are about 30 people already waiting in line (as of 5:30pm) EDIT: i guess jetstone (above post) has a better firsthand look at the situation
- they have about 300 copies of the game at that location
- autograph session will last from 11:45pm-1:30am.

So what do you guys think??? Is it safe to assume:
20 seconds per autograph: 105 min x 60 sec/min x 1 autograph/20 sec = 315 (all copies signed)
25 seconds per autograph: 105 min x 60 sec/min x 1 autograph/25 sec = 252
30 seconds per autograph: 105 min x 60 sec/min x 1 autograph/30 sec = 210

Best case is that the sign-and-greet won't last more than 20-25 seconds on average per person so that all copies of the game can be signed...

[quote name='scrapdawg02']I just called Best Buy. The girl on the phone said that:
- there are about 30 people already waiting in line (as of 5:30pm) EDIT: i guess jetstone (above post) has a better firsthand look at the situation
- they have about 300 copies of the game at that location
- autograph session will last from 11:45pm-1:30am.

So what do you guys think??? Is it safe to assume:
20 seconds per autograph: 105 min x 60 sec/min x 1 autograph/20 sec = 315 (all copies signed)
25 seconds per autograph: 105 min x 60 sec/min x 1 autograph/25 sec = 252
30 seconds per autograph: 105 min x 60 sec/min x 1 autograph/30 sec = 210

Best case is that the sign-and-greet won't last more than 20-25 seconds on average per person so that all copies of the game can be signed...[/quote]

I called over. I have my daughter, so I can't go get in line yet. I'm hoping to pick up the bundle and have a $500 gift card, so it needs to be BB. She said only 15 - 20 bundles, which can't possibly be right. Perhaps I'll have to drive out to Sherman Oaks instead.

When I first heard about this I was way excited, and my wife said that she would go with me. But as someone else has said, with the cost of actually getting there, I eventually decided to not go. Sounds fun though. Someone who goes, let us now how it turns out.

I guess i'd consider going if at 10 they only have 30 people there, but if there's 100, bleh
even if they do sign till 1:30, I got work tomorrow.

Actually.......... why would you go just for an autograph, FREE STUFF dammiet :D

[quote name='Zoglog']I guess i'd consider going if at 10 they only have 30 people there, but if there's 100, bleh
even if they do sign till 1:30, I got work tomorrow.

Actually.......... why would you go just for an autograph, FREE STUFF dammiet :D[/quote]
got there a little before 10, got locked out of the signing by probably 30 mins along one hundred or so angry fans. we were allowed to buy stuff but no signing, even thou some jerks that were locked out with me some how made their way into the signature line, I tried to be one of those jerks but I guess standing for 5 hours gave me -20% charisma because I couldn't talk my way in to the damn signature line.

[quote name='ultrarobotninja']got there a little before 10, got locked out of the signing by probably 30 mins along one hundred or so angry fans. we were allowed to buy stuff but no signing, even thou some jerks that were locked out with me some how made their way into the signature line, I tried to be one of those jerks but I guess standing for 5 hours gave me -20% charisma because I couldn't talk my way in to the damn signature line.[/QUOTE]

That sucks but not surprising though. I've noticed that pretty much all midnight launch parties are a inherent waste of time. Typically they only exist so that people will notice a line outside a store and even when they give out free schwag, it's for the crazy people that show up in the morning and wait all day. After the halo 3 launch in citywalk I decided to stop going to these things.

However, Microsoft's Zero Hour Launch party was fantastic, but then again it probably wasn't cheap. But it felt like a great event for fans to have fun rather than wait in line.

Well on the bright side, this game is quite fun :)

[quote name='ultrarobotninja']got there a little before 10, got locked out of the signing by probably 30 mins along one hundred or so angry fans. we were allowed to buy stuff but no signing, even thou some jerks that were locked out with me some how made their way into the signature line, I tried to be one of those jerks but I guess standing for 5 hours gave me -20% charisma because I couldn't talk my way in to the damn signature line.[/quote]

What a major disappointment, count me in as one of those angry fans. After reading what Jetstone and Scrapdawg said about how there were already people in line I quickly got ready and drove out to LA. When I got there around 9pm, there was probably more or less 150 people. I thought I was still in pretty good shape considering how big this launch was, so I waited in line. But as time went on (waited for 5 hours) more people started coming and were cutting in line, I imagine that added around 50 people to the line in front of me. BB's line management was non existent.

When I finally got to the door ready to get my stuff signed they announced that that the autograph signing was closed (I was the freakin' cut off point! They closed it at 1:30am) Of course I was furious and so was a lot of people beside me. I couldn't do anything from that point, I tried talking to the BB manager and to the man in charge of the MGS4 tour but with no success. I ended up not getting anything signed.

On the bright side I did get some free swag. I got a MGS4 poster, some dog tags, key chains, and t-shirts. So it wasn't a total loss. In the end though, I probably won't be doing this again, it was a huge waste of time.

Here's the cardboard poster they had right next to the entrance, basically had all the info of what was going on.

mgs4poster.jpg

There was a MGS4 party around the corner, it was only for VIPs though. I guess thats where the celebs will go afterwards.

mgs4party.jpg

Heres a small video of how the line looked at 9pm. It only grew bigger from that point. Sorry for the shaky camera, I was walking fast and felt awkward just filming everybody lol. I didn't get to film the rest of the people who are across the street, I know that it wrapped around the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NHBly73zs

[quote name='Interstella 5555'] I probably won't be doing this again, it was a huge waste of time. [/quote]

wise words, never go unless you're invited, otherwise you're just a marketing tool for them to have a large line.

funny though, my friend who worked on the PMC commercials got invited to the VIP launch section, but he said it was just ok.

dude guys, sorry to hear about the midnight launch fiasco... i ended up not going. ms. kikuchi wasn't even there! (she was mentioned as a guest in the sony email)

bread's done
Back