Microsoft buys Skype for $8.5 billion.

I pray that they don't change the pricing structure they have in place. I'm paying for SkypeIn and SkypeOut right now and it's fantastic.

Hopefully this doesn't change anything except add it to places like x-box live. I use skype for messanging, group chats, video chats, group calls and the service is amazing.

Microsoft buys Skype, plans to add support to Kinect and Xbox Live.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/microsoft-buys-skype-plans-to-add-support-to-kinect-and-xbox-li/

skypelogo.jpg

Next time Microsoft purchases a company, we know how it'll contact its new acquisition to begin negotiations. Microsoft just entered into an agreement to purchase Skype for "$8.5 billion in cash." There's good news involved, even if you're not a Skype investor: "Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and a wide array of Windows devices," Microsoft announced, "and Microsoft will connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities."

You won't be stuck exclusively using Skype with Kinect, either, as the company plans to continue supporting Skype clients on platforms other than its own (which means Microsoft is now in control of a PSP app). Microsoft did not provide a timeframe for the debut of these Xbox and Windows Phone services, but we'd be very surprised if there weren't a staged Skype call during Microsoft's E3 presentation next month.

i remember downloading skype for free a few years back, and now the shits selling for 8.5 billion wtf mans

Skype is on the PSP? But it doesn't have a camera, does it? In any case that's pretty funny. I have my doubts they'll put much effort into that client. Also, i'm worried they are going to let the Mac OS version slide too. And iOS, Android, etc. I'm sure they will "support it", but one wonders if that will be limited to bug fixes. I hope they don't do that. I am looking forward to Skype for Kinect.

you do realize that with this deal, it'll be way better now right? cross platform, ftw! if they make an app on 360 and u can call someone that is on a desktop, psp or whatever that itself is worth it. looks like they are going to implement new things and make it better, even with kinect. doesn't make sense for them to buy skype and just let it be the way it is. especially since there hasn't been an update for mac users in awhile among other platforms. overall, think it's a good deal and everyone wins.

[quote name='timesplitt']i remember downloading skype for free a few years back, and now the shits selling for 8.5 billion wtf mans[/QUOTE]

It's still free for internet calls (i.e. pc to pc--or smarthphones/tablets), but they charge for calls to actual phones, and (I think) for having a phone number assigned to your skype account so people can call you from a phone.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's still free for internet calls (i.e. pc to pc--or smarthphones/tablets), but they charge for calls to actual phones, and (I think) for having a phone number assigned to your skype account so people can call you from a phone.[/QUOTE]

Correct, but once they update the xbox 360 you'll have it made. If you wanna talk to someone who has a 360 i'm sure you can just call them from skype or maybe even video chat via live with it too. You can do that with a webcam already and even with Kinect...even using windows messenger. I just like the fact that it'll be coming to xbox 360 and looks like it'll have Kinect support. Now you know where your xbl gold $ subscription is going to :D

[quote name='intoxicated662']Correct, but once they update the xbox 360 you'll have it made. If you wanna talk to someone who has a 360 i'm sure you can just call them from skype or maybe even video chat via live with it too. You can do that with a webcam already and even with Kinect...even using windows messenger. I just like the fact that it'll be coming to xbox 360 and looks like it'll have Kinect support. Now you know where your xbl gold $ subscription is going to :D[/QUOTE]

I would actually want to know if Skype is replacing the voice chat currently in place?

Cross-chat with pc-gaming friends sounds awesome to me!

Just don't start charging for it Microsoft. That's a sure-fire way to kill your new purchase and ensure something alternative grows larger.

...would be nice if it also supported the Vision cam + headset or mic. No reason why they couldn't do it, but I'm not holding my breath.

bread's done
Back