Microsoft thanks Halo 2 players (free 3 months XBL, 400 points, Halo: Reach Beta)

RBH

CAGiversary!
With the impending discontinuation of the XBL service on the original Xbox, Microsoft has been sending out this e-mail to Halo 2 players apparently:

On April 15, 2010, we will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox games playable on Xbox v1 and Xbox 360. In our continuing efforts to evolve the service, we need to make changes to the LIVE service that are not compatible with original Xbox v1 games.

What does this change mean for you?
• It does not affect your ability to play original Xbox v1 games offline, but does remove LIVE connectivity and support for online multiplayer, leader boards, and other online features of these games.
• We realize that you are an avid Halo 2 fan. Unfortunately, with this change, you will not be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE going forward.
• Although it is difficult to say goodbye to Halo 2, the Halo franchise continues as the benchmark for multiplayer gaming in this generation with Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and soon Halo: Reach. On the Xbox 360, you will continue to have access to the LIVE service where you can enjoy hundreds of other LIVE-enabled games.

When will this change take effect?
• April 15, 2010.

What is Xbox LIVE doing for me?
• To thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE customer, we are giving you a free, three-month LIVE Gold membership and 400 Microsoft Points for you to use as you choose on Xbox LIVE.
• In addition, because you've been so loyal to Halo, we are inviting you to participate in the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

How do I get these offers?
• You will receive a token for 400 MS points. Check your Xbox LIVE account messages on the console. These points can be used for 365 days after you activate your token.
• We are extending your Gold membership by three months automatically. The extension will be directly reflected in your LIVE account.
• Finally, as the beta gets closer, you will receive an e-mail containing the code granting you access to the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

Thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE member. Please visit xbox.com/support if you have any questions or for more information.
The Xbox LIVE Team

Pretty nice gesture from MS.

Even if you haven't played Halo 2 in awhile, it's still worth checking your e-mail anyways for this since the message does point out "loyal Xbox Live" members.

I'm just wondering if this is something they'll do to anyone that played Halo 2 ever, or just recently in the last 6-12 months.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm just wondering if this is something they'll do to anyone that played Halo 2 ever, or just recently in the last 6-12 months.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine it was for people who had kept playing through the last year or so. I'm sure many people have been jumping back online and I plan to for the last night.

This is a nice gesture from Microsoft.

Ah, so M$ has been keeping tabs on what games you've been playing and for how long you've been playing it I see....

I think it's time for a class-action lawsuit against M$ for privacy invasion!

I hope I qualify for this. I use to play Halo 2 a lot well that was many years ago. Last time I played this game was almost like a year. So my chances of me getting an email is really low, but still there is still some small chance of me getting one. Never lose hope

I threw halo 2 in a week ago or so, just to update all of the map packs. Before that I havn't played halo 2 in like a year or so, and I got this email today.

[quote name='strongpimphand']Ah, so M$ has been keeping tabs on what games you've been playing and for how long you've been playing it I see....

I think it's time for a class-action lawsuit against M$ for privacy invasion![/QUOTE]

I really hope you are kidding here. You are honestly surprised that playing games on Microsoft's Xbox Live platform *gasp* records your game playing information?!

Also, I'm entirely sure you probably agreed to this in whatever EULA you agreed to when signing up for Live.

P.S. - As for the actual promo, my guess is Microsoft may be targeting people who played Halo 2 recently and possibly frequently. I imagine they have some magic formula for who will qualify somewhere - otherwise the list would be absolutely huge and could include rentals (though I question whether you could still game the system by just renting the game recently if you don't own it - assuming places still rent classic Xbox games anymore).

[quote name='m00p2000']Where do we check this and how?[/QUOTE]

It's like YMMV. Check your email. It just depends if you had any Halo 2 XBL activity recently. Not everyone is going to get one. And you have to remember that most the people that received these must have had their XBL accounts for sometime. OG players ;) (Maybe not, who knows)
:bouncy:

[quote name='strongpimphand']Ah, so M$ has been keeping tabs on what games you've been playing and for how long you've been playing it I see....

I think it's time for a class-action lawsuit against M$ for privacy invasion![/QUOTE]

I hope this is intentionally ironic. If so, good show, sir.

[quote name='Warlock82']I really hope you are kidding here. You are honestly surprised that playing games on Microsoft's Xbox Live platform *gasp* records your game playing information?!

Also, I'm entirely sure you probably agreed to this in whatever EULA you agreed to when signing up for Live.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he was being ironic, considering the mygamercard link in his signature. But it is entirely possible that he's just a raving idiot. However, I'm still sticking with the former.

Wow, I played Halo 2 for about 2 hours and downloaded all the map packs again on my 360 last week and I didn't even get a e-mail....lame.

[quote name='hungryheepo']It's like YMMV. Check your email. It just depends if you had any Halo 2 XBL activity recently. Not everyone is going to get one. And you have to remember that most the people that received these must have had their XBL accounts for sometime. OG players ;) (Maybe not, who knows)
:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I bought an Xbox for Halo 2 specifically and have been an Xbox Live member for over 6 years now but I guess that isn't as special. Also the OP mentioned something about checking account messages on teh console. How do we do this?

Haven't played much in several years, but recently attempted to get DLC and was denied. This was during the period where DLC was shut off.

Email confirmed. Haven't played much in several years, but recently attempted to get DLC and was denied. This was during the period where DLC was shut off.

For all the shit you people give MS on some of these threads they deserve a kudos for what they did here. Maybe next time some of you think about trashing them for whatever reason you will think back to this.

No you wont.

[quote name='Spyder187']For all the shit you people give MS on some of these threads they deserve a kudos for what they did here. Maybe next time some of you think about trashing them for whatever reason you will think back to this.

No you wont.[/QUOTE]

Not as long as I still have to pay to play multiplayer games, I won't.

It is a nice gesture, and as much as I bash, I will admit it is nice considering I really dont think they owe anyone. Hell a dead platform never gets supports so kudos. Although you gotta admit it is also partly to get the hardcore Halo 2 players to buy the new games too instead of just playing a game they no longer make money off of.

[quote name='uta_cynic']Not as long as I still have to pay to play multiplayer games, I won't.[/QUOTE]

You don't... No one is forcing you to pay Microsoft to play games online.

[quote name='uta_cynic']Not as long as I still have to pay to play multiplayer games, I won't.[/QUOTE]

Pretty silly argument. You don't "have" to pay for anything. You chose to buy the Xbox 360, knowing that Live Gold would cost something. It's not like MS sprung that onto us out of nowhere.

I got the email today! Thing is I DL'd maps once but never actually played Halo 2 online. Im gratefull though, Thanks MS!

I think this has something to do with the Xbox Live member perk cuz I've been a member for 7 years. :/

I got the email too.

You don't have to do anything. And if you have people to your house, you can play all the multi-player you want for free.

Vote with your dollar. If the PS3 was kicking the 360s ass, you can be sure that the online service would be free.

I played way over 12,000 games of Halo 2 along with over 6,000 of Halo 3 and haven't gotten any email. Also been on Live for over 6 years as well. Most of these emails seem random based on how certain people get them while others don't. Good for some of you guys and good luck to the rest.

[quote name='Spyder187']For all the shit you people give MS on some of these threads they deserve a kudos for what they did here. Maybe next time some of you think about trashing them for whatever reason you will think back to this.

No you wont.[/QUOTE]

not really. being a 'loyal member' for more than 5+ years and I didn't get crap so who really should get the kudos? More like the shaft. This is gearing more towards people who have been playing halo 2 in recent activity to get them to get into the newer halo series and this is a bribe type way to do that. I played halo 2 since it's launch and even up until the first year that halo 3 was released and I bought all the dlc maps as well. they don't reward 'loyal members' as I figured out the hard way.

no one stated anything about owing anyone anything, read correctly. if you or they talk about 'loyal members' there you have it, that's 1 thing but to consider someone who has only been playing halo 2 and hasn't been a member for so long and take into content how much dlc, add-ons and such then it starts to paint a clearer picture of who the loyal members are. those of us who do all that, stayed with xbl when it was down for almost 2 weeks to get 'undertow' free for that bullshit we went through. I'm just saying, i've put in well over 2 years of constant, daily gameplay into halo 2 and I purchased all the dlc and i'm still playing halo 3 too. They should just reword their statement and remove 'loyal member'.

Ironically, I finally get one of these and all I've ever done was download the map packs to my XBOX and XBOX 360 a couple of weeks ago.

[quote name='JJSP']The don't owe you anything. Be happy they're giving you anything at all.[/QUOTE]

While you are correct that MS doesn't owe everyone who ever possibly used xbox live on the first xbox something, MS has had a small number of users that have long term xbox live memberships and MS just gave them 60 or so days notice that they were pulling the plug. Now there was no guarantee that Halo 2 would be available forever, but 60 days notice for something that has been running for years is a bit abrupt, esp for a service that is prepaid. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't get with times and this isn't millions of people, but MS could have done better than 60 days notice...it is not like the xbox live shutdown is a huge surprise but alot of folks were surprised by the short notice about the termination date.

I think it's cool that they are doing something for these people at all.

I mean they could have said:

ATTN: Stop playing Halo 2 you douchebuckets, we're no longer making a dime off of you (except for the Live Subscription which you only payed $30 for at Walmart). We really need you to move on to a new game. Please spend $60 bucks to buy the new Halo game...even though it may or may not be as good as Halo 2. Oh and for the people who have had LIVE for 6 years and played Halo 2 but don't receive this offer, it's not our fault the planets are aligned against you. Have a nice day!

So here's the question - if I got to gamestop and buy a cheap copy of Halo 2, play it online once, will I get this deal? Would be a cheap score of 3 months of live and 400 points (plus a game and Halo Reach beta access). Or are they only giving this to people who have already been playing? EDIT: $5.20+tax after 50% off Xbox original and 10% Edge, presuming the $12.99 price that's online is also in-store. No?

Sweet got it also. I didn't even play a match online just about a week after the closing of the servers were announced I hopped on to DL the DLC for my old xbox games.

Thing is, I can't even access the download for the halo 2 maps at all. I checked my account history and show that they did charge me for them and everything but I cannot download any of the map packs this sucks. I guess this is more of an apology form for closing the servers and giving people problems with the dlc for the game awhile back as that is what it's appearing to look like.

Geez, I played a lot of Halo 2, but I didn't get any e-mail. Then again, I always seem to get mass e-mails after everyone else, so I'll be patient.

No you wont.[/QUOTE]

Its like the guy who raped you during your childhood came back and gave you a ice cream cone and now you'll tell everyone how sweet he is.

Except he still rapes you.

[quote name='blitz6speed']

Except he still rapes you.[/QUOTE]

You know what they say, "You can't rape the willing"! :lol:

bread's done
Back