Microsoft thanks Halo 2 players (free 3 months XBL, 400 points, Halo: Reach Beta)

RBH

CAGiversary!
With the impending discontinuation of the XBL service on the original Xbox, Microsoft has been sending out this e-mail to Halo 2 players apparently:

On April 15, 2010, we will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox games playable on Xbox v1 and Xbox 360. In our continuing efforts to evolve the service, we need to make changes to the LIVE service that are not compatible with original Xbox v1 games.

What does this change mean for you?
• It does not affect your ability to play original Xbox v1 games offline, but does remove LIVE connectivity and support for online multiplayer, leader boards, and other online features of these games.
• We realize that you are an avid Halo 2 fan. Unfortunately, with this change, you will not be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE going forward.
• Although it is difficult to say goodbye to Halo 2, the Halo franchise continues as the benchmark for multiplayer gaming in this generation with Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and soon Halo: Reach. On the Xbox 360, you will continue to have access to the LIVE service where you can enjoy hundreds of other LIVE-enabled games.

When will this change take effect?
• April 15, 2010.

What is Xbox LIVE doing for me?
• To thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE customer, we are giving you a free, three-month LIVE Gold membership and 400 Microsoft Points for you to use as you choose on Xbox LIVE.
• In addition, because you've been so loyal to Halo, we are inviting you to participate in the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

How do I get these offers?
• You will receive a token for 400 MS points. Check your Xbox LIVE account messages on the console. These points can be used for 365 days after you activate your token.
• We are extending your Gold membership by three months automatically. The extension will be directly reflected in your LIVE account.
• Finally, as the beta gets closer, you will receive an e-mail containing the code granting you access to the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

Thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE member. Please visit xbox.com/support if you have any questions or for more information.
The Xbox LIVE Team

Pretty nice gesture from MS.

Even if you haven't played Halo 2 in awhile, it's still worth checking your e-mail anyways for this since the message does point out "loyal Xbox Live" members.

Wow, I can't even remember how long ago it was when I got through Halo 2 (probably right before Halo 3 game out). Hope I get this e-mail. Could definately use the points (want to get Perfect Dark). I assume, however, we wouldn't get the points until after April 15th.

yeah thats the thing...it says check your messages on xbox live for the points, but I dont have any messages...hmmm...ayone actually get the points yet?

FFeint - halo 2
Total Games: 4043 | Last Played: 2/20/2010 7:46:03 PM | Total Kills: 9202 | Total Deaths: 11559 | Total Assists: 2870

and apparently i don't qualify, damnit bungie

[quote name='vashnlol']FFeint - halo 2
Total Games: 4043 | Last Played: 2/20/2010 7:46:03 PM | Total Kills: 9202 | Total Deaths: 11559 | Total Assists: 2870

and apparently i don't qualify, damnit bungie[/QUOTE]

They saw your bad K/D ratio and figured you'd be a wasted beta invite.

Keep in mind guys, they probably have thousands of these e-mails to send out. Most likely they are sending them in batches (especially considering all the crap they have to do to your account - awarding you points, XBL months, and beta access), which means you might still get one later on.

Woah, woah, do all Microsoft Points expire after 365 days after being activated? I bought my 1600 points from CAGs so I don't see the fine print.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I got for being a Chromehounds and Mechassault player are ridicule and scorn. But its nice to hear that they did something for somebody.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Woah, woah, do all Microsoft Points expire after 365 days after being activated? I bought my 1600 points from CAGs so I don't see the fine print.[/QUOTE]
Only ones you get from promotions and contests, if you buy 'em they last forever...

Well I know I wont get this.

shazo

Total Games: 24 | Last Played: 8/23/2007 10:25:12 PM | Total Kills: 105 | Total Deaths: 370 | Total Assists: 81

It's very nice Bungie is doing this. But it would have been even cooler if MS gave every gold member a goind away present like a free game or some free points.

I played this 6 years ago on a local network with a different Xbox than I currently own and no gamertag. I hope I qualify.

;)

Total Games: 4137 | Last Played: 7/27/2009 5:36:13 AM | Total Kills: 14830 | Total Deaths: 19502 | Total Assists: 4181

No email... Hmmmm...

I have had a Live account since 2008 and just started playing Halo 2 on my 360 (or ever even) this past summer, since I usually just played Halo 3. I got the e-mail today :)

WOOOAAH! I GOT IT!. i havent played since like 08 or 07, but i popped in the game last week or so, and didnt even play it. yet i jus checked my email and *heaven shines below* bam :D coolio. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

I only played Halo 2 online like twice a few years ago and I got a email so I don't know what the criteria is but it must be pretty damn liberal.

I think they should have like once every 3 or 4 months a free Game to loyal gold members, im not complaining, but itd be nice and they wouldnt lose much money, not even a great game, just another Hexic HD or that SHMUP

[quote name='sstcrush']I think they should have like once every 3 or 4 months a free Game to loyal gold members, im not complaining, but itd be nice and they wouldnt lose much money, not even a great game, just another Hexic HD or that SHMUP[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but ATLEAST Microsoft is better than Sony >_>. We had a 3-4 day Xbox Live overload, and ended up with Undertow. Sony has a 1 day complete console bricker, and we end up with a crappy and way off time update.

[quote name='portcityplaya']I only played Halo 2 online like twice a few years ago and I got a email so I don't know what the criteria is but it must be pretty damn liberal.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I've played it way more than that and I got nothing.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Agreed, but ATLEAST Microsoft is better than Sony >_>. We had a 3-4 day Xbox Live overload, and ended up with Undertow. Sony has a 1 day complete console bricker, and we end up with a crappy and way off time update.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, what happened with the PS3 just happened. I'm not saying they are going to offer anything, but you don't know that, yet. It took MS a few days to announce they would be offering anything at all and another couple of weeks to actually make it happen.

Sony and MS both have their moments.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']In all fairness, what happened with the PS3 just happened. I'm not saying they are going to offer anything, but you don't know that, yet. It took MS a few days to announce they would be offering anything at all and another couple of weeks to actually make it happen.

Sony and MS both have their moments.[/QUOTE]

Still, they could have atleast given us an update at a reasonable time >_>, 8:50 at night is just pathetic. (Pretty much one of the latest updates ever, aside from the one after 9 they pulled once)

I wouldn't expect anything from Sony. The MS outage was much longer than 1 day and also during Christmas break for most people. They really did owe their customers something. Even if it was a pretty crappy title they gave away.

The only thing that bugs me about Sony is the fact everyone was praising them for doing nothing.

Yeah but im not for sure if it was the same for everyone else, but for the majority of the days, i was still able to access Live and barely DC'd. Sony's outage was a complete console bricker (Aside from older games, and older PSN games), not to mention it deleted many trophies from people who either didnt sync before it happened, or played while it was happening.

Played 1000+ games on the same GT.. Last time I played mulitplayer was 2008 so I fired up Halo 2 today, redownloaded the DLC (there was an update to H2 that corrupted the previous DLC maps so I had to redownload) and played 2 matches. My Bunige.net account is showing the update from 2010 now so I'll play randomly here and there until the email comes.. I'm not worried cause I know it will come. They are probably releasing them in waves..

AceBox89
Total Games: 12697 | Last Played: 5/5/2009 11:04:41 PM | Total Kills: 105506 | Total Deaths: 91686 | Total Assists: 24600

Nothing. Not surprising as I said before.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Yeah but im not for sure if it was the same for everyone else, but for the majority of the days, i was still able to access Live and barely DC'd. Sony's outage was a complete console bricker (Aside from older games, and older PSN games), not to mention it deleted many trophies from people who either didnt sync before it happened, or played while it was happening.[/QUOTE]
I would agree if it was a permanent console bricker. I don't consider a one day outage as a bricker though.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I haven't even been following the whole situation, but unless a machine cannot work ever again, it isn't bricked.[/QUOTE]
Zactly.

I just played a game for the first time in a long time and afterwards I got a message on live saying the time had bene added to my account and with the code for the points.

[quote name='strongpimphand']Ah, so M$ has been keeping tabs on what games you've been playing and for how long you've been playing it I see....

I think it's time for a class-action lawsuit against M$ for privacy invasion![/QUOTE]

I'm sure that sort of monitoring is in the terms of service. Considering that your list of recently played games is an open and obvious part of your XBL profile you shouldn't be surprised that they've been "keeping tabs" on your online activity.

[quote name='SlaughterX']I just played a game for the first time in a long time and afterwards I got a message on live saying the time had bene added to my account and with the code for the points.[/QUOTE]
Well I will just pop that sucker in tomorrow then and see what happens.

[quote name='SlaughterX']I just played a game for the first time in a long time and afterwards I got a message on live saying the time had bene added to my account and with the code for the points.[/QUOTE]

Pics or it didn't happen.

I just tried this myself and it's been way over a year since I played and nada.

I will play it off an on to see if I get it. I don't see it happening but worth a shot.

As for the bricking I don't see why Sony would bother with giving out a free game. Online play is free on the PS3. Microsoft charges so to make up for the lack of service instead of giving that same amount of days back on live they gave a free game. Also from what I understand with the issue Sony had the PS3 Slims were fine. So it only affected everyone that didn't have a PS3 Slim. I do think it would be nice if they did something to make up for it but don't see that happening.

[quote name='sendme']I will play it off an on to see if I get it. I don't see it happening but worth a shot.

As for the bricking I don't see why Sony would bother with giving out a free game. Online play is free on the PS3. Microsoft charges so to make up for the lack of service instead of giving that same amount of days back on live they gave a free game. Also from what I understand with the issue Sony had the PS3 Slims were fine. So it only affected everyone that didn't have a PS3 Slim. I do think it would be nice if they did something to make up for it but don't see that happening.[/QUOTE]

Played last night. Nothing yet. Does it show up in your live mailbox or e-mail only?

[quote name='m00p2000']Where do we check this and how?[/QUOTE]

Where: Your e-mail!

How: Read!

[quote name='speedracer']I remember seeing Halo 2 on store shelves. I hope I get the email.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Now there's an optimist!

[quote name='dgwillia006']Still, they could have atleast given us an update at a reasonable time >_>, 8:50 at night is just pathetic. (Pretty much one of the latest updates ever, aside from the one after 9 they pulled once)[/QUOTE]

That's because Sony didn't actually do anything. They just waited for the day to roll over and thus fix the problem for them.

Anyone actually get this while playing Halo 2 on their 360 and owning a Gold account? I have a feeling this is just limited for Xbox Live v1 owners.

bread's done
Back