Microsoft Xbox Wireless-G Broadband Adapter $69.99 + 2 shipping @ overstock

These are 34.98 on clearance at Target, I believe (if you can find one, that is).

I got mine for that price in August 2004. YMMV

[quote name='Luckychunk']These are 34.98 on clearance at Target, I believe (if you can find one, that is).

I got mine for that price in August 2004. YMMV[/QUOTE]

Something tells me if you bought yours 3/4 a year ago on clearance, no Target is going to have one at the price, if in-stock at all, hehehe. ^_~ You can't even wait a couple weeks with Target on good stuff, someone always jumps on that stuff. I tried the waiting game on some PSP 128MB cards, but they were gone in a week after they went on clearance.

Finding these at Target would be ridiculously unlikely, at best. However, I have seen them at CC B&M as recently as the $1.99 "sale" for either $53-something or $58-something.

Do you guys know what this device is about? Is this just like a router? If this is just like a router, do you know why it is so expensive? Regular routers usually cost around $40 to $70.

It isn't a router. It allows you to connect to your Xbox to a wireless router, however. Basically it eliminates the need to run a ethernet cable from your cable modem/router to your Xbox.

I've got a Linksys unit, but its B, not G. It works with both my PS2 and Xbox. I'm guessing this one will too, even though it is a Microsoft product.

These things do tend to run some money though, unfortunately.

[quote name='The Don']Do you guys know what this device is about? Is this just like a router? If this is just like a router, do you know why it is so expensive? Regular routers usually cost around $40 to $70.[/QUOTE]

It's not a router, it's a wireless bridge to connect the Ethernet port on the back of the Xbox to the wireless network. That's why it's expensive.

This is what is basically a wireless ethernet bridge. If are willing to deal with some configuration quirks go with a standard bridge. Also, get the cheapest one possible because the next generation of consoles will all probably have wifi built into them like revolution. If you are willing to put in some time, you can usually find a wireless bridge at about 30-40 dollars. I bought my netgear ME101 wireless bridge from justdeals.com for 35 dollars shipped. They have them in stock every now and then, and it is a great product. It is, however, 802.11b and not g, but as I said the next generation of consoles will most likely have wireless g built in and internet speeds will not even take advantage of the speeds that G provides until that time comes to pass.

NOTE: If you buy a wireless bridge that does not say that it is xbox approved, be prepared to have all of your IP and DNS settings ready to input because it will not work if you have your xbox set to detect them automatically. Also, if you have an access list on your router, you will need to add the mac addresses of both your console and the bridge into the list. If you chose to go the route of the cheaper adapter, that advice that I just spouted will save you the hours of headache that I had to endure when I set up my xbox for wireless. I do not know anything about setting up a PS2 because I do not have one. Also, if you have multiple ethernet devices that you want to hook up in one room, you can hook up those devices and the bridge to a hub, and it will connect all of them to your wireless network.

I bought a lynksis wrt54g router and updated the firmware. There is a way you can make this router into a wireless bridge. I have it working for my computer, but have not tried it for my xbox, although I know people have. It's great because I can connect multiple devices to it.

bread's done
Back