Midway Arcade Origins (360/PS3) - $19.99 - Amazon

Damn i wish they were able to reprint NFL Blitz 2000 Gold and put it on a disc.Yea the rosters would be outdated but man that was a great game- with late hits included! :) Plus, if it had NARC, the Crusin' games, Gauntlet Legends and maybe Primal Rage Id get it but for now Ill wait for a price drop.

Picked it up for an upcoming gaming weekend with friends who probably remember many of these games fondly. Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='simmias']That collection is missing most of the classics that this one has. Sinistar, Spy Hunter, Defender, Robotron, Tapper, Smash TV, and Rampart were glaring omissions from a cursory look.[/QUOTE]

PAPERBOY was in that anthology -- inexplicably missing from this one.

I don't know what it is like on the PS3, but I've had no issues with twin stick games on the 360 version...Getting diagonal shots in Smash TV, Robotron and Total Carnage with the right analog stick hasn't been a problem in the slightest for me (haven't tried cyberball 2072). Spy Hunter is fairly broken because it is almost impossible to control the speed properly with the trigger, but it was broken exactly the same way on the previous versions as well. APB is also damn difficult to control the speed with the trigger. But that all that said, for $20, there is a lot of value here. Gauntlet, Xenophobe, Smash TV, Xybots, Robotron, Rampage all are ton of fun

Got my PS3 copy yesterday and I am definitely happy with the purchase. A lot of memories here for just 20 bucks. Sure, 720 is difficult to control and a few of the games are junk - but absolutely worth it for old school players.

By the way, I noticed in the little instruction insert - it actually reads "Batman Arkham City" in the description text. A definite copy/paste job by the folks at Warner Bros Games... :)

from what people have told me, this Tournament Cyberball 2072 is a big step up from the XBLA version. Cyberball went through many iterations (kind of like Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting, etc.).

It started off with Cyberball. This was very limited. Limited number of plays, limited variety of teams. Only 2 player co-op. The sequel was Cyberball 2072. This brought a lot more to the game. More types of players, more plays, more teams, faster gameplay, tweaked gameplay, etc. But still 2 player co-op only versus the computer.

Then there was Tournament Cyberball 2072 which had up to 4 players over 2 screens (2 teams of 2 players with each team having their own monitor). This also fixed some of the unforseen gameplay flaws and exploits that were due to the major upgrades of the Cyberball 2072 over the original Cyberball.

The XBLA version was the emulated Cyberball 2072. According to what I've read, the Midway Arcade Origins version is based off of Tournament Cyberball 2072. 4-player versus with online support would've been killer so a missed opportunity.

Tournament Cyberball 2072, to me, is the greatest arcade football game, especially in terms of its football knowledge. I love other arcade football games like Tecmo Bowl and its sequels (still play Tecmo Bowl Throwback on the 360). still love NFL Blitz (just picked up the XBLA version recently) but that's more because it's crazy rather than being authentic football. but most other arcade football games are basically twitch/reflex games. more about giving it to the RB or WR and just having a juke fest. Cyberball really a deeper understanding of football. You can't cover up your lack of understanding of coverages and down and distance with juking or stiff arming in Cyberball. And it's huge on timing plays. Each play usually has both passing and running options. not saying that other arcade football games don't have strategy. but put in a hundred hours into each arcade football game and you'll start to greatly appreciate Cyberball.

for those lost on how to play Cyberball (according to the threads I've read recently), here's a quick vid I made in MAME on my PC. caveats about the vid: since I was using a screen capture program, it really messed up gameplay with glitches and resulted in serious slowdown which hurts in Cyberball because Cyberball is so much timing. So normally, I wouldn't give up so many points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouHzCWQdCA

for any cyberball fanatics out there, you may snicker at my use of one defense. I did this intentionally for the video so that people could get used to see the defense over multiple types of plays. normally, I rotate among a few defenses. and against humans, I have different attack patterns versus playing the computer. I also play differently when I play humans because the margin of error is so small with humans (especially since a human DB has a wider INT range than a computer DB).

i made a tutorial video (using clips from the above game) about special teams and offense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WvMydRZczM

2:20 choosing coaches.
2:58 choosing teams.
8:24 upgrades.
8:46 kickoff returns.
11:22 kickoff defense.
19:17 offense.
19:13 explanation of plays best for medium blitzing defenses.
19:20 explanation of the football play selection and the hash marks.
23:09 dime or corner blitz.
26:15 explanation of quick pitches to players on the line.
27:01 only 1 titanium player of that class.
27:13 explanation of weakside and how it matters with a blitz.
29:25 explanation for mail drop.
32:06 further explanation of catch and run plays (original explanation at 22:12).
33:46 explanation of X play.
35:04 further explanation of quick pitches along the line.
38:17 spend all money after you finish your upgrades.
40:19 pitches out wide to deep running backs.
42:48 don't tip where you're going to pass.
44:50 explanation of showtime play.
47:00 how to handle the LB drop.
52:42 how to handle the LB blitz.
56:08 run-n-gun explanation and its fault against medium defenses.
58:26 how to handle the 1 yard line.
59:32 conclusion

i also made a tutorial vid about conversion points and defense but I haven't uploaded it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back