Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - PSN Puzzle/SRPG from Capybara - $14.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...attles-adventures-critter-crunch-connections/

Watch the video linked below to see an explanation of how the game's mechanics work.
Tutorial Video: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1751/0

As you in-the-know PSN bloggers realize, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is our HD love letter to the original game that we released in 2009 to acclaim and awards. It’s not often that you get the chance to remake your own game, so we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to bring this gem to a whole new audience: you guys! By now most people know about Clash of Heroes’ engrossing campaign mode, its innovative puzzle-strategy gameplay, and its tense turn-based battles. But what few realize is that those battles are even better when your facing off against your friends (or some random stranger who has an ass-whupping coming to him). So that’s why Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is dropping with full local and online multiplayer, in either 1v1 or 2v2 flavours. Not content to simply juice up the multiplayer mode and port the game over, we decided to redo the game from scratch with all new 2D HD art, hand-drawn by the same talented crew of artists that brought you the lush visuals of Critter Crunch. Puuuurtyyy!

Now you’re up to speed on why Clash is jumping from handheld to console, but what’s it actually about? There’s two core components to Might & Magic Clash of Heroes: Battles and Adventure. Let’s take a bit of time to dive into each one. And what better way to do this than through a special video made just for PlayStation.Blog readers…

Battle gameplay is the heart and soul of the Clash of Heroes experience, combining turn-based strategy and puzzle gaming. In Clash of Heroes, you can grab units from the end of each column, and place them at the back of any new column – just like how you moved critters around with Biggs’ tongue in Critter Crunch! Go on the offensive by matching three of the same units vertically, or build defensive walls by matching three (or more) of the same units horizontally. That’s the meat of the battle system, but trust me, there’s tons of gravy. Rarer and more powerful units get added to the mix, bringing with them special attacks and abilities. Also in your magical toolbox of magic are Hero Spells, your hero’s special attacks that have different attributes, and when triggered at strategic times, can turn the tide of a battle.

Clash of Heroes may have puzzle roots, but players will need to start thinking ahead, watching their opponents, and formulating a strategy if they hope to stay alive on the battlefield–all while keeping their puzzle-y eyes sharpened for potential combos!

Battle may be the guts of Clash of Heroes, but it’s got some mean adventuring as well.

Clash of Heroes takes place across the varied lands of Ashan, and over the course of five campaigns, you’ll take five distinct young characters and mold them into heroes through the heat of battle. Lots of battles! While adventuring, you’ll meet tons of kooky characters, find chests full of loot and wind up facing off against enemies of all kinds, leveling up your hero in the process. You can power through the game’s main quests, or choose to stop along the way to take optional side-quests, or make some extra coin bounty hunting, or even solve some Critter Crunch-style puzzle-mode battles!

Well, that’s enough blabbering for one post. In case you can’t tell, we at Capy are ultra-excited to unleash Clash of Heroes, and hopefully we’ll be back again soon to continue yelling at you over the internet about how proud we are of the game.

See you April 12th folks!

I'm color blind and couldn't play the DS version. If you are color blind you might want to check out a demo first. I emailed the company and the President, Nathan Vella wrote back said the PSN version was tested with a color blind employee and it is playable.

"We had a colorblind person play through the XBLA/PSN version to try to ensure we covered our bases, and he gave it the thumbs up."

I hope so, I do want to play this game.

I really enjoyed the DS version, but I can't imagine paying $15 for the same game, just to get HD. Unless they rebalanced the factions, which would make multi-player more intriguing. Anyone who didn't get this on DS should definitely get this on PSN.

[quote name='Backlash']I really enjoyed the DS version, but I can't imagine paying $15 for the same game, just to get HD. Unless they rebalanced the factions, which would make multi-player more intriguing. Anyone who didn't get this on DS should definitely get this on PSN.[/QUOTE]
They did:

Now we’re back on the awesome PlayStation Network with online & local versus multiplayer, a new co-op multiplayer mode, tons of balancing tweaks, new unit abilities and so much more.

Ah, nice. Well, I might spring for this. Really wish it was $10, though. hope it doesn't have the same problem Hoard has - impossible to find an online game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This is out now for those that missed the update.[/QUOTE]
Downloading the demo, it is taking forever. Much much longer than it should

edit I like it but I think I'll wait for a sale to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it yesterday (1.6 Gigs!) and played it for a couple of hours last night. Still learning the units and how the game is played, but I'm having a blast. The presentation and graphics are phenomenal.

I went ahead and bit. It is a bit weird playing this after the DS version. With the fancier graphics I actually find it much harder to tell what's going on in the battlefield. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Anyone in this thread please feel free to add me to your friend list for multiplayer (really the only reason I got it, not sure if I'll even play through the campaign again).

[quote name='bearhawk72']Downloading the demo, it is taking forever. Much much longer than it should

edit I like it but I think I'll wait for a sale to buy it.[/QUOTE]

It did take forever. It is one of those games where the demo is the full game, and when you buy it you just download a 6 kb unlock.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What do you want to play it on?[/QUOTE]

Wherever is plays the best. If it is the same on either console, will do PS3. I have 150GB free there and only 20GB free on my 360.

Finally bought this and a short 30 minute session ended up going over three hours. It's still as addictive as the DS version was. If PS+ people didn't see this in the update, Clash of Heroes HD is only $11.99 for the first couple of weeks.

Played a bit more last night and am really getting into the meat of the game. It's great ... except for the loading screens. Why is there loading on a PSN game?!

[quote name='punkmaggit']Played a bit more last night and am really getting into the meat of the game. It's great ... except for the loading screens. Why is there loading on a PSN game?![/QUOTE]

I have the same complaint... hate the loading times on it... dont even remember the DS having any when I played it. Still a great game, but still really annoying.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Played a bit more last night and am really getting into the meat of the game. It's great ... except for the loading screens. Why is there loading on a PSN game?![/QUOTE]
Because it's a game? Being digital doesn't remove the need to load.

Actually the load times are a legitimate complaint. To the person who asked which version they should get... I'd recommend the x360 version over PS3 just for this reason alone. Just about every action you take in game requires a load screen, and the x360 loads them a lot faster. It may be only a few seconds difference for each load, but they add up considering the length of the game.

Here's Capybara's forum which already has a thread going about this. You need to register and your post needs moderator approval... but they apparently see no differences between the 2 versions.

http://www.capybaragames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1023

The load times are a bit annoying, but not that bad. I'd say the load before battles is around 5 secs on my PS3, and it seemed a bit longer than that on the DS.

This game is crazy addictive! The loading is annoying, but the gameplay is so good that I'll tolerate it. I loved Puzzle Quest, but I feel that this is a better game because there's more strategy. Online play is really good too.

Feel free to add me on PSN (username: Bored_Doc). Would love to play with or against fellow CAGs.

Ok, after playing through a bunch of the campaign (I'm about midway through Haven), I have changed my mind. The load times are more like 10-12 seconds, and really annoying.

Anyone who played both the DS version and the HD version that would recommend buying this for single player only? I noticed that in the demo, the arrow spell is now split into 3 columns. Also, my deer unit jumped over the enemy walls without my equipping the armor with that ability.

It was worth it for me to figure out how Azexes is pronounced since there are voice overs for part of the story now. It depends if you want to play through the story again.

Backlash and I had a good hour long game just now. Thanks to that game, I lost my 11 game winning streak online. Damn you Backlash ;)

Ha, thanks for the game. So much better than playing the computer. Much slower though - I might have to turn the clock on next time ;).

Unfortunately, I saw afterward that I had been hit by the bug that wipes your online record. I had played three games previous to that, but I only have the experience from our game and my record is just 1-0 now. Will I ever get past level 1 online?

Edit: Post on capy forum about the bug: http://www.capybaragames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1135&p=2875

I never even knew this game existed but this intrigues me. From what I seen this looks really good.

I do have a question though. I played a bunch of puzzle quest for the DS but it seems like the AI was always bullshit overpowered and got the exact right moves/combos every time to kill me (not strategy wise either, luck wise). I don't know about the battle system here and how that works but does this game suffer the same fate?

I tried demos on old xbox360 (20gb, no hdmi) and ps3slim (160gb) and load times are practically identical, 8 secs for 'quicker' ones, 12-14 secs for 'longer' ones.

If there was a way to do a real defrag on 360 or I upgraded maybe that'd be the way, but it's just not in the cards right now for a $15 game/which platform choice.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I never even knew this game existed but this intrigues me. From what I seen this looks really good.

I do have a question though. I played a bunch of puzzle quest for the DS but it seems like the AI was always bullshit overpowered and got the exact right moves/combos every time to kill me (not strategy wise either, luck wise). I don't know about the battle system here and how that works but does this game suffer the same fate?[/QUOTE]

There isn't that issue as bad as that. The computer does get lucky sometimes with what they get, but its never "You are just screwed and going to lose". Also, you can get just as lucky and the computer as unlucky. The only time its hard to beat the computer is when you take on a side quest that is a higher level than yourself.

Also, there are some planned fights where the computer starts off strong and you have to defend against it, but it is never unfair and are all winnable (I beat the game only losing one fight and that was me taking on a quest way to early).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I do have a question though. I played a bunch of puzzle quest for the DS but it seems like the AI was always bullshit overpowered and got the exact right moves/combos every time to kill me (not strategy wise either, luck wise). I don't know about the battle system here and how that works but does this game suffer the same fate?[/QUOTE]

Not anything like PQ. Sometimes the computer gets lucky when it calls in extra troops and the colors seem to line up, but then sometimes you get lucky, too. Seems to happen for the computer slightly more often, but honestly the game is pretty easy so it's not really an issue.

[quote name='Brimah']There isn't that issue as bad as that. The computer does get lucky sometimes with what they get, but its never "You are just screwed and going to lose". Also, you can get just as lucky and the computer as unlucky. The only time its hard to beat the computer is when you take on a side quest that is a higher level than yourself.

Also, there are some planned fights where the computer starts off strong and you have to defend against it, but it is never unfair and are all winnable (I beat the game only losing one fight and that was me taking on a quest way to early).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Backlash']Not anything like PQ. Sometimes the computer gets lucky when it calls in extra troops and the colors seem to line up, but then sometimes you get lucky, too. Seems to happen for the computer slightly more often, but honestly the game is pretty easy so it's not really an issue.[/QUOTE]

Oh, fantastic. I will have to buy this then because I love Puzzle Games and I love RPG games.

Anyone here want to play some 2v2 one evening? It's the last trophy I need to plat. The only caveat is that I don't have a headset or anything like that, so we'd have to use Skype. I can't imagine trying to play 2v2 without actually being able to talk to my partner. (I really wish they'd let two local players team up against 2 online ones. Not sure why they didn't include that.)

bread's done
Back