Mind moving insanely fast for no reason. Anyone know what this is?

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
I know this is a gaming forum, NOT a mental health forum... but I just cant seem to find anything on this. So I was thinking MAAAAYBE someone might get the same thing once in a while.

When I was little, it would happen in the morning... while watching Saturday morning cartoons... my mind would just ramp up to like 300% and I couldnt concentrate on anything. It was like having 10 people talk to you at the same time, you cant really grasp what you're trying to think of. It makes you forget to breathe and you end up having to remind yourself.

It feels like everything is moving at lightning speed, and your body and your mind on your current subject... (like TV or working on something) is INSANELY SLOOOOOOW.

When I was a kid it happened all the time, no that I'm an adult its like once every six months. I just had another one of those episodes and damned if I can find anything. It doesnt feel like depression or a mental disorder.. it feels like something is blocking the blood flow to my brain or something... or it starts working overtime for no reason. I'm really not depressed or anything. Its really odd.

Does anyone else get this?? Or can someone point me in a direction of a mental thing that this is. It's mearly an episode, NOT like an all day affair. I will say, that I have taken tests on ADHD and I seem to be right on with that... but this is something different.

I dunno, anyways.. I know this isnt the best place to ask.. but CAGs never let me down before. =)

Thanks in advance, guys (and girls)

ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder) or ADHD(Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) would be my best guest. There is adult version of it too if you still have it. If its really bothering you, you could talk to your general prac. and he could recommend you someone to see.

It sounds like a hypomanic episode. Do you feel irrational, grandiose or a little obsessive at the same time? How long does this last? Do you have a hard time sleeping?

[quote name='wingnut2600']It sounds like a hypomanic episode. Do you feel irrational, grandiose or a little obsessive at the same time? How long does this last? Do you have a hard time sleeping?[/quote]

That's what I was going to say as well.

I wouldn't say ADHD because its just episodes, and ADHD is more the opposite, in the fact that it would be like this all the time with episodes of a "normal" mindset when focusing on something you are really interested in or like.

Are these episodes followed by extreme episodes of depression or general lethargy?

With ADHD, my understanding is that your mind is overactive but the thing is that you can concentrate on more things at once. You said this makes it hard for you to concentrate and that doesn't sound right.

And as was already said, it doesn't tend to come in episodes. But what do any of us really know? I'd say this might be worth the cost of a co-pay to go see someone about it. You mentioned the thought of it possibly being a blockage and that's definitely not something you want to overlook. Best of luck.

:hot:??

heroes_title_card.jpg

Have you tried painting when this happens?

[quote name='CouRageouS']Rubbing one out usually helps.[/quote]

That is actually good advice....its a good intense activity to meditate on

This is a pretty common complaint that pshrinks hear. But like a lot of minor physical complaints it isn't indicative of much all by itself. Just about everybody has some sort of intermittant disorder that isn't severe enough on its own to need treatment.

For example, ever since childhood, I'll have a few seconds of twitching in one of the muscles around my left eye. I can feel it happening, as if an electrical voltage were being applied to that muscle. But nobody has ever noticed when it was happening, so it isn't causing any movement of the eye or my cheek or whatever its attached to. Its just a little glitch in the system.

Racing thoughts can be annoying, especially if you're trying to sleep or get something done. For me, it feels like I'm on the verge of some great discovery, like first mastering a concept that unlocks a new field, but that final step just won't come.

It can be interesting to see the results if it manifest while connected to an EEG or a radiative scanner but without any other symptoms there isn't much to be done.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Rubbing one out usually helps.[/quote]

I was actually wondering if this might be the problem.

Dang, I get these too. They're irritating as hell (doesn't help they also come with vertigo), so I usually try to get rid of them by sitting and focusing on blanking my mind.

It happens to me too. I usually attribute them to really mild panic attacks but then again I'm not trained or educated on this sort of stuff.

[quote name='st0neface']Cocaine is a hell of a drug.[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I was like "damn, some one gets wrecked and they think to post things on CAG? Could be fun."

But it was this.

Try googling up your symptoms and see what happens. Also, if it is really a problem, talk to a doctor or at least try and live a healthier life style, since that always seems to help.

Kinda off-topic, but has anyone seen those stop-smoking pills on TV where a side effect is suicidal thoughts? Funny how smoking might help you live longer than the pills to stop smoking, lol.

I'm bi polar myself...its a bitch. I've learned over the years how to handle thigns, but as I get older its harder and harder to do. Look up binaural beats. It may be something to help you

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder) or ADHD(Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) would be my best guest. There is adult version of it too if you still have it. If its really bothering you, you could talk to your general prac. and he could recommend you someone to see.[/QUOTE]

see and I was just gonna assume you (the OP) were continuousily eating speed...?

Racings thoughts as an isolated symptom could be related to all sorts of things. As others have mentioned, ADHD is a possibility, though usually you have other symptoms that go along with it. Probably not mania/hypomania since your episodes are so brief.

There are some medical conditions that could be a possibility. Hyperthyroidism would be at the top of my list that should be checked out ( a simple blood test). An overactive thyroid can often mimic signs of mania and ADHD pretty closely. Also seizures can manifest with purely congnitive/psychiatric symptoms, though racing thoughts alone would be an unusual presentation for them.

Wow, guys... I thought this would get no hits... so I didnt bother looking on here till a day later. A TON of responses...

Thanks for all the responses guys... I'm looking into these now. I think I'm going to get check out for ADHD thing the most.

Sounds like a panic attack.

Especially this:

It makes you forget to breathe and you end up having to remind yourself.

Assuming there are no other symptoms and you're not experiencing these episodes more than you say you are, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Anyone can have a panic attack, and most people do experience one at least once a year.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Wow, guys... I thought this would get no hits... so I didnt bother looking on here till a day later. A TON of responses...

Thanks for all the responses guys... I'm looking into these now. I think I'm going to get check out for ADHD thing the most.[/quote]

Groundbreaking economist John Nash had these same problems, albeit at a much more frequent pace. And he was a mathematical genius. Check into it.

Yes I just read A Beautiful Mind

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder) or ADHD(Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) would be my best guest. There is adult version of it too if you still have it. If its really bothering you, you could talk to your general prac. and he could recommend you someone to see.[/quote]

Yeah I have ADD/ADHD, the adult version. It makes college a living hell.
But single episodes like what you described are not that common for me.

bread's done
Back