Minecraft - 50% off during Alpha Prerelease (9.95 euro)

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Minecraft's paid version is currently 50% off for the alpha version. In this case Alpha means constantly updated, stable single player, with somewhat less stable multiplayer.

The game is AWESOME.

There's a free version of the classic, but the Alpha really makes it fun by including a day/night cycle and monsters at night

Get it here

Fan-made trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
solid game, I guess if this gets it more publicity although it's been at this price forever.. but yeah I'll give props to a fun game getting the dev rich!!!

This game is crack .... seriously ... can not .. sleep ... must mine

I know it will wear off eventually ... but don't judge it by the graphics ... it will consume you

Oh ... and the Classic version that is free on the website is nothing like the Alpha ... so you won't really 'play' the game until you buy it, as the Alpha has far more rules, you craft things, you hunt, you run from mobs, etc. Classic is more like a creative, free build mode.

And if the heavily pixelated graphics are keeping you away, there are easily found 'texture packs' that improve the look of the blocks somewhat.

I haven't played this game yet, but I'm sure with the amount of attention it's getting that it will be on steam soon enough. That's when I'll buy it :)

[quote name='Xenogears']HAHAHA! You just sold me the game

Have a dumb question though. If i buy this alpha version, it includes access to beta, and any other future versions of the game right? Also, big chance that my save's will be useless and lost with future updates?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you will get access to all subsequent versions.

And yes, there is a chance (albeit a small one) that your saves will get lost in the shuffle later on.

Not really a fan of this game. Big sandbox with very little to do unless you want to play legos without playing with real legos.

Plus, the night time in the survival mode is just silly. Bury yourself and walk away for a while because you can't see crap.

I think you're missing the point. Night time makes the tension in the game. you have to do stuff during the day so you can cower in your, hopefully, secure hovel until the next day, slowly making a better and better home and building up your arsenal.

If you're suggesting Minecraft's awful combat or monsters provoke tension, you have awfully low standards for what constitutes tension.

Bought this a few days ago (at the time of purchase, 10 euro was like $14). Fun game, kinda addictive.

Night time with all the enemies out and about and you can't see kinda forces you to either work on your house from indoors, do craft chores like smelting, or go mining. Personally I like to explore outside during the day, kill some livestock, maybe find a new place to mine, and during the night I stay underground mining.

I got this game recently and its addicting. This game has made me jump few times...when a monster attacks out of nowhere or an eerie sound plays suddenly. I still need to find a place for my HQ home.

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you're suggesting Minecraft's awful combat or monsters provoke tension, you have awfully low standards for what constitutes tension.[/QUOTE]

And you have no imagination, good sir!

[quote name='Camwi']And you have no imagination, good sir![/QUOTE]
Oh, but I do. It's a far better sandbox than Minecraft.

It's been 50% off since it's initial release. It will continue to be 50% off until it becomes "Beta". Once it's in Beta then it becomes normal price.

I can't recommend Minecraft enough, although I could easily see how it's not for everyone. And as mentioned in another post, Alpha is nothing like Classic, so you can't really try it out before buying it.
But if you enjoy a game that has no predefined goals and leaves you to wander and build nearly anything in a big, unexplored world, you'll probably like this. However, I can easily see that growing boring for some. The game literally drops you into a big, somewhat empty map and leaves you with no idea as to what you're supposed to be doing. Also, the survival/combat aspect isn't particularly difficult. Basically, worst comes to worst, you hide in a hole until the sun comes up.
I'd still recommend it, although it's too bad you can't try a demo of Alpha.

Notch (Creator of Minecraft) also said if the game ever gets put up on steam all buyers off his site will get a free key.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Oh, but I do. It's a far better sandbox than Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

Then put your imagination to code. The code monkey behind Minecraft is pulling in 6 figures a day. GO GO GO!

[quote name='RollingSkull']Oh, but I do. It's a far better sandbox than Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

Touché.

The game is surprisingly deep and the beauty is that it's an evolving product with new additions being made frequently. I just found a natural underground stream and lava flow in the same area, so I plan to start mining obsidian. Eventually I cam set up a mine cart system to get everything to the surface. Obsidian is one of the rarest elements in the game because you have to create it by mixing water and lava and then mine it without falling into the lava or dropping the chunks in. Good times ...

[quote name='RollingSkull']Not really a fan of this game. Big sandbox with very little to do unless you want to play legos without playing with real legos.

Plus, the night time in the survival mode is just silly. Bury yourself and walk away for a while because you can't see crap.[/QUOTE]

I bet you were the kind of kid to pull out your dick and piss in the swimming pool while others were using it.

BTW, you want to see at night? Torches.

[quote name='legendarydogs']This is confusing, the game is already 50% off because it is in alpha, but now it is getting another 50% off.[/QUOTE]

No. I was just pointing out that it's 50% off cos it's a great game and has been getting lots of publicity elsewhere, but there was no post on here about it.

I bought it the other day. It's about $14 USD if that wasn't mentioned yet. It's an insanely addictive game. In fact, I don't even play multiplayer on it but I bought it just because I liked the free version so much.

[quote name='aznguyen316']solid game, I guess if this gets it more publicity although it's been at this price forever.. but yeah I'll give props to a fun game getting the dev rich!!![/QUOTE]

It gets tons of publicity. For example, look at the stats page. 9,000 copies sold in the last 24 hours.

Got addicted from a co-worker, wish multiplayer will remove the invincibility health so it can be more dangerous. Been getting a lot of weird dreams, now I build grids for my castle and actually design floor maps and room dimensions. I don't know what this is turning me into.

Probably the best indie game I've ever played. I'm currently building a castle embedded in a mountain. So far I have 2 waterfalls running down the sides of the mountains creating a moat. ITS GONNA BE AWESOME!

Does this game have a discussion section on CAG? Also, can people host games in multiplayer, I haven't tried it but it would be awesome to have a CAG server. I predict this game is only going to get bigger and more popular as it moves into Beta and a final product.

there's a windows logo for the thread.
just thought i'd mention that only java is required and minecraft runs in linux, etc.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I bet you were the kind of kid to pull out your dick and piss in the swimming pool while others were using it.

BTW, you want to see at night? Torches.[/QUOTE]

Oh man that is just funny! Still- its ok to hear if somebody didn't like the game!

Yeah ... so ... when creating a lava pit in order to farm obsidian, be sure not to step backwards into said pit wearing all your gear and carrying 2 hours worth of iron, 5 diamonds and a bunch of other stuff.

Just a pro-tip there folks ...

... I've passed up tons of Obsidian then. I thought those blocks were the 'bottom of the world', so to speak...but I've run into the grates as well. If it takes 15 minutes to mine and it can't make anything yet, however, then I'm kinda glad I didn't. =X I'd hate for all that effort to be destroyed in a possible future update.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']It gets tons of publicity. For example, look at the stats page. 9,000 copies sold in the last 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

I meant among the CAG's. I didn't think this was a "deal" so to speak only because it's never been any more expensive, but giving the thread reps cuz it will (and has) gotten other CAGs in on the game =)

btw that fire video was hilarious

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Yo ectrane...

If you're fast enough and know exactly where you died, you can recover most (if not all) of your items.[/QUOTE]

I think that if you fall into lava all of your stuff gets lost

Lava isn't instant death so you can get out of it before total annihilation.

Also you can crouch (by holding shift) and you'll end up past the block but still able to place blocks. It works great for when you're up high.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Lava isn't instant death so you can get out of it before total annihilation.

Also you can crouch (by holding shift) and you'll end up past the block but still able to place blocks. It works great for when you're up high.[/QUOTE]

And you can't fall! :lol:

I highly recommend starting out on Peaceful difficulty until you get a good, solid grasp. If you die, you lose/drop everything you had on you at the time. You keep anything you had stored in a chest. Peaceful takes away monsters and adds health regen.

I still haven't bought it, but my brother did. I'm not sure yet if I'd enjoy it enough. My main qualm is that you can't find your "home" easily if it isn't at your starting point (where your compass aims, constantly). Maybe I want to build a fortress on a peak. >_> -- It'd probably be easier on a full fledged PC, but I play on a netbook, so I play with the fog/viewing space on Small or Tiny. Plays well with no hiccups, though.

Yeah, the worst part was that I was actually building my own lava pit on the surface, using a bucket of lava, and was hopping around it trying to set up my water source and accidentally fell into the pit I created, which was too deep to get out from before I died ;)

And yeah, lava destroys everything you have when it kills you.

Oh, and a real tip for obsidian mining ... use a diamond pick and it takes 15 seconds per obsidian block. The key is to make sure your obsidian isn't sitting over lava though, otherwise it will fall into the lava and your effort will be wasted on mining it. Hence, why I was attempting a surface obsidian farm .. oh well, another day ;)

Obsidian mining can only be done via a diamond pick. There is currently 0 value to having obsidian unless you want to have a home made of it.

[quote name='Rhett']And you can't fall! :lol:

I highly recommend starting out on Peaceful difficulty until you get a good, solid grasp. If you die, you lose/drop everything you had on you at the time. You keep anything you had stored in a chest. Peaceful takes away monsters and adds health regen.

I still haven't bought it, but my brother did. I'm not sure yet if I'd enjoy it enough. My main qualm is that you can't find your "home" easily if it isn't at your starting point (where your compass aims, constantly). Maybe I want to build a fortress on a peak. >_> -- It'd probably be easier on a full fledged PC, but I play on a netbook, so I play with the fog/viewing space on Small or Tiny. Plays well with no hiccups, though.[/QUOTE]

MineEdit or other programs can be used if you want to reset/change your spawn point. I didn't for my main game, instead I just built a ridiculously tall tower with torches and a bridge to my spawn point.

So is this game worth picking up ? Secondly, I have a laptop with 3 gbs of ram and some crappy graphics card, can it run this ?

[quote name='Poorleno']So is this game worth picking up ? Secondly, I have a laptop with 3 gbs of ram and some crappy graphics card, can it run this ?[/QUOTE]

lmao hahahaha anything could run this.

bread's done
Back