Minecraft - 50% off during Alpha Prerelease (9.95 euro)

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Minecraft's paid version is currently 50% off for the alpha version. In this case Alpha means constantly updated, stable single player, with somewhat less stable multiplayer.

The game is AWESOME.

There's a free version of the classic, but the Alpha really makes it fun by including a day/night cycle and monsters at night

Get it here

Fan-made trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
You can kill hours just cave exploring and constructing stairs and ladders to better navigate the caves. I Just recently got deep enough that I found some diamonds :cool:

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you're suggesting Minecraft's awful combat or monsters provoke tension, you have awfully low standards for what constitutes tension.[/QUOTE]

You do a lot of pooping on games that other people like. There is such a thing as being too picky.

[quote name='eastx']You do a lot of pooping on games that other people like. There is such a thing as being too picky.[/QUOTE]
I share my opinions. Shame nobody ever notices the games a person says nice things about, but I guess there are just some things you can't change.

But the monsters do provoke tension when they are chasing you or sneak up on you while you're mining ... especially the creepers since they can potentially sneak up on you and explode.

Sure the fighting mechanics are weak, but you need to actually play the game before you knock it for having no tension. And if you have played it, you can't tell me that there isn't any tension in the game when it's dark and a monster sneaks up on you.

[quote name='etcrane']But the monsters do provoke tension when they are chasing you or sneak up on you while you're mining ... especially the creepers since they can potentially sneak up on you and explode.

Sure the fighting mechanics are weak, but you need to actually play the game before you knock it for having no tension. And if you have played it, you can't tell me that there isn't any tension in the game when it's dark and a monster sneaks up on you.[/QUOTE]

Having a nigh-insta kill bomb just randomly appear behind you is always an OH CRAP moment but I'd still put it around the level of an elite on Halo Legendary finally deciding to stop playing tacticool, realize how much more powerful than you he is, and come around the corner to smack your crap up.

I think I got off on the wrong idea arguing about tension when it comes to Minecraft as it doesn't directly relate to the game's quality.

It's not survival horror but for $13 it's pretty addicting as a building sim that gives you quite a bit of freedom, perhaps at the cost of graphical quality. I think the best thing Minecraft has going for it right now is it's tremendous potential.

And the fact that paying $13 now guarantees you a free pass for whatever it eventually evolves into, since it's only in Alpha, seems like a pretty sweet deal. There's no question with the amount of money this guy is bringing in right now that the final product will cost more than $13 and be a higher quality offering than what we're playing with now. The great part about this deal is that RIGHT NOW it's still an incredibly fun game to play on a casual basis, even if it is rough around the edges ... not to mention, you can play anywhere on just about any system w/o having to install a client.

When people are downing Minecraft and using Halo as an example of quality gaming, i can do nothing but facepalm.

yes, some people love halo, and that's fine. some people also love nickelback.

[quote name='etcrane']Can't wait for the update on October 31st.[/QUOTE]
Though its going to suck when Torches don't burn forever as I'm sure the lantern will require much rarer materials to construct.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Though its going to suck when Torches don't burn forever as I'm sure the lantern will require much rarer materials to construct.[/QUOTE]

Agreed ... though I heard a rumor that existing torches will be converted into lanterns ... not sure if that's true. A couple people were talking about creating torch farms prior to the 31st ;).

Actually, I've found that using the flint and steel with a block of wood surrounded by dirt or stone, you can make a firepit that won't go out either. Not sure if that's a glitch, but mine have been burning for days without needing replacement.

[quote name='etcrane']It's not survival horror but for $13 it's pretty addicting as a building sim that gives you quite a bit of freedom, perhaps at the cost of graphical quality. I think the best thing Minecraft has going for it right now is it's tremendous potential.

And the fact that paying $13 now guarantees you a free pass for whatever it eventually evolves into, since it's only in Alpha, seems like a pretty sweet deal. There's no question with the amount of money this guy is bringing in right now that the final product will cost more than $13 and be a higher quality offering than what we're playing with now. The great part about this deal is that RIGHT NOW it's still an incredibly fun game to play on a casual basis, even if it is rough around the edges ... not to mention, you can play anywhere on just about any system w/o having to install a client.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Consider it a 50% preorder price (paid in full) except you get to play the game right now, and it's already a lot of fun.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Though its going to suck when Torches don't burn forever as I'm sure the lantern will require much rarer materials to construct.[/QUOTE]

This is why you should just make a shit ton of torches so when the update comes out they become lanterns

bread's done
Back