Minecraft Xbox edition refund for SDTV owners

I contacted support and they said if you receive a refund and continue to play the game, it would be considered Marketplace theft because they can't remove the license. You'd have to re-buy it.

With this being the number 1 selling XBLA game, I'm sure they will be monitoring who is playing it after getting a refund.

[quote name='cin84_12']I contacted support and they said if you receive a refund and continue to play the game, it would be considered Marketplace theft because they can't remove the license. You'd have to re-buy it.[/QUOTE]

I assume your account could get banned if you continued to play it online?

Thats Balls.

[quote name='sgand']With this being the number 1 selling XBLA game, I'm sure they will be monitoring who is playing it after getting a refund.[/QUOTE]

Considering it would be as simple as running your username through a computer that monitors activity, yeah, they very well might.

If 20.00 is worth potentially getting your account banned, lie and get a refund, otherwise I don't think I'd risk it.

I am not going to try it, but wanted to put the carrot out there for some of the braver risk takers around here so they could test the waters for the rest of us, but like the above guy said, 20 bucks for a banned account, no thanks.

I highly doubt they're gonna bother banning an account over a $20 game. Couldn't they just remove the content licenses off your account and Xbox 360 so you can't play anymore?

[quote name='MrPiggles']I highly doubt they're gonna bother banning an account over a $20 game. Couldn't they just remove the content licenses off your account and Xbox 360 so you can't play anymore?[/QUOTE]

Untitled.jpg

[quote name='cin84_12']
Untitled.jpg
[/QUOTE]

But the real question is, how will you purchase it again? If they can't take it off your account, then you can't re-purchase it. This just sounds like Support chat trying to scare you into not playing it, or the guy's just incompetent. There really is no reason they'll ban your account over a $20 game that wasn't even your fault anyway

i dont think they would put you in a position where you could get easily banned, if anything they should just remove it from ur account, even if the data is installed on ur hard drive, you shouldn't be able to play it if you don't have permission to, i know this is true for certain DLCs since I wasnt able to play some Dance Central DLC on my brothers account even though i downloaded them

[quote name='ZForce915']Here is the bottom line guys, if you lie to get your $20 you deserve to be banned.

End of story.[/QUOTE]

This. There is no reason anyone should be trying to get this or really any game for free by lying & technically stealing from the company.

[quote name='No121Else']This. There is no reason anyone should be trying to get this or really any game for free by lying & technically stealing from the company.[/QUOTE]

How would it be stealing. Was any physical item stolen?

[quote name='tcbys']How would it be stealing. Was any physical item stolen?[/QUOTE]

It's still stealing...like you get your money back because you didn't like the purchased item...but instead of returning the said item you keep both the money and the item...doesn't matter if physical or not...

[quote name='tcbys']How would it be stealing. Was any physical item stolen?[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

Moving back to the original dilemma, what would they precisely do if someone continued to play the game after receiving the refund? Remember that I obviously support the notion of theft in this case (and I don't even own the game) but I'm simply slightly curious as to the repercussions, if any as a result of this.

Also, why couldn't they simply revoke the license for the game, it would be much, much simpler to do so than to stalk every single refunded customer's activities...

This stuff is way too complicated! :lol:

Derpiest comment of the day folks!

[quote name='DntMessWitRohan']

Also, why couldn't they simply revoke the license for the game, it would be much, much simpler to do so than to stalk every single refunded customer's activities...

This stuff is way too complicated! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, apparently the licenses are on your HDD so they can't really remove them without making you do it for them or something.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']It's still stealing...like you get your money back because you didn't like the purchased item...but instead of returning the said item you keep both the money and the item...doesn't matter if physical or not...[/QUOTE]

Your referencing something of a physical item. This is a digital item something that cannot be stolen.

[quote name='tcbys']Your referencing something of a physical item. This is a digital item something that cannot be stolen.[/QUOTE]

150px-Copyright.svg.png

Even ideas could be stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tcbys']Now your going off topic to copyright areas.[/QUOTE]

Just saying that just because it isn't a physical item does not mean it can't be stolen.

[quote name='Chcuck57841']Just saying that just because it isn't a physical item does not mean it can't be stolen.[/QUOTE]

So tell me what would be stolen in this case.

[quote name='tcbys']So tell me what would be stolen in this case.[/QUOTE]

The game. True it is digital and therefore nothing was "taken", but la lot of money is put into the development of the game and the distribution of it. Even the3 single download you made costs money. So, you could say your stealing money from the developers and others connected to making money from Minecraft.

[quote name='Chcuck57841']Derpiest comment of the day folks!

Well, apparently the licenses are on your HDD so they can't really remove them without making you do it for them or something.[/QUOTE]

I was under the assumption that there would be a method of revoking a license tied to the account itself (obviously not the one tied to the Xbox), so that if it ever tried to go online using that license, he/she wouldn't be able to play the game using it.

Now if he/she simply used another account to do the same, that would be a whole different matter and I guess this is the reason why Xbox doesn't generally hand out refunds.

yeah you're totally right -- everyone should get their refund and keep playing, and if MS bans them, sue them because you'll totally win.

I'm just curious about how you would actually accomplish buying the game again. Assuming you were completely honest and legitimately got a refund because the game was unplayable on your tv, then got a nice shiny Sony 3d 26" display at Best Buy for $50 on clearance (because you know it's gonna happen...)...

How do you re-buy the game?

Edit: By the way, if I could download a Ferrari... I'd download the yellow one.

[quote name='tcbys']Your referencing something of a physical item. This is a digital item something that cannot be stolen.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe we still get these schoolyard logic comments.

But whatever, even if you were 100% right it would still be fraud - does that make you feel better?

I wanna see this guy Use that line on the FBI after he gets busted downloading movies and such..

Bitch please, when you buy a digital item your not paying for software, youre paying for the licence to use it..

Tell ya what man, how bout you spend a year or two of your life, time, and money making a digital game, and then we'll all go, um, "make copies" of it since that's technically not stealing. It not like your time and art has any value, right?

So, in that case post your SSN, DoB, etc.... Since you have the physical papers they obviously can not be stolen then, along with the identity they are tied to.

The magnetic strip on your credit card only stores digital information, so I'm sure you won't mind if I make a copy of it and all of your personal details too, and PIN number, DOB, etc.

What? They aren't physical items, so I'm not stealing.

So that's why every Marketplace item is marked "There are no refunds for this item". They can very well give the MSP back, but they can't revoke the license on the console to prevent you from playing a game you didn't pay for.

Back on topic.

If they refund you how would you rebuy the game again? If they cant remove the game licance from your account how do you re buy?

[quote name='DntMessWitRohan']*sigh*

Moving back to the original dilemma, what would they precisely do if someone continued to play the game after receiving the refund? Remember that I obviously support the notion of theft in this case (and I don't even own the game) but I'm simply slightly curious as to the repercussions, if any as a result of this.

This stuff is way too complicated! :lol:[/QUOTE]
more money they get when console ban comes nov?

[quote name='tcbys']Back on topic.

If they refund you how would you rebuy the game again? If they cant remove the game licance from your account how do you re buy?[/QUOTE]

Despite the gesture of offering a refund, it seems like Microsoft ignored the situation they created. If you purchased the game and received a refund, you have in your possession a game you did not pay for but a license that is still valid, preventing you from buying another copy and from ever legally playing it again.

I think the best (only) course of action is to simply not opt for a refund, because if you enjoy playing Minecraft on the 360, you're going to catapult yourself into a ban requesting a refund if you intend to play it afterward.

At any rate, what's the point of getting a refund and wanting to buy it again? Makes exactly zero sense and you've caused some poor support technician the trouble of crediting you 1600 MSP for absolutely no reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mobius Evalon']Despite the gesture of offering a refund, it seems like Microsoft ignored the situation they created. If you purchased the game and received a refund, you have in your possession a game you did not pay for but a license that is still valid, preventing you from buying another copy and from ever legally playing it again.

I think the best (only) course of action is to simply not opt for a refund, because if you enjoy playing Minecraft on the 360, you're going to catapult yourself into a ban requesting a refund if you intend to play it afterward.

At any rate, what's the point of getting a refund and wanting to buy it again? Makes exactly zero sense and you've caused some poor support technician the trouble of crediting you 1600 MSP for absolutely no reason.[/QUOTE]

I would not want to do the refund. Also whats stopping people from getting the refund and just playing Minecraft offline.

I got my game from the raptr giveaway. Id rather play MC on the PC TBH.

[quote name='tcbys']
If they refund you how would you rebuy the game again? If they cant remove the game licance from your account how do you re buy?[/QUOTE]

This is actually a great question.

I think that the MS service rep either doesn't know what they were talking about or was told to read that script to try and scare those few that would try and game the system.

Because once you buy something, it will forever say "ALREADY PURCHASED" on your account.

So unless they can take that back, and hence take away your license, I don't see how you could repurchase the game under the same account. You'd have to create another account and buy it again that way.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']This is actually a great question.

I think that the MS service rep either doesn't know what they were talking about or was told to read that script to try and scare those few that would try and game the system.

Because once you buy something, it will forever say "ALREADY PURCHASED" on your account.

So unless they can take that back, and hence take away your license, I don't see how you could repurchase the game under the same account. You'd have to create another account and buy it again that way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. There's no way Microsoft is gonna risk the bad PR and losing potential customers just for $20 that they wouldn't even get back anyway. There's no way they're gonna give out bannings, and I doubt they even really care.

Why are we still arguing about this? Who cares? It's a non issue unless you're trying to weigh the options on if $20 is worth a possible ban.

And for the record, go fuck yourself if you lie to get a refund.

There is an amazing invention called a "demo" so people can decide whether to purchase a game or not. You should give it a try sometime.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']This is great for people like me who bought into the hype and purchased the game and didn't enjoy it one bit.

Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

This is a mess and really on the technical side. If you get a refund, you supposedly get banned. However, I will tell you this. I filed a dispute for Sonic EP 1 months back because somehow it got purchased and I was not home at the time. My account hadn't been hacked or anything, only thing I can think of is the dog turned on the xbox and hit the a button to purchase it for me (lol). I got refunded, still played the game and nothing has happened. I think they are doing it more as a scare tactic. There is no possible way for you to purchase Minecraft again, just like there is no way for them to remove it from your download history.

bread's done
Back