Mini DV Camcorder

karmapolice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I am planning on buying one in the next couple days, but searching for one is giving me a headache. I want to make some indy films, but im only 17 so I dont have much cash. If anyone has one or a recomendation, I would greatly apreciate it!

~My limit is $400 TOPS I would rather spend around $300
~I was looking at Canon but not sure
~Need a Mac compatible one

Thanks!

I got an open box at Best Buy about a year and a half ago. 300 bux. JVC GR-D30U. Open box is only suppossed to be like 10 % off but for some reason it was 100 bux off. SO I bought a four year warranty, for like 80 bux. I have a feeling something will go wrong with it within two years. That might be your best bet. Look for open box stuff.

Id like to add that I just need something with good to great audio and video, and a decent zoom. I can do special effects and such with final cut or imovie.

stripespbj- I will be on the look-out for open box stuff

Are you planning to make Independent films and submit them to festivals or just for fun? If you plan to submit them then you will need a better camera.

$300 for a camcorder is good for practicing on, though.

I dont plan to submit them yet. This is mostly for fun right now. My friends and I do plan on making indy films when we get more money.

I was looking at the Canon Elura line, but im just not very up with camcorders. I know camera's and such but not camcorders. The ZR's just looked like cheaper versions of the Elura series.

Keep sugestions a comming! Thanks!

Check out the Canon ZR400. It has pretty good image quality and you can find it online for $435-$460. It has a better vid quality than most in this price range and it has a 16x9 Widescreen mode.

First of all, might I suggest www.dealcam.com? It's got a good listing of digital camcorders and their prices, and you could find what you're looking for pretty easily there.

As for personal preference, I highly recommend the Sony DCR-HC20. It's a little older model (the newest model is the HC21), but it's very feature-rich, easy to use, and Mac compatible. I've already done some editing on iMovie and it turned out great. The video quality really is nothing short of incredible.

Also, if you're lucky, you can find it on clearance for around $300. I was fortunate enough to get mine brand new from Wal-Mart whenever the HC21s were released. It was the last one, and it was tagged at the same price as the HC21 ($399). I asked the lady behind the counter why an older model was priced at the same price as the newer model, and she offered it to me for 30% off. It was a steal at $279. Even if you don't find it that cheap anywhere, the HC21 is great too for $399. That was your price ceiling, right?

Anyway, good luck with your purchase!

Make sure you get a camcorder with a mic input. I didn't think I would need one, but when you're trying to do an interview on a windy day, it just doesn't work out. I know that was one of my biggest mistakes.

http://everyprice.com/item.asp?item_Id=22240&101112G

I recomend this one I know its a lil over your top price but its the cheapest 3ccd
camera on the market and it also shoots in a true 16:9 . it doesnt expand (distort) the pic to get a fake 16:9 aspect. usually a 3ccd camera costs for about 2 grand used . 3ccd means it has 3 color chip devices so that means red green and blue get there own lense for true color kinda like HDTV 's separate the signals for truer color hope this helps

bread's done
Back