Mirrormask $4.99 on amazon with free SS shipping

von551

CAGiversary!
One of those movies you've probably never seen, but have to. Written and Directed by Neil Gaiman (Beowulf) and in cooperation with The Jim Henson Company about a girl's imagination taking her to a fantasy world, not unlike movies like Pan's Labyrinth, Never Ending Story, The Fall, James and the Giant Peach, etc., or books like the Phantom Tollbooth. This movie has great visuals and a pretty unique rhythm to it, I've watched it on my PSP and have been waiting for it to get cheap so I can enjoy it in full size. If you like movies with a big imagination, great art and fantasmal worlds, this movie is for you. Check it here...

512BS13XW3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

i saw this in theaters! (probably one of 5000 people who did)...

it's good in a very strange way... not as much like the labyrinth as one might think (given the general plot and involvement of henson's company.) it's more similar to something like "the fall", another great movie.

To each his own, but I found this movie to be absolutely horrible -- sure, it has some amazing visual creativity but the storyline lacks any sense of clarity, and while I'm for artistic impression, this movie reeks of artistry of the worst kind: that of deliberate esoteric allegory meant more to create a facade of sophistication. This film is not a mind over matter piece, but it tries to be -- and in most cases, that type of forced expository fails -- this one is a prime example.

Great deal OP!

[quote name='eastx']This is one of my favorite movies. I watch it every few months and can't wait for the Blu-Ray.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on the BD!

This is a wonderful movie for kids and adults alike. A great little film that never gained in popularity.

FYI - this movie is coming out on Blu-Ray pretty soon. But for $5, I would just snag the DVD.

[quote name='romeogbs19']To each his own, but I found this movie to be absolutely horrible -- sure, it has some amazing visual creativity but the storyline lacks any sense of clarity, and while I'm for artistic impression, this movie reeks of artistry of the worst kind: that of deliberate esoteric allegory meant more to create a facade of sophistication. This film is not a mind over matter piece, but it tries to be -- and in most cases, that type of forced expository fails -- this one is a prime example.[/quote]

wow, sounds like a movie snob to me. What, then, would you recommend as a great movie in this genre in your expert opinion?

Went back up to $9.50. I got this for umd but still haven't watched it yet. That Jim Henson Collection is a good price if you're still looking to get it on dvd and don't have those other movies.

[quote name='foundation']I bit entirely on your recommendation. Here's to good faith in your fellow man. :)[/QUOTE]

Recommendation seconded. Amazing movie.

I also saw this in theaters. Had to go to New York to do it (I'm in Georgia), but definitely a fun film.

[quote name='von551']wow, sounds like a movie snob to me. What, then, would you recommend as a great movie in this genre in your expert opinion?[/QUOTE]

What? I definitely am not. In fact, I was thinking only movie snobs could like a film as esoteric as this.

And honestly, I'm hardly in the minority on this film. Rotten Tomatoes has this scored at 55% rotten; and only 44% of top critics had anything positive to say about it.

Listen, I get that it's visually stunning -- but last time I checked a movie needs to tell a good, coherent story. This one fails miserably in that department, and among critics, I'm actually in the majority.

[quote name='romeogbs19']What? I definitely am not. In fact, I was thinking only movie snobs could like a film as esoteric as this.

And honestly, I'm hardly in the minority on this film. Rotten Tomatoes has this scored at 55% rotten; and only 44% of top critics had anything positive to say about it.

Listen, I get that it's visually stunning -- but last time I checked a movie needs to tell a good, coherent story. This one fails miserably in that department, and among critics, I'm actually in the majority.[/quote]

ok, ok, with all those pretentious words being thrown around, i thought that. seriously, which movies would you recommend better than this one? i love this genre, didn't care for pan's too much though..

[quote name='von551']ok, ok, with all those pretentious words being thrown around, i thought that. seriously, which movies would you recommend better than this one? i love this genre, didn't care for pan's too much though..[/QUOTE]

Well, first of all, I'm no expert -- never said I was -- I just didn't like the film. That's why I said, "to each his own..."

If you're talking about general fantasy, I think there are dozens of movies better than this (though admittedly, not similar in execution). I concede that Mirrormask is unique in what it tries to do -- though as I said, I don't think it told much of a story.

I think Big Fish, the Dark Crystal, Spirited Away, and even the Never-ending Story is leaps and bounds better than this. I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth too much, either, but that might just be because it's such a tragic, sad ending. As a storyline, Pan's is far better executed.

Von: Two more movies to check out in this vein if you haven't yet:

Legend (Tom Cruise and Tim Curry)
The City Of Lost Children (Ron Perlman)

TCOLC is (to me) the best movie ever made. Ever. I can only recommend watching it in French, though, I haven't watched it with the English dub yet.

[quote name='Kerig']Von: Two more movies to check out in this vein if you haven't yet:

Legend (Tom Cruise and Tim Curry)
The City Of Lost Children (Ron Perlman)

TCOLC is (to me) the best movie ever made. Ever. I can only recommend watching it in French, though, I haven't watched it with the English dub yet.[/quote]

cool, thanks, i'll give them a spin on netflix.

romeo: couldn't even sit through dark crystal or labarynth, but will give spirited away a rent. thanks.

I didn't really like The City of Lost Children. The visuals and setting are cool, but the story made little sense and wasn't enjoyable.

And damn them for deleting posts!

[quote name='eastx']I didn't really like The City of Lost Children. The visuals and setting are cool, but the story made little sense and wasn't enjoyable.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how I feel about a lot of films in this category. Legend looks cool and all, but bleh on story.

I think Miyazaki pretty much owns this territory right now. Sure, a lot of it is for kids, but most are excellent and coherent (though I didn't like Mononoke that much)...

Hey, anyone see Stardust? Was that any good?

[quote name='wildnuts02']is this the movie with that random david bowie appearance?? lol[/quote]
Mirrormask: no
Labyrinth: he plays a major part

i got mine last friday, just watched it and forgot how good it is. looks way better on a full size tv. great movie. anyone watch it for the first time yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I watched this last weekend on recommendation from one of our friends and we couldn't believe how bad it was. The upside was that is was a fun running joke for the next couple of days.

As for the person who asked about Stardust, that is a really good movie. My wife absolutely loves it and I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to.

[quote name='merlin48']My wife and I watched this last weekend on recommendation from one of our friends and we couldn't believe how bad it was. The upside was that is was a fun running joke for the next couple of days.

As for the person who asked about Stardust, that is a really good movie. My wife absolutely loves it and I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to.[/QUOTE]

stardust is much more in the vein of the princess bride... one wouldn't really expect one to like mirrormask just because they liked stardust (despite neil gaimen's having written both of them).

if you liked labyrinth, you will probably like mirrormask (unless you are expecting musical sequences).
if you liked the princess bride, you will more than likely enjoy stardust.
if you liked pan's labyrinth, you will probably enjoy the fall.

[quote name='zenintrude']stardust is much more in the vein of the princess bride... one wouldn't really expect one to like mirrormask just because they liked stardust (despite neil gaimen's having written both of them).

if you liked labyrinth, you will probably like mirrormask (unless you are expecting musical sequences).
if you liked the princess bride, you will more than likely enjoy stardust.
if you liked pan's labyrinth, you will probably enjoy the fall.[/quote]

hate labyrinth and pan's labyrinth was just ok, but love mirrormask and the fall's even better. princess bride of course is amazing...

[quote name='merlin48']My wife and I watched this last weekend on recommendation from one of our friends and we couldn't believe how bad it was. The upside was that is was a fun running joke for the next couple of days.

As for the person who asked about Stardust, that is a really good movie. My wife absolutely loves it and I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to.[/QUOTE]

Thx re: Stardust.

As for Mirrormask, that's pretty much my feeling on it (as already expressed in my prior post). There are ppl who clearly feel differently about that opinion, but it's my position that the movie is bad -- it has its visual charms but for telling a story, it's -- well -- terrible.

[quote name='romeogbs19']As for Mirrormask, that's pretty much my feeling on it (as already expressed in my prior post). There are ppl who clearly feel differently about that opinion, but it's my position that the movie is bad -- it has its visual charms but for telling a story, it's -- well -- terrible.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I felt about it too.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Thx re: Stardust.

As for Mirrormask, that's pretty much my feeling on it (as already expressed in my prior post). There are ppl who clearly feel differently about that opinion, but it's my position that the movie is bad -- it has its visual charms but for telling a story, it's -- well -- terrible.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I felt about Mirrormask too.

bread's done
Back