MKDS - 150cc on WFC :(

FOnewearl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Has anyone else seen this yet? I raced a guy the other night that was clearly faster then me and he was using the same kart as me. I read about this online somewhere afew weeks ago but didn't know if it was true but after racing this guy I'm sure it is. I just hope that it dosen't become widespread on WFC.

Also it's not a case of him snaking/mini-turbo-ing and getting ahead as it was clear that he wasen't just getting in afew more MTs to get ahead with as far ahead as he was able to get.

I've seen what appears to be someone going alot faster than me, which of course ones natural reaction is HE'S CHEATING OMG!

However, i think the more likely explantaion is that we just suck.

Learn to snake... no, wait, learn to play the game well and then learn to snake, and then if people are going faster than you start digging into what might be wrong.

Snaking my friend is SOMETIMES the issue, but I've seen it too where people are clearly cheating, so yes I feel for you, BUT I have a solution!

It's risky, but if your in the first race and you notice that cheating right away, quit (by that I mean turn your DS off). Yes, you may get a lose, but I've seen it where the DS doesn't have enough time to register a win/lose situation when 1 race isn't done, so nothing happens and my record didn't change.

Just a solution if you really don't want to play with a cheater.

I was actually playing a guy a couple nights ago, and he would get ahead, and whenever I would catch up, he would slam the brakes (or seemed to anyway) and sure enough I'd get a red shell to the rear. And this happened like 6 or 7 times......in row......within the span of like half a lap on Yoshi's Circuit.
Not to mention his seemingly impossible retrieval of bombs at perfect points in the race.

Also, what is up with that shortcut in Yoshi Circuit, at the very beginning when you hop the gap. It looks like people fail the jump, but end up quickly on the other side. Is this just lag? or is there some trick?

[quote name='p00p']I was actually playing a guy a couple nights ago, and he would get ahead, and whenever I would catch up, he would slam the brakes (or seemed to anyway) and sure enough I'd get a red shell to the rear. And this happened like 6 or 7 times......in row......within the span of like half a lap on Yoshi's Circuit.
Not to mention his seemingly impossible retrieval of bombs at perfect points in the race.

Also, what is up with that shortcut in Yoshi Circuit, at the very beginning when you hop the gap. It looks like people fail the jump, but end up quickly on the other side. Is this just lag? or is there some trick?[/quote]

No lag, it's a glitch in the game. This happens in Sky Garden too when you take the cloud secret. Apparently the game thinks you fell off and will show that on the other person's screen, but when it goes past another point, the game realizes you didn't fall and puts you back on.

At first I thought it was a hacker, but then I saw people where saying it was happening when I did it, so it's just a glitch.

[quote name='.JPG']No lag, it's a glitch in the game. This happens in Sky Garden too when you take the cloud secret. Apparently the game thinks you fell off and will show that on the other person's screen, but when it goes past another point, the game realizes you didn't fall and puts you back on.

At first I thought it was a hacker, but then I saw people where saying it was happening when I did it, so it's just a glitch.[/QUOTE]
It actually is lag, or at least related to internet data transmission. The game is estimating where you're going over the internet and gets it wrong at times. The same thing can happen on the edges of any track. It's a problem that only occurs online and gets much worse the worse the connection is. Not a glitch, just a fact of life with any online game.

[quote name='uberzone']I've seen what appears to be someone going alot faster than me, which of course ones natural reaction is HE'S CHEATING OMG!

However, i think the more likely explantaion is that we just suck.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='daroga']Learn to snake... no, wait, learn to play the game well and then learn to snake, and then if people are going faster than you start digging into what might be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I can understand that the first thing your thinking is that I must be new to MKDS because I'm starting yet another cheating on WFC thread and that I probably have no idea what snaking is but as many people as I've had disconnect on me during a race I assure you I have somewhat of a grasp on what snaking is and how it's only helpful if your staying on track while snaking and not all other the place going off the track constently ;) Maybe we can race sometime and you guys can then decide if the problem is that I suck and need to learn how to snake and that's why this guy was able to beat me most races by a good margin even if I had a good race :D

[quote name='.JPG']Snaking my friend is SOMETIMES the issue, but I've seen it too where people are clearly cheating, so yes I feel for you, BUT I have a solution!

It's risky, but if your in the first race and you notice that cheating right away, quit (by that I mean turn your DS off). Yes, you may get a lose, but I've seen it where the DS doesn't have enough time to register a win/lose situation when 1 race isn't done, so nothing happens and my record didn't change.

Just a solution if you really don't want to play with a cheater.[/QUOTE]

I wasen't too worried about losing I actually figured if I'm gonna take a loss I'd go down fighting instead of disconnecting and figured I'd try my luck on beating or tying this guy (picking Sky Garden every race the 2nd time we played). I lost all four races the 1st time and the 2nd time I won 1 race on sky garden. I almost beat him on the 4th race on sky garden as I was lucky enough to hit the big short cut all 3 laps but he hit it on the 2nd and 3rd lap and used his last of 3 mushrooms on the cloud shortcut on the 3rd lap to pull ahead and take a close win. He was picking offline couarses also so he was definately playing on a flashlinker (or whatever they call the DS version of this)

I'll probably just disconnect if I run into this guy again ("tk" was his name) before the race even starts. I ran into him playing rivals.

I like trying to beat cheaters without cheating probably mostly thanks to Diablo II as I had a legit PvP Trapper that I was able to beat a fair amount of people wearing bugged gear with back in .09 it was funny with some of them that would complain as if you were cheating :)

[quote name='p00p']I was actually playing a guy a couple nights ago, and he would get ahead, and whenever I would catch up, he would slam the brakes (or seemed to anyway) and sure enough I'd get a red shell to the rear. And this happened like 6 or 7 times......in row......within the span of like half a lap on Yoshi's Circuit.
Not to mention his seemingly impossible retrieval of bombs at perfect points in the race.[/QUOTE]

I see this alot also where people will hit the brakes at the items any time they are right in front of you or behind you so that they may get a better item. While it's obviously not cheating I would consider this bad netiquette IMO if they constently do this especially the people that will start off Sky Garden and ride off the road in a 1 on 1 race and even sit idle and wait till you go first to be sure that they have a chance at getting mushrooms. I sometimes might hold a mini turbo or go easy as to see if someone will pass me so I get a better item but even in sky garden if they go as far as letting off the gas/riding off the track I'll usually let them get go second and hope that they fall off the track if they try the shortcut using the mushrooms :)

I feel like some of the people that do this do seem to have really good luck but I think part of it is that if they can keep up with you so that they are right behind you they can nurse a good item like a leader shell till the end of the race. For example if someone does this in a 1 on 1 race and gets a leaders shell they just about garentee that they are going to win if you can't pull a decent lead on them as the only items you can get in 2nd to surely counter the leader shell is a ghost or lighting bolt (both seem pretty rare to get in 2nd on 1 on 1 races to me) and I'm pretty sure that if one person has a leader shell and gets into first place that no one else in the race can get a leader shell

[quote name='vanillafire1000']You do know about drafting, right?[/QUOTE]

Yep I do and have noticed that if someone drafts by you that you can see and hear that they are drafting and can say for sure that this wasen't just a case of drafting.

[quote name='Snake2715']Could this be part of the problem?

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ds/100-mhz-nintendo-ds-160586.php[/QUOTE]

I'd think that if someone did that and then got on WiFi that it would act up somehow even it if was just lag. The game played fine when I raced this guy.

I've seen some goofy stuff before also. I was racing a guy and afew weeks ago and must have been dealing with some really bad lag. Races would sit idle for about 15 seconds before races, red shells rarely worked for either of us and it would tell me I was in first and I'd see him behind me but he was really ahead of me, good old fashioned desync :)

bread's done
Back