MLB 11: The Show - March 8 - Analog Controls, Co-op, RttS 5.0, & More - Demo Out 2/22

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...id/5922458/show-first-look?readmore=fullstory

Sony Brian Wilson's trademark beard (and celebration) have made it into "MLB 11: The Show."

Fear the beard.

That's the rallying cry that led the Giants to their first World Series title since moving to San Francisco. And as a guy who grew up going to games at Candlestick with his dad, the virtual collection of misfits and, more importantly, champions, was the first thing I wanted to see when I turned on "MLB 11: The Show."

And I wasn't disappointed.

From Brian Wilson crossing his arms into an X and pointing to the sky in celebration after a save to the way Tim Lincecum's hippie hair flaps in the wind to Pablo Sandoval's quirky walk-up animation to the cyber kayakers in McCovey Cove, the Giants received an overhaul worthy of their new status as diamond kings.

Only thing missing is a cheat code to unlock The Machine.

Then again, "The Show" is rated E for everyone, so Brian Wilson's masked sidekick will need to stay in the background for at least another year.

But don't think the team at Sony's San Diego studio stopped at just upgrading the champs. "MLB 11: The Show" is anything but a roster update with a few new custom animations thrown in to fool consumers that this game is something new. In fact, this might be the biggest jump in terms of both control and gameplay enhancements the series has ever attempted in a single year.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -- Roger Hornsby

The biggest change to the game comes with the addition of Pure Analog Control. That's right, buttons are about as hip these days as players wearing stirrups, so Sony has finally changed the control scheme for hitting, pitching, and throwing to be all analog based (although if you want to play old school and use buttons, you can still find last year's controls in the options menu).

"This is the feature everyone has wanted in our game for years, but we didn't want to do it until we could do it right," says longtime "MLB" producer Chris Gill as he sits down to demo the game for me inside Sony's San Diego studio. "People have been asking for a new way to play the game, and now everything you do, whether you're swinging the bat, throwing to first, or pitching the ball, it's all done with the right analog stick."

What this means is for hitting, gamers pull back on the stick to start the batter's stride, then push forward to swing the bat. This is all about timing as if you start your stride too early, pause, then swing, your stride will be off and you'll lose power. Start your stride too late, and you're going to be behind on the ball when you finally swing. It takes a few innings to get used to, but by my second game, I hit a few homers and felt comfortable enough to start really enjoying the new approach.

vg_mlb_6_576.jpg

Sony Ian Kinsler rips the ball using the new analog hitting system.

Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash.

vg_mlb_10_576.jpg

Sony First look at the game's new pitching meter.

Another cool aspect to the analog mechanic is the fact that the velocity of each pitch is actually determined by the speed with which you press up on the right stick. So if you're looking to add some extra oomph to a Matt Cain fastball, all you have to do is push up harder during your delivery. Obviously, if you're pressing up faster, it will be more difficult to pinpoint location at the top of the meter, but this really adds to the fun and complexity of the system. After a few innings, I had the new system down good enough to feel cocky, then I messed up and gave up a 420-foot shot to Josh Hamilton, but this actually made me smile, as I knew I still had some work to do (and really, no one should be able to master a new pitching system that fast and I was stupid to think I could).

vg_mlb_2_576.jpg

Sony The kayakers are waiting for the cyber splash hit.

The most trouble I had with the new controls came in fielding. While I hit a couple of home runs and struck out plenty of batters using the Pure Analog system, it felt like I committed more throwing errors in three games than I did all last season playing "The Show." After a while, it got so bad that I started feeling like the second coming of Steve Sax.

The problem is, in order to play out the animations smoothly, you're supposed to preload your throw using the right analog stick (and if you don't preload the throw, there is a strange pause that happens right before you unleash a wild throw over the first baseman's head). So essentially, as you run to gather the grounder, you should already be pushing toward first base to throw the runner out just like you did with the buttons last year, only it doesn't seem to work as well (or I just couldn't get the timing right). The thing is, the longer you hold toward first, the harder you throw the ball, but at the same time, throw direction is also manipulated by how accurately you move the stick toward first base, so if you hit the stick at more of a three-quarter angle either way rather than pushing exactly to the right (to represent first base on the stick), the ball flies offline. The game is still early in development, though, and the various producers assured me that they are still tweaking the analog fielding system, so hopefully this aspect gets fine-tuned before it ships. Otherwise, I'm headed back to buttons when it comes to throwing the ball.

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." --- Earl Wilson

On top of the new control scheme, "MLB 11: The Show" also features a fun new co-op mode that can be played both online and offline. Co-op can be 1 vs. 2, 2 vs. 2, or even 2 vs. CPU, with online games using up to two consoles max, meaning if it's a four-player game, two players can be on one console playing against two players on another console. The game then enables each team's captain to assign duties for each showdown. For example, if I'm playing with a friend, I can choose to pitch every other inning and control the infield while he controls the outfield or I can change things up and have him pitch while I control all the fielding. When we're up to bat, we can alternate spots in the order or even choose to just have one player hit and one player pitch. There are so many options to choose from, you can really play this mode however you desire.

I played almost a full game of four-player ball, and I have to say, I was hooked. Between the trash talk and the dirty looks you give your teammate when they make a base running error or strikeout with the bases loaded, the competition level really rises as you add more players into the mix. It's so fun, in fact, I think co-op will make "The Show" one of the best party games of the year. Either that, or the best way to end a friendship if the trash talk gets too heated (and believe me, it will get intense).

vg_mlb_3_576.jpg

Sony Ross "The Boss."

If co-op isn't your thing, there's always the new Challenge of the Week online mode where you can not only prove your "MLB" talent to the world, you can win real-world prizes for those cyber skills. This is basically a quick online competition where every week there is a new challenge with the person who gets the most points at the end of the week winning a prize like a signed baseball from the game's cover athlete, Joe Mauer (covering the game for the second year in a row). There will also be monthly prizes, semi-annual prizes, and a grand prize where gamers might win something huge like a trip to the All-Star game or World Series. These challenges are fast-paced (should only take 2-3 minutes), and the one I tried was simply getting as many hits as possible before getting three outs with a certain batter. The more hits you get in a row, the more points you pile up. The farter the hit, the more points you acquire. So as you get on a hot streak and smack homer after homer, you can almost feel yourself sitting at AT&T park as the Giants beat the Red Sox in the 2011 World Series (what, I can dream). And since the challenges are based on real life events, we might expect something like batting as Josh Hamilton against former teammate Cliff Lee to open the season.

"Baseball is a fun game. It beats working for a living." -- Phil Linz

After taking a few swings in Challenge of the Week, I was also able to sit down and get my hands on the updated Road to the Show career mode (Road to the Show 5.0). I created a shortstop, got drafted by the Rays, and was off to my first game. New this year is the ability to turn assisted fielding off. That means when the ball is hit to you, the computer doesn't help you get moving in the right direction. It's up to you to generate the quick first step and get to the ball, making defense feel even more realistic. Other improvements include the ability to use sliders when creating your player in order to give him the abilities you want. So if you want a power hitting third baseman, you can boost his muscles, but it will come at the expense of his speed. The mode also features enhanced minor league substitution logic so now when your player starts out in development, he will get the chance to play the whole game -- the minor league managers will keep you in now in order to help develop your abilities. The advancement system has also seen a significant overhaul with player stats actually coming into consideration more than previous iterations of the game. Your player will constantly be compared to the other players at his position inside the organization, so if you want to advance, your stats will have to be better than theirs. This comes into play in promotion as well as demotion as if the guy who is one level below you starts playing better, you might lose your spot on the roster.

vg_mlb_5_576.jpg

Sony Joe Mauer has signed to appear on the cover of "MLB 11: The Show."

Dynamic goals (think: take a strike or don't strike out), have also been removed from RTTS in order to help the flow of the game, and they has been replaced with a player performance evaluator. This new system analyzes entire at bats, including how many pitches you saw, your swing timing, the type of contact made, your plate discipline, and the results, then rewards you or penalizes you based off of what happened. Then depending on how you do in the game, the mode will trigger new training for your character. The training this year is based on a level system. So when you start, you're on level one hitting, then as you advance, the trainer will ask you to do more difficult challenges that include contact and recognition training for batters. So if you swing at too many pitches outside the zone, you will head off to discipline training where you are only supposed to swing at strikes. First level, you might only see fastballs, but as you level up, you will learn to lay off the breaking pitches as well.

vg_mlb_8_576.jpg

Sony It won't be long before Jason Heyward is on the cover of his own game.

Think that's all that's been added to the game? Think again as the exhaustive list of improvements made to the "MLB: The Show" franchise also includes Move support for the game's home run derby mode, 3-D gameplay (all you need is a 3-D TV and glasses), and a camera editor that enables you to customize any pitching or batting camera to your own personal specifications. There are even the exact broadcast views for every MLB team so you can play the game as your favorite team from the exact same viewpoint you watch them play for real. Amazing.

Other highlights include Eric Karros joining the booth alongside Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell, completely redesigned stadium-specific jumbotrons, and dynamic rain and cloud coverage that not only takes into account stadium location, but the wet field will now affect the on-field results. There's even a new fake throw system that enables fielders to fake like they're throwing the ball to a certain base in hopes of catching an aggressive runner on another base off guard (simply press throw twice to pull off the fake).

vg_mlb_7_576.jpg

Sony The Phillies should be one of the most popular teams in all of video games in 2011.

For online sports fans, the team at Sony admits to past trouble when it comes to playing their game over the PlayStation Network, but say they are doing everything in their power to ensure a better, smoother, and lag-free experience for "MLB 11." "We've been working a lot on online," adds senior producer Jason Villa, "and right now with our testing it's as close to offline play as it gets. We're going to continue to improve the stability as much as we can. Some people will tell us they have great connections, others don't, and it's hard to determine what the cause is. You never really know until you ship and get out on the shelves, but believe me, we're doing our best to make sure it's as good as we can possibly get it."

Other online improvements include flexible divisions in leagues (2, 4, or 6), custom roster support for league play, and the ability for commissioners to set AI controlled teams so that you can play in a league with 30 teams even if you only have a handful of human players. Commissioners also have the new ability to simulate or reset games to help advance the league. In addition, there's a new XP system that will grant XP points whether gamers win or lose online. The winner will now get 75% while the loser gets 25% of the points, and Sony hopes this alleviates the problem of competitors simply pulling the plug on online games once they fall behind. Winning percentage will also play a factor in your skill rank and help determine whether you're a rookie, veteran, or legend, not just your overall XP value (so don't automatically assume someone with 5,000 points is brilliant at the game, look at their win percentage).

vg_mlb_1_576.jpg

Sony At&T Park looks amazing in the new game.

"Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer." -- Ted Williams

I've been a fan of "The Show" franchise for many years now, and I have to say, the 2011 edition blew me away. I spent a full day playing the game, then the following week attended Sony's New York preview event where I sat down and played another full 9-inning game. When I got back to my hotel room following the event, I still couldn't get the game (or the awesomeness of Brian Wilson's polygonal beard) out of my mind. It's similar to how I felt the first time I saw "NBA 2K11" -- sometimes you just get that feeling that you're playing something special, and "MLB 11: The Show" is shaping up to be one of the biggest sports game of the new year.

If only they would add orange cleats ...
Like the sound of the new analog pitching and batting controls, as the former sounds a bit like MVP's analog pitching controls. I'm hoping that I can just use the buttons for fielding since that doesn't sound like a great implementation of analog controls even if they make it more user-friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposed cover for the game from Walmart's website

13482.jpg

Really liking the sound of the new controls, especially fielding. With a lot of people complaining about the simple controls over the past few years and them revamping it this year, this might be the best baseball game ever.

I held out this year since I had 08 and 09 figuring there'd be a huge update for 11. I knew my team (the Indians) were going to be terrible so I needed a year off from playing with them. The new updates sound sweet as The Show is easily the top sports game currently. I haven't played NBA 2k11 but The Show is the one sports game that seems to play closest to real life where it is a challenge to win every game and you aren't just playing to pad stats which is what Football and Basketball games become for me.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-all-star-joe-mauer-returns-as-cover-athlete/

Announcement trailer, free month of MLB.tv as a pre-order bonus, and a special DS3 for its launch:
Trailer: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1486/0.901

Sports fans -

Today it’s my pleasure to announce that Minnesota Twins All-Star catcher Joe Mauer will be returning as our cover athlete in the latest installment of the best selling baseball franchise, MLB 11 The Show, hitting store shelves on March 8, 2011, just in time for Spring Training! Mauer continues to be a driving force in Major League Baseball as the premier all-around player in the game and just in case you need convincing, here his 2010 stats—third consecutive Gold Glove, recorded his 1,000th career Major League hit, and finished third in the AL with a .327 batting average, not to mention his 43 doubles rank second on baseball’s all-time list for doubles by a catcher…not too shabby.

Here’s a look at our new MLB 11 The Show cover art featuring Mauer…

For a rundown of new features in MLB 11, I have some required reading for all of you. Take a look at ESPN.com’s first look impressions of the new game. In the article Jon Robinson writes that…”MLB 11 The Show is anything but a roster update. In fact, this might be the biggest jump in terms of both control and gameplay enhancements the series has ever attempted in a single year.”

And last but not least, two items that I think you’ll be excited about…first, fans who reserve and purchase their copy of MLB 11 The Show for PS3 will receive 30 days of MLB.TV FREE, which gives you live access to every regular-season game in HD with full DVR-controls (blackout and other restrictions apply, visit MLB.com for more details).

Second, to coincide with our launch on March 8th, a new DualShock 3 – MLB 11 The Show Edition will be available at retailers nationwide. Available for $54.99 (MSRP) for a limited time, the newest addition to the DualShock 3 family is perfect for baseball fans and provides the same motion-sensing technology, vibration support, and comfortable grip gamers are already familiar with.

Welcome to The Show!-

I honestly hated analog hitting controls in MLB 2K series. I prefer the press a button and aim option. We'll see how it works. NHL 10/11 got it right with Analog controls.

Probably taking a pass this year as well. I hate buying the same sports game two years in a row and honestly, I had a not so good time with the online from this year.

Looking forward to this one--one of the reasons I chose a PS3 over a 360 was the ability to play this game.

I can't believe it's the same player two years in a row. Might as well rename it Joe Mauer Baseball 2k11

A month from launch and nobody is talking about this? Surprised...but not really. Out of sheer curiosity, does anybody know if they plan on releasing a demo BEFORE the game hits shelves this year? Or are they going to wait until a month after it's out like last year?

I played so much of last years game (and loved it) that I just don't think I can do it again this year. With slider tweaks ect. I got last years game to play so damn well that I might just continue my Franchise and just play '10 again. I do think '11 looks awesome but I have a feeling the analog controls will be better implemented in next years game, after Sony has had a full year to get feedback on them and tweak them.

But there's also a chance that I could play the demo and change my mind haha.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']A month from launch and nobody is talking about this? Surprised...but not really. Out of sheer curiosity, does anybody know if they plan on releasing a demo BEFORE the game hits shelves this year? Or are they going to wait until a month after it's out like last year?[/QUOTE]

OS is all about it, but no big shock there. I think I'll finally buy a PS3 here in a few weeks and see what all the fuss is about with this game. I've had six wonderful years with MVP 2005, but maybe it's time to move on.

The new Player Vault feature sounds pretty cool. I also like the idea of being able to mix and match jerseys, pants, and hats.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']OS is all about it, but no big shock there. I think I'll finally buy a PS3 here in a few weeks and see what all the fuss is about with this game. I've had six wonderful years with MVP 2005, but maybe it's time to move on.

The new Player Vault feature sounds pretty cool. I also like the idea of being able to mix and match jerseys, pants, and hats.[/QUOTE]

You should like it. I too held out playing MVP 2005 until I got The Show 08. It really feels like what could have happened had EA still kept making MVP. Sony really has done a great job of capturing baseball on the PS3. In most sports games I end up getting good enough that I either end up playing a cheating cpu or just worry about getting the right stats in a season. In The Show, every game is a unique experience. There are so many little things that just make it great. If you ever go to OperationSports.com there is a ton of info there and the devs post in the forums. There is even a thread every year dedicated solely to the little things the game does.

I preferred MLB 2K's pitching to The Show's for the analog movements, so I'm excited for that, but I don't want to use analog control for batting or fielding.

The RTTS advancement improvements are great. I'm glad they're taking performance into account.

I'm excited for this year!

I never bought The Show, but I think this will be my first. MVP 2005 kept me good for a few years, and then Power Pros was a nice diversion... but I need something new. Time to experience The Show.

Can't say I've liked analog controls in any baseball game I've played, though...

[quote name='Brownjohn']I preferred MLB 2K's pitching to The Show's for the analog movements, so I'm excited for that, but I don't want to use analog control for batting or fielding.

The RTTS advancement improvements are great. I'm glad they're taking performance into account.

I'm excited for this year![/QUOTE]

nice thing about the new controls is you can choose which areas will use analog and which will use classic. Same applies to online play for both players.

i am hoping the analog pitching is good. it doesnt really impress me like 2K pitching does. but this game is so great that i will play it either way.

i played a full 162 with playoffs as the indians with last years game...cant wait to do it again

[quote name='Maynard46']nice thing about the new controls is you can choose which areas will use analog and which will use classic. Same applies to online play for both players.[/QUOTE]

How can this be true and still be fair to both players? I'd think most people would just choose button controls to get an advantage...thus prompting the other person to switch to button controls...thus giving us MLB 10. But I still think it's a little pompous of SCEA to think their servers can handle analog controls anyway. Show us that the game works first...then get fancy. Any word on a demo?

The SF Giants should be on the cover wtf? Analog controls are pretty lame, suprised they wasted there time on that. I tried to tell the dude in the sound department to implement sports talk radio like knbr when you are messing around in menus and looking at stats but he didn't seem to like the idea. Seems like they missed quite a few opportunities with this one. I guess i might wait another year before i enjoy the show for the first time on my ps3.

I've played through about nine innings now over two games (four innings is the default) and I'm liking it a lot so far.

The new analog pitching is really good, as it's very much like the great MVP 07 rock and fire pitching mechanic with some better control over direction. The batting is a nice change of pace compared to the arcadey 2K style of analog swinging, as you need to preload a bit earlier and it seems like you won't be able to hit homeruns quite as easily as 2K allows even after toning it down over the past few iterations. For whatever reason, they start you out on All Star difficulty for both pitching and batting, so it's hard to get a hit at all and I got way more ground/fly outs than strikeouts.

The demo's annoying at first because you have to sit through loading and the intro (plus warmups for the pitcher that you can skip) before you can get to the pause menu to fix the screen size for HDTVs and alter settings that fit you best. I found it interesting that you can alter the sound level for all three commentators, so you can just turn one of them off if you don't like them. :lol:

Played through 4 innings, and while I'm winning 1-0 and have somewhat gotten used to the pitching (which is way better than 2K's immitated pitching motion style), I really don't think I enjoy analog hitting. It just feels gimmicky and unnatural no matter how it's done. There really doesn't seem to be much of a connect between your stride and your swing. As long as you press down on the right stick and then up, you basically get the exact same swing as in MLB 10 when you pressed a button. It's just a more drawn out process.

Also, I'm not sure if they dumbed things down for the demo or what, but in getting used to the pitching, I threw some meatballs that were hit for pop ups by the Rangers hitters. This concerns me because it made it feel like they weren't able to hit the ball because of WHO was pitching (Lincecum). This is a problem I had with last year's game where ace pitchers just didn't get hit. A bad pitch should be a bad pitch. I don't care who's throwing it. If the full game plays like this, I consider that a negative.

Analog fielding seems sluggish like it has in every game, which just makes turning double plays infuriatingly hard. The thought of using any of these control schemes online with SCEA's infamous servers is terrifying. If people have the option to switch to the old controls online, they'll switch. One fun thing I did discover that will be horribly abused online (unless SCEA had the foresight to stop it...and I mean, who are we kidding?) is that the batter can now press down on the d-pad to raise his hand and call for timeout.

I did this over and over and over again to the AI, and the ump granted my timeout request every time (although I did find it amusing to hear the announcers talk about how ridiculous it was and that something needed to be done). You see where I'm going with this, right? So, now when you're winning a game online against someone who doesn't want to take a loss, they can stall the game by calling for timeout over and over again. I hope to GOD SCEA put some kind of limit in place to prevent this, but I really doubt it.

I don't know, maybe I find the two teams in the demo boring, or maybe I'm just burnt out on baseball games, but to me, the demo isn't anything to write home about. SCEA did give a laundry list of new "features" and "improvements" that aren't showcased here, but whether or not they'll be difference makers remains to be seen. And of course, online play is always a wildcard. As it stands, I've learned my lesson about buying this game new within the first two months of release. But I look forward to the possibility of picking it up used for $30 when they have everything fixed in May.

Yeah... I love this series and all, but I just can't stand buying a new sports game at $60.00 only to have it drop in price fast. I think I'll be waiting as well, n8rockerasu.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/23/mlb-11-the-show-co-op-mode-detailed-demo-available-now/

The co-op mode is detailed:
Now on to co-op! For those of you that follow us closely, you know that we spend a lot of time reading feedback from all of our fans out there. One of the features that many of you have been pushing for is the desire to play The Show with someone as a teammate, instead of just as an opponent. So, this year we created a co-op mode that gives you and a buddy the ability to play on the same team against the CPU, against 1 player, or against 2 other players.

Here’s how it works…you’re able to customize who will be responsible for the different offensive and defensive areas of the game. When you’re at bat, you can choose to allow one person to do all of the batting or choose to alternate batters. The base running works in the opposite way so if you’re batting, your teammate will be responsible for the base running allowing you to work together for sacrifices and hit and runs. I promise you, if you’re playing a 2v2 co-op offline, you’ll start to develop hand signals with your teammate for these situations. I know, that sounds ridiculous, but it’s going to happen.

When you’re in the field, there are four different controllable areas—pitcher, catcher, infield, and outfield. Again, you have the ability to customize who is responsible for different areas. The pitcher, like the batter, can alternate between the teammates (per inning).

To help avoid the confusion of who is doing what, we created some graphics that use your player’s color to indicate what responsibilities you have at any given moment. You’ll see the description as you load into a co-op game, and the dynamic icons will drop down from the scorebar at the beginning of each at bat.

Co-op is also available online allowing two systems and four players maximum (two users per team) to play a head-to-head game. The PlayStation Network user logged in will receive the game stats and points on their profile. The other user is their copilot, so to speak. Users can also play an unranked co-op game—two users, on two different systems, on the same team, versus the CPU.

Now, typically when you think of sports video games, you think of the competitiveness (and trash talking) that comes with trying to beat down your buddy, humiliating him, and making him cry, which is always fun. With that said, the first reaction to playing as a teammate might be that you would lose some of that enjoyment, at least that was always my impression. Boy was I wrong. While playing with another member of the team here in San Diego, by the second inning into our first game you started hearing…”You are killing me,” “I’m going to have to do all of this myself, aren’t I?,” “Man, you’re awful,” etc…(quotes edited and censored of course). Co-op brings a whole new way to enjoyMLB 11 The Show so we hope you have as much fun with it as we do, and that you don’t lose too many friends from the experience. Thanks for reading and don’t forget to pre-order your copy MLB 11 The Show on PS3 to get 30 days FREE MLB.TV! We were able to get a few test codes to check out last year’s games and this really is a cool app. Follow your favorite team home or away on your PS3 with MLB.TV.

I finally played the demo.....I enjoyed the analog pitching also, but I loathed the hitting. I switched to my nice ZONE button push mode. As for fielding, the analog did not annoy me much, although I need to tweak it a bit more. Also, how do you hit the cutoff man with Analog fielding?

[quote name='doubledown']I finally played the demo.....I enjoyed the analog pitching also, but I loathed the hitting. I switched to my nice ZONE button push mode. As for fielding, the analog did not annoy me much, although I need to tweak it a bit more. Also, how do you hit the cutoff man with Analog fielding?[/QUOTE]

I did it once but if I understand it correctly, you choose any base and then hit L1 which will pass it off to the cutoff man.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah... I love this series and all, but I just can't stand buying a new sports game at $60.00 only to have it drop in price fast. I think I'll be waiting as well, n8rockerasu.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the MSRP on The Show doesn't typically drop fast (though last year it dropped much quicker than prior years), but I can almost guarantee it will be available used for $30-35 within 4-6 weeks. The main places to look should be GoHastings, Gamestop (with a decent coupon), or possibly even the Amazon Warehouse. With both MLB 09 and MLB 10 requiring multiple patches that were not released until early May, the argument for being an early adopter seems nonexistent.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']To be fair, the MSRP on The Show doesn't typically drop fast (though last year it dropped much quicker than prior years), but I can almost guarantee it will be available used for $30-35 within 4-6 weeks. The main places to look should be GoHastings, Gamestop (with a decent coupon), or possibly even the Amazon Warehouse. With both MLB 09 and MLB 10 requiring multiple patches that were not released until early May, the argument for being an early adopter seems nonexistent.[/QUOTE]

Also, another reason to wait is the people at Operation Sports usually create authentic rosters with created players included AA/AAA, so that is another reason to wait, and another reason why the game is awesome.

Played a little more of the dmeo last night. I will use the ZONE hitting mode when I get the game, hate the analog control. I also botched a double play since I threw to second and I tried to pre-charge the throw to first, but I had to wait until I caught the ball. Not sure if the button method is different.

Also, I appear to suck at hitting this year. I was great last year, so I'm not sure what changed or if I have to take off All-Star Mode.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...eturns-with-new-player-performance-evaluator/
The revamped evaluation system for Road to the Show is detailed:
Brand new to MLB 11 The Show this year, and to Road to The Show, is the Player Performance Evaluator. This new system analyzes your approach at the plate (or to batters faced) to then grade you, and in turn, provide training points. There are a number of factors that determine if the at bat was good or not, which include things like the amount of pitches during the at bat, the type of contact of the hit, and the overall result of the play. In general, the more pitches you see during the at bat, the better your chances are to receive a good result regardless if the at bat ended in a hit or not. However, ripping a first pitch strike for a home run will always be considered a good result. This result scale holds true for pitchers as well, although the system is the opposite so what a batter does that’s considered a success will likely be a bad result for the pitcher. We then take the result of each at bat and reward you with training points. The scale is vast in what levels of points you can achieve so for example, a one pitch single resulting in a good at bat will likely net you fewer points than an eight pitch single would.

Not only do we summarize your at bats, but the system also evaluates several things during each at bat to determine areas you excel in or fall short in. For batters, we evaluate your swing timing, contact quality, plate discipline, pitch recognition, and finally your overall at bat results. This data is tracked for your most recent 100 plate appearances and is displayed in the locker room screen, under the Player Performance Evaluator tab.

For pitchers, we keep track of your strikes versus balls thrown, percentage of first pitch strikes, percentage you work ahead in the count, a breakdown of your pitch type tendencies, and finally your overall batter’s faced results. The same holds true with batters in that the data is tracked for your most recent 100 batters faced.

After we’ve tracked enough data to establish your play style tendencies, we then determine the areas you need to improve on and trigger the training session that best suits that area. The training modes have been overhauled for batting and pitching this year to now focus on specific areas for each. The new batting training modes include timing training, contact training, discipline training, recognition training, and good at bat training. The new pitching training modes include knockout training, pitch location training, pitch type training, and sim game training.

Each of these trainings have their own specific purpose. For instance, in timing training your goal is to hit the ball fair with well-timed swings – swings that are too early or too late will count against you. For pitch type training, you will be told what pitch to throw and given a target for the location. Hitting the target with a different pitch or missing the target will not reward you. Each of these trainings also have levels of difficulty ranging from 1 to 5. In Road to The Show, you’ll start at level 1 and once you achieve the target success for that level, you’ll unlock the next level. Each level brings a new set of challenges so for example, level 1 timing training will require you to have 7 successes, whereas level 4 will require 10.

We’re very excited about this year’s new Performance Evaluator and training mode additions and hope you are as well. Thanks for reading and don’t forget to pre-order your copy MLB 11 The Show on PS3 to get 30 days FREE MLB.TV! We were able to get a few test codes to check out last year’s games and this really is a cool app. Follow your favorite team home or away on your PS3 with MLB.TV.

I ran into a glitch in the demo yesterday. I threw a strike and then immediately had my catcher throw to first cause the guy was leaning. I caught the runner in a run down, but then all of a sudden the first baseman threw it back to the pitcher as if nothing had a happened, the screen changed back to the pitcher interface, and I saw the runner sliding into second base...and there was nothing I could do. The hell?

Being a Royals fan I really want to see what the rosters (minor league) look like before picking this up... Heaving slipped last years I feel the need for a new one but I really want to use allot of the youngsters we have that I know won't be on the opening 25 man roster... or on the roster anytime soon this year.

I think I'm going to be able to pass on the Show this year. The demo didn't really wow me in any way. Besides the new controls I had a hard time seeing (or hearing) many differences at all from last years game. I like the new analog pitching, although I haven't decided if I like it as much as 2K's analog pitching. I really despise analog batting, I just think it's too damn hard and makes the process of batting too "busy". I mean it's tough enough to get hits anyways but adding every person's different batting stride into it just makes it too much for me. I actually like the analog fielding quite a bit though, works better than I thought it would. But the graphics, presentation, announcing, and animations seem so similar to me this year, too similar for me to make a purchase I'm afraid. I'm sure the Franchise mode is almost exactly the same again, although it does look like the RttS has been improved greatly from previous years. Maybe next years game will grab me more than this years has so far.

[quote name='yukine']There seems to always be weird glitches like that, they will probably release a day one patch for the retail version.[/QUOTE]

I hope so! I was already having a bad game and that bit of nonsense put me into a rage lol.

[quote name='cgarb84']I think I'm going to be able to pass on the Show this year. The demo didn't really wow me in any way. Besides the new controls I had a hard time seeing (or hearing) many differences at all from last years game. I like the new analog pitching, although I haven't decided if I like it as much as 2K's analog pitching. I really despise analog batting, I just think it's too damn hard and makes the process of batting too "busy". I mean it's tough enough to get hits anyways but adding every person's different batting stride into it just makes it too much for me. I actually like the analog fielding quite a bit though, works better than I thought it would. But the graphics, presentation, announcing, and animations seem so similar to me this year, too similar for me to make a purchase I'm afraid. I'm sure the Franchise mode is almost exactly the same again, although it does look like the RttS has been improved greatly from previous years. Maybe next years game will grab me more than this years has so far.[/QUOTE]

I was the exact way with the NHL series, but I grew to love and prefer it over the original button layout. Honestly, once you get used to it, it's not bad. Your choice of course!

hey i'm new to The Show. is it a waste of money to get 10 (online support ending soon?) and should I wait for 11?

bread's done
Back