MLB 14: The Show - PS4/PS3/Vita - New: Forward-Compatible Saves! Faster 9 Inning Games! Community Challenges!

I like it all except for how you have to play (to quite strict standards) to determine your potential. No one wants to create a player, go through all the time and work to build a mediocre bench warmer that flits from team to team on veteran minimum contracts. Just let us create a player with A potential right from the start.
You put points into whatever categories you want. The potential most likely will only come into play for draft position, promotions, trades, etc. Its not like in franchise where an A potential player will reach 90+ overall and a C won't. You control your ratings.

You put points into whatever categories you want. The potential most likely will only come into play for draft position, promotions, trades, etc. Its not like in franchise where an A potential player will reach 90+ overall and a C won't. You control your ratings.
Good to know, I have never played RTTS, but am planning on it this year.

For anyone that wants to dabble in some online competition with fellow CAGs, sign up here for an online dynasty:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/329166-mlb-14-the-show-ps3-ps4-online-dynasties/

im not a fan of how ps4/x1 sports game versions make the people look more fake then last gen.  I'm sure all that will be fixed once they build legit next gen engines.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/08/hands-on-with-mlb-14-the-show-on-ps4/

Ryan Clements at the PS Blog wrote up some stuff about the PS4 version, though there isn't much we didn't already know. This is the one bit of info that I hadn't heard about before:

A less obvious addition, though no less addictive, is the new player lock feature — something San Diego Studio dubs “Road to the Show, anywhere.” This locks the camera — and the action — to any individual player in a game. Player lock opens up the tremendous diversity and strategic richness in each position on field, from the planning and quick thinking of the catcher to the patience and precision of an outfielder.

Each position plays a bit different, and unlocks a whole new way to experience The Show. If that player happens to be out, The Show can simulate all the “in-between” moments in a slick interface brimming with statistics, or gamers can watch it all play out in real time. The amount of options and customization is staggering, inviting the most devoted baseball fans to plunge into a sea of possibilities and fine-tune the experience to their liking.
Sounds like they adapted the way you control any of the positions in RTTS for the rest of the game like how you can just lock yourself to a PG or whatever in NBA 2K or most other sports games.

I'm as excited for the Show as anybody here on PS4...but man do I wish baseball games would bring this back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekd1GAH3mh0

I actually ordered the game last week for nostalgia and while it shows it's age graphically there is a great replay value in a home run derby in a living room, medieval castle, and construction site with Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth. I would love if the Show added this as an optional mode in addition to the regular home run derby.

i agree the graphics are showing their age but still looks good. I will say about ps4 version i seen a ign stream of it and it's not jaw dropping like people think it will be. ps4 version is pretty much what i expected it to be like madden/fifa on next gen it just looks better but nothing special. The real test for sports games will be this coming year and next year for the show when they get a full dev year to work on the game.

I think it's silly to think you can tell what a game is going to look/play like based on web video's and screens. infamous looks a lot better on my tv than on youtube. If you just look at the features alone it will blow away the ps3 version. add great fps in 1080p and bam.

I think it's silly to think you can tell what a game is going to look/play like based on web video's and screens. infamous looks a lot better on my tv than on youtube. If you just look at the features alone it will blow away the ps3 version. add great fps in 1080p and bam.
Very true. I was underwhelmed with next gen graphics before I actually got my PS4 and played stuff like Killzone and Infamous on my TV.

I'm leaning toward picking up The Show, never played a game in the series, or any baseball game in ages, so would be a nice change of pace. And other than ACIV (waiting for a better deal than current prices) there's nothing else out or coming out that I really plan on playing until Destiny. Maybe Diablo 3 I guess. Not complaining as I knew the release schedule and have plenty to play on PS3 and Vita.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not saying it will be bad but it will not be what people are thinking. Madden looks great but it's not mind blowing but the show needs this upgrade the ps3 version is showing it's age.

i think sports games will take a year or two to get full system power and use it like it can which is the case for most games with new systems. Just look at this past gen sports games got better over time.

anyone got this on vita yet?

Thinking of picking up either through awd or from bby with GCU.

Dat cross save sounds good.

Does it have cross play? like can i play on my vita and play someone on ps3 online?

I think it is just cross-save, not cross-play.

I haven't picked up the Vita version because I have it on PS3, and once it hits PS4, I imagine that is where I will sink most of my time. We shall see though, I might nab it on Vita just to play RTTS on that.

Traded in Second Sony while it was still getting $40 at Gamestop (last day of that promo) and paid off a preorder of this.

Looking forward to checking it out, never played a game in the series before.

I really, really want to buy MLB '14 for my PS4 but by May 6, that's when I start to cut down on video gaming. If it were released in early March, it would be a different story. I'll wait until it's on sale at a store. I am buying Watch Dogs since I was able to get it in a pre-order sale for $20 off. No such luck in Canada for The Show, though.

The game looks fantastic, though.  

I cant field for crap on vita. The controls are so sensitive and often I cant tell what fielder im controlling until I have already ran him out of the play lol. Rtts pitching is my game on vita though and that works great.

I cant field for crap on vita. The controls are so sensitive and often I cant tell what fielder im controlling until I have already ran him out of the play lol. Rtts pitching is my game on vita though and that works great.
Grabbed it for vita and have been playing rtts as a pitchter mostly. Got drafted by the twins, pitched 5-6 games in AA then got pulled up to the show, couple ND and a couple wins there so far. Only rated 62 overall. Used verlander as the pitcher to emulate.

So, when i get this on ps4, im probably going to be deleting MLB 14 off my ps3 so i guess i'll give away all my best players on the Mets to anyone who wants them in the ps3 league

I dont know why but I'm suddenly unsure if I want the PS4 version right away.  For those who have played the Show before, how long does it typically take to have a $40 sale?

I dont know why but I'm suddenly unsure if I want the PS4 version right away. For those who have played the Show before, how long does it typically take to have a $40 sale?
usually after the all star break, but the ps4 version wont drop to $40 for some time though.

usually after the all star break, but the ps4 version wont drop to $40 for some time though.
Agree on that. If you'll notice there still hasnt been hardly any sales on next gen titles and the ones there have been were months after games came out and was 40 at best.

I just uploaded my rtts player for his ps4 appearance tomorrow. He is an 89 rated pitcher in 3rd season. 2nd in the majors. 2nd in the Red Sox rotation. Can't wait!

Going to pick up tomorrow at Best Buy with GCU. 

What rosters are the BEST for Full Minors?  They all migrate to PS4, correct?

10:00am and still no Show... Not even downloading yet. And I just got off with sony network support. What a joke. The woman was completely rude and told me "It states when you confirm your preorder that it may not be available until the end of the day". I remember it saying 12:01am. What a joke. Lesson learned here. She actually told me that it was rare for a game to be released on a TUESDAY LOL!

That's really weird... I don't think Sony has ever done a midnight digital release. I wonder if the marketing guys screwed up or the people updating the store.

seems like ps4 has strange long loading times (which has always been issue on ps3 version), frame rate issues during non gameplay like replays and what not.

this version is pretty much what i was expecting on par with nba and madden. I can't wait until next go around for sports games on next gen i really feel that is when we see the huge jump in tech and looks at least i hope. 

seems like ps4 has strange long loading times (which has always been issue on ps3 version), frame rate issues during non gameplay like replays and what not.

this version is pretty much what i was expecting on par with nba and madden. I can't wait until next go around for sports games on next gen i really feel that is when we see the huge jump in tech and looks at least i hope.
Yea, all the first run sports games are the same as the last gen copy, just a bit of polish on it to make it look shiny and new. Next round will be amazing! I love that NHL always takes two years before their first go at next gen... and it has delivered. NHL 07 had the skill stick for the first time. Excited to see what they do next Fall.

They do them all of the time. This is the first one I recall not being ready at launch.
So I'm guessing the day one digital releases are usually midnight releases? I never really paid too much attention since I don't really buy digital versions of retail games unless they're on sale or part of PS+. I just assumed they were always put up with the rest of the PSN store.

Hey, im gonna be starting up a league for ps4. Yanks was gonna do it but hes too busy to do it, so i'll be making a new thread shortly.

bread's done
Back