MLB Power Pros 2008 DS (August 25th)

V4oLDbOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
93 (100%)
l_913187d4358748f6e12920acc7d020bf.jpg

There was no thread for this game in the DS forum, but I did see one in the Wii forum so I put this here.

Well MLB Power Pros 2008 for the Wii and PS2 comes out in a few days, already paid my Wii version off at GS. But I am just as excited for the DS iteration coming August 25th. Now the Power Pro series has been running in Japan since 1994 and has been very successful in past and current years.

The series began on the Gameboy and has came out every year since, the first DS title was release in 2005. The original Power Pro series began on the Super Famicon in 1994 and has come out on nearly every platform since.

Thanks to my cousin in Japan I've been able to enjoy the Pocket series since the 4th in the series on the GBA and the original Power Pro series on the N64, and a similar series on the PS1. Along with other weird Japanese titles like Kokoro Scan and alike.

Last year Konami teamed up with 2K sports (The only holder of the multi-platform MLB license, hence no MLB 08:The Show on 360) to bring the Power Pro series stateside with a top notch localization, announcer excluded. The game features MLB teams and players, as well as the deepest franchise mode among any sports game, which the series has had for a while, but US players had the first taste of it. Everything from adjusting the lineup to having individual players work on their changeup during practice. There was also a mini-rpg mode included, which was short, but fun, and how you could have a created player on your franchise team.

The latest DS iteration Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 is just a fantastic game for a portable game. One reason I got a DS over a PSP was because of this game, which I loved on the GBA. The DS version features pretty much the same package as its Wii and PS2 counterparts (considering its a DS game), an rpg mode, franchise ("Pennant") mode, and Wifi play. They kept the general feel of the game the same, but of course I play the console versions more often since they have the better features/gameplay.

Heres a 5 min gameplay video I made earlier tonight of Power Pro Kun Pocket 10, sorry the quality is sh*t, I used my digital camera instead of my video camera which is at a friends house, but it gives you a sense of the gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJruFQ4QuQ

Here's the trailer

General Features
-In Success mode, fans can participate in a story-based career of rising players in the Double-A Minor League system trying to improve their baseball skills and make an impression on baseball scouts while also having to balance various situations in their personal lives.

-Through a variety of amusing training and game challenges, players who complete Success mode will also be able to take their created player files into MLB Life as well, or also play as either an existing Major League Baseball player in Dream Mode, or start as a rookie in Major League Career mode.

-As a new feature in MLB Power Pros 2008, MLB Life is another story-based mode that will allow fans the possibility to simulate the exciting life and experience of being a Major League Baseball player over the course of a 20-year career. While continuing to play in games through the regular baseball season, players will also participate in a number of realistic situations such as signing contracts, purchasing houses and cars, making charitable donations, building up relationships with friends and teammates, picking up hobbies and much more.

-Support of 40-man rosters, change of ball speed, adjustment of defensive shifts, along with a real-time bullpen check functionality for substituting pitchers.
Easy, pick-up-and-play hitting and pitching.

The new version looks to be a fair improvement of the last game, especially with respect tot eh rpg mode, which will allow players to undertake a 20yr career instead of the 4 yr college in last years game. I just hope they don't dumb down the DS version, but by looking at Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 it doesn't look so.

Here's a short blog post I wrote on the series.

Here's also a "conferance call" with the game's producer Rob Nelson, he speaks on the new features and talks about the game from yesterday July 24th.

Among the features he says...

- no online in Wii or PS2 versions, but the DS will, like last years game.
- 2 rpg modes: 1. sucess mode returns (the college one), its a continuation though of AA to the Majors. 2. MLB Life, which is in my opinion the most exciting feature by far.
- More Wiimote use, like we want to swing around with this game, we'll leave that to Mario Sluggers.
- Import Miis, also useless to me.

http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlbpp2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm excited for it, I liked the first MLB Power Pros on the Wii. I always tried to get into the Pocket games but it's very hard to do anything because there are just so many options and menus and it's all in Japanese so I'm happy I'll be able to play this series in portable form as well.

I'm really looking forward to having a great portable baseball game for my DS. Hopefully this game fits the bill. I loved the first Wii edition last year.

[quote name='theflicker']I'm really looking forward to having a great portable baseball game for my DS. Hopefully this game fits the bill. I loved the first Wii edition last year.[/QUOTE]

It will, dont worry. The Wii/ps2 game from last year was a great localization of teh Japanese game, I played them both. And if this DS version is a good localization of Power Pro Kun Pocket 10, the youtube video I made) it should be fantastic, and its priced perfectly at $30.

I hope it's all 2D like the Power Pro Kun Pocket, I don't want some pseudo 3D crap going on.

Is the MLB Power Pros 2008 essentially a modified port of their latest game? So the DS version would be a port of the latest Power Pro Kun Pocket?

[quote name='yukine']I hope it's all 2D like the Power Pro Kun Pocket, I don't want some pseudo 3D crap going on.

Is the MLB Power Pros 2008 essentially a modified port of their latest game? So the DS version would be a port of the latest Power Pro Kun Pocket?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was pretty much just a port.

Now the DS game is sort of 3D, but it looks very good imo. The Wii version will be 2D, but the DS is sort of pseudo 3D, but it looks great imo.

I actually have Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 in my DS library as well. Even though the language barrier keeps me from playing the success mode and such, I still play exhibition and season games when I'm killing time at work.

Really looking forward to Power Pros for the DS. It's about time the DS gets a good MLB game.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Did they wuss out and not use touch controls?[/QUOTE]

touch controls would just ruin this game for me, they already compromised by putting a "little" wiimote play in the Wii game, a bit more this year. But it is gamecube controller compatible, Wii classic (if not banned), or wiimote + nunchuck as joystick. Gamecube is by far the best choice though.

There's a reason Konami doesn't put that in, imagine playing a baseball game without at d-pad/joystick.

[quote name='jza1218']I think that image confirms the lack of season, success, and MLB Life modes for this version. Bad move on that.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/224/946226_20080812_screen065.jpg[/QUOTE]

It will have season, success, and MLB Life modes. I'm looking forward to this game. See below:

The Power Pros take to the field again in this unique baseball game that has the comedic visual appeal of miniature Major League Baseball player players while still delivering the fun with easy-to-use controls and addictive gameplay.

With over ten different exciting game modes including the traditional Practice, Exhibition, League and Home Run Challenge modes, MLB Power Pros 2008 will bring fans closer to the action than ever before. Gamers also get the opportunity to act as general manager and control the destiny of their own franchise in Season mode, or engage in entertaining role-playing story modes such as Success and MLB Life modes. As general manager, gamers can trade, sign free agents, coordinate practice schedules, purchase new equipment, call up and send down players from the Minor Leagues, along with other management options to bring in fans, win playoff games and eventually, earn the title of World Series champion.

Genre: Sports
Also Available On: Wii, PlayStation 2
Release Date: August 25, 2008
MSRP: $29.99

I agree with jza. It seems there's not a season mode based on that screenshot.

jkam, where did you get that info from? And it seems like it's describing the Wii and PS2 versions.

Here's the description from Gamestop's page

"Take your best shot at several fun game modes, including Matchup, Playoffs and Home Run Challenge."

Seems to me there is no season mode included.

Matchup Mode - Play a one-off match against the CPU or another player.
Playoffs Mode - Re-create the MLB playoffs with this tournament mode.
Home Run Challenge - Hit as many home runs as you can in the span of 10 pitches.
Practice Mode - Learn the basics.
Wireless Play - Compete against another player using DS Wireless.
Download Play - Compete against another player using only one Game Card!

Description of modes from 2K Sports website. Totally weak. They finally give us a handheld Power Pro and it's stripped to all hell, look at the Japanese versions they have a ton of modes.

[quote name='yukine']Matchup Mode - Play a one-off match against the CPU or another player.
Home Run Challenge - Hit as many home runs as you can in the span of 10 pitches.

Description of modes from 2K Sports website. Totally weak. They finally give us a handheld Power Pro and it's stripped to all hell, look at the Japanese versions they have a ton of modes.[/QUOTE]

Such a joke that this game is 30 bucks.

Mr. OldBoy,

You seem to be very informed about the game. Do you have anything to the contrary as far as the season mode is concerned? As disappoiting as it is, it seems this won't have one, which is beyond me.

[quote name='yukine']Matchup Mode - Play a one-off match against the CPU or another player.

Description of modes from 2K Sports website. Totally weak. They finally give us a handheld Power Pro and it's stripped to all hell, look at the Japanese versions they have a ton of modes.[/QUOTE]

Terrible news. All but kills any chance of a purchase from me.

ok I guess this game officially sucks as of now and I definitely wont b picking it up without any season or career mode. Odd indeed since power pros 10 (japan) as a season (pennant) mode, in which I have aseason going as we speak witht e Chunichi Dragons.

Odd and sad news indeed. I dont understand why they didn't just flat out port over power pros 10 from japan and replace the players, teams,and language. Beyond me...

I'm still in denial, hoping that maybe we're looking at old info and this thing ships with a season/career mode.

I patiently await the reviews over the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking about picking something baseball up... this... or little league world series... or... backyard baseball... which one should i get?

I just signed up for an account (hey everyone) to tell you, specifically, NOT to get little league world series 08 DS. It is terrible, just trust me. Worse game purchase I've ever made.

I just bought Power Pros 2008 DS but I haven't opened it yet. Still awaiting a decent review. I got it for the PS2 also, which has a season mode, so the lack there-of in the DS version doesn't bother me all that much. Pick up and play is all I'm looking for...and multiplayer.

[quote name='idiotech']I just signed up for an account (hey everyone) to tell you, specifically, NOT to get little league world series 08 DS. It is terrible, just trust me. Worse game purchase I've ever made.

I just bought Power Pros 2008 DS but I haven't opened it yet. Still awaiting a decent review. I got it for the PS2 also, which has a season mode, so the lack there-of in the DS version doesn't bother me all that much. Pick up and play is all I'm looking for...and multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I assume the back of the box doesnt mention season mode?

[quote name='jza1218']I assume the back of the box doesnt mention season mode?[/quote]

you are correct in that assumption.

"Fun Game Modes -- Play several different game modes, including Matchup, Playoffs and Home Run Challenge"

bread's done
Back