MLB Power Pros(Wii) - $19.99 at Best Buy

My Best Buy sold out of them, will Circuit City PM me or will I be better able to discuss intelligently politics with a wall?

Grabbed a copy at the Costa Mesa, CA store today at lunch. If anyone in the area is still looking for one, they had one left out on the floor and at least one (possibly more) locked up in the Wii game cage in the video game section.

The CC I went to would not match the price because it wasn't 'in stock' in the Best Buy in my hometown. :roll: This was NOT explained to me at all and came as a surprise to me.

I don't understand how a product being in stock has much bearing on a price match guarantee. If you're going to honor a price match, honor a price match. Don't play semantics over it. I said, "It wouldn't matter because they would have it in stock somewhere." CC MUST enjoy turning doing that, pissing off customers and turning away business.

I felt like damn Milton from Office Space and I really didn't want to cuss the guy out over it.

well, one of the two BBs in my town had them....went there, they probably still had them since they had it on an endcap still marked 39.99. Worked for me since it still rang up 19.....as has been said previously, I was done by games for myself this year....till.....yeah....damn these people and their too good to pass up deals.....

[quote name='guyinga']The CC I went to would not match the price because it wasn't 'in stock' in the Best Buy in my hometown. :roll: This was NOT explained to me at all and came as a surprise to me.

I don't understand how a product being in stock has much bearing on a price match guarantee. If you're going to honor a price match, honor a price match. Don't play semantics over it. I said, "It wouldn't matter because they would have it in stock somewhere." CC MUST enjoy turning doing that, pissing off customers and turning away business.

I felt like damn Milton from Office Space and I really didn't want to cuss the guy out over it.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, except that's pretty much standard price match policy... it's just luck that many clerks don't bother to call the stores to verify, unless it's an obviously high-demand product.

OOS at my closest BB. Will Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or Circuit City PM this deal? Also, how do stores know if an item is OOS when trying to PM? Do they call the competitor and check with them before you attempt to buy the item?

[quote name='cheapasskoji']OOS at my closest BB. Will Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or Circuit City PM this deal? Also, how do stores know if an item is OOS when trying to PM? Do they call the competitor and check with them before you attempt to buy the item?[/quote]

yes

I have the ps2 so I'll pass,but its one of the best baseball games I've played in awhile.I'd def. recommend it if you dont have it on ps2,or if trying it with the wii controls is something your interested in.

ok, someone tell me if this game is good enough for my money.(i have so little money now after TRU B2G1 free) if "yes" is the answer, i will go and pricematch at CC for 17.98(or something like that) thanks.

For anyone who missed out on this deal:

I've a copy of MLB Power Pros for Wii enroute from BestBuy.com after I instructed them to cancel the order--I picked it up in store instead. Rather than fooling with returning it to BB, I'd like to offer it to a fellow CAG who missed out.

If you want it, I'll sell it at cost plus USPS shipping to you. PayPal only. Just PM me.

Cheers,

--BF

Don't despair if it's not listed as in-stock at your local store on the BB web page. I decided to check mine out anyway and, lo and behold, they had at least 5 copies. So I was able to buy one! Can't wait to start playing, looks like an awesome game.

Between this and the price match of the Super Mario Galaxy deal a couple weeks ago, BB is moving back onto my "good store" list.

That's a good point, the in-store locator on BB.com is a bit wonky, and it depends on if the local warehouse has stock to replenish the local store after your order. Below a certain quantity threshold, if the local warehouse is out of stock, they won't list it as available for in-store pickup. (from how I understand it, bb.com "replaces" stock in stores after an in-store pickup)

(or something like that :) )

All 6 local stores have not had it in all week where I live according to the site. The website has been sold out for days. Doesn't it help to actually, you know, have a product in stock when one advertises it on sale? Do they give rain checks for this sort of thing?

At least one copy is at Westwood, CA-- they've changed their Wii display around, they now are putting 1 copy of a game out on the racks, but have the rest locked up. (much better than the old trick of ALL games were just display cases) I didn't check the cage but one was out.

I think it's been restocked as I don't think they had any earlier in the week.

[quote name='gobz']If I buy the thing online how long do i have to pick it up from the store before they restock it?[/QUOTE]

I think that it is 6 days. Don't take my word for it, but that's what I remember.

Great deal. I just picked up two copies at the BB in Springfield, OR. They have at least 4 copies left. To make the deal even sweeter, I used the Best Buy $10 off of $29.99 coupon. The cashier said that he thought it would only work for one game valued at $29.99, but it rang up no problem. I also used a $5 BB rewards coupon and a free $6.50 gift card that I got from BB screwing up my Mass Effect order. Two copies of MLB Power Pros for $18.48!

can you get a rain check? because i have been to 6 stores and they are all sold out... But i really want this game, any other way to get it?

Thanks

[quote name='reltoolman']can you get a rain check? because i have been to 6 stores and they are all sold out... But i really want this game, any other way to get it?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

They gave me a rain check.

The only disappointing thing about this baseball game is the lack of Wii-motion controls throughout. It doesn't even allow fielding, which could have done easily with the directional pad and the B trigger as dive / jump (since they are too lazy to do anything but to put in hitting and pitching for Wiimote motion). Throwing could have easily been accomplished by either holding down the direction of the base and doing a throwing motion or swinging the Wiimote in the direction of the right base (actually this would suck since the Wiimote can be highly inaccurate at times). How awesome would that be? Throw harder and you might get the guy out. It would be a step up from the Wii Sports no fielding crap.

Why is it, I (and probably about 98% of the people here) can make a better controlling baseball game with the Wiimote than big name developers?

Everything else about this game is pretty cool. It's just too bad there wasn't enough thought put into exploiting the Wiimote.

I got the last copy at the Hulen Fort Worth store - they held it for me. There were apparently copies in Burleson and Weatherford (near fort worth).

Haven't played it yet.

I agree that they should have put motion controls in here big time. For the past few weeks, since I heard about this game, I thought "I would get this if it has motion controls", but I realized: although there is a ton of wasted potential here, that doesn't change the overall quality of the game. I got a classic controller to play it (and geometry wars!!!) and intend to enjoy the H out of it (even without motion controls).

[quote name='Judge Groovyman']I got the last copy at the Hulen Fort Worth store - they held it for me. There were apparently copies in Burleson and Weatherford (near fort worth).

Haven't played it yet.

I agree that they should have put motion controls in here big time. For the past few weeks, since I heard about this game, I thought "I would get this if it has motion controls", but I realized: although there is a ton of wasted potential here, that doesn't change the overall quality of the game. I got a classic controller to play it (and geometry wars!!!) and intend to enjoy the H out of it (even without motion controls).[/QUOTE]

It's one of the best baseball games I have ever played. Even still, I felt it could have been so much more.

Guys, call them up and give them the SKU. The in store locater isn't as accurate as their actual computer. Also, shipments come in at night so you can call before closing and know if they'll have it the next day.

Also, BEST BUY GIVES A RAINCHECK FOR EVERYTHING IN THEIR ADS! The only time they don't is when it blatantly says "No Rainchecks" (i.e. for the Wii or something), so even if your local BB is out, you can still get in on this!

[quote name='opportunity777']It's one of the best baseball games I have ever played. Even still, I felt it could have been so much more.[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. For how amazing the game is it felt that there could be more. Specifically in the rpg mode (forgot the actual name).

I just got three copies at Keene, NH Circuit City price matched. And a copy of Mario kart: DD for $20.

Thanks for telling the boards about it!

I'm torn.

I have a Wii and a PS2/PS3 and I *really* want MLB Power Pros.

I went to BB a few days ago for the PS2 version for $20 w/ the $10/off coupon before knowing a Wii version existed, but I changed my mind about buying yet-another-$20-game, especially a baseball game (The last good baseball games I played were RBI Baseball and Base Wars for NES, and MLB Power Pros looked similar to me.) and I walked out w/ nothing. I decided to do more research.

I discovered there was a Wii version, and then found out it doesn't really exploit anything about the Wii. Is it weird for me to not want the Wii version because I use my PS3 way more often? It's almost like I want to minimize my Wii titles, restricting them to Wii-only or Wii-mote-intensive games. I already went this route with Lego Star Wars and Okami because I don't think the Wii-mote helps these much, so I'm staying the course on this one.

I mean, it's not like there are any special features (who gives a crap about Miis and crappy Wii-Sports-like Wiimote batting). The good old dual-shock is WAY more comfortable. The PS2/PS3 saves are more fun to collect than Wii's memory for saves. The PS3 has upscaling modes and potential for future tweaks.

It's the classic issue of which ports to buy and defining a rule of thumb.

Can anyone argue why I'd be missing out on something great w/ the PS2 version?

[quote name='Gamelore']I'm torn.

I have a Wii and a PS2/PS3 and I *really* want MLB Power Pros.

I went to BB a few days ago for the PS2 version for $20 w/ the $10/off coupon before knowing a Wii version existed, but I changed my mind about buying yet-another-$20-game, especially a baseball game (The last good baseball games I played were RBI Baseball and Base Wars for NES, and MLB Power Pros looked similar to me.) and I walked out w/ nothing. I decided to do more research.

I discovered there was a Wii version, and then found out it doesn't really exploit anything about the Wii. Is it weird for me to not want the Wii version because I use my PS3 way more often? It's almost like I want to minimize my Wii titles, restricting them to Wii-only or Wii-mote-intensive games. I already went this route with Lego Star Wars and Okami because I don't think the Wii-mote helps these much, so I'm staying the course on this one.

I mean, it's not like there are any special features (who gives a crap about Miis and crappy Wii-Sports-like Wiimote batting). The good old dual-shock is WAY more comfortable. The PS2/PS3 saves are more fun to collect than Wii's memory for saves. The PS3 has upscaling modes and potential for future tweaks.

It's the classic issue of which ports to buy and defining a rule of thumb.

Can anyone argue why I'd be missing out on something great w/ the PS2 version?[/quote]

Seems like if you are more comfortable with the dual-shock then it's PS2/3 for you. I don't think there are vastly different features - you'll probably enjoy it immensely.

I wouldn't agree that the dual-shock is more comfortable than the classic - I guess it just depends on your hands and how they stretch and sit.

BTW: I played it today and after a home run derby and an exhibition game I'm totally hooked. What a blast!

The only thing really different between both is I'm going to guess Wiimote mode. Wiimote mode is really a blast. It's like Wii Sports, except you shake the wiimotes to Run or Catch the ball (if you're on defense). In Wii Sports, it pretty much runs and catches for you.

Well that sucks, I really wanted this game. My BB had them early last sunday and I waited, they sold out that afternoon and never got anymore in stock :( :(

[quote name='Gosha']Is this still 19.99? I don't see it listed anymore on the web site.[/QUOTE]

It was in the weekly ad. I did get a raincheck for when it finally shows back up in stock at my store...

Thanks for bumping this 2 weeks later. ;-)

My local BB has the game at $40 again.

Though my wife went to get it for me last week and the worker there told her it didn't exist for the Wii, only PS2.

bread's done
Back