MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely don't get the "BJ won that" nonsense. Edgar didn't KO him or anything, but he certainly won definitively. BJ just didn't do enough round by round to win the fight.

I am also against this instant rematch BS with Shogun and Penn. Let's shake up the division or something.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I definitely don't get the "BJ won that" nonsense. Edgar didn't KO him or anything, but he certainly won definitively. BJ just didn't do enough round by round to win the fight.

I am also against this instant rematch BS with Shogun and Penn. Let's shake up the division or something.[/QUOTE]

I dont like immediate rematches at all. if the fights close its close, doesnt mean we need to see it again right away. there are exceptions, but a close decision isnt one in my opinion.

I cant see how that fight or the shogun/machida 1 are anything other than close decisions whose outcome relied on how the individual scores the fight, there was nothing definitive about either of them.

I was cool with the Machida vs. Shogun rematch, thinking Shogun was cheated out of a win there thanks to judges and some of their views of leg kicks not being effective and shouldn't count.

For Edgar vs. Penn though,although I didn't see it so can't say how close of a fight It was but there doesn't seem to be as much of a need to do a rematch,but put him up against Kenflo and I'd say he'd lose the belt, and Kenflo would lose the belt back to Penn at least in my opinion so I don't mind the rematch as much since they can just get this over with already and the belt won't be a revolving door for a while.Although I think Gray Maynard would beat Edgar again in a 3 round fight,if it was a championship 5 rounder I'd say Edgar has a decent shot at retaining with Maynard's cardio the way it is.

Seems to be a lot of championship rematches as of late,those two up there, and talks of Sonnen vs. Silva again.

saw a match last night with this wicked asian chick who was a submission monster. she beat this chick with an ar bar or something but i didnt get her name. does anyone know who she is last i hear she was 21 and 0. japanese i believe.

It's hard to rule on immediate rematches because while I greatly dislike them, I do feel the Shogun/Machida rematch was warranted. It seemed fairly obvious that Shogun won that first fight. However, being happy about the rematch (which proved to be justified) makes me feel like I'm playing both sides. So, to avoid immediate rematches, in that case, I would have given Shogun maybe a one fight turnaround. Let Machida defend against another top contender, have Shogun fight a top guy, and if he wins that, give him another shot.

Look how long it has taken Jon Fitch to get another shot at GSP (5 consecutive wins and what will most likely be 3 years by the time they fight). It would have been fucking terrible if that happened to Shogun after he basically beat Machida the first time. So, no to immediate rematches, but when it's a close call, yes to quick turnarounds. At least something to say "Yeah, you beat me. But I'm still the top contender, and I'm not going away."

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/8/15/1624421/report-antonio-rodrigo-nogueira

I kinda like this match up. Hope Cro Cop takes his head off.

The thing about Edgar/Penn, I believe that Edgar clearly out-pointed him and won the fight. No rematch should be given. On the other hand, a rematch was in order for Shogun/Machida. Shogun was clearly winning the fight, its the judges fault on this one, because they don't score leg kicks as high as punches or takedowns. For the people who say you got to beat the champ to get the belt, are idiots(as in KO/TKO/sub). If Chael did not fuck up in the last two minutes, We would be talking about how Silva needs to be given an immediate rematch. Oh well, it should be an exciting fight, like it was last time.

The Kenflo/Maynard fight, should determine who the number one lightweight contender is.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah fujii is pretty awesome.

sonnen is a wet blanket and i hope he doesn't get an immediate rematch. i'd much rather see nate or okami in there.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']sonnen is a wet blanket and i hope he doesn't get an immediate rematch. i'd much rather see nate or okami in there.[/QUOTE]

While I don't think he should get an immediate rematch, calling Sonnen a "wet blanket" is absurd. I don't know many wet blankets that completely manhandle and beat on a guy for 23 minutes. For all the shit talking Chael did, like it or not, he backed it up and gave Silva a beatdown like no one ever has. Some of the opinions in this thread are becoming rather comical.

mega megu is awesome, she doesnt have the recognition in america she deserves.

i agree with the quick turnarounds n8 mentioned. i close decision loss shouldnt effect a fighters supposed ranking very much.

[quote name='paz9x']owned? if thats a serious statement your future opinions in this thread are worthless.[/QUOTE]

You are out of your mind if you don't think BJ Penn got utterly destroye by Frankie. I assume you think Sean Sherk beat Edgar as well? Because basically the exact same fight as Sherk/Edgar unfolded in Penn/Edgar. A guy following another around the cage while getting punched in the face, but doing nothing himself shouldn't be considered competitive.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I definitely don't get the "BJ won that" nonsense. Edgar didn't KO him or anything, but he certainly won definitively. BJ just didn't do enough round by round to win the fight.

I am also against this instant rematch BS with Shogun and Penn. Let's shake up the division or something.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Penn did next to nothing for the entire fight. Just following him around.

I think instant rematches are good in some situations, where it is warranted. Sonnen/Silva = OK for obvious reasons. Shogun/Machida = OK for being so close and many thinking Shogun won. Penn/Edgar = NO because it wasn't even close. I don't get the double standard here. Like I said you know if Penn won like he was supposed to Frankie would have been out of title contention for at least 4-5 fights.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']yeah fujii is pretty awesome.

sonnen is a wet blanket and i hope he doesn't get an immediate rematch. i'd much rather see nate or okami in there.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter about style of fighting, Sonnen did great and was on his way to a shutout win over the champion. Marquardt doesn't deserve the shot yet, and Okami...maybe...after a couple more fights. It sounds like Okami could be the next shot after Sonnen and Belfort.

i've been in grappling matches where i got hurt more than silva.

silva literally walked away nearly unscathed and did more damage throughout the fight than sonnen. same goes for sonnen/nate.

Technically, yeah Silva caused a lot more damage and he was only close to getting stopped once, and he wasn't hurt but the ref was looking in close. Can't wait to see the rematch, when Silva rips Sonnen apart. Although I don't know if it happens because I heard.....

Sonnen and Bisping will coach the next TUF season IF Bisping can get past Akiyama (he won't, he'll get stopped hahahaha). Sonnen would lay on Bisping so much, it would be a mismatch. Too bad the fight won't happen though....

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Technically, yeah Silva caused a lot more damage and he was only close to getting stopped once, and he wasn't hurt but the ref was looking in close. Can't wait to see the rematch, when Silva rips Sonnen apart. Although I don't know if it happens because I heard.....

Sonnen and Bisping will coach the next TUF season IF Bisping can get past Akiyama (he won't, he'll get stopped hahahaha). Sonnen would lay on Bisping so much, it would be a mismatch. Too bad the fight won't happen though....[/QUOTE]
that has potential to beinteresting as opposing coaches. I see no way bisping wins the fight though.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i've been in grappling matches where i got hurt more than silva.

silva literally walked away nearly unscathed and did more damage throughout the fight than sonnen. same goes for sonnen/nate.[/QUOTE]

Oh so thats why Silva has broken ribs? He might not hit hard, but it also shows Silva can take punishment

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Oh so thats why Silva has broken ribs? He might not hit hard, but it also shows Silva can take punishment[/QUOTE]
....he had 'em in bad shape before the fight...

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I missed the first round, but the 2nd/3rd, was intense[/QUOTE]

1st was like the 2nd. just a great fight.

Strikeforce: Houston
10pm ET/PT TONIGHT

Main Card

Sherdog.com Live Stream

Preliminary Card

• Featherweight bout: Vinicius Magalhães vs. Rocky Long
  • Lightweight bout: Adam Schindler vs. Kier Gooch
  • Lightweight bout: Jose Santibanez vs. Reynaldo Trujillo
  • Bantamweight bout: Chad Robichaux vs. Humberto Deleon
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Chad Cook vs. Arteneus Young

Picks:

Lashley stops Griggs in Round 1 by TKO.
Gurgel continues to stand and strike, and Noons knocks him out in Round 1.
Souza submits Kennedy in Round 3.
Lawal beats Cavalcante and wins by KO in Round 1.

Dear Strikeforce,

Your booking is trash.

Love,
Earth

It'll probably be the fight of the night. I'm not too sure who's going to win. I'm real surprised Strikeforce hasn't built-up Tim Kennedy as a personality. He's in the military, likable, and it makes no sense for them to not add some build to this match. Strikeforce, when not using the CBS media cannon, isn't particularly good with their marketing. =/

I like kennedy, seems like a solid guy, no bullshit, gets after it, never boring. cant ask for anymore. im a jacare fan but i wont be upset if he pulls it out, its good to see him get a solid fighter, i dont think hes fought anybody of note since mayhem.
[quote name='Chase']It'll probably be the fight of the night. I'm not too sure who's going to win. I'm real surprised Strikeforce hasn't built-up Tim Kennedy as a personality. He's in the military, likable, and it makes no sense for them to not add some build to this match. Strikeforce, when not using the CBS media cannon, isn't particularly good with their marketing. =/[/QUOTE]

Entertaining card by Strikeforce. If I had any attachment to any of their fighters, I would have jumped out of my seat for a few fights. While Strikeforce has much more exposure, Bellator has much better fighters and a deeper roster. I'd love to see Bellator explode as a competitor to the UFC.

Lashley ended up getting exposed fairly bad last night,reportedly he had to be taken out on a stretcher because of being so damned tired.Batista vs. Bobby makes a bunch of sense at this point.I'd take Lashley round 1 tko still though.

the santiago/misaki fight last night at sengoku 14 was fantastic. if you didnt catch you should because it was one of the better fights this year.

I didn't expect King Mo or Lashley to lose. Next event I am excited for is UFC119, Ryan Bader gets to fight Little Nog.

War Bader!

I'd take Bader winning this fight,as seen in his last fight and many of the other Black House members their biggest weak point happens to be their wrestling,and sadly thats Bader's bread and butter right there. Bader via unanimous decision.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I'd take Bader winning this fight,as seen in his last fight and many of the other Black House members their biggest weak point happens to be their wrestling,and sadly thats Bader's bread and butter right there. Bader via unanimous decision.
[/QUOTE]

Bader is a dominant wrestler, plus like we saw at the TUF finale he does have knockout power as well.

At this point if anyone is going to face him I'd take a rematch with Chael over all the others.Chael hit Anderson more then Anderson's previous 11 fights combined making it a special feat.It'll be interesting to see how the rematch goes with Anderson's rib healed up to see if it was more of a fluke how bad he was dominated thanks to the rib.I'd rather see Vitor get another fight in before getting a titleshot its been close to a year and he hasn't fought since dealing with an injury of his own.With Chael's robotic trash talk its no wonder hes getting a rematch as Anderson's usual ppv's tend to do around 350k buys and his match with Sonnen was reportedly around 1 million from what I've heard so close to almost x3.

The only other guy I'd like to see get a title shot would be Yushin Okami,he can be fairly boring to watch but hes another strong grappler guy that could have a bigger chance the most.Hopefully no more jit jutsu guys as Anderson Silva doesn't seem willing to engage with any of em but can't blame him for playing towards his strengths.

I'm not a fan of instant rematches for bouts with clear cut winners. While Silva's recovering from the rib injury I'd rather see Okami/Vitor (Either shows that Vitor still deserves the title shots he had to give up or that Okami can handle the pressure of a fast, very good striker) or Chael/Maia 2 (Gives Sonnen a chance to avenge a very embarrassing loss and prove he might have learned and developed some basic submission defense to handle Silva again) to sort out the #1 contender spot.

The thing is, this is less of an "instant rematch" and more of a "there's no one else". I'm a big fan of Vitor Belfort, but between not fighting for a year and just the style he has, I think Anderson could handle him a lot easier than he could handle Sonnen. Okami is an interesting idea, but I don't think he's quite there yet. He's had a good run lately, but give him one or two more fights before throwing him to the wolves. Really, the choice was either this or force Anderson to move up to LHW and stay there. But that would nix any potential for him to fight GSP down the road. But if Sonnen loses this fight, he might as well retire, lol.

[quote name='Grizzly Taint']I'm not a fan of instant rematches for bouts with clear cut winners. While Silva's recovering from the rib injury I'd rather see Okami/Vitor (Either shows that Vitor still deserves the title shots he had to give up or that Okami can handle the pressure of a fast, very good striker) or Chael/Maia 2 (Gives Sonnen a chance to avenge a very embarrassing loss and prove he might have learned and developed some basic submission defense to handle Silva again) to sort out the #1 contender spot.[/QUOTE]

Ya know what, I agree with this. I guess it depends how long Silva is going to be out, and if it's enough time to get these fights in. But those are both interesting matchups. I don't think giving Maia another shot at Silva would be a good idea though, as Silva showed very little interest in that fight. But I get the reasoning for matching him up with Sonnen. I think the biggest factor here is the PPV buys that Sonnen brought in. And people can think what they want about that, but Sonnen took it upon himself to make sure his fight with Anderson wouldn't go the way of Cote/Leites/Maia. He made it exciting, and he does deserve the recognition for that. But I will say, if Sonnen loses again, he might as well retire, lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But I will say, if Sonnen loses again, he might as well retire, lol.[/QUOTE]

he'll have to go fight rich franklin.

UFC 118: Edgar v Penn II
Saturday Night 9/8 ET

Main card

• Welterweight bout:
    22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    Nate Diaz vs.
    Marcus Davis
  • Lightweight bout:
    Kenny Florian vs.