MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murdered might be too strong of a word, but Diaz is definitely superior on the feet. He devastated Smith and Shamrock. Do I think Nick would win, probably not because I don't see him stopping GSP from getting the takedown, but it would be an interesting fight.

Shields has no chance against GSP. It would be a mirror of GSP vs. Fitch.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Murdered might be too strong of a word, but Diaz is definitely superior on the feet. He devastated Smith and Shamrock. Do I think Nick would win, probably not because I don't see him stopping GSP from getting the takedown, but it would be an interesting fight.

Shields has no chance against GSP. It would be a mirror of GSP vs. Fitch.[/QUOTE]

I can more or less agree with this. Nick would have to practice alot working from his back as he hasn't had to do it in a fight much lately. And his takedown defense would have to be on point for him to have any shot at a decision win.

After Shields fight with Miller I'm not even sure what to think of him anymore, but there's no way in hell that what he did to Miller would be replicated in a fight with GSP.

[quote name='Maklershed']If Kenny wins this by choke I have a chance of breaking into the top 100 on fantasy.ufc for this event.[/QUOTE]
Well done! Shame to see the old Gomi didn't show up for this one. He got picked apart on the feet and dominated on the ground.

Still wasn't enough to get into the top 100. Close though.

For people that have been watching UFC longer than me - is this Tito and Chuck feud made up for TUF11? I thought they were friends? I was watching a bunch of old UFC/Pride events not too long ago and those two always seemed to be in each others corner.

[quote name='Maklershed']Still wasn't enough to get into the top 100. Close though.

For people that have been watching UFC longer than me - is this Tito and Chuck feud made up for TUF11? I thought they were friends? I was watching a bunch of old UFC/Pride events not too long ago and those two always seemed to be in each others corner.[/QUOTE]

The hatred between Chuck and Tito is definitely not manufactured for the show. They've fought twice already (Chuck winning both times) and they have hated each other for a while. Anything they say towards each other this season will be legitimate. :boxing:

Tito is a ham and will play it up for the cameras. He and Chuck genuinely dislike each other at this point. They used to be friends and then Chuck accused Tito of "ducking him" when Chuck was hunting the LHW belt.

Diaz superior to GSP on the feet? Super cruddy fighters like Shamrock and Smith can't be your evidence of that. They'd get annihilated against GSP in any striking contest. I think it could be competitive on the feet, but Diaz having any sort of "definite" advantage is only going to come by his physical shape. Oddly following Florian's anti-Gomi moves is going to be the only way for Diaz to hopefully frustrate GSP.

Gomi doesn't surprise me with losses. The guy has zero heart. He folds at the first sign of a game opponent and never fights back from adversity.

Roy Nelson is just as bad of a man as I said he'd be. I was cheering as he laid out Struve in no time flat.

Just got back from the event about 30 minutes ago. Crazy night of fights! Not sure what it looked like at home as the Nelson - Struve fight was about to start, but the freaking power went out at the arena (though we also noticed it out in other parts of Charlotte as the nearby Denny's power was out and they had to close, severely throwing a wrench into our post-fight breakfast plans).

The arena had emergency lights on for about 7-10 minutes while they fixed whatever the hell went haywire. Kinda funny that in a time crunch, the fight only lasted :35. I'd never be one to accuse fights of being rigged (especially with Struve getting his face smashed), but it wouldn't surprise me if Dana told the guys he'd give them an extra $10,000 to keep the fight standing and fight like it was the last round.

I was happy my man KenFlo crushed any thoughts of Gomi stealing the fight by showing complete domination in the 3rd round. Sad that Nate Quarry didn't give a better effort, and Jacob Volkmann disappointed me with a little too much "lay and pray" (though Nik Lentz was even worse). Okami looked really sharp though. And Gerald Harris pulled out a great KO after being rocked and on the verge of going himself.

I got some good pictures, and will try to post them tomorrow. Really fun night overall. Nobody does it like the UFC! :)

I'm having a time of putting my picks together for the Dos Anos / Etim and Grove / Munoz fights. I wanna say Etim and Grove to win but I fear Dos Anos and Munoz wild card abilities. Especially Munoz. He could just pop Grove out of nowhere and end it. I'm also really conflicted on the methods/rounds for the main event fights. (except for Silva/Maia which I have as a first round KO :))

Working the 2010 Pan Jiu-jitsu Tournament this weekend. Unreal how much money we're pulling in selling tapes, shirts, and gi.

Watched some girl get dumped on her head by a girl half her size today. Smaller girl was getting tossed around in the stand up, so she went to her back. One body scissors and a quick turn of the hips later, big girl was on her face in a leg bar.

Silva, Penn, Hughes, Etim, and Grove to win

I forgot to do the under card picks on fantasy.ufc ... looks like I wont be breaking into the top 100 this time either :(

And with that I'm now on an official MMA media blackout until tomorrow. Some buddies and I are getting 112 tonight and I don't wanna see what happens.

silva via tko, penn via tko, renzo via sub (i think hughes is gonna decision him), etim via tko, grove via triangle (i wanna see mark win)

so im a big bj fan. him and wanderlei are my favorites, have been for years. every time either fight im nervous sometimes literally nauseous, but since yesterday i had a bad feeling. i havent seen the fight yet but i will. it reminded me of the forrest shogun prefight shit where literally everybody was laughing about forrest getting murdered.

the positive is we have a shake up in a division that was a bore because of the lack of competition at the top.

also, i dont want to ever see silva fight at 185 again. hes a dickhead. why he thinks its funny or even acceptable to mock another professional fighter like hes done numerous times is beyond me. dana should let him fight at heavy weight. i want to see a fight where this guy can get his head smashed so hes not going to be prancing around like a ballerina. let him fight cain or even brock. this guy more than any fighter ive ever seen needs an ass kicking.

props to maia, i wouldnt have a problem stripping silva and giving the belt to maia. atleast maia wanted to fight.

I couldn't care less if I EVER see Anderson Silva fight again. I said this after the Leites fight. Put him on the undercard and cut his pay. It's bullshit to keep spouting this "Sometimes fights don't go the way the crowd wants" garbage.

The reason some fights are boring is because the fighters are struggling against each other and neither is letting the other gain an advantage. It's not because one fighter is an asshole and would rather showboat than finish the fight. He's becoming a fucking bully. He acts like he's so much better than everybody else, but yet...is he afraid to get hit or something?

If you're THAT much better than your opponents, you shouldn't need to sit back waiting to counterpunch. Chuck Liddell in his prime was a counterpuncher too. But he could also come forward and put guys away like no other. I just hope Dana doesn't buy the "it won't happen again" BS. This is 3 times now...3 times that he's made Dana look like an idiot. Who cares how "good" Silva thinks he is. He's no longer showing it, and therefore isn't a main event fighter...or even a main card fighter anymore

well apparently dana is not happy, he said silva may be the first champ to fight on the undercard.
thats what he should do.
[quote name='n8rockerasu']I couldn't care less if I EVER see Anderson Silva fight again. I said this after the Leites fight. Put him on the undercard and cut his pay. It's bullshit to keep spouting this "Sometimes fights don't go the way the crowd wants" garbage.

The reason some fights are boring is because the fighters are struggling against each other and neither is letting the other gain an advantage. It's not because one fighter is an asshole and would rather showboat than finish the fight. He's becoming a fucking bully. He acts like he's so much better than everybody else, but yet...is he afraid to get hit or something?

If you're THAT much better than your opponents, you shouldn't need to sit back waiting to counterpunch. Chuck Liddell in his prime was a counterpuncher too. But he could also come forward and put guys away like no other. I just hope Dana doesn't buy the "it won't happen again" BS. This is 3 times now...3 times that he's made Dana look like an idiot. Who cares how "good" Silva thinks he is. He's no longer showing it, and therefore isn't a main event fighter...or even a main card fighter anymore[/QUOTE]

[quote name='paz9x']well apparently dana is not happy, he said silva may be the first champ to fight on the undercard.
thats what he should do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that too. I just hope it's not Dana being overdramatic for once. Even if he doesn't think he's doing it, Silva is mocking the UFC and all of MMA with that crap. Dana needs to send a message.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I read that too. I just hope it's not Dana being overdramatic for once. Even if he doesn't think he's doing it, Silva is mocking the UFC and all of MMA with that crap. Dana needs to send a message.[/QUOTE]

i agreee. i recant my thoughts on having him fight heavyweights, he doesnt deserve it.
putitng him on the undercard is what should be done, its perfect really. hes not selling ppvs.
if he decides to put on a performance fitting his ability it can be aired as a filler, if he continues to be a douchebag he can fulfill his contract without a round being aired.

Silva is still amazing. Just wish he would finish fights.

BJ really should have brought the fight to Edgar and maybe he should have taken it to the ground like his corner said. Haven't seen his BJJ game in awhile.

[quote name='zewone']Silva is still amazing. Just wish he would finish fights.

BJ really should have brought the fight to Edgar and maybe he should have taken it to the ground like his corner said. Haven't seen his BJJ game in awhile.[/QUOTE]

I just hope this sets up an Edgar vs Florian fight. Kenny's at the top of his game, and while he couldn't handle BJ, I think he'd fare better against Edgar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2wlP_Vj3W0&feature=player_embedded#

dana white on anderson/ufc112

I am definitely not happy w/ andersons fight. At first it normal anderson silva, feel the guy out, toy with them and land strikes. Second round it went into overdrive but i still enjoyed it and wondered when he was gonna finish the fight. then round 3, 4, 5 made me want a light to fall and hit anderson in the head, maia trying his best to strike even while outclassed tried to put on a show.

just an awful performance. penn vs edgar though was a decent fight, just wondering why penn didn't go to the ground after not dominating in the stand up for 2-3 rounds. Just felt like most those rounds were a push and why even stay there....

[quote name='paz9x']good video. man. hes really pissed. itll be interesting to see what the fallout from this is.[/QUOTE]

I think it will be a free PPV card like the hendo/rampage fight a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back