MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Greg Jackson's isn't the only camp in MMA, no offense but I hate when everyone says that a fighter who needs to improve should go to Jackson's. In any case, I think Hardy needs submissions off his back. His striking is already very good, but I don't think he can improve his TDD quickly enough to make an impact on his career. But, if he learns subs off his back, he can strike when he wants and when he gets taken down pull out subs off his back.

No question he needs to train in the US for a while though, he just isn't getting what he needs in the UK.[/QUOTE]
For guys that need to work on their ground game with mostly wrestling then Jackson's is probably the best camp to be.It definitely needs to be improved when the only thing you can do to counter it is repeated kimura's.His ground game won't improve drasticly by switching to any place but I agree with you, he needs to find a camp out of the UK.AKA would be a good place too but he seems to have too many grudges against guys there and maybe some with Jacksons as well so maybe a place like Xtreme Couture and as far as I can think of he doesn't have beef there.

I'd say the twister is a pretty dangerous move.Its pretty painful for one and can leave you with neck and back issues.Probably on the side of the more dangerous legal mma moves but its tough to catch them in one so...Just better to tap then to risk it but with only one second left its a shame he didn't hang on for just a little longer.

[quote name='Magiblaze']For guys that need to work on their ground game with mostly wrestling then Jackson's is probably the best camp to be.It definitely needs to be improved when the only thing you can do to counter it is repeated kimura's.His ground game won't improve drasticly by switching to any place but I agree with you, he needs to find a camp out of the UK.AKA would be a good place too but he seems to have too many grudges against guys there and maybe some with Jacksons as well so maybe a place like Xtreme Couture and as far as I can think of he doesn't have beef there.

I'd say the twister is a pretty dangerous move.Its pretty painful for one and can leave you with neck and back issues.Probably on the side of the more dangerous legal mma moves but its tough to catch them in one so...Just better to tap then to risk it but with only one second left its a shame he didn't hang on for just a little longer.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I think he needs submissions off his back not pure wrestling training. Somebody like Cesar Gracie's team would be great for him because the Cesar Gracie camp embraces striking and submissions (off their back). Jake Shields is one of the few at the camp who purely wrestles and rarely subs or strikes with people.

[quote name='Maklershed']Thiago Silva officially suspended for submitting non-human urine

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23038/nsac-thiago-silvas-ufc-125-sample-inconsistent-with-human-urine.mma

What a dummy[/QUOTE]

Bahahaha, Thiago looked better then I've ever seen him against Brandon Vera and all this stuff is circulating around him. I venture to guess that he had some...illegal substances helping him out in that fight. If he didn't, he would just have submitted a HUMAN sample, tested clean and cleared his name.

I wouldn't say he rarely subs people but yeah his striking isn't so great so its understandable there.Hes got the skills but just isn't very explosive.I hear hes brought in Chael Sonnen and Matt Lindland to come help him out for the fight.Good move imo but I'll still be going with GSP.

Not talking about just pure wrestling training but grappling all around but wrestling is the main thing he needs to work on even more then submissions since he was being controlled seemingly with ease and every takedown Johnson went for he got.He just didn't do much to transition out of it.Most of the Cesar's Gracie's team suffers from the same problem against wrestlers being stuck from someone with a good top game being controlled.

UFC ultimate knockouts is on spike all day today... and www.joerogan.net his last podcast is with eddie bravo from monday they talk a lot about the twister used by the korean zombie at the start of the show. very intresting listen.

Indeed, plus I believe a brown belt in BJJ. Rogan knows his shit. He marked heavily when Zombie used the Twister. I'm sure he'd be hyperactive-child-running-around-the-room estatic if GSP dropped Shields with one of those kicks.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I wouldn't say he rarely subs people but yeah his striking isn't so great so its understandable there.Hes got the skills but just isn't very explosive.I hear hes brought in Chael Sonnen and Matt Lindland to come help him out for the fight.Good move imo but I'll still be going with GSP.

Not talking about just pure wrestling training but grappling all around but wrestling is the main thing he needs to work on even more then submissions since he was being controlled seemingly with ease and every takedown Johnson went for he got.He just didn't do much to transition out of it.Most of the Cesar's Gracie's team suffers from the same problem against wrestlers being stuck from someone with a good top game being controlled.[/QUOTE]

Lindland is iffy, but Sonnen (and he looks huge from what I've seen) is a good move. Best wrestler in the middleweight division and certainly better then GSP. Shields/GSP revolves around Shields being able to survive long enough to get GSP down and work submissions IMO.

Speaking of Dennis Siver, I think Siver vs Wiman is my most anticipated fight of the upcoming few months.

Also :whee: to the fact that UFC might be coming to Pittsburgh and Philly this summer. I intend to go to both if it happens.

[quote name='Maklershed']Speaking of Dennis Siver, I think Siver vs Wiman is my most anticipated fight of the upcoming few months.

Also :whee: to the fact that UFC might be coming to Pittsburgh and Philly this summer. I intend to go to both if it happens.[/QUOTE]

Siver/Wiman is interesting simply because Siver wins the striking war but will the excellent wrestler Wiman be able to get him down to submit him? Dun dun duhhhhhh, very good stylistic match up.

Eddie's a meh...no way he should be in top 5 of LW rankings. He couldn't outbox Frankie and doesn't have great wrestling either. He's in the top 10, but not top 5.

(Although three of the top 5 slots are taken up by Pettis, Edgar and Maynard...its tough to make it into the elite level rankings haha.)

In case you fellas didn't see Jardine is scheduled to fight Mousasi next weekend. I love Jardine so good luck to him but I don't have high hopes for a guy who is 2-5 in his last 7 fights and those 2 wins are against jobbers.

Its a good replacement but yeah I wouldn't bet the house on Jardine.Gegard has k-1 level striking and with Jardine's chin either seem to go out the first round or go to a decision except that Bader fight I just wouldn't touch the betting lines with Jardine.Maybe he'll finally use his wrestling and could possibly get the win.

Short recap:

Aoki looked great, and the fight went as expected. Wasn't certain if Aoki was going to get a takedown (he did, with ease), but I knew as soon as it hit the floor Aoki would sub Beerbohm.

Melendez looked very good, and his striking is coming along nicely. He is a very solid fighter, although I wouldn't put him up there with Pettis/Maynard/Edgar yet.

Diaz outstrikes another striker, albeit Diaz got dropped twice but he knocked Daley out hard for the first time in Daley's career. Diaz is getting hurt all the time lately but ends up stopping his opponent in some way eventually, this man deserves to be back in the UFC ASAP.

P.S. Mousasi/Jardine...obviously was not a draw and the upkick to a grounded opponent rule is just idiotic IMO. Mousasi still should have won 29-27 in my mind though, considering the 2nd round was Mousasi's and the 3rd was a 10-8 round.

Melendez looked fantastic again but I think beast wrestling will probably prove his downfall vs. UFC stars.

Diaz got a little gift as he didn't get stopped while down but Daley got stopped after only 3 real landed blows. The same real quick Silva vs. Marquardt style stoppage that I hate to see. He probably would have still won but I like to see it played out a bit more.

Mousasi got robbed but man Jardine's heart on short notice is impressive.

Its not that Shields is going to show GSP something new, but don't you think Roger and Braulio is destroying GSP on the ground? YES. Also, you have to consider that Shields is just as big, if not bigger, then GSP and is the best BJJ fighter GSP has ever fought. Not picking Shields yet, but don't underestimate him yet!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Its not that Shields is going to show GSP something new, but don't you think Roger and Braulio is destroying GSP on the ground? YES. Also, you have to consider that Shields is just as big, if not bigger, then GSP and is the best BJJ fighter GSP has ever fought. Not picking Shields yet, but don't underestimate him yet![/QUOTE]

obviously theyre WAY above him on the ground, thats the point.
roger is bigger than gsp and shields if youre comparing size.

anybody who underestimates shields is a moron, but hes not roger or braulio on the ground.

edit - apparently hes training with marcelo garcia, at least he knows what he has to do to win, no delusions.

as much as i think gsp is going to stay outside and jab shields to infinity, id like to see them roll for 5 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think GSP would get a decision easy if it was a stand-up fight for 25, but I'm not kidding myself; Shields will force this one down to the ground at some point. GSP is training like a motherfucker in every imaginable way, but Shields has a such a frustrating ground game. Honestly, I'm not sure how this is going to go.

[quote name='paz9x']obviously theyre WAY above him on the ground, thats the point.
roger is bigger than gsp and shields if youre comparing size.

anybody who underestimates shields is a moron, but hes not roger or braulio on the ground.

edit - apparently hes training with marcelo garcia, at least he knows what he has to do to win, no delusions.

as much as i think gsp is going to stay outside and jab shields to infinity, id like to see them roll for 5 rounds.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone knows what Shields needs to do to win this fight. It won't be easy but his wrestling and grappling is superb and GSP was taken down by Koscheck in only his last fight.

[quote name='ced']I think GSP would get a decision easy if it was a stand-up fight for 25, but I'm not kidding myself; Shields will force this one down to the ground at some point. GSP is training like a motherfucker in every imaginable way, but Shields has a such a frustrating ground game. Honestly, I'm not sure how this is going to go.[/QUOTE]

GSP will probably try to stand and bang Shields so it could end up being Shields trying to fight like GSP usually does (trying to get it down).

Wow Mayhem signs with the UFC. I slowly see this happening with many others, Strikeforce fighters will be dissolved into the UFC (if they have talent) or remain until they eventually get cut when the promotion closes its doors.

Article

[quote name='Chase']Mayhem-Bisping, anyone?[/QUOTE]

I hope you just named the next TUF coaches, they would both smack talk so much it would be epic.

[quote name='seen']Wow Mayhem signs with the UFC. I slowly see this happening with many others, Strikeforce fighters will be dissolved into the UFC (if they have talent) or remain until they eventually get cut when the promotion closes its doors.

Article[/QUOTE]

Miller is extremely underrated and underappriciated. His skills on the ground are truly great and I think he'll be a great addition to the UFC...in any case, I see Strikeforce fighters crossing over as well (as time goes by).

I like Miller coming to the UFC.In Strikeforce he just wasn't plain being used right,they never seemed like they had anything for him but then again thats somewhat common in Strikeforce.I don't think Miller will be a standout but hes another nice name to add.

Being an AMC guy myself obviously the Mighty Mouse/Torres fight has us all excited. If DJ pulls this one off there's no telling how high he'll go. He seemed to have an easy time with Kid but Torres is a different kind of fighter. Go DJ!

Miller/Bisping is an awesome fight and I would gladly sit through that TUF season for realz.

"@danawhite: '@jennajameson hey jenna SHUT THE fuck UP and mind ur biz! @titoortiz put her on a fuckin leash!!!'"

UFC President, Dana White, everyone.

Oh Dana... your lack of tact brings me much humor.

Miller is a good add to the UFC roster. He has good all-around fighting ability and charisma. Penciliing him in as a coach on TUF makes sense barring a lopsided loss at 132.

[quote name='ced']Penciliing him in as a coach on TUF makes sense barring a lopsided loss at 132.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Honestly, after this season, they need some more charismatic coaches again. The GSP - Koscheck season was all Koscheck being annoying (though GSP's way of handling it was pretty amusing). Before that, we had Tito whining because he was losing all the time and Chuck being too smart to indulge him. This season, Lesnar and Junior hardly acknowledge each other. We need two coaches to bring back the Rampage - Rashad type of animosity. Mayhem and Bisping would be perfect for that.

predictions on two fights... Couture vs. machida... i think couture can pull this one out... i think he has the ability to close the distance get in on machida take him down and keep him down... boring fight maybe, the only way that wont happen is if machida can keep the distance and utilize his kicks.

GSP vs. Shields... almost the same prediction... but remember its 5 rounds. i think GSP is just too good... too fast too quick. i think GSP wont be able to stop him though... 5 round DEC.

if these first two fights are any indication of what this whole card is going to be... sub of the night and ko of the night.

well macdonald is ready to be back.

Watson looked better in his last fight, I think makdessi is just very good, great on the feet, im surprised he didnt finish it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back