MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet weekend for mma. Strikeforce Challengers and It's Showtime (the last one was great) air tonight, Bellator 45 is tomorrow, and UFC on Versus 4 is Sunday. I can get seats 7 rows back from the ring for that but I can't get anyone to go with me. :(

James Toney vs Ken Shamrock fight on 9/23 in El Paso. I'm usually not one for the "novelty" fights, but for some reason I want to see this. It's like two people selected the "?" on the character select screen.

[quote name='KaneRobot']James Toney vs Ken Shamrock fight on 9/23 in El Paso. I'm usually not one for the "novelty" fights, but for some reason I want to see this. It's like two people selected the "?" on the character select screen.[/QUOTE]

I heard about this fight but there is talk that it might be tough to get allowed. From what I was reading they want to do different types of rounds such as, first round boxing and then second round mma, if that is the case the athetics commision for the state they are trying to have it in might have a problem with the jacked up rules they are trying to set. Lol on the ? on the character select screen thing, because that is what this fight feels like.

They did that at the Dream event at New Years I think (in Japan). It was Aoki vs Wicky. The first round was Kickboxing (wicky's expertise) and the second round was mma. Aoki went through the first round by flopping ie pretending to fall. And then at the start of the second round he went to shoot and ate a knee to the chin and got ko'ed.

[quote name='Maklershed']They did that at the Dream event at New Years I think (in Japan). It was Aoki vs Wicky. The first round was Kickboxing (wicky's expertise) and the second round was mma. Aoki went through the first round by flopping ie pretending to fall. And then at the start of the second round he went to shoot and ate a knee to the chin and got ko'ed.[/QUOTE]

That is why I love japanese mma, they are not afraid to show some freakshow fights.

[quote name='Maklershed']They did that at the Dream event at New Years I think (in Japan). It was Aoki vs Wicky. The first round was Kickboxing (wicky's expertise) and the second round was mma. Aoki went through the first round by flopping ie pretending to fall. And then at the start of the second round he went to shoot and ate a knee to the chin and got ko'ed.[/QUOTE]

aoki got ko'd by nagashima. i dont think hes ever fought wicky.

Im VERY interested to find out what happened with nate. I saw a post saying he popped on the premilinary ped test and again today when he was retested, theyre saying failed medical until the commission releases the info. Who knows the internets are crazy but it would make some sense. if it was simply weight he would have still fought, minus some of his pay.

I dont know, but i thought those ped tests took significantly longer to come back. Id bet he did something intentional and got caught.

[quote name='paz9x']aoki got ko'd by nagashima. i dont think hes ever fought wicky.[/QUOTE]

Ah right. I was trying to find who it was but it wasn't listed on Wikipedia. I guess because it was an exhibition match.

I'd imagine it must be some sort of blood transmitted disease for him to not only be off the show but fired on the spot as well.Even people that have used PEDs like certain steroids or even drugs help cut weight aren't treated so harshly.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I'd imagine it must be some sort of blood transmitted disease for him to not only be off the show but fired on the spot as well.Even people that have used PEDs like certain steroids or even drugs help cut weight aren't treated so harshly.[/QUOTE]

well im fairly sure theres no way any testing comes back that quickly, and the ufc has had numerous guys pop and remain under contract. I think its either like you said some sort of contagious disease or he was caught doing something intentionally fraudulent.

I read somewhere the commission was going to make a statement about it today.

[quote name='paz9x']well im fairly sure theres no way any testing comes back that quickly, and the ufc has had numerous guys pop and remain under contract. I think its either like you said some sort of contagious disease or he was caught doing something intentionally fraudulent.

I read somewhere the commission was going to make a statement about it today.[/QUOTE]

Yes the tests take a week to come back, Hence why fighters are ususally fined or suspended after thefight.

I live in pittsburgh and they had an interview on how much fun nate was having, being and not being recognized, really a good reflection on the sport. now this.

[quote name='seen']Wow, just saw this...Rampage is a real jerk now, lost my respect. I hope Jones knocks him into retirement!

[/QUOTE]

He almost always takes it a way too far, but I couldn't help but laugh at that video. :lol: I'm sure they've squashed it, but Rampage will keep it going forever.

Rampage always gives Ariel a hard time. I've seen the previous interviews where Rampage told him what "squashing" meant back in Memphis. This interview actually seemed less intense and Rampage was smiling a lot. I really doubt he has a problem with him.

You gotta understand Rampage. He is one of the Funniest guys going and Messes with EVERYONE. Look up some old interviews from Japan. He would intenionally talk "extra ghetto" and drop the F-bomb every other word just to crack up the other guys on the panel. the joke being, they had prim and proper young girls as transaltors and it would crack everyone up watching them try to keep up and not translate the f-bomb.

Hes just trying to joke around a lot but sometimes he pushes it a bit too far,like dry humping reporters.He does come off an ass in some interviews worse then that though.I'm surprised they're giving Rampage the next title shot over Evans.I know Dana White doesn't like Evans but Jones and Evans had a real feud brewing and to me seems like the bigger $$$ ppv with their backstory.

Strikeforce has released heavyweight fighter Brett Rogers.

Dana White, president of sister promotion UFC, confirmed the contract termination today following a UFC 132 press conference.

Rogers was arrested on Wednesday and charged with felonious third-degree assault and misdemeanor endangerment of a child following an alleged altercation with his wife.

White said the release came immediately after the arrest, which took place in Apple Valley, Minn.

Rogers, who competed in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix just two weeks ago, allegedly strangled and punched his wife after reportedly admitting to drinking earlier in the night, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today.

Rogers' bail was set at $100,000 during Wednesday's hearing. His next hearing is scheduled for Friday at 11 a.m. CT (local time).

Rogers (11-3 MMA, 2-3 SF), 30, suffered a submission loss to Josh Barnett earlier this month in an opening-round Strikeforce heavyweight grand-prix fight. The EliteXC vet opened his career with a 10-0 mark but has dropped three of his past four fights while facing notables such as Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem.

So...yup.

Hearing the cover up story is a tad funny.Allegations of being choked out, all the bruise marks and cuts and like a big giant golf ball on her head and now shes simply saying "I fell to the ground" trying to get him out of trouble.

Its a real low point of Rogers.Certainly he isn't even a top 20 Heavyweight anymore.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Hearing the cover up story is a tad funny.Allegations of being choked out, all the bruise marks and cuts and like a big giant golf ball on her head and now shes simply saying "I fell to the ground" trying to get him out of trouble.

Its a real low point of Rogers.Certainly he isn't even a top 20 Heavyweight anymore.[/QUOTE]

I dunno man, his wife looks legit and he took her out.

Pretty good card tonight. Lots of finishes. Bader's stock fell really hard though. Tito avoids his trip to the old folks home, but it seems like Wanderlai is ready to take his seat. It's sad to see him go, but it looked like he borrowed Chuck Liddell's new glass jaw. Maybe I'm retarded, but fights like that just seem pointless to me. "Hey, lets just stand in front of each other, take turns hitting each other in the face, and see who falls down first!" Yes, Leben has "one punch knockout power". Sure...when the guy lets you hold onto the back of his head and throw undefended uppercuts. Honestly, Leben is lucky he wasn't KO'd first. All that fight proved is that Wanderlai's chin has four years more of wear on it than Leben's. No offense, Chris, but you're staring into your future.

Melvin Guillard impressed the hell out of me once again. The fact that fighters like him and Sam Stout are always stuck on undercards blows my mind. Honestly, matching those two up would be a hell of a fight. The Faber/Cruz fight was madness. It was like they were both too fast to really do any damage to the other. I did feel Cruz outworked Faber though and really dominated him in the 5th round. Faber is nuts if he thought he won that fight. You gotta do more than that to take a man's belt. Judges were a little off though with one judge going 50-45 and another 48-47. But then again, I was kinda surprised Siver got a unanimous win too.

im hopeful in seeing guillard/edgar soon. id really like to see how guillard handles someone who is probably faster and a technically better boxer.

i am a huge wanderlei fan. i felt that would be the result going into the fight. hes just unable to deal with power imo. hes still great and i think that was a bad matchup for him. im surprised he didnt try and fight chris like he did bisping.

how about guillard/guida for a title shot?

Agreed on Wanderlei. He's taken too many punches to the face to be competing at this level. Guillard is damn impressive, but I'd like to see how he's tough mentally. This is a guy that has tapped out to submissions without fighting out of them. Hopefully a top 5 guy can give him a real test.

I know it could never happen because they're weight classes are outrageously different but could you imagine the frenetic pace of Cruz vs Guida? That would be insane. I'd get exhausted just watching it.

Wanderlei should retire now, despite his fan following. He has little to offer anymore, as many MW and LHW fighters are big enough punchers to crack his chin, and at MW Wanderlei is not big enough puncher to score a one punch KO before getting hit. Leben does it again, and Stann/Leben II is an obvious route to go (first fight was a fluke).

Cruz fought like garbage but Faber did nothing but try to load up on one shot at a time, and didn't jump on Cruz after knocking him down in any of the three knockdowns. Cruz certainly won, but a shutout decision is just craziness.

Bader's stock went up in flames, and he's finally getting to the point where I expected him to. The guy was never any good and when he fought three decent guys, he got beat up (even Lil' Nog laid a beating on him in a fight that Nog could have won).

Siver beat Wiman IMO, and while Siver is not title shot ready yet you cannot dispute his recent win streak. I think Guillard/Siver is the way to go now, although I would be surprised at anything less then another Guillard stoppage.

Also, Dos Anjos KO was great, and G-Sot needs to be getting put in with pure grapplers. His chin is iffy, his striking is poor and he has no power. Plus, he doesn't wrestle well, so he needs to be fighting some pure grapplers or guys with no power like Lauzon.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
I think Guillard/Siver is the way to go now, although I would be surprised at anything less then another Guillard stoppage.[/QUOTE]

I dont need to see that fight again. guillard should be fighting edgar, maynard, pettis, guida, or miller. next.

[quote name='paz9x']I dont need to see that fight again. guillard should be fighting edgar, maynard, pettis, guida, or miller. next.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Siver is nowhere close to being a top LW contender. Guillard, on the other hand, has been a wrecking ball. Miller vs Guida is probably fair for the next title shot, so doing Guillard vs Pettis would be a good test to see where both of those guys stand and just how close either of them is to realistically contending.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Agreed. Siver is nowhere close to being a top LW contender. Guillard, on the other hand, has been a wrecking ball. Miller vs Guida is probably fair for the next title shot, so doing Guillard vs Pettis would be a good test to see where both of those guys stand and just how close either of them is to realistically contending.[/QUOTE]

Come on, Siver is putting together solid wins just like Guillard is, and while the outcome would be obvious it is something I think needs to be done. Both are in the title hunt after another fight or two, and pitting them against each other would work IMO.

Guillard "won" a decision against Ronys Torres, won a super close decision to Jeremy Stephens and knocked out glass chin Roller. His win over Dunham was solid, but Guillard's competition hasn't been elite! Siver beat up Winner and G-Sot and showed heart in a victory over Wiman as well. IMO, Siver's been beating the better guys lately, and without controversial decisions as well.

Its stupid to say that Siver doesn't deserve a fight with Guillard, and that Guillard is so much closer to a title shot then Siver is. Also, why mention Edgar, Maynard or Miller? They are all tied up in fights, but Guillard/Pettis or Guillard/Guida doesn't sound too bad I guess. The same can be said for Siver though...the opportunites Guillard gets Siver should get.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Come on, Siver is putting together solid wins just like Guillard is, and while the outcome would be obvious it is something I think needs to be done. Both are in the title hunt after another fight or two, and pitting them against each other would work IMO.

Guillard "won" a decision against Ronys Torres, won a super close decision to Jeremy Stephens and knocked out glass chin Roller. His win over Dunham was solid, but Guillard's competition hasn't been elite! Siver beat up Winner and G-Sot and showed heart in a victory over Wiman as well. IMO, Siver's been beating the better guys lately, and without controversial decisions as well.

Its stupid to say that Siver doesn't deserve a fight with Guillard, and that Guillard is so much closer to a title shot then Siver is. Also, why mention Edgar, Maynard or Miller? They are all tied up in fights, but Guillard/Pettis or Guillard/Guida doesn't sound too bad I guess. The same can be said for Siver though...the opportunites Guillard gets Siver should get.[/QUOTE]

Siver is getting close, his streak is building up as well. It is my opinion that he isnt as good as guillard and I expect a fight between them to go basically like their previous fight. Id like to see them both fight better guys.

The fighters I mentioned are who I would like to see them fight, just because soem of them have fights booked doesnt mean I cant be interested in seeing guillard or even siver fight them in the near future.
right now we probably have miller getting the next shot if he wins. after that its open. I think the edgar/maynard loser would be a great fight to gauge guillards ability to fight the top of the division and a win would put him into a slot for the title imo. thats a bit off though and guida would be a great next fight imo and really puts either guy right there for a title shot.

There are a lot of potential fights, I just dont want to see guillard fighting guys outside the top 5 of the division next, its a waste imo.

[quote name='paz9x']Siver is getting close, his streak is building up as well. It is my opinion that he isnt as good as guillard and I expect a fight between them to go basically like their previous fight. Id like to see them both fight better guys.

The fighters I mentioned are who I would like to see them fight, just because soem of them have fights booked doesnt mean I cant be interested in seeing guillard or even siver fight them in the near future.
right now we probably have miller getting the next shot if he wins. after that its open. I think the edgar/maynard loser would be a great fight to gauge guillards ability to fight the top of the division and a win would put him into a slot for the title imo. thats a bit off though and guida would be a great next fight imo and really puts either guy right there for a title shot.

There are a lot of potential fights, I just dont want to see guillard fighting guys outside the top 5 of the division next, its a waste imo.[/QUOTE]

The result is pretty obvious in a Siver/Guillard rematch, but that doesn't mean Siver shouldn't be given the opportunity to pull off the upset and avenge his loss. Both guys are Top 10 at this point in the UFC, and IMO if there are slim pickings for these two then they should fight each other.

Guida looks like a logical choice for either guy though, especially Guillard. It has been a while since Guillard went up against a real strong wrestler who is durable.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Guida looks like a logical choice for either guy though, especially Guillard. It has been a while since Guillard went up against a real strong wrestler who is durable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I agree that Siver has been beating the bigger names. But I feel like most of them have shown themselves to be overrated in other fights. Winner has lost 3 straight fights. George Sotiropoulos, I really thought was going to be something. But he's lost two straight and is showing the entire world how to beat him. And some people (including Lorenzo Fertita and Justin Bieber, lol) think Siver lost to Wiman. I just don't know if he has the tools to do well against top guys. Whereas with Guillard, at the very least, there's the threat of the knockout. But I guess we'll see.

I'd put Siver firmly in the middle.Hes not considered a lower tier guy like he use to be but hes not quite at the top yet either.If you wanted the best number one contender's match for guys that have earned it at Lightweight I would go with Melvin Guillard vs. Jim Miller to decide the next one.The Lightweight division is so jammed right now and so stacked and tough that theres a good bit of fighters with more then a 7 fight win streak and counting.You have Gulliard, and Miller, and then use to have Sotiropoulos.

I do like the idea of Guida vs. Gulliard though.It'd let Miller face the winner of Maynard and Edgar and also set up another Number one contender right after the bout.With Gulliard finally living up to his potential its a rough match up for anyone.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I agree that Siver has been beating the bigger names. But I feel like most of them have shown themselves to be overrated in other fights. Winner has lost 3 straight fights. George Sotiropoulos, I really thought was going to be something. But he's lost two straight and is showing the entire world how to beat him. And some people (including Lorenzo Fertita and Justin Bieber, lol) think Siver lost to Wiman. I just don't know if he has the tools to do well against top guys. Whereas with Guillard, at the very least, there's the threat of the knockout. But I guess we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Guillard is a top level guy now that he is focused, no doubt about it. Despite his grappling vulnerabilities he is a very good striker with decent but improving takedown defense. Siver won't ever be a champion, because his sprawl isn't good enough to fend off guys like Edgar and Maynard, but he is building a nice resume and has faced off with a few solid guys already. Like I said, on the surface a Siver/Guillard rematch doesn't look great but when you look at the possible title picture and where they two are at, it makes sense.

honestly why the hell should guida have to fight anyone that doesn't have the belt? he's paid his dues and has enough fans that he should be the #1 contender, no questions asked. if i were him i'd turn down any fight that isn't going to improve my name/legacy and beating guillard doesn't do it at all.

guillard/cerrone would be my pick over siver though. let's see how good melvin and donald really are at this point in their careers.

also i had faber in rounds 1, 2, and 4. i thought cruz took 3, and 5. i was surprised at the decision.
i also thought siver won his fight and did enough to take it away from wiman.

wanderlei wasn't really ever THAT good, he definitely suffers from big fish/small pond perspective. i wasn't too surprised that meeting leben shot for shot resulted in defeat...that is exactly leben's forte.

tito putting bader down was really the highlight for me, just because you kinda wanna see things that will mess with joe silva's head. bwahahah i wonder how the baldfather felt about that one.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze'] let's see how good melvin and donald really are at this point in their careers.
[/QUOTE]

Cerrone had a title shot last year and got demolished by Ben Henderson. :(

But he's awesome and I would like to see that.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']honestly why the hell should guida have to fight anyone that doesn't have the belt? he's paid his dues and has enough fans that he should be the #1 contender, no questions asked. if i were him i'd turn down any fight that isn't going to improve my name/legacy and beating guillard doesn't do it at all.

guillard/cerrone would be my pick over siver though. let's see how good melvin and donald really are at this point in their careers.

also i had faber in rounds 1, 2, and 4. i thought cruz took 3, and 5. i was surprised at the decision.
i also thought siver won his fight and did enough to take it away from wiman.

wanderlei wasn't really ever THAT good, he definitely suffers from big fish/small pond perspective. i wasn't too surprised that meeting leben shot for shot resulted in defeat...that is exactly leben's forte.

tito putting bader down was really the highlight for me, just because you kinda wanna see things that will mess with joe silva's head. bwahahah i wonder how the baldfather felt about that one.[/QUOTE]
Guida is up there.Hes definitly in the mix for a title shot but right now thats sort of the thing in the Lightweight division.Theres tons of guys in the mix right now.

I like your idea of Guillard/Cerrone though.To me its a much more interesting bout then Guillard vs. Guida.

Wanderlei WAS that good though at one time being one of the best fighters in his heydown but hes not quite the same.Hes getting a lot like Chuck did at the end of his career.Not quite the same chin he use to have.You have to remember too that the fighters back then weren't quite the same they have now.I kinda wish he'd use the clinch a little more with some knees instead of just throwing out these wild haymakers.At this point it seems good to just have Wanderlei retire as sad as it is.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Wanderlei WAS that good though at one time being one of the best fighters in his heydown but hes not quite the same.Hes getting a lot like Chuck did at the end of his career.Not quite the same chin he use to have.You have to remember too that the fighters back then weren't quite the same they have now.I kinda wish he'd use the clinch a little more with some knees instead of just throwing out these wild haymakers.At this point it seems good to just have Wanderlei retire as sad as it is.[/QUOTE]

I said the same thing about Chuck in regards to throwing more leg kicks and actually trying to use his wrestling a little. It's just like flamethrowing pitchers discovering that they can't throw 98mph anymore and have to learn how to pitch. Or speedy point guards that have to learn how to shoot 3 pointers because they can't blow by people anymore. If you don't adapt your game, it will leave you behind.

wanderlei was THAT good, he is arguably the best 205'er in the history of the sport. but the sport evolves and damage takes its toll. He is a living legend, calling him overrated represents an opinion that isnt based on watching him live in years past. The guy was amazing and deserving of all the praise he receives.

Wanderlei is a true mma-warrior. Like Chuck he has been in many a war but now from the accumulation of great fights has a glass chin.

I must say anyone who hasn't should watch the first two Rampage vs Silva fights from Pride. Those are the fights that come to mind when I think of him as a fighter.

Shame that Wand played right into Leben's hand. With the surgery and all to help his cardio issues, I expected him try to bang for 3 rounds. It felt like he wanted to bring out the old soccer kicking Axe Murderer but that's no longer where he is at this stage of his career.

On a completely random side note, am I the only one that expects Leben to fall every time he throws a kick? Guy's got wicked KO power, but the kicks are abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back