Mmorpg

truhitman56

CAG Veteran
What are people's favorite mmo's and why? What are some of the up and coming mmo's that people are looking forward to. Lets get a good discussion going there could be some potential CAG clans forming in different mmo's.:D

What is Final Fantasy 11 like? I have heard a lot about it, but I still don't know how wonderful it is. I loved the FF Series, but is the mmo based on one direct story or not? WHat is the main objective?

FFXI is nothing like a regular FF game in that it's missing a story and there's no real object except finish quests.

[quote name='Vinny']FFXI is nothing like a regular FF game in that it's missing a story and there's no real object except finish quests.[/QUOTE]

So in other words it's FF Crystal Chronicles but with more than 4 players.;)

Ive played Ultima Online (3 1/2 years), Anarachy Online (1 year), Star wars Galaxy (1/2 year), Dark Age of Camelot (1 year), World of warcraft (from the start), and now City of Villains. Best so far, Ultima Online from 1997 to 2001, after the LBR expansion, the game went downhill. Oh and almost forgot Lineage 2

[quote name='zionoverfire']So in other words it's FF Crystal Chronicles but with more than 4 players.;)[/QUOTE]

Nah, CC was worse since if you wanted to play with more than one person, it would cost at least $70-100 (GBA and GC/GBA connector) per person back at the time.:lol:

WHat about Tabulas rasa
www.playtr.com
Has anybody heard any good previews from it? I like what I have seen from their site, but not sure of how good of a game it will be. I happen to be a fan of ncsoft, but who knows if this is going to be as successful as the other games. It seems to be all guns and healers not too much of anything else.

My EQ2 account turns 1 year old in a week and I haven't played much else since I started playing it. I guess I'm just hooked on the the combat and tradeskill setup and everybody seems to be very mature compared to other mmorpgs out there. I'm in a pretty cool guild too that keeps me going on it. The recent announcment of the second expansion has me licking my lips too.

Heh, also helps that I was just able to aquire 1 year worth of time cards for 40 percent off at media play :)

[quote name='truhitman56']Why do you say it isn't an mmo?[/QUOTE]

He means that Guild Wars is instanced and not seamless and continuous as MMOs are. If you kill something, it won't be dead for the next party since a new monster is created. It's not one world - it's thousands of small worlds for just you and your party. It's more comparable to Diablo than WoW.

I like Lineage II and City of Heroes, though I don't think either could compare to WoW in terms of gameplay. It's just that in L2 or COH, you have to actually take care not to die since the penalties are much more steep than in WoW (wow, fixing my equipment costs gold? That's really gonna teach me not to rush in again) and you actually have to work to level your character. In L2, you lose XP and possibly your equipment on death, and in COH, debt is really frustrating to work off, but definitely teaches you to play better.

I also like Urban Dead, which isn't a commercial game. You play it in your browser and try to survive a zombie apocalypse (or eat humans if you're a zombie). Check it out at www.urbandead.com.

[quote name='Vinny']FFXI is nothing like a regular FF game in that it's missing a story and there's no real object except finish quests.[/QUOTE]

There are many cutscenes and almost every quest in the game is, in some way, tied to the main storyline. I feel that out of all the mainstream MMOs, Final Fantasy XI has the most detailed and involving storyline inside of the game. Sure, games like WoW have this huge backstory that you need to read a novel to grasp, but FFXI doesn't need this. Its story is right in the game and the players experience it.

Sadly, there is a huge amount of mindless exp grind in the game, so the bits of the story appear more sparse than they really are.

[quote name='Zing']There are many cutscenes and almost every quest in the game is, in some way, tied to the main storyline. I feel that out of all the mainstream MMOs, Final Fantasy XI has the most detailed and involving storyline inside of the game. Sure, games like WoW have this huge backstory that you need to read a novel to grasp, but FFXI doesn't need this. Its story is right in the game and the players experience it.

Sadly, there is a huge amount of mindless exp grind in the game, so the bits of the story appear more sparse than they really are.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was like "WTF?" when I saw someone say FFXI didn't have a storyline. I saw my friend with WoW...and I was just not impressed. Not to mention people I met on FFXI, quit for WoW, then coming back.

I have to agree....the exp grind in FFXI blows, unless with a group of people you know, then ya can make your own fun and chat as you do kills. Definitely not a game if you like to do your own thing (after the last update, even Beastmasters are commonly looking for party as a change went into effect that doesn't it make it as easy to solo as before). Then again...I never understood some people who are just loners, coming into an MMO.

The stories are great though. Each starting nation has its own storyline as you move up on ranks (and at anytime change nation, though I would rather do a whole nation, then switch and see that story).

The expansion pack Rise of the Zilart which was included in the NA release has a good storyline, though most people once they reach "sky" or beat the Ark Angels, don't bother ending that chapter. There's just no reward at the end except a good job and pat on the back sort of thing.

The newest expansion Chains of Promathia is one of the best storylines really. Challenging to reach "sea" but with great cs, and plot. Not only that, but a choice of one of three different rings that are not sellable or tradeable, and are pretty much uber.

Plus many many many quests to keep you busy. Even the new NPC quest, where you get your own NPC and lvl him/her (I use her for farming pretty much and to keep going in the storyline which leads me to believe will lead to the new expansion being released this year).

Pros:

- Lots to do if you actually go out and do it. Not waiting around like I see a lot of people do.
- Missions, Quests, various stories to keep you entertained.
- Challenges vary from soloable to alliances of players.
- Great community.

Cons:

- Exp grind....it takes forever.
- Recent economy, prices are insanely high, especially since holidays just ended and it seemed Jr. got some gil for Christmas.
- Not much variation on mobs or armor (Though it is getting better on armor, but you see a lot wearing the same thing. If I see the samn damn crab over and over again with a different name and tougher just to lvl on.... >.

bread's done
Back