Mobo-memory compatability - Must it be "approved" to work?

nintendokid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
I've settled on an affordable 4GB (2x2GB) G-Skill memory (from newegg) to upgrade my system. Motherboard is Asus P7P55D LE. The concern is, there are three separate memory sets that are the same $75, but each with different speed - 1333 (PC10600), 1333 (PC10666), and 1600 (PC12800).

Of those, only the 1333 (PC10666) is listed in the "vendor memory list". Personally, I'm thinking if the PC10666 is approved, the lower and higher speed should automatically work since it's the same class/grade/group and same company. And it makes sense to buy the higher speed if price is the same. Am I right in thinking this? I know that CPU must match mobo specs exactly, but what about memory in general? Are these vendor lists pretty accurate and should be taken seriously?

(btw, have these 4GB memory gone down in price? I swore the last time I looked at them in august, they were $95)

yes, RAM has gotten cheaper recently

As long as your motherboard supports the type (DDR3, DDR2, w/e), if you buy higher speed RAM and your motherboard doesn't support the speed, it'll just default to something slower. it should still work.

Usually the vendor list just tells you RAM which they've tested which they know will work. it's something to look at, not something to abide by

Just an FYI, ASUS boards seem to be especially finicky with memory. I'd look online for an updated compatibilty list as incompatible RAM can lead to a useless black screen.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Just an FYI, ASUS boards seem to be especially finicky with memory. I'd look online for an updated compatibilty list as incompatible RAM can lead to a useless black screen.[/QUOTE]

I agree. ASUS motherboard RAM listings are something you may want to take into consideration much more than other mobo brands. I've had two ASUS builds not function until "recommended" RAM was used.

My last four builds have been with ASUS boards, and I have to echo the above. They are very particular about what ram you use.

Honestly it has never been an issue for me, as I'd rather buy quality ram rather than buy slightly faster ram. However I'm one of those folks who also doesn't overclock. (I live in a very very hot place, and I don't air condition the house to below 80f. So I prefer stability over a five frame per second increase in a video game.)

bread's done
Back