Modding my Super Nintendo.

Sinnbox

CAGiversary!
I modded one of my super nintendo's to play imports by breaking the tabs in the cart slot, I tried my Japaneese Chrono Trigger cart and it worked great, bit I was told that most japaneese carts wont work on a US SNES even with the tabs removed. I want to know if that is true before I buy anymore Japaneese carts. I am not wanting to get anything with alot of reading, mostly action stuff that takes no reading.

I've never heard of games that won't work once the tabs are broken off, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I always thought that the only thing that kept Japanese SNES games from playing on an American system was the fact that they wouldn't fit because of the tabs.

I remember my friend had some sort of attachment thing, that went on the bottom of Japanese games before going into the slot. Kind of like how Game Genies would work, but much smaller.

My other friend would just saw the corners off the carts itself. Though I don't remember if that was for SFC carts to go in a SNES or the other way around.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I modded one of my super nintendo's to play imports by breaking the tabs in the cart slot, I tried my Japaneese Chrono Trigger cart and it worked great, bit I was told that most japaneese carts wont work on a US SNES even with the tabs removed. I want to know if that is true before I buy anymore Japaneese carts. I am not wanting to get anything with alot of reading, mostly action stuff that takes no reading.[/QUOTE]
Lies. I've yet to find a Super Famicom cart that doesn't work in my SNES, and I "modded" my system the same way you did.

... Of course, now I own two Super Famicom systems too.

[quote name='addicted2games']I wish I could get my Terranigma to work. I insert it into my SNES and it shows nothing.[/quote]

Do you got an English Terranigma? If so then you have the PAL version right there and it doesn't display on NTSC television.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Lies. I've yet to find a Super Famicom cart that doesn't work in my SNES, and I "modded" my system the same way you did.

... Of course, now I own two Super Famicom systems too.[/quote]

Indeed, they should be 100% compatible. Aside from the shape of the cartridge and some minor differences in the power supply the hardware is 100% identical. This goes for games, certain peripherals (the Bandai Satelliview) might not work due to the different shape of the SNES's case, but if you hacked that away theoretically it should work. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

On a slightly different subject, it should be noted that PAL SNES controllers will not work with a US SNES or a Super Famicom. I believe there is a chip that effectively region locks the controllers. There is a way around it however, Google should be able to dig it up should anyone run in to this problem.

[quote name='Paco']Do you got an English Terranigma? If so then you have the PAL version right there and it doesn't display on NTSC television.[/QUOTE]

So I spent $90( it is complete in box) on nothing. Damn! Might as well sell it on ebay to international bidders then.

From Wikipedia
"Nintendo employed several types of regional lockout, including both physical and hardware incompatibilities.
On a physical level, the cartridges are shaped differently for different regions. North American cartridges have a rectangular bottom with inset grooves matching protruding tabs in the console, while other regions' cartridges are narrower with a smooth curve on the front and no grooves. The physical incompatibility can be overcome with use of various adapters, or through modification of the console.Internally, a regional lockout chip (CIC) within the console and in each cartridge prevents PAL region games from being played on Japanese or North American consoles and vice versa. The Japanese and North American machines have the same region chip. The console CIC releases the reset signal to the rest of the system only after completing a handshake with the chip in the cartridge. This can be overcome through the use of adapters, typically by inserting the imported cartridge in one slot and a cartridge with the correct region chip in a second slot. Alternatively, disconnecting one pin of the console's lockout chip will prevent it from locking the console; hardware in later games can detect this situation, so it later became common to install a switch to reconnect the lockout chip as needed. PAL consoles face another incompatibility when playing out-of-region cartridges: the NTSC video standard specifies video at 60 Hz while PAL operates at 50 Hz, resulting in approximately 16.7% slower gameplay. Additionally, PAL's higher resolution results in letterboxing of the output image. Some commercial PAL region releases exhibit this same problem and therefore can be played in NTSC systems without issue, while others will face a 20% speedup if played in an NTSC console. To mostly correct this issue, a switch can be added to place the SNES PPU into a 60 Hz mode supported by most PAL televisions. Later games will detect this setting and refuse to run, requiring the switch to be thrown only after the check completes."

bread's done
Back